Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Making the move to East Lansing tomorrow bright and early, after we packed up a U-Haul on the hottest day of the year so far. Not looking forward to driving half way across the country, but ecstatic about getting closer to starting vet school!

Members don't see this ad.

I still very clearly remember getting my very first test grade back and realizing "oh yeah, I can actually do this." You'll all be in that boat before you know it, and it's a great feeling.

Reactions: 2 users
GUYS! I'm having a dilemma. Since I was accepted, I have planned on getting a surface pro for school and I was waiting to get the sp4 whenever it comes out. I assumed that would occur before most schools started in August but it doesn't appear to be the case. Now, I'll be on the quarter system so I won't start until late September so I can wait a little longer to see if Microsoft releases it. However, I'm tempted to go ahead and buy the sp3 so I can have it customized and be familiar with it well before school starting - but - when the new surface comes out, the sp3 will become much cheaper and it's hard to justify spending more on something that will be a lot cheaper in a few months. Anybody in the same boat? Are you waiting to buy the new surface?

Members don't see this ad :)
GUYS! I'm having a dilemma. Since I was accepted, I have planned on getting a surface pro for school and I was waiting to get the sp4 whenever it comes out. I assumed that would occur before most schools started in August but it doesn't appear to be the case. Now, I'll be on the quarter system so I won't start until late September so I can wait a little longer to see if Microsoft releases it. However, I'm tempted to go ahead and buy the sp3 so I can have it customized and be familiar with it well before school starting - but - when the new surface comes out, the sp3 will become much cheaper and it's hard to justify spending more on something that will be a lot cheaper in a few months. Anybody in the same boat? Are you waiting to buy the new surface?
I was originally going to wait for the sp4 also, but all release dates are just rumor for now. If I recall correctly, Microsoft hasn't officially said anything about a possible sp4. I decided to go ahead and get the sp3, but Imwas waiting for back to school sales. Seems the sp3 isn't going on sale anytime soon, so I'll be ordering my sp3 within the next few days.

I was originally going to wait for the sp4 also, but all release dates are just rumor for now. If I recall correctly, Microsoft hasn't officially said anything about a possible sp4. I decided to go ahead and get the sp3, but Imwas waiting for back to school sales. Seems the sp3 isn't going on sale anytime soon, so I'll be ordering my sp3 within the next few days.
I'll probably end up doing the same. I did notice, though, that most models of the sp3 are $100-150 off on the microsoft store and amazon, plus it looks like you can get a further 10% student discount through microsoft. Which specs are you going for? I'm leaning towards the 256gb, i7 core, 8gb of ram.

I'll probably end up doing the same. I did notice, though, that most models of the sp3 are $100-150 off on the microsoft store and amazon, plus it looks like you can get a further 10% student discount through microsoft. Which specs are you going for? I'm leaning towards the 256gb, i7 core, 8gb of ram.

I just went to Best Buy today to look at these, and the salesman told me that if you keep your receipt and the price drops, you can bring it in and they will refund you the difference from what you paid and what the new price is. I'm not sure how long that guarantee is for, but it's something to look into. They are also offering 150 off for students there.

I am also looking at the i7, 256 GB. I looked on Amazon a couple of hours ago and the price was 1230 (or something close to that figure) which is a nice discount from the 1399 that everyone else is selling for.

Thank goodness I moved here a few months early! I did all my apartment shopping from Miami (rookie mistake) and paid the price for it. The apartment that I ended up choosing was very affordable and looked great in the pictures the manager sent me. When I moved in, I quickly noticed that it was nowhere near as nice as the pictures and the place was a dump. It's a pretty old building, so I wasn't expecting it to be amazing or anything, but I also did not expect what I got. Broken/unfitted windows that allow all sorts of bugs to come in, the hardwood floor being cracked in several places where said bugs can crawl in/out of, holes on the side of the sink that allowed mice to come into the apartment, and a bathroom that looks like it belongs in a truck stop. Worst part is that the entire building is crawling with bed bugs and management does not care one bit.

