Class Of 2018!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ah yes, that is very easy to do! I originally had a list of 19 that I had to cut down and eliminate all those schools that I wasn't totally serious about.

I think "from premedical science professions" basically means a BCPM professor, rather than someone who taught, for example, a Health and Wellness class which, though science, isn't really BCPM. I agree this is poorly written :confused:

Cool, cool. I honestly don't even want to go to Howard so I'm just going to take that school off my list :p

In other news, 2 more letters from my research PI came in today! Now just waiting for final 2 from my last science professor.
Since I don't really NEED that final science (Howard is only school on my list that requires 2 science [which is now gone off my list], and Morehouse only recommends 2 science), I'm going to wait and not bother rushing him for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, Howard has some confusing information on LORs, hopefully someone can help me with this.

Does 'from premedical science professions' from professors who taught the prereqs (gen chem, organic, physics & bio)???

I've currently got letters from 1 science, 1 non-science and 1 that can be considered science if AMCAS categorizes his course as BCPM.

There are many schools that want two science letters. I would try to find letters that are definitely science letters. There were people who's letter was not considered science LOR's by a school and thus did not meet the requirement to apply. They found the school did not consider one of their letters science letters after wasting the 28 dollars to apply.

Cool, cool. I honestly don't even want to go to Howard so I'm just going to take that school off my list :p

In other news, 2 more letters from my research PI came in today! Now just waiting for final 2 from my last science professor.
Since I don't really NEED that final science (Howard is only school on my list that requires 2 science [which is now gone off my list], and Morehouse only recommends 2 science), I'm going to wait and not bother rushing him for it.

Howard was taken off my list as well, but for a completely different reason. My 2016 peeps know the deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many schools that want two science letters. I would try to find letters that are definitely science letters. There were people who's letter was not considered science LOR's by a school and thus did not meet the requirement to apply. They found the school did not consider one of their letters science letters after wasting the 28 dollars to apply.

I've checked the requirements for every single school that I'm applying to. Only 2 want more than 1 science letter (Howard and Morehouse, and Morehouse is only recommended). Directly from my meticulous spreadsheet:

2z908w7.png

Howard was taken off my list as well, but for a completely different reason. My 2016 peeps know the deal.

I've heard mixed things about Howard. Of course it's in DC so it would be awesome to live in the city.

I've heard mixed things about Howard. Of course it's in DC so it would be awesome to live in the city.

The DC was awesome and I'd totally could see myself living there for 4 years. Which is why I'm gonna add GWU to my list (no GTown, not after Jalby's thread :laugh: )

In other news, yesterday was a complete wash for MCAT studies. I'm gonna have to triple my efforts today to stay on pace before I start my practice tests.

The DC was awesome and I'd totally could see myself living there for 4 years. Which is why I'm gonna add GWU to my list (no GTown, not after Jalby's thread :laugh: )

GWU is on my list too. I was considering Georgetown but I don't wanna take any other school off my list lol. Keeping it at FAP covered 14.

GWU is on my list too. I was considering Georgetown but I don't wanna take any other school off my list lol. Keeping it at FAP covered 14.

Since you'll be getting your secondaries waived, why not apply to more? an additional $35 here or there shouldn't be too bad, right?

Since you'll be getting your secondaries waived, why not apply to more? an additional $35 here or there shouldn't be too bad, right?

Hmm, I never thought about that.

There are about 5 more schools I want to apply to.... SS you're onto something.

Nope. Your knighthood is removed. You are auctioned off to joonage, since he paid me $2000 to buy you. Enjoy!

I don't recall buying anybody. :rolleyes:

Finally finalized my school list...12 schools! Wish I could apply to so many more but I just don't have the time off or the money to do all that traveling!

Nice! You're bound to get lots of love with them stats of yours!

