Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We all know it's basically disposable furniture, though
there are a few people that I know that don't understand this very basic IKEA concept.

I find their lighting to be good and interesting. But that's really all I buy there....lamps.

Members don't see this ad.

I went two weeks ago to find a place. It can't be more than an hour from Lansing? We passed it on our way there from Detroit, which didn't even take an hour. I cannot wait since the closest IKEA to my house is currently 2.5 hours away.

And how on earth can you hate IKEA? If you don't like their furniture at least go for the Swedish meatballs!
Ikea is roughly an hour and 15 minutes from East Lansing :) Longer if the construction on the 96 gets worse...
Am I the only one that HATES Ikea? I would rather light myself on fire than go in that store. I've found a lot of very similar furniture at Home Depot for less.
I've never seen a piece of furniture in Ikea where I've been like, "OMG I love that!!!" Except the one pink sofa they had last time. However, they do devote their entire lower floor to miscellaneous odds and ends for your entire home. They're good for pots/pans, plates, cups/mugs, bathroom accessories, etc. Their prices are typically similar to Wal-mart. That's usually what I end up buying there, but I also have opted for furnished apartments through out undergrad.

there are a few people that I know that don't understand this very basic IKEA concept.

It's kind of hilarious when people complain that it doesn't come back together when they take it apart for a move.

Worked great for me, who needed to move across the country and furnish a bedroom three times in 3 years, and was not at a point in my life where I wanted quality furniture

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... IKEA... I'm definitely team-i-hate-the-layout. But honestly, I'm more team-i-hate-the-huge-groups-of-people-that-shop-all-at-once-in-one-spot-and-block-aisles-and-don't-use-common-politeness-and-generally-irritate-the-$&@!-out-of-everyone-else-there.

...maybe I just shouldn't go shopping.

Reactions: 1 user
So, in my housing search I found an apartment that looks really good. Relatively cheap, decent distance from campus etc. However, I found out that like 6 of the neighboring units are the last known address of registered sex offenders. Should I be worried?

So, in my housing search I found an apartment that looks really good. Relatively cheap, decent distance from campus etc. However, I found out that like 6 of the neighboring units are the last known address of registered sex offenders. Should I be worried?
Which part of Madison is it? I've heard there are some sketchy parts, but I'm not too sure where those parts are located to be honest. I signed a lease at an apartment that's about a 10 minute walk from the vet school but I also looked a lot at the western side of the city (near Midvale Blvd.)

Which part of Madison is it? I've heard there are some sketchy parts, but I'm not too sure where those parts are located to be honest. I signed a lease at an apartment that's about a 10 minute walk from the vet school but I also looked a lot at the western side of the city (near Midvale Blvd.)
It's on the west side - Temkin Ave. I though pretty much anything away from the beltline and w badger Rd was ok, but this kinda has me freaked out.

It's on the west side - Temkin Ave. I though pretty much anything away from the beltline and w badger Rd was ok, but this kinda has me freaked out.
I never ventured that far west in my housing search, so I'm not sure what that neighborhood is like. But I see what you mean - it's like they all decided to live in the same apartment complex for some reason. Weird.

I never ventured that far west in my housing search, so I'm not sure what that neighborhood is like. But I see what you mean - it's like they all decided to live in the same apartment complex for some reason. Weird.
Yeah, I think I'll find some place else to live..... Thanks :)

Hello,

Im NCSU 2019. I am working my last scheduled week at work. I need the money from work for groceries but I also need a break before school. (Why can't they pay me to sleep??).

I just moved into an amazing townhouse a mile from the school with an awesome roomie. Im pretty excited and nervous about this coming semester but im even more nervous about buying my computer. It i expensive to get a good one!!! I have decided on the surface pro 3 with 8gb ram....it is the same price as a mac.

I guess it will be worth the investment..

What computers are yall buying for school?

