Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd given up on the day earlier this afternoon, but Duke surprised me about an hour ago with my first II!

Feeling extremely grateful right now, and happy someone works late out in Durham. :)

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
That is so awesome!! Congrats GTLO!!!!!!! They are going to love you at Duke!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
THE LUCK I'VE BEEN HAVING TODAY. TOP & BUFFER ON TWO THREADS! WHEE
This is better than IIs ha

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
YESSSS! Congratulations! :D It must have been a nasty wait, but it was bound to happen! Be sure to take the evening off and celebrate. Seriously – given Duke's beastly secondary you more than deserve it.

Now you just have to wait until Baylor rolls out their next wave of IIs! It's going to be an excellent week for you!

So so happy for you!!! Duke is such a great school. I'm sure this is just the beginning of an incredibly successful cycle for you.

That is so awesome!! Congrats GTLO!!!!!!! They are going to love you at Duke!
Thanks guys! :) Here's to hoping the rest of the week brings more good news!

Reactions: 3 users
So much for crickets lol. Congrats on two interviews in less than 24 hrs!! While you are at interview at Duke, do you mind putting in a good word for me and @sunflower18 ?;)
Funnily enough one of these guys scared the crap out of me in my living room a couple nights ago. :eek:

And thanks! I'm sure I'll be able to work it into conversation, "so I have these two friends, one is Superman and the other is a puppy, you should totally interview them..."

Reactions: 4 users
Man .. I hate waking up every morning, seeing the little email notification on my android - only to open up my gmail app and see useless emails.

Reactions: 10 users
Man .. I hate waking up every morning, seeing the little email notification on my android - only to open up my gmail app and see useless emails.

I've recently really trimmed down the number of useless emails I get, so each time I get one I think it could be important (i.e. an II), which makes it even more disappointing when it isn't. I should probably ... relax more.

I've recently really trimmed down the number of useless emails I get, so each time I get one I think it could be important (i.e. an II), which makes it even more disappointing when it isn't. I should probably ... relax more.

I made a new gmail before the app season started and only use it for med school stuff, so every time I get a new email its always important :p (unless it's just AMCAS notifying me of my LOR status...:thumbdown:)

Today has been boring on my end. Bummer. Anyone have exciting news to share?

Reactions: 1 users

Same here. Did some light reading on the PPACA for upcoming interviews, but that's about it. Wore my interview shoes out clubbing this past weekend and succeeded in not getting any blisters/foot pain (and I am a horrendous dancer, so that was an incredible feat).

I have a feeling that Mondays will be the big days of activity this year. -___- And now we wait. I'm kind of surprised things have been coming along so slowly at a majority of schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I received my first two IIs which was really exciting. And found a suit that I think looks good! Otherwise, still have to finish some secondaries and start seriously prepping for interviews.

Reactions: 5 users
I received my first two IIs which was really exciting. And found a suit that I think looks good! Otherwise, still have to finish some secondaries and start seriously prepping for interviews.
Congratulations!!!!!!:)

Congratulations!!!! That's fantastic!!!! Getting two IIs in one day is amazing :) Are you excited about both of the schools? And suit shopping is always challenging, so I'm glad you made it through that process too! I need to follow your lead and start doing more heavy-duty interview prep....

Same here. Did some light reading on the PPACA for upcoming interviews, but that's about it. Wore my interview shoes out clubbing this past weekend and succeeded in not getting any blisters/foot pain (and I am a horrendous dancer, so that was an incredible feat).

I have a feeling that Mondays will be the big days of activity this year. -___- And now we wait. I'm kind of surprised things have been coming along so slowly at a majority of schools.

That's awesome!! I need to break my heels in more.. I never wear heels so it will certainly be challenging. I have flats for the walking portion, but I'm quite short, so I can't just wear flats the whole day. Bummer. What kind of shoes do you have that are so comfortable?

Yeah, last Monday was my big day (I think.... haha) and this past Monday was pretty exciting for people too. I'm still hopeful for some end of the week excitement! I don't want to give up!

That's wonderful! Congratulations on such an exciting week! Hopefully these are just a small fraction of many, many more IIs to come. :D

That's awesome!! I need to break my heels in more.. I never wear heels so it will certainly be challenging. I have flats for the walking portion, but I'm quite short, so I can't just wear flats the whole day. Bummer. What kind of shoes do you have that are so comfortable?

Yeah, last Monday was my big day (I think.... haha) and this past Monday was pretty exciting for people too. I'm still hopeful for some end of the week excitement! I don't want to give up!

