Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Half our class is sick/getting sick. I did a lot of sleeping this past weekend and it's been getting better. Try to get some rest!
Same :(

Also: anatomy was fine until it was vessels and nerves. :help:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Really? Vessels and nerves I understand easily. Muscles and bones, however . . .
It's not so much understanding them as it is finding them....we were advised to cut the majority of our vessels. They have since shrunk into their respective halves. Nerves....don't even get me started.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not so much understanding them as it is finding them....we were advised to cut the majority of our vessels. They have since shrunk into their respective halves. Nerves....don't even get me started.
Oh yeah finding them is a pain. We start dissecting them on Wednesday. I'm sure it'll be extra hard for my group because our dog had nerve damage in its hind legs so most of the muscles back there are 1/4 of the size they should be. Even our professor couldn't find most of the muscles we had to dissect. >.<

Oh yeah finding them is a pain. We start dissecting them on Wednesday. I'm sure it'll be extra hard for my group because our dog had nerve damage in its hind legs so most of the muscles back there are 1/4 of the size they should be. Even our professor couldn't find most of the muscles we had to dissect. >.<
Oh geez. We started with the forelimb...hopefully we'll be wiser for the hindlimb

Aww man..just had my first vet school complete breakdown! Who's with me?!

Really? Vessels and nerves I understand easily. Muscles and bones, however . . .
Just had our exam on the forelimb and hindlimb and trying to remember all of the actions, origins, insertions, inervations, and arterial supply for the muscles was the worst!

Just had our exam on the forelimb and hindlimb and trying to remember all of the actions, origins, insertions, inervations, and arterial supply for the muscles was the worst!
:arghh:

At least my palpation exam is out of the way..time to focus on the rest of my midterm

Arterial supply coild be worse but who am I kidding? I'm probably going to walk into my midterm Friday
:arghh:

At least my palpation exam is out of the way..time to focus on the rest of my midterm
I didn't feel great about that palpation quiz. I don't know what triggered it but as soon as I walked into my stall a switch flipped in my brain and I was a nervous wreck. Pretty sure I failed as a result (because I second guessed myself).

Midterm has been a series of ups and downs. I feel so guilty that I didn't study more when I was sick now. :( Gotta keep telling myself that a weekend of being ill =/= failing vet school forever. Even IF I don't do as well as I'd like to on this exam...

Hope everyone else is hanging in there all right.

First anatomy exam is quickly approaching...deep breath.

Your exam was just on the forelimb and hindlimb?! Our first exam is on the entire dog! Muscles, nerves, vessels, bones, organs.... EVERYTHING! I'm kind of jealous right now.

Your exam was just on the forelimb and hindlimb?! Our first exam is on the entire dog! Muscles, nerves, vessels, bones, organs.... EVERYTHING! I'm kind of jealous right now.
Idk, I think I prefer penn's format of whole dog... We still have to know all of the previous stuff on each exam, so you just get hit with one test instead of 4....

Everyone thinks the grass is always greener on the "other side". I mean, I had one anatomy exam covering ALL of anatomy and we went through ALL of anatomy in five weeks. And by all I mean, dog, cat, cow, horse, pig, etc. We did ALL of anatomy in five weeks and had one exam to encompass the whole thing. At that point, I wished it was all spread out like it is at other schools. Looking back on it now, I am not convinced it would have made a big difference. I am just as knowledgeable as my classmates with anatomy.... it just kind of sucked at that time. But, at least I was only tortured with anatomy for five weeks instead of a whole year... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone thinks the grass is always greener on the "other side". I mean, I had one anatomy exam covering ALL of anatomy and we went through ALL of anatomy in five weeks. And by all I mean, dog, cat, cow, horse, pig, etc. We did ALL of anatomy in five weeks and had one exam to encompass the whole thing. At that point, I wished it was all spread out like it is at other schools. Looking back on it now, I am not convinced it would have made a big difference. I am just as knowledgeable as my classmates with anatomy.... it just kind of sucked at that time. But, at least I was only tortured with anatomy for five weeks instead of a whole year... ;)
Glad you said this. I was thinking about how to say it right. My brain doesn't work currently though. :)

It's an SOV game. I was going to get shafted anyway.
Wha? NEVA!!!!!!!!!!! You are still my boss, I will always fight for your rights and sacrifice myself in your place.

giphy.gif

This thread has been kinda quiet except for a few peoples. What's up with the shyness 2019?! I will be joining you in your 3rd year, so I expect lots o' jabber so I know who you are. :=|:-):
No shyness just been crazy busy! How have things been going on your end? :)

No shyness just been crazy busy! How have things been going on your end? :)
Finishing up ch 1 of my phd, trying like mad to get literature going on the rest, teaching some Histo to newbs, and fighting my desire to drop all of it and return to animation. How's bout' you?