Hey everyone Congrats on being accepted!!! I'm so excited to go to vet school, and I can't wait to start in the fall!

Hello,

Im NCSU 2019. I am working my last scheduled week at work. I need the money from work for groceries but I also need a break before school. (Why can't they pay me to sleep??).

I just moved into an amazing townhouse a mile from the school with an awesome roomie. Im pretty excited and nervous about this coming semester but im even more nervous about buying my computer. It i expensive to get a good one!!! I have decided on the surface pro 3 with 8gb ram....it is the same price as a mac.

I guess it will be worth the investment..

What computers are yall buying for school?

I'm getting the 13in Macbook Air w/ 256gb SSD for a few reasons! I loved my macbook pro for undergrad, so I figured I'd get something smaller. I also have an iPad mini and an iPhone so its really easy to sync all of my stuff between the things so depending on what I need to use at the time I'll have all my notes accessible on all three. As well I'm really happy about the small size(I carry everything in my backpack, all the time so I need something light). Yes I do know they're not the best computers for their price range but its what works for me!

I have a couple friends who use similar if not the same type of computer you bought, and they love it! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone Congrats on being accepted!!! I'm so excited to go to vet school, and I can't wait to start in the fall!

I'm getting the 13in Macbook Air w/ 256gb SSD for a few reasons! I loved my macbook pro for undergrad, so I figured I'd get something smaller. I also have an iPad mini and an iPhone so its really easy to sync all of my stuff between the things so depending on what I need to use at the time I'll have all my notes accessible on all three. As well I'm really happy about the small size(I carry everything in my backpack, all the time so I need something light). Yes I do know they're not the best computers for their price range but its what works for me!

I have a couple friends who use similar if not the same type of computer you bought, and they love it! I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
I just bit the bullet and bought the Surface Pro 3. It was a little more than I expected to pay but I am happy with it. I hope that it lasts me as long as my old Lenovo.

I just bit the bullet and bought the Surface Pro 3. It was a little more than I expected to pay but I am happy with it. I hope that it lasts me as long as my old Lenovo.

I don't know about that. from my experience Lenovo's are like those old Nokia phones that can't be destroyed! My mom has had hers for over ten years!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking about buying the sp3 as a laptop replacement. The price kind of makes me cringe though.

Is there some kind of insurance I can get on it? Do any of you have insurance on your laptops or tablets?

Is there some kind of insurance I can get on it? Do any of you have insurance on your laptops or tablets?

Try this:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...tection-for-Surface-Pro-3/productID.274920000

I got the AppleCare for my macbook. If something happens to your laptop while you're already stressed out from school, the last thing you'll want is to have to have to buy a new one and worry about getting it set up. I don't know how it works for the SP3, but for a macbook, you literally just take it into the store, and if they can't fix it, you walk away with a new with all your stuff from the old one set up already (assuming it wasn't the hard drive that went bad).

I don't know about that. from my experience Lenovo's are like those old Nokia phones that can't be destroyed! My mom has had hers for over ten years!

My trusty old Lenovo has been working (albeit slowwly) since 2008. I hope my SP3 gives me 6-7 years or enough time to have the money to get a new computer. After vet school, I probably won't have much use for a tablet hybrid unless they become an integral part of the profession.

I'm thinking about buying the sp3 as a laptop replacement. The price kind of makes me cringe though.
I would say go for it. You can play with it for a week or so, and if you don't like it, take it back. You have 30 days normally. I would suggest doing that now before school kicks in.

I have already mapped out my quizzes and exams and they start QUICK! [First anatomy miniexam is on August 31st, classes start the12th...damn, damn, damn] Idk if you have done this but I don't think that yoiu will have time, mid semester, to go back to the Microsoft store and/or BestBuy to shop around for another computer.

Time's a'tickin, guys. My anxiety is THROUGH. THE. ROOF. How is everyone else doing? I should be excited, but I'm currently in the "what if I bomb everything?!" phase.