I have both heels and flats; I wore these heels (this but in black suede) out and they were super comfy... I got them as a gift years ago and only started wearing them now. I find pumps really uncomfortable, but don't seem to have a problem with wedges. I've been breaking in the flats at work, and they're also pretty nice (rescued these from sale rack for $60). My posture sucks, so the slight heel really helps me from slouching.

Congratulations!!!! That's fantastic!!!! Getting two IIs in one day is amazing :) Are you excited about both of the schools? And suit shopping is always challenging, so I'm glad you made it through that process too! I need to follow your lead and start doing more heavy-duty interview prep....

I'm definitely excited about them (they're my state schools)! I was a bit bummed that my top choices seem to have passed me over, but it's still early in the game and maybe I just need to send updates later on. I may have talked about global health too much in my essays, so I'm rather worried about all the schools to whom I sent essays with that theme... hopefully haven't ruined my chances with a couple sentences in a secondary. Still, a great day overall!!

I found a suit just as I was about to give up and go home! For now it's just a skirt and jacket, but I'm seriously considering getting some pants, too. Breaking in my heels is a good idea...

Good luck with the rest of the week!! Hope it brings you guys more II and exciting news! :D

I'm definitely excited about them (they're my state schools)! I was a bit bummed that my top choices seem to have passed me over, but it's still early in the game and maybe I just need to send updates later on. I may have talked about global health too much in my essays, so I'm rather worried about all the schools to whom I sent essays with that theme... hopefully haven't ruined my chances with a couple sentences in a secondary. Still, a great day overall!!

I found a suit just as I was about to give up and go home! For now it's just a skirt and jacket, but I'm seriously considering getting some pants, too. Breaking in my heels is a good idea...

Good luck with the rest of the week!! Hope it brings you guys more II and exciting news! :D

Aww, don't give up hope on your top choices!! There is still plenty of time, for sure. If the schools you're applying to have a global health focus, I can't see that hurting you. And if they don't value it much, did you really want to go there anyway? Don't worry! It'll all work out -- you'll end up at the school that's right for you.

Yeah, getting pants might not be the worst idea. But then should they be hemmed for heel height or flat height? Too complicate.

That's wonderful! Congratulations on such an exciting week! Hopefully these are just a small fraction of many, many more IIs to come. :D

I have both heels and flats; I wore these heels (this but in black suede) out and they were super comfy... I got them as a gift years ago and only started wearing them now. I find pumps really uncomfortable, but don't seem to have a problem with wedges. I've been breaking in the flats at work, and they're also pretty nice (rescued these from sale rack for $60). My posture sucks, so the slight heel really helps me from slouching.

Both of those look really comfortable! How have you guys determined what is too high for heels? I found a pair with a wide heel, so definitely not stilettos or anything, but they're at least 3 inches tall.

Aww, don't give up hope on your top choices!! There is still plenty of time, for sure. If the schools you're applying to have a global health focus, I can't see that hurting you. And if they don't value it much, did you really want to go there anyway? Don't worry! It'll all work out -- you'll end up at the school that's right for you.

Yeah, getting pants might not be the worst idea. But then should they be hemmed for heel height or flat height? Too complicate.

Very true! GWU seemed to really emphasize global health, so I went for it, but there's always a chance that they think I'd be practicing abroad only, rather than a blend of international and local practice. But, like you said, they really shouldn't make a big deal of these programs if they don't want people taking advantage of them!

Ugh, yeah.. tailoring would be a pain, especially if it's on short notice!

@hellanutella it won't let me quote your post for some reason.... But those wedges are suuuper cute! I like wedges more than I like pumps, but I got pumps because that's what I could find. @spockprime, my heels are about 2-3 inches as well. But that will put me at an average height so I'm not too worried.

@hellanutella it won't let me quote your post for some reason.... But those wedges are suuuper cute! I like wedges more than I like pumps, but I got pumps because that's what I could find. @spockprime, my heels are about 2-3 inches as well. But that will put me at an average height so I'm not too worried.

Awesome, maybe I'll go for the pair I saw! I'm not super tall, so it would put me around or just above an average height. So many decisions to make, and this is just clothing!

Awesome, maybe I'll go for the pair I saw! I'm not super tall, so it would put me around or just above an average height. So many decisions to make, and this is just clothing!

I know.... I've had the hardest time finding shells, since all I can find are sleeveless and I can't wear button-up blouses. So much stressing over clothes! This is not very typical of me!! Haha. But I have my bag, my suit, my heels, my flats, and a few sleeveless shell options. So I think I'm in okay shape for the time being.

I suspect that few interviewers will really care about how ones dressed, as long as you check the right boxes (oh, that phrase again). But being male, I might have an easier job of it purely because it seems that men's professional-wear is more narrowly, historically defined.