Idk, I think I prefer penn's format of whole dog... We still have to know all of the previous stuff on each exam, so you just get hit with one test instead of 4....
Lol, not really, though :p You can pretty much purge after each exam.

Lol, not really, though :p You can pretty much purge after each exam.
Yeah, if I remember correctly, the cumulative stuff on each exam was either really easy or something I wouldn't have gotten the first time around anyways, so all in all it's not too bad..... well as "not bad" as anatomy can get :p

First real exam of vet school :confused::eek:

Well just our first exam, we have another exam and then a final which is cumulative on the entire dog, so we don't get to brain dump after each exam lol

Lol, as bad as all of anatomy in 5 weeks sounds, i'd love to be done that quickly! I just took my midterm (just forelimb for me here....dog, horse, cow). It felt like a final, and it felt like I should be done with anatomy. Then Monday rolls around....

Out of curiosity, how long were your scheduled anatomy lab/lectures each week? It seems hard to imagine doing veterinary anatomy in 5 weeks for the usual species. In undergrad, I did a shark, lamprey, mudpuppy, and cat in a semester, but it wasn't nearly as thorough as veterinary school. We have three scheduled hours twice weekly, then whatever time we have left after/before palpation on Fridays. We can come in nights/weekends, of course.

I'm just getting kind of irritated with our anatomy staff. We have a handful of course instructors, and it seems like they never talk to each other. I was told by one that fresh tissues were just given to us for learning and would not count for dissection points or show up on the practical. Bam, there they were on the practical. I'm not saying they're not important, but when you've essentially got 5 exams in one day, you kind of don't study what you don't have to. Plus, the particular question they asked made no sense. When I asked for clarification, I got no where.

I did get the instructors to actually talk and come to a conclusion about whether or not they'd count for dissection points, though. So there's that. They're all very nice, but it just gets so stressful when one person tells you x, and the other tells you y.

Last edited:
Our first anatomy exam is on Thursday and the lab exam is on Friday, though just on the dog forelimb and hindlimb (bones, muscles, nerves and vessels).

Our wildlife ward is also offering one week rotations during our lunch hour and I started that today. I'm not really interested in wildlife but figured I would try it out. We got to flight test a hawk today (I think it was a broad winged), so that was pretty cool :)

To any upperclassman, if you had to do first year over again, what would you do differently and what would you do the same? Mostly regarding studying/clubs/personal life, not so much financial.

Socialize more, participate in more wet labs/activities. My studying went from a little each night to cramming, which actually ended up with better grades. (Not that I advocate cramming, it just worked better for me.)

Survived my first physiology exam, although the idea of needing a 93% or above to get an A, with no curve, seems impossible after undergrad.

I got my scores back for everything but the anatomy practical. I passed, but I still feel like I did badly. Slightly below average, which bothers me since I have residency goals....guess I'm gonna have to work harder. I don't even want to know how bad my anatomy practical is...

I got my scores back for everything but the anatomy practical. I passed, but I still feel like I did badly. Slightly below average, which bothers me since I have residency goals....guess I'm gonna have to work harder. I don't even want to know how bad my anatomy practical is...

THIS. I am passing, but I'm not doing "well", so it almost feels like I'm failing.

THIS. I am passing, but I'm not doing "well", so it almost feels like I'm failing.
It's also probably residual from how we felt during undergrad. We're trained ourselves to except A's. As long as we pass (and pass the NAVLE), we're doctors. My thing is the residency issue. It feels weird to have reached your goal, but realize you still aren't 100% there yet, you still have another round(s) of competition yet. Every resident has told me that sometimes, it comes down to grades when applicants start looking the same.

It's also probably residual from how we felt during undergrad. We're trained ourselves to except A's. As long as we pass (and pass the NAVLE), we're doctors. My thing is the residency issue. It feels weird to have reached your goal, but realize you still aren't 100% there yet, you still have another round(s) of competition yet. Every resident has told me that sometimes, it comes down to grades when applicants start looking the same.

Yikes. A residency isn't something I'm super interested in but I'm keeping an open mind to future options. For me right now, its being competitive for scholarships. I guess the best thing we can do is try different study techniques until we figure out what works best for us. I may go to the learning center and see what they can help me with because I have never really been "good" at studying. The main issue for me is that I want to learn the material (in prep for the NAVLE and to be the best doctor I can be). I don't want to stick with the trend of memorizing something for a test and forgetting it after.