I fluctuate daily between excited and super anxious. I can't believe that in just a few short weeks, orientation begins!

Seriously--you can do it! We'll all be in it together, and I'm looking to start some semi-regular study groups early on. Planning for that eases the "what if I can't do it?" anxiety a little.

Time's a'tickin, guys. My anxiety is THROUGH. THE. ROOF. How is everyone else doing? I should be excited, but I'm currently in the "what if I bomb everything?!" phase.
Pretty sure my anxiety has contributed to this migraine/tension headache I've had for a week

Was really excited up until this week...and now it's all anxiety. I've moved 235897031 million times around the country since leaving for undergrad, without a second thought, but this was the first place I set up "home." And now I'm leaving. I'm excited, yes...but every time someone gives me a going away gift, or says "this is the last time we'll ever [blank]," I just want to cry. I guess this is how most people felt when they left for undergrad and I never dealt with that.

Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just have been having so much trouble sleeping with worried about finances, being 6 hours away from my boyfriend, etc. I know these 4 years will fly by, though.

Moving away from the bf is going to be tough. :( I've lived with mine for 3 years now so I'm getting anxious about the move... Luckily, he's not too tied down geographically so he *might* follow after me eventually. But... No guarantees.

Moving away from the bf is going to be tough. :( I've lived with mine for 3 years now so I'm getting anxious about the move... Luckily, he's not too tied down geographically so he *might* follow after me eventually. But... No guarantees.
Well my boyfriend has a great, well paying job now. I'd never ask/expect him to follow me for school. We've talked about moving around depending on if I get a zoo med residency (there is one at my IS, but it's offered every 3 years), but he will always want to stay in Michigan. I wanted to move in with him this summer, but I wouldn;t be able to bring my dog. Plus, I didn't want to move 3 times within 8 months haha. I'm thinking I'll be spending school breaks at his place from now on, though.

We have just survived ~7 months of long distance (1000 miles), where he came down twice and I went up once. Being 6 hours away with holiday breaks and summer seems like a breeze to me now, but he's anxious too.

I'm still mostly in denial that it's actually real. I don't think it will be real for me until orientation or maybe not until classes start. This is likely partially because I didn't have to move.

Same here. I'll be living in the same flat for at least the first year, so it hasn't properly sunk in yet just how much my life is going to change. I'm not even quitting my job once school starts, just switching to part-time. The only major change for me will be going to school everyday, so I don't think it'll feel real until that starts happening.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat with the boyfriend. We've been living together for 5 years, and he has a great career that I can't (and wouldn't ever) ask him to leave. He's willing to visit often and do whatever to make it work so I'm lucky in that sense...but man is it going to be a big change.

It's a bit of relief to see other people are in similar situations. I was within driving distance from my undergrad from my parents house so I didn't actually move out until I was 22 (and that was only an hour away). Now I'm living 13-14 hours away. Boyfriend and I have been together 6 years and he did not come with me either. We finally started living together the past year so it's been hard to go back to not living together. He may come to live with me at a later time though.

I'm excited to meet my future classmates and start this next chapter in my life. I'm hoping it will be a fresh start after my parents divorcing last summer but I'm also in the "what if I don't pass?! what if I don't make friends?! etc. etc." phase as well.

Oh, I definitely understand not asking to move. My bf is just at a point in his life where he's just finishing up his degree. He actually surprised me yesterday by saying he was thinking about it. But that's also because where we're living now is decently rural, so his job prospects are a little better where I'll be.

It's a bit of relief to see other people are in similar situations. I was within driving distance from my undergrad from my parents house so I didn't actually move out until I was 22 (and that was only an hour away). Now I'm living 13-14 hours away. Boyfriend and I have been together 6 years and he did not come with me either. We finally started living together the past year so it's been hard to go back to not living together. He may come to live with me at a later time though.

