Class Of 2018!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, has anyone decided where they will be going yet? So curious to see where everyone ends up!

Members don't see this ad.

So, has anyone decided where they will be going yet? So curious to see where everyone ends up!

The University of Miami! How about you?

Reactions: 1 user
Well there are waitlists that I'm waiting on, so not yet. I'm still going over in my mind about the schools I'm waitlisted at comparing them to the one I'm accepted at and seeing where I'd best fit in. So far, I still like everything about all the schools :depressed::depressed:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well there are waitlists that I'm waiting on, so not yet. I'm still going over in my mind about the schools I'm waitlisted at comparing them to the one I'm accepted at and seeing where I'd best fit in. So far, I still like everything about all the schools :depressed::depressed:

So true. Ask me again in a few months and hopefully I'll be able to answer :eek:. Hopefully SS and I will be chillin' in Los Angeles:cool:. @bakedbeans18 , if I recall correctly I saw you say somewhere that you are accepted to Miami and Duke, I'm curious, why did you choose Miami? Of course Miami is a good school but most people on this site at least would jump at the opportunity to attend Duke.

So true. Ask me again in a few months and hopefully I'll be able to answer :eek:. Hopefully SS and I will be chillin' in Los Angeles:cool:. @bakedbeans18 , if I recall correctly I saw you say somewhere that you are accepted to Miami and Duke, I'm curious, why did you choose Miami? Of course Miami is a good school but most people on this site at least would jump at the opportunity to attend Duke.

a few of us convinced him to do this. mwahahaha. jk but actually there was a discussion in here about it. and it pretty much came down to bakedbeans liked nothing about Duke compared to Miami

I didn't like North Carolina....like at all. I'd much prefer to be in a big city like Boston, SFO, Miami, etc. I also did not like the research year that is built into the curriculum. I feel that as a medical student I should be able to do as much or as little research as I wish. For the same reasons, I withdrew my applications/declined acceptances from schools that required some kind of community service activity. Again, I should be able to do as little or as much of this as I want. This sentiment really rings at Miami - the medical students are very happy and I think that is largely due to the freedom they have to do whatever they wish outside of the classroom, be it research, volunteering, etc. Everyone is telling me that I'm crazy for choosing Miami, but I feel like I'm making the right decision for me, and thats what counts the most. I don't think there will be any ill consequences on where I do my clinical training either - Miami has a great match, consistently.

Reactions: 1 users
Boy Meets Buffer

tumblr_lehjutU3gV1qb6bqmo1_400.png

@Reckoner and @Ace-Co-A stunned :wideyed:

Members don't see this ad :)
is this true? (also unofficial for me though.. there is still a decision to be made)

Ohhhh. I thought you had made your decision, although I can see why it would be a tough one. Enjoy!

The University of Miami! How about you?

You're heading to Vandy right?

Most likely, but I'm still not sure!
Everyone is telling me that I'm crazy for choosing Miami, but I feel like I'm making the right decision for me, and thats what counts the most. I don't think there will be any ill consequences on where I do my clinical training either - Miami has a great match, consistently.

Wow, this sounds a lot like what I've been going through. Ever since I got into Vanderbilt, people would think I'm silly for saying how much I loved Virginia. People think I'm crazy for even considering attending UVA, which makes it difficult to think clearly about which place would be best for me. Truth be told, I've been kind of torturing myself with this decision for the last couple of days. One minute I'm ready to move to Nashville, the next I'm reminiscing about my visit to Monticello. Ugh.

Most likely, but I'm still not sure!

Wow, this sounds a lot like what I've been going through. Ever since I got into Vanderbilt, people would think I'm silly for saying how much I loved Virginia. People think I'm crazy for even considering attending UVA, which makes it difficult to think clearly about which place would be best for me.

Poor @Ace-Co-A... at least he has @Oso to give him company at UVA! :biglove:

Nope @Endure is coming to UVA with me and @terp720

Ace, ever since I saw that you withdrew from Temple, I've been curious -- what made you decide against an MD/PhD? I made the same decision prior to applying, but now I'm having second thoughts and am considering applying internally once I matriculate.

Ace, ever since I saw that you withdrew from Temple, I've been curious -- what made you decide against an MD/PhD?

The reasons are somewhat complex. Simply put, though, it's because I couldn't see myself investing 4 years into a PhD if there wasn't a problem I was passionate about working on going into it. I think doing my MD first gives me the opportunity to learn more and to have more diverse experiences in research (e.g., with clinical projects) before making decisions about what kind of research I want to do.

@Oso you're going to UVA? Did we meet at Second Look and I didn't know it? :bag:

ha no.. that's just Agent B being Agent B...

I didn't apply to UVA (lame, I know). Had I applied, accepted, and attended second look, I definitely would have contacted you about meeting up beforehand.

ha no.. that's just Agent B being Agent B...