Thankfully, by them not informing me about the bed bug issue, it allowed me to nullify the lease and I was able to snatch up the last available apartment in a much nicer place on the other side of MSU. It's a bit pricier, but I've quickly learned that the places with cheaper rent are not worth the hassle. I can't imagine how crazy I would have gone if I had to handle all this on top of starting school if I had moved a week before like I originally wanted to. Good thing I hadn't bought any furniture besides a bed, otherwise I would have lost a lot more money. I move in during orientation/first day of classes, so that should be fun. -.-

Reactions: 1 users
I just went to Best Buy today to look at these, and the salesman told me that if you keep your receipt and the price drops, you can bring it in and they will refund you the difference from what you paid and what the new price is. I'm not sure how long that guarantee is for, but it's something to look into. They are also offering 150 off for students there.

I am also looking at the i7, 256 GB. I looked on Amazon a couple of hours ago and the price was 1230 (or something close to that figure) which is a nice discount from the 1399 that everyone else is selling for.
Cool, thanks for posting this! The nearest Best Buy is about 45 minutes away from me. I did get to play with a sp3 at Costco but it was in demo mode and I couldn't even open any programs so it wasn't very useful :(

Thank goodness I moved here a few months early! I did all my apartment shopping from Miami (rookie mistake) and paid the price for it. The apartment that I ended up choosing was very affordable and looked great in the pictures the manager sent me. When I moved in, I quickly noticed that it was nowhere near as nice as the pictures and the place was a dump. It's a pretty old building, so I wasn't expecting it to be amazing or anything, but I also did not expect what I got. Broken/unfitted windows that allow all sorts of bugs to come in, the hardwood floor being cracked in several places where said bugs can crawl in/out of, holes on the side of the sink that allowed mice to come into the apartment, and a bathroom that looks like it belongs in a truck stop. Worst part is that the entire building is crawling with bed bugs and management does not care one bit.

Thankfully, by them not informing me about the bed bug issue, it allowed me to nullify the lease and I was able to snatch up the last available apartment in a much nicer place on the other side of MSU. It's a bit pricier, but I've quickly learned that the places with cheaper rent are not worth the hassle. I can't imagine how crazy I would have gone if I had to handle all this on top of starting school if I had moved a week before like I originally wanted to. Good thing I hadn't bought any furniture besides a bed, otherwise I would have lost a lot more money. I move in during orientation/first day of classes, so that should be fun. -.-
Where did you end up? I'm glad you were able to peace out of the last place...in my experience, East Lansing was horrible for students. Pretty much everyone got scammed by the management when it came to maintenance and general quality of living.

On another note, I managed to pinch a nerve somehow this morning. 5 days before I move away from all of my doctors. Le sigh

Where did you end up? I'm glad you were able to peace out of the last place...in my experience, East Lansing was horrible for students. Pretty much everyone got scammed by the management when it came to maintenance and general quality of living.

On another note, I managed to pinch a nerve somehow this morning. 5 days before I move away from all of my doctors. Le sigh

Gonna end up living in Nemoke Trails in Haslett. Only a 15 minute commute and far enough from MSU so I won't have to put up with the undergrads. Also, ouch.

Reactions: 1 user
in my experience, East Lansing was horrible for students. Pretty much everyone got scammed by the management when it came to maintenance and general quality of living.

I've lived in EL for 6 years now and have never had this experience. Most people are happy with the major leasing company here (DTN)- they're pretty compliant.

@Felixor90- I've heard good things about that place. Good choice! Let me know if you have any questions before starting.

I've lived in EL for 6 years now and have never had this experience. Most people are happy with the major leasing company here (DTN)- they're pretty compliant.

@Felixor90- I've heard good things about that place. Good choice! Let me know if you have any questions before starting.
I never did DTN because I personally didn't like the conditions of, well, any of their buildings that were within the average student's budget. I ended up at Abbott and Chandler. Decent building quality, but terrible management. The individual leasing is what really drove me there, though

First week down at vet school...albeit only a half week (Wed-Friday). Make sure you know when it is OK to not be social lol, especially us first years.

Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
First week down at vet school...albeit only a half week (Wed-Friday). Make sure you know when it is OK to not be social lol, especially us first years.

