Class Of 2018!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Classic derpy
barney+shrug.gif

Members don't see this ad.

So in March I submitted one of my papers to a fairly respected journal in my field. It took 10 weeks to review, and was rejected. The reviewer comments were pretty useless, and you could tell the rejection was primarily political. Oh well.

Submitted it to another journal the next week. It has now been another 10 weeks. On top of that, the impact factor of this journal was a respectful 3.5 when I submitted, and it has since dropped to 1.5 (unless that's a typo on their website). Ugh.

First world problems, I know. But the journal submission process is almost as obnoxious as the med school application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
So in March I submitted one of my papers to a fairly respected journal in my field. It took 10 weeks to review, and was rejected. The reviewer comments were pretty useless, and you could tell the rejection was primarily political. Oh well.

Submitted it to another journal the next week. It has now been another 10 weeks. On top of that, the impact factor of this journal was a respectful 3.5 when I submitted, and it has since dropped to 1.5 (unless that's a typo on their website). Ugh.

:( Do the reviewers from your first journal have some kind of issue with your PI/collaborators? On a more positive note, you still have 10 other papers to look forward to getting published. :)

:( Do the reviewers from your first journal have some kind of issue with your PI/collaborators? On a more positive note, you still have 10 other papers to look forward to getting published. :)

Nah, not directly. It is partially because it is a clinical journal and my PI has "PhD" behind his name rather than "MD". The project is translational and has clear clinical relevance, but alas. The other part is that this journal is notorious for being an "Impact Factor *****" over the last two or three years. Despite it being a fairly average journal on the IF scale (~3.7), it has recently been very choosy, with the aim of picking articles that will be highly cited, thus boosting their IF.

Haha for even more context - I submitted a middle-author paper to this same journal a couple months ago. Again, 8 weeks review, and rejected straight up. We submitted to another journal that is clearly superior in both opinion and metrics (IF ~10.5), and it was accepted pending revisions today.

#humblebrag

Nah dawg. I'm actually struggling to put this into words. I love research and I love publishing, but I have reached the point where I expect myself to constantly produce. Successes (i.e. pubs) are less celebrated and more expected. Hopefully that doesn't sound conceited or boastful, because that's clearly not the intent. It has just become my view.

Nah, not directly. It is partially because it is a clinical journal and my PI has "PhD" behind his name rather than "MD". The project is translational and has clear clinical relevance, but alas. The other part is that this journal is notorious for being an "Impact Factor *****" over the last two or three years. Despite it being a fairly average journal on the IF scale (~3.7), it has recently been very choosy, with the aim of picking articles that will be highly cited, thus boosting their IF.

Haha for even more context - I submitted a middle-author paper to this same journal a couple months ago. Again, 8 weeks review, and rejected straight up. We submitted to another journal that is clearly superior in both opinion and metrics (IF ~10.5), and it was accepted pending revisions today.

Lol I guess you guys won't be submitting to that journal anymore then? ;)

Lol I guess you guys won't be submitting to that journal anymore then? ;)

Unfortunately, it is the official journal of the AUA, which is the leading advocacy group for my field. Which means I'm obligated to publish - or at least try to publish - in this journal :(

Nah dawg. I'm actually struggling to put this into words. I love research and I love publishing, but I have reached the point where I expect myself to constantly produce. Successes (i.e. pubs) are less celebrated and more expected. Hopefully that doesn't sound conceited or boastful, because that's clearly not the intent. It has just become my view.
#humbleswag

And before you say anything, I'll respond to your email soon! lol

The Michelin Man/bunny always puts a smile on my face.

Today was my last day of work before medical school!!! Bring on the relaxation!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unpacking in my new apartment. Lots of alcohol required to power through this.

Reactions: 8 users
Made it to the other side of orientation today finally got my white coat and everything. Its really happening yall!! Gonna change my status

Reactions: 7 users
Made it to the other side of orientation today finally got my white coat and everything. Its really happening yall!! Gonna change my status

For he's a jolly good fellow! For he's a jolly good fellow! For he's a jolly good fellow! Which nobody can deny!

:claps:

Every time I read about the gene sonic hedgehog, I think of this guy:

sonic-the-hedgehog_1318971647.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Every time I read about the gene sonic hedgehog, I think of this guy:

sonic-the-hedgehog_1318971647.jpg
I heard someone talking about sonic (the game) a couple weeks ago, and my first thought was dorsoventral patterning of the neural tube.

I need to spend less time in the lab.

I heard someone talking about sonic (the game) a couple weeks ago, and my first thought was dorsoventral patterning of the neural tube.

I need to spend less time in the lab.

Shh, bitches

Really liking my classmates so far. Everyone seems very nice and down to earth. I just hope I can remember names!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!!! Long time no talk! Good to see a lot of familiar faces still hanging around and a whole crop of new people I don't recognize at all, hahah. I'm guessing most of you are oriented/orienting around now :D SO. WHAT'S NEW???? REVEAL TO ME ALL THE GOSSIPS!!

Also...am I still allowed to post here given I'll technically be c/o 2019? :p

Reactions: 3 users
I also just realized that I'm stuck with the "Pre-Medical" status for one more year :laugh: Appalled that SDN doesn't have a special "Mayor of Deferral Land" status. Pshhhawww.

Hi everyone!!! Long time no talk! Good to see a lot of familiar faces still hanging around and a whole crop of new people I don't recognize at all, hahah. I'm guessing most of you are oriented/orienting around now :D SO. WHAT'S NEW???? REVEAL TO ME ALL THE GOSSIPS!!

Lol you'll still be a part of us. :) in terms of gossip, so many people have started school already! It's making me excited to start! Plus Agent B is back with a new SDN handle. ;)

Unfortunately, it is the official journal of the AUA, which is the leading advocacy group for my field. Which means I'm obligated to publish - or at least try to publish - in this journal :(

:(... At least you'll have more opportunities in med school right?

Orientation was great, slightly hungover from yesterday's festivities. My classmates are great, I love medical school.

At least until classes start on Monday :depressed:

Reactions: 5 users
Really liking my classmates so far. Everyone seems very nice and down to earth. I just hope I can remember names!

Names get easier with time. Hopefully, the same is true for the back muscles and their innervations.

SO. WHAT'S NEW???? REVEAL TO ME ALL THE GOSSIPS!!

Well Master Yoda, I hear Haribo Sugar-free Gummy Bears are fantastic. Just remember, do or do not, there is no try.

Well Master Yoda, I hear Haribo Sugar-free Gummy Bears are fantastic. Just remember, do or do not, there is no try.

Ahhhh, Master Robin, with Haribo Sugar-free Gummy Bears, only do-do, there is. HMMMmmmm.

Maybe by bein' an A student baby, I can win your love for me.

Don't know much about history, don't know much biology (not really), don't know much about a science book, don't know much about the French I took...

Moving into the new apartment today. It's gonna be a throwback-kinda day...

Maybe by bein' an A student baby, I can win your love for me.

Don't know much about history, don't know much biology (not really), don't know much about a science book, don't know much about the French I took...

Moving into the new apartment today. It's gonna be a throwback-kinda day...

I forgot how much of a pain moving is! Moved in yesterday, white coat ceremony today :)

Just finished my first interview for my gap year position in Korea! Getting jealous of your white coat ceremonies :D

Reactions: 3 users
Just finished my first interview for my gap year position in Korea! Getting jealous of your white coat ceremonies :D

I'm sure we will all be jealous of your gap year in Korea in a few months :p

Was that your facial expression in the anatomy lab?

Protip: Double your gloves.
Last time I double wrapped, it led to a baby. Will my cadaver have a baby?