I'm excited to meet my future classmates and start this next chapter in my life. I'm hoping it will be a fresh start after my parents divorcing last summer but I'm also in the "what if I don't pass?! what if I don't make friends?! etc. etc." phase as well.
Bahaha I haven't even thought about making friends yet...I forgot I wouldn't be surrounded by my undergrad zoology buddies :(

I'm super excited, but the other day I was at work and one of the vets euthanized a kitty, and this wave of panic hit my like. Holy **** one day I'm going to have to do that.

It all just kind of hit me, though none of it feels quite real yet.

The past two weeks I felt sick because I was anxious about moving. Now I'm a week out from moving and I'm totally excited. But I love change and need a little space away from my crazy family! It's sucked because all my closest friends either have "real jobs" or have moved away for their vet/grad programs so I'm running out of people to "say bye" to.

I'm in final year and still can't figure out if this is real or not. I think it is. Maybe it isn't. I am sure I will get yanked out of the clinic any day..... :bag: :ninja:

Reactions: 3 users
@pinkpuppy9 and @thecatastrophist I am in the exact same boat as you both right now. The past week, I've been fluctuating between "super excited to start vet school" and "holy crap school starts in 3 weeks and I have to move in 2 weeks!" I moved in with my boyfriend of 3 years about 8 months ago, and I'm really sad to be moving out... He has a great job where we're at now, so he won't be moving with me and will be about 7 hours away during the school year. Before we moved in together, we were long distance for 2 years, but now I've grown so accustomed to seeing him every day, it's going to be a huge adjustment. I'm also currently experiencing anxiety about half a dozen other things including whether or not I'll get along with my roommates, make friends easily, be able to handle the workload without cracking under the pressure, and even whether or not my dog will adjust well to all the changes. I know it's stupid to worry about those kinds of things, and I'm sure it will all work out fine, but I still can't help it. I think it's safe to say these next few weeks are going to be an emotional rollercoaster! The one thing that's making me feel better is knowing that most, if not all of our classmates will be going through similar situations.

On other note, I'm having trouble deciding what kind of computer to buy. I know that I want to get a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet combo, but every time I start researching and reading bad reviews about them, I get overwhelmed. My current contenders are the Surface Pro 3, the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3, the Dell Inspirion 13, and the HP Spectre x360. Anyone have personal experience with any of these and can attest to their functionality and reliability?

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering which class everyone is most excited to take for first year?

I'm super stoked for all of them, but I'm most excited for Veterinary histology and general pathology, and Veterinary physiology and biochemistry!

I'm still voting towards the 2-in-1 Dell inspiron 13 =P

@pinkpuppy9 and @thecatastrophist I am in the exact same boat as you both right now. The past week, I've been fluctuating between "super excited to start vet school" and "holy crap school starts in 3 weeks and I have to move in 2 weeks!" I moved in with my boyfriend of 3 years about 8 months ago, and I'm really sad to be moving out... He has a great job where we're at now, so he won't be moving with me and will be about 7 hours away during the school year. Before we moved in together, we were long distance for 2 years, but now I've grown so accustomed to seeing him every day, it's going to be a huge adjustment. I'm also currently experiencing anxiety about half a dozen other things including whether or not I'll get along with my roommates, make friends easily, be able to handle the workload without cracking under the pressure, and even whether or not my dog will adjust well to all the changes. I know it's stupid to worry about those kinds of things, and I'm sure it will all work out fine, but I still can't help it. I think it's safe to say these next few weeks are going to be an emotional rollercoaster! The one thing that's making me feel better is knowing that most, if not all of our classmates will be going through similar situations.

On other note, I'm having trouble deciding what kind of computer to buy. I know that I want to get a 2-in-1 laptop/tablet combo, but every time I start researching and reading bad reviews about them, I get overwhelmed. My current contenders are the Surface Pro 3, the Lenovo Yoga Pro 3, the Dell Inspirion 13, and the HP Spectre x360. Anyone have personal experience with any of these and can attest to their functionality and reliability?