Good luck everyone.
Holy crap you started already?! Also, what do you mean about when not to be social?

my face right now: :eek:

I'm sure everyone is feeling/has felt this way, so I'm trying not to worry. But the fact that the entire school's scheduling has been screwed up due to lecture rooms being out of commission combined with general jitters and being scared by the material is a lot to deal with.

Plus trying to manage two sick cats and get them treatment as necessary when our faculty is telling us that even though our schedules say one thing, we can't possibly expect that to hold true isn't helping. ahhhh

I just committed and ordered my surface pro 3. It should be here Tuesday! It was crazy expensive. I got the one with the most space possible (512g) because I'm unorganized by nature and having to keep up with externals and/or sd cards for extra hard drive space sounded stressful to me. So yeah, there goes all that money! I have a month left before school starts. I don't even know how to feel.

I just committed and ordered my surface pro 3. It should be here Tuesday! It was crazy expensive. I got the one with the most space possible (512g) because I'm unorganized by nature and having to keep up with externals and/or sd cards for extra hard drive space sounded stressful to me. So yeah, there goes all that money! I have a month left before school starts. I don't even know how to feel.
You don't start for another month? Where are you going?

I got the Spectre and it was so expensive, too. My school recommends the external hard drive not necessarily for space, but to backup weekly in the event that your computer crashes. I've heard computers only crash during finals week, too.

I got the Spectre and it was so expensive, too. My school recommends the external hard drive not necessarily for space, but to backup weekly in the event that your computer crashes. I've heard computers only crash during finals week, too.

This is the truth. Computers only crash when there is a big test on the line. Seriously- get in a habit of backing up your computers, you won't regret it.

I just bought my SP3 two days ago!! We start Monday and I already love it so much. I got a glass screen protector and a keyboard (both on amazon for way cheaper). I almost died when I checked out though. It's probably the most expensive thing I own (besides my car :p).

This is the truth. Computers only crash when there is a big test on the line. Seriously- get in a habit of backing up your computers, you won't regret it.
I'm going to have my boyfriend teach me how to do it. I have a hard drive, but what I've been doing it just copy/pasting files. I know there's a better way to do it, I just haven't figured it out :p

When does everyone start classes? Many of my friends from undergrad starting vet school this year have already gotten their white coats and have started classes at their new schools while I'm over here waiting until Thursday to even get my white coat. I'm excited and anxious and hoping that those who have started already are doing okay :)

You don't start for another month? Where are you going?
Oregon State. Quarter system.

I do use an external for backing up but I really should start doing it more regularly, i.e., weekly at the least. I also want to figure out how in the world backing things up to the cloud works. *clueless nearly-30-year old*

When does everyone start classes? Many of my friends from undergrad starting vet school this year have already gotten their white coats and have started classes at their new schools while I'm over here waiting until Thursday to even get my white coat. I'm excited and anxious and hoping that those who have started already are doing okay :)

I start Monday!!!! :eek::eek::eek::bookworm::bookworm::bookworm:
Also, do you just mean lab coats or like a white coat ceremony? My school doesn't do white coat ceremony until your third year when you start clinicals. Interesting to hear it's different other places.

Also, do you just mean lab coats or like a white coat ceremony? My school doesn't do white coat ceremony until your third year when you start clinicals. Interesting to hear it's different other places.
We do a blue coating for first years. I had never heard of that until now

UTK does their white coat ceremony first year as well, during orientation week. I kinda think doing it right before starting clinics makes more sense, but :shrug:

I know what you mean! Most of my friends from other schools already started while I'm here having daily panic attacks from them telling me how overwhelming it is when you start.

MSU actually does both! We get a "welcome to the vet community" white coat ceremony next week and a "yay you're almost a vet" white coat ceremony before clinicals with a much nicer white coat. Double the fun! :D

UTK does their white coat ceremony first year as well, during orientation week. I kinda think doing it right before starting clinics makes more sense, but :shrug:
the idea is that they were welcoming you to the profession. There is a separate ceremony between 3rd to 4th year. I hope they still do it. It was the Scrubbin' In ceremony.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I thought it was only a third year thing (from my original n=1 of my sister), but then a bunch friends started posting about their white coat ceremonies. Interesting to see how that differs from vet school to vet school

Apparently it's even frowned upon here for anyone but upperclassmen and doctors to wear white coats (ie. a first year buying one for a cover in anatomy lab). I like my blue coat though, it's kinda cool!