I feel like such an underachiever. Here you guys are worried you're not getting A's and I almost cried tears of joy because I got a B on the anatomy exam. :rofl:

I feel like such an underachiever. Here you guys are worried you're not getting A's and I almost cried tears of joy because I got a B on the anatomy exam. :rofl:
I'm still waiting to find out....:mad:

I feel ya on the residency thing. Going into vet school it didn't seem like a big deal, because I was on the high end of my class' incoming stats (my GPA & GRE scores were much higher than the class profile they posted). I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to try to stay at least in the upper half of my class academically. But then I look at the averages of my vet school exams and I'm just like...what happened. :confused:

I feel ya on the residency thing. Going into vet school it didn't seem like a big deal, because I was on the high end of my class' incoming stats (my GPA & GRE scores were much higher than the class profile they posted). I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to try to stay at least in the upper half of my class academically. But then I look at the averages of my vet school exams and I'm just like...what happened. :confused:
Don't worry, things balance out eventually and it takes some time to slip into your groove. I'm doing much better in vet school than I did in undergrad (not that I ever did poorly), but you should keep in mind that some people are more academic and some people are more clinical. Classes at my school have a tendency to flip when we reach our clinical years.

Don't worry, things balance out eventually and it takes some time to slip into your groove. I'm doing much better in vet school than I did in undergrad (not that I ever did poorly), but you should keep in mind that some people are more academic and some people are more clinical. Classes at my school have a tendency to flip when we reach our clinical years.
Maybe that will be when I start to do well again. I wish our material was taught with a clinical emphasis. When the professors do bring up something like "Oh, Sweeney is caused by damage to the suprascapular nerve seen here," I seem to remember and comprehend that information more. And then I can tie in why muscle wasting occurs (bridging anatomy and neuro). I also remember where the nerve is, too. As opposed to looking in a book to try and match the textbook picture of the radial nerve to the one on my dog that we accidentally cut anyways....:oops:

Reactions: 1 users
What I just *love* is that my professor never tags the most clinically important structures because they're "too easy" to be test questions. So we get tested on the teensy branches of vessels and nerves that will, in all honesty, probably never come up again in my veterinary career. Or if they do, it'll be in some rare instance where I have to look it up anyway because I'm not dealing with such an insignificant structure often enough to actually retain it.

What I just *love* is that my professor never tags the most clinically important structures because they're "too easy" to be test questions. So we get tested on the teensy branches of vessels and nerves that will, in all honesty, probably never come up again in my veterinary career. Or if they do, it'll be in some rare instance where I have to look it up anyway because I'm not dealing with such an insignificant structure often enough to actually retain it.
Hmm I am sensing that you may not actually love this :p. I am not convinced that test was actually due to the main instructor (with him being fairly sick and all) ... I would say wait for the test in 2 weeks and see how that one goes. Supposedly it gets easier then the first exam, but I have also heard that he will hammer in things that people got wrong, so make sure you are 100% good with what u got wrong on the first practical.

Did below average on my anatomy practical. Seeing as how the average was a 50%, that's not good. I also just got an email saying I'm eligible for free tutoring through the school now, so that's salt in the wound. I'm mortified. I know I'm being extremely hard on myself right now but I am so ashamed :( All that's going through my mind right now is that the vets who I look up to probably never were told they need to be tutored...

Did below average on my anatomy practical. Seeing as how the average was a 50%, that's not good. I also just got an email saying I'm eligible for free tutoring through the school now, so that's salt in the wound. I'm mortified. I know I'm being extremely hard on myself right now but I am so ashamed :( All that's going through my mind right now is that the vets who I look up to probably never were told they need to be tutored...
Don't ever feel ashamed about getting tutoring. Even some of the best vets I know had to have some extra help in school. Vet school is crazy hard, and honestly I think everyone needs a little help with at least one or two subjects at one point or another. It doesn't matter if you need tutoring, or professor help, or classmates' study guides. All that matters in the end is that you get the passing grade I know it's devastating to fail something (I know I was when I failed my first vet school exam..), but this does NOT make you a failure. I promise.

Keep your head up, you'll make it through :)

Reactions: 4 users
Don't ever feel ashamed about getting tutoring. Even some of the best vets I know had to have some extra help in school. Vet school is crazy hard, and honestly I think everyone needs a little help with at least one or two subjects at one point or another. It doesn't matter if you need tutoring, or professor help, or classmates' study guides. All that matters in the end is that you get the passing grade I know it's devastating to fail something (I know I was when I failed my first vet school exam..), but this does NOT make you a failure. I promise.

Keep your head up, you'll make it through :)
Thank you. So very much. I'm just hoping it helps. I don't know how much a tutor can help in anatomy when it's just pure memorization (or it seems like it is).

Right now I'm clinging to the hope that my overall grade was calculated wrong, I could get a 0.7% boost! Lol. I'm sure I'm making a mistake on my end, so I asked to meet with the course manager. Fingers crossed!

It will be okay, I promise! As Ashgirl said, everyone needs help with something during vet school whether they want to admit it or not. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a tutor, in fact, I would jump on the chance since its free now! Much better to ask for help now than to wait until the end of the semester. It may not seem like it will help but they could help with different tricks to memorizing things or quiz you to see where you need to work on things. They could also help you relate it to a disease process so you can remember it better. :) Oh, and all the best vets that I look up to have told me that they were "C" students ;)

Reactions: 2 users