I just got the HP Spectre x360 and I got the Dell active stylus 750-AAGN and I LOVE it! The stylus is $30, compatible and works a lot better than the stylus they had in the Microsoft store. It compares to the Surface Pro without having the detachable keyboard.. I haven't had it very long, but from what I can tell so far it fits everything I wanted in a hybrid computer

It's midnight. Have to work tomorrow morning at 6am. Sitting in my empty apartment trying to patch my air mattress so I can sleep tonight, on something other than the floor. Sigh.

I sent in my request for a 1 year deferral for medical reasons today. Good luck, c/o 2019. You're all gonna do great :)
Sorry :( I hope whatever is ailing you is resolved soon!

I just got the HP Spectre x360 and I got the Dell active stylus 750-AAGN and I LOVE it! The stylus is $30, compatible and works a lot better than the stylus they had in the Microsoft store. It compares to the Surface Pro without having the detachable keyboard.. I haven't had it very long, but from what I can tell so far it fits everything I wanted in a hybrid computer

I ended up going with the HP Spectre x360, as well! I went to Best Buy last night to play with them all in person, and I really loved the feel of the Spectre. It had the nicest keyboard in my opinion, which was a big factor for me since I'll be doing so much note-typing. It also had the smoothest transition between modes and was lighter weight than all except the Surface Pro. And it looks super sleek with its aluminum body! Plus it had everything else I was looking for, including 8GB of ram, an i7 processor, a 256 GB SSD, high screen resolution (1440p), and an extended battery life! The Dell Inspirion was in second place for me, but it didn't have the solid state drive that I really wanted. The lower price point on the Dell definitely would've been a plus, but since I chose to go to my in-state school and save $80000 over any of the out-of-state schools I got accepted to, I decided to let myself splurge on my computer. Couldn't be happier with my choice!

I'm still looking for a good stylus, so I'll definitely have to check out the Dell one you mentioned!

I sent in my request for a 1 year deferral for medical reasons today. Good luck, c/o 2019. You're all gonna do great :)

You did this just for 2020 didn't you??
Kidding. Hope everything goes smoothly! <3

I ended up going with the HP Spectre x360, as well! I went to Best Buy last night to play with them all in person, and I really loved the feel of the Spectre. It had the nicest keyboard in my opinion, which was a big factor for me since I'll be doing so much note-typing. It also had the smoothest transition between modes and was lighter weight than all except the Surface Pro. And it looks super sleek with its aluminum body! Plus it had everything else I was looking for, including 8GB of ram, an i7 processor, a 256 GB SSD, high screen resolution (1440p), and an extended battery life! The Dell Inspirion was in second place for me, but it didn't have the solid state drive that I really wanted. The lower price point on the Dell definitely would've been a plus, but since I chose to go to my in-state school and save $80000 over any of the out-of-state schools I got accepted to, I decided to let myself splurge on my computer. Couldn't be happier with my choice!

I'm still looking for a good stylus, so I'll definitely have to check out the Dell one you mentioned!

Yes definitely check out the stylus! It writes really smooth and it lets you rest your palm, which sounds silly but I really appreciate. In store I was specifically told that the hp spectre wouldn't do that, so I'm glad it was actually the stylus that mattered because I'm planning on writing a lot of my notes.

Good luck to you. I am going through a cancer scare and hoping I don't have to defer. My surgery is scheduled for the first day of classes. Great luck, huh?

Good luck to you. I am going through a cancer scare and hoping I don't have to defer. My surgery is scheduled for the first day of classes. Great luck, huh?
Oof, that is really rough. Good luck, hope your surgery goes well and everything turns out ok.

Sending power thoughts your way! :luck::luck:
superman.gif

@ ADM1220 and Wildzoo

I'm sorry to hear the news and am sending you my best wishes