:thumbup: I just sent in my letter from Interfolio to AMCAS ... $6 ... Not expensive, but I wish I had known about the AMCAS letter service before signing up for Interfolio last year. :laugh:

I love DC. :love: So much history~~~ I have both GWU and G-Town on my list. Although the Jalby thread does seem scary ... haha

I did hear that G-Town is one of the most rigorous cut-throat programs. However, residencies love G-Town applicants since they know that the students are ready for the rigor. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I've checked the requirements for every single school that I'm applying to. Only 2 want more than 1 science letter (Howard and Morehouse, and Morehouse is only recommended). Directly from my meticulous spreadsheet:

2z908w7.png

Cool. Looks like your on top of it.

I'll probably be submitting my AMCAS at the end of June/Beginning of July anyway. Gives me more time to focus on the MCAT and my class. Ugh stupid MCAT.

Cool. Looks like your on top of it.

I try.

Jeff's office can attest to my record keeping when it comes to school selection. I've got every possible thing there is to know about a school's admission process all in that spreadsheet.

I have DISSECTED the MSAR

2z908w7.png

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a serious spreadsheet.

Doesn't GWU get over 14,000 applications every year? :scared: Not very good odds.

And my school list is now at 18, thanks to sound advice from SS (and another poster who's handle I can't think of that recommended I do that a few weeks ago). Decided to keep Howard, eh who knows

Couldn't add NY Med because of the biochem requirement :(:(:mad::(:(

No school has good odds, actually. I doubt there's any school with an acceptance rate of 10%.

But no school has that many applications either. There are schools with bad odds and then there is GWU. :(

What am I gonna do with my day off?

Have lunch with a friend I haven't seen in a year and finish my app! I only have 2 small things left. I'm sure the person who started the 'Pissed' thread is upset s/he'll be submitting the same day as me. :shrug:

In other news, I love my job! Have I said that before? Because I really do! :love:

Actually, it's the same.

As for the "10%" , there are several (IIRC), if you live in the right state. Indiana comes to mind.

Mayo: 50/4332 x 100 = 1.15%
GW: 177/14509 x 100 = 1.22%

I'm not counting IS only. Many institutions have over 10% if you only consider instate applicants, but Indiana is 8.48% counting both IS and OOS. IS only is an outstanding 38.73%.

And my school list is now at 18, thanks to sound advice from SS (and another poster who's handle I can't think of that recommended I do that a few weeks ago). Decided to keep Howard, eh who knows

Couldn't add NY Med because of the biochem requirement :(:(:mad::(:(

Remember, Howard doesn't waive their secondary fee. I believe its $75 or so. You should still be in good standing money wise though

Top? Time for some 2000s Musical Goodness

[YOUTUBE]LHgbzNHVg0c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Uh5mEat46fc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bbDVA5nJW2Y[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
:spam:

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

sigh ... o-chem lab has found a way to still bite me in butt even with only a week left ...

My derivative doesn't match up with my hypothesized unknown ... sigh ...

Remember, Howard doesn't waive their secondary fee. I believe its $75 or so. You should still be in good standing money wise though

That is so silly. Seriously the only school of my list that doesn't waive it.

At the time you submit, do you have to pay then? I'm going to have to submit from my phone Monday morning and can't go through the credit card payment process at that time. May have to do the initial submit and add the schools once I get home.

Or I may just keep my original 14 and just say the hell with it. f this is stressing

That is so silly. Seriously the only school of my list that doesn't waive it.

At the time you submit, do you have to pay then? I'm going to have to submit from my phone Monday morning and can't go through the credit card payment process at that time. May have to do the initial submit and add the schools once I get home.

Or I may just keep my original 14 and just say the hell with it. f this is stressing

You pay them once you send in the secondary. They still had a paper secondary when I applied so you sent in the check with the secondary. It's what's needed to mark you complete.

You pay them once you send in the secondary. They still had a paper secondary when I applied so you sent in the check with the secondary. It's what's needed to mark you complete.

I mean paying for primary, it's 35 bucks for every school over 14.