I'me actually pretty sure I have a friend in med school who had a blue coat ceremony his first year, though I've heard from others that some achool's just have white coats that are shorter.

I heard Illinois does have a white coat ceremony prior to clinics starting. I think I'll like my blue coat. I don't wanna get mistaken for a doctor or fourth year.

Apparently it's even frowned upon here for anyone but upperclassmen and doctors to wear white coats (ie. a first year buying one for a cover in anatomy lab). I like my blue coat though, it's kinda cool!
That's kinda silly. White coats are used in science labs all over the world. I understand not using one in the teaching hospital, but in the lab? :eyebrow: I'd be disappointed if I couldn't use my trusty (and disgustingly stained) lab coat that I used throughout undergrad. It's like my academic version of lucky underwear.

That's kinda silly. White coats are used in science labs all over the world. I understand not using one in the teaching hospital, but in the lab? :eyebrow: I'd be disappointed if I couldn't use my trusty (and disgustingly stained) lab coat that I used throughout undergrad. It's like my academic version of lucky underwear.
Haha! I think it's because we are purposely given blue coats to prevent confusion since we DO start rotations this semester and have rotations second year as well. Official clinical rotations start third year, when we get our white coats. I think they just want us to 'earn' them before we just start wearing them around. I don't think they want us wearing blue coats in the lab though so they don't get gross. I bought a cheapo white coat cuz I thought we had to wear one and an upperclassman said faculty "prefer we don't wear coats that are white." So there goes $13 haha.

I'm actually fine with wearing no coat in lab...that's why I'll be changing into my bleach stained scrubs first

Haha! I think it's because we are purposely given blue coats to prevent confusion since we DO start rotations this semester and have rotations second year as well. Official clinical rotations start third year, when we get our white coats. I think they just want us to 'earn' them before we just start wearing them around. I don't think they want us wearing blue coats in the lab though so they don't get gross. I bought a cheapo white coat cuz I thought we had to wear one and an upperclassman said faculty "prefer we don't wear coats that are white." So there goes $13 haha.

I'm actually fine with wearing no coat in lab...that's why I'll be changing into my bleach stained scrubs first

Just get one of these. Problem solved. ;)

VO-302515-2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Please tell me, do those come in polka dot colors? I'd rock that during anatomy.
I'm sure they do, but I'll question your sense of fashion if you don't get the zebra print one. Just saying...

I'm sure they do, but I'll question your sense of fashion if you don't get the zebra print one. Just saying...
I know what you're saying but....it just doesn't do anything for my coloring.

Oh wow, that's really interesting! We're actually not allowed to wear colored lab coats for first year labs; it's specifically dictated that we wear white. Funny how much things differ from school to school!

Holy crap you started already?! Also, what do you mean about when not to be social?

Yes! We started on the 12th. Today marks week 2! Hahaha and we have an Anatomy test on Monday, August 31st.

What I mean about being social is going to every social event. You will have ample opportunities to hang with these people, make sure your studying is going well/productive before you take too much off time.

Just a friendly reminder as you are getting into the swing of things:

Sleep is important, your brain can't function and can't learn without sleep. I mean don't sleep 12 hours a day, but make sure you are getting enough sleep at night, it really does help. Also, there is ZERO reason to be up prior to 5AM for studying and even 5AM is pushing it. Maintain a good sleep schedule so your brain can do the learning well.

That is all. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Just a friendly reminder as you are getting into the swing of things:

Sleep is important, your brain can't function and can't learn without sleep. I mean don't sleep 12 hours a day, but make sure you are getting enough sleep at night, it really does help. Also, there is ZERO reason to be up prior to 5AM for studying and even 5AM is pushing it. Maintain a good sleep schedule so your brain can do the learning well.