I didn't apply to UVA (lame, I know). Had I applied, accepted, and attended second look, I definitely would have contacted you about meeting up beforehand.

Oh so you and @terp720 will be matriculating at Northwestern! congrats!

Sorry @Ace-Co-A you're all alone.

I wish I was matriculating with someone at NWern. It was my top choice. UVA was among the first schools I applied to (early...this is SDN, after all) and among the first to give my application a foot in the ass. I wish there was someone here to accompany me to Miami...FOREVER ALONE.

I wish I was matriculating with someone at NWern. It was my top choice. UVA was among the first schools I applied to (early...this is SDN, after all) and among the first to give my application a foot in the ass. I wish there was someone here to accompany me to Miami...FOREVER ALONE.

There is someone famous who'll go to Miami. So famous he was forgotten :naughty:

.... or was he? :eek:

lol no, terpity terpalicious @terp720 has withdrawn from NU because it wasn't minion-y enough. I also have not decided on a school yet.

I could have gone to Miami... but now that option is gone forever. Sorry beans.

Also, a serious congrats to @asebasp on Baylor and to @Endure -- you will do awesome at whichever school you choose!

Reactions: 1 users
The reasons are somewhat complex. Simply put, though, it's because I couldn't see myself investing 4 years into a PhD if there wasn't a problem I was passionate about working on going into it. I think doing my MD first gives me the opportunity to learn more and to have more diverse experiences in research (e.g., with clinical projects) before making decisions about what kind of research I want to do.

I thought maybe it was because you didn't want to go to school in third world country-like surroundings. Yes, I know, I know, Temple is safe and nothing happens to the med students there, but I just couldn't envision myself going to school in such a dangerous neighborhood.

Wow, this sounds a lot like what I've been going through. Ever since I got into Vanderbilt, people would think I'm silly for saying how much I loved Virginia. People think I'm crazy for even considering attending UVA, which makes it difficult to think clearly about which place would be best for me. Truth be told, I've been kind of torturing myself with this decision for the last couple of days. One minute I'm ready to move to Nashville, the next I'm reminiscing about my visit to Monticello. Ugh.

Endure, honestly I think it's hard for anyone to really distinguish between schools of similar caliber. UVA and Vandy are both in the top 25, and you can't go wrong attending either, so really your decision should come down to what you are looking for in a program, and what kind of lifestyle you would like - Nashville has so much more going on outside of the university than does Charlottesville, so if I was in your shoes, you can tell my decision would have nothing to do with the university and everything to so with location. If you like Virginia and all it has to offer (and by it I mean the state...) then call it a day at go to UVA? Besides, wouldn't you rather be a cavalier than a commodore? lol - all told, I think you'll be well poised for a promising career in medicine at either school - so go with your gut, or ignore prestige, and just stay true to yourself! By the way, CONGRATS!

Dang it! I didn't know the whole Class of 2018 thread was supposed to go to UVA/meet up at the second look weekend! You guys should've told me this a year ago so I could've applied there!!!! :slap:

woah I don't know what just happened.. but for the record, I did withdraw from Northwestern. My decision is currently between UVA and UVM.

@Oso and I will not be classmates at NU.
@Ace-Co-A and I very well may be classmates at UVA.. but not sure

and @Endure UVA is still a great school, so if you really do like it more than Vandy.... for reference, everyone I work with told me to pick UVA over Northwestern and Emory (if I had stayed on the waitlist)

Endure, honestly I think it's hard for anyone to really distinguish between schools of similar caliber. UVA and Vandy are both in the top 25, and you can't go wrong attending either, so really your decision should come down to what you are looking for in a program, and what kind of lifestyle you would like - Nashville has so much more going on outside of the university than does Charlottesville, so if I was in your shoes, you can tell my decision would have nothing to do with the university and everything to so with location. If you like Virginia and all it has to offer (and by it I mean the state...) then call it a day at go to UVA? Besides, wouldn't you rather be a cavalier than a commodore? lol - all told, I think you'll be well poised for a promising career in medicine at either school - so go with your gut, or ignore prestige, and just stay true to yourself! By the way, CONGRATS!

I agree with bakedbeans18. Maybe its because I'm from the South but I think Vanderbilt and UVA are both top tier and you wouldn't be significantly advantaged or disadvantaged by going to either.

woah I don't know what just happened.. but for the record, I did withdraw from Northwestern. My decision is currently between UVA and UVM.

@Oso and I will not be classmates at NU.
@Ace-Co-A and I very well may be classmates at UVA.. but not sure

and @Endure UVA is still a great school, so if you really do like it more than Vandy.... for reference, everyone I work with told me to pick UVA over Northwestern and Emory (if I had stayed on the waitlist)

@Oso also withdrew from NU to follow wherever you go. He and @Ace-Co-A are sworn enemies