I'm pretty sure you can add them later. You only need one school to start the verification process.

Cool, thanks I'm pretty sure I can too.

Going to possible add:

Michigan State
Medical College of Wisconsin
Loma Linda
Temple or Drexel
University of Miami
Georgetown

Cool, thanks I'm pretty sure I can too.

Going to possible add:

Michigan State
Loma Linda
Temple or Drexel
University of Miami
Georgetown

Meh. Other threads were saying that Loma Linda was more of a "religiously"-oriented school (although I could be wrong -- SS or others could correct me). Drexel's just too expensive with too many applicants. Other than that, good list.

Meh. Other threads were saying that Loma Linda was more of a "religiously"-oriented school (although I could be wrong -- SS or others could correct me). Drexel's just too expensive with too many applicants. Other than that, good list.

Yeah apparently you have to agree to abstain from a bunch of really cool stuff if you want to go to Loma Linda. I probably won't apply there because I love doing all of the really cool stuff I would have to promise not to do.

I put Temple or Drexel because I couldn't remember which one has been toted as being in the bad neighborhoods of Philly. One was in a safe environment and the other wasn't.

Drexel is in the middle of the city and you have to take a shuttle from the medical school to the teaching hospital. Temple is unfortunately the school in the unsafe environment (at least the undergrad and associated schools are).

Dang, well just forget both of those schools then.

What about Jefferson? It's in downtown I think near the river. Also, only like a 10 min transit to UPenn. They get a lot of applicants too but better choice than Drexel or Temple imo.

Also, MSU and Wisc are pretty in-state biased schools are they not? Wouldn't hurt to try but just saying if finances are a problem.

What about Jefferson? It's in downtown I think near the river. Also, only like a 10 min transit to UPenn. They get a lot of applicants too but better choice than Drexel or Temple imo.

Also, MSU and Wisc are pretty in-state biased schools are they not? Wouldn't hurt to try but just saying if finances are a problem.

My numbers are too low for Jefferson I think. Haven't checked.

MSU is heavily instate biased, but Med College of Wisconsin isn't, it's private with 53% of the class as OOS. The University of Wisconsin on the other hand is very IS biased.

Remove Temple, Loma Linda & MSU. This list gets smaller and smaller lol, you guys are saving me cash, thanks.

OK, Jefferson is in my range. And it's private which is a huge plus for me (don't have to worry about IS bias or having ties)

Thomas Jefferson
University of Miami
Georgetown

The AMCAS delay has been much appreciated by me. I'm currently sitting at 13 activities, though, and not sure if I should break up an activity that I had grouped into two separate activities. At the same time, I can't really see a reason to split up the activity (shadowing, for what it's worth). Thoughts?

Just found out my MCAT date is going to be in Ramadan..., I'm pretty sure I should reschedule to August, thoughts?

Just found out my MCAT date is going to be in Ramadan..., I'm pretty sure I should reschedule to August, thoughts?

Depends. Are you Islamic? If yes, consider a reschedule. If no, I don't think it would affect you.

My numbers are too low for Jefferson I think. Haven't checked.

MSU is heavily instate biased, but Med College of Wisconsin isn't, it's private with 53% of the class as OOS. The University of Wisconsin on the other hand is very IS biased.

Remove Temple, Loma Linda & MSU. This list gets smaller and smaller lol, you guys are saving me cash, thanks.

:thumbup:

The AMCAS delay has been much appreciated by me. I'm currently sitting at 13 activities, though, and not sure if I should break up an activity that I had grouped into two separate activities. At the same time, I can't really see a reason to split up the activity (shadowing, for what it's worth). Thoughts?

I wouldn't bother splitting it up; shadowing is pretty self-explanatory. Do you have any hobbies you might want to add?

You're actually the only Muslim Hispanic I have known (although anonymously). :eek: Not intending to flame (but my general naiveté), but there aren't Spanish Muslim countries, are there?