That is all. :)
Right now I'm coping with the same sleep-induced guilt I had in undergrad. I feel like I am light years behind everyone else. It doesn't help that I was looking at an old first quiz and honestly had no idea what nerves need to be blocked to numb the equine forelimb. And our first quiz is next Friday.

:scared:

Right now I'm coping with the same sleep-induced guilt I had in undergrad. I feel like I am light years behind everyone else. It doesn't help that I was looking at an old first quiz and honestly had no idea what nerves need to be blocked to numb the equine forelimb. And our first quiz is next Friday.

:scared:

I don't know what nerves need to be blocked in the equine forelimb. Though that is kind of vague, because what you block depends upon what you are isolating and trying to determine as lameness... and I digress...

Don't feel guilty for letting your brain rest. I often got to the point where I was "studying" but not learning, I can usually tell this because I am passively reading but having to re-read or go over what I have read numerous times. At that point, you aren't doing yourself any favors by continuing. And everyone feels like they are behind. Everyone. Just hang in there and don't feel guilty for resting and getting sleep as that is what you need.

Reactions: 3 users
Finished week 1 and I feel like I will almost certainly fail anatomy. Then I will fail everything else too, because I've been trying so hard to not fail anatomy.
:confused: I'm actually worrying about histo, too. When I feel bad (which is now), I always tell myself I will know at least one thing on the exam. So there's that.

Finished week 1 and I feel like I will almost certainly fail anatomy. Then I will fail everything else too, because I've been trying so hard to not fail anatomy.
I feel exactly the same way!!!! Looking at all these arteries, veins and nerves is like trying to read ancient hieroglyphs or something! LOL!

In only the slightest of creepy ways, I think I've figured out who you are in our class. Hi there! :hello:

Dude. Okay. So. What worked for me last night (inches from crying when I realized ignoring dev bio's existence would not magick it away) was going to back to old c/o how you doin' threads (especially Class of 2015), reading the first few pages in which they all have our same fears and desperation and crippling impostor syndrome, and realizing that pretty much all of those people are veterinarians today. And that'll be you in 4 years. We're gonna be okay.

I think.

Also our lab group just finished the forearm today. Oy vey.

Reactions: 3 users
Dudes, I say this every year but the only people who ever make a big deal about anatomy are first years. Keep that in mind. It's like how the times table are oh so important to third graders, and how organic chemistry is oh so important to pre-vets/meds. You will never hear a vet student talk about how glad they are that they aced organic chem. Third/fourth years and clinicians mostly remember like 20% of musculoskeletal anatomy. It just doesn't matter. Just pass, and you shall be fine. If you are on the path of becoming a surgeon or anatomic pathologist, you shall learn it again when you have more of a foundation to help you make it stick. Do your best and if you do well, great. But there is no reason to kill yourself over it, or sacrifice learning in other classes over it. Like insertions and origins my ass. Sure, there are particular ones that are clinically important, but really, the insertion and origin of m. Gamelli... No one cares. The sooner you get over it, the sooner you will be happier. General info are much more important like which nerves innervate what groups of muscles, where their autonomous zones are, etc. Like that tells you what you'd expect in a dog that has a brachial plexus avulsion, and how to test for it.

Reactions: 4 users
In only the slightest of creepy ways, I think I've figured out who you are in our class. Hi there! :hello:

Dude. Okay. So. What worked for me last night (inches from crying when I realized ignoring dev bio's existence would not magick it away) was going to back to old c/o how you doin' threads (especially Class of 2015), reading the first few pages in which they all have our same fears and desperation and crippling impostor syndrome, and realizing that pretty much all of those people are veterinarians today. And that'll be you in 4 years. We're gonna be okay.

I think.

Also our lab group just finished the forearm today. Oy vey.
Oh! I think I'm fairly distinct in many ways, so you should say hi in class. Are we FB friends yet?

It does help knowing other people feel this way too, but when my lab group is rattling off the names of every muscle, the origin/insertion/function and I'm still sitting there like "umm what muscle is that again?" I feel helpless. I think I actually need to go into the lab alone and spend some time going over everything. I keep reading and rereading the book, which helps, but I still feel miles behind.

Standing in the kitchen singing along to "hooked on a feeling" with my son right now is super helpful though!