What else are you doing to interview prep? I suppose looking through past interview questions and practicing answering them out loud would be useful.

I know.... I've had the hardest time finding shells, since all I can find are sleeveless and I can't wear button-up blouses. So much stressing over clothes! This is not very typical of me!! Haha. But I have my bag, my suit, my heels, my flats, and a few sleeveless shell options. So I think I'm in okay shape for the time being.

Woohoo, sounds like you're good to go! I've also only found really nice sleeveless blouses, but am hunting around for something long-sleeved that isn't just a simple white button-down. Definitely don't enjoy stressing over clothing either, but it's a nice problem to have at this point!

I suspect that few interviewers will really care about how ones dressed, as long as you check the right boxes (oh, that phrase again). But being male, I might have an easier job of it purely because it seems that men's professional-wear is more narrowly, historically defined.

What else are you doing to interview prep? I suppose looking through past interview questions and practicing answering them out loud would be useful.

I scheduled a mock interview with my university, which will hopefully help. I also have a good friend who is very experienced (and successful) at interviews, so I'll probably run through questions with him as well. Otherwise, I'll try to organize my thoughts in regard to common questions and read about recent healthcare changes, etc.

:( You guys are talking about interview clothing already, and I'm still waiting to join the invite party

:( You guys are talking about interview clothing already, and I'm still waiting to join the invite party

Keep your hopes up!! I know it doesn't really help to hear people say that, but seriously they will come! I was feeling really dejected this morning until I suddenly got my invites, and before you know it, you'll have some good news in your inbox as well! It is, after all, only the first week of August!

A big, hearty congrats to @turayza on Ohio and @sunflower18 on Brown! :D You guys are unstoppable!

I cannot wait to see all the love you are going to get from the rest of your schools. Be sure the bring the Class of 2019 plenty of honour and glory at your interviews.

Also: those silly schools better start bestowing IIs upon all your interview-less folks. :grumpy: Waiting ain't fun. Here's to a more eventful, enjoyable August.

Reactions: 6 users
A big, hearty congrats to @turayza on Ohio and @sunflower18 on Brown! :D You guys are unstoppable!

I cannot wait to see all the love you are going to get from the rest of your schools. Be sure the bring the Class of 2019 plenty of honour and glory at your interviews.

Also: those silly schools better start bestowing IIs upon all your interview-less folks. :grumpy: Waiting ain't fun. Here's to a more eventful, enjoyable August.

Thank you so much!! :)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Thank you!!
Time to prepare for honor and glory ;)

First of all, yay! Huh Brown. Second of all, curious, do you have any ties to the school at all? It seems that a lot of residents and med students I've met in the tri-state area are under the impression that Brown is very nepotistic and basically only takes people who went to Brown or have ties to Providence/Brown, etc. I guess 40% of a class being PLME undergrad is very inward-focused, but that general impression just seems way too off to be correct.

First of all, yay! Huh Brown. Second of all, curious, do you have any ties to the school at all? It seems that a lot of residents and med students I've met in the tri-state area are under the impression that Brown is very nepotistic and basically only takes people who went to Brown or have ties to Providence/Brown, etc. I guess 40% of a class being PLME undergrad is very inward-focused, but that general impression just seems way too off to be correct.

Zero ties to Brown, Providence, or Rhode Island.

There's a misconception that Alpert is nepotistic because of the high percentage of Brown alums coming from the PLME program, but outside of the PLME program, they really don't accept many Brown students. This makes total sense because if they're trying to recruit a "balanced" class, they have no reason to recruit students with a similar background as the sizable portion of their class anyways. In fact, the one Brown alum I know who interviewed with Brown had to spend most of his interview trying to convince the interviewer that he would in fact matriculate if he were accepted. I think only 1-2 Brown undergrads end up at Alpert each year outside of PLME. This means that the ~50-60 non-PLME spots are wide open for everyone else. That's certainly a small class size, but it's not nearly as bad as people seem to make it out to be.

That being said, I don't know how Alpert deals with students with ties to Providence -- I'd imagine they handle it similarly to how other schools handle geographic ties.

There's a misconception that Alpert is nepotistic because of the high percentage of Brown alums coming from the PLME program, but outside of the PLME program, they really don't accept many Brown students. This makes total sense because if they're trying to recruit a "balanced" class, they have no reason to recruit students with a similar background as the sizable portion of their class anyways. In fact, the one Brown alum I know who interviewed with Brown had to spend most of his interview trying to convince the interviewer that he would in fact matriculate if he were accepted. I think only 1-2 Brown undergrads end up at Alpert each year outside of PLME. This means that the ~50-60 non-PLME spots are wide open for everyone else. That's certainly a small class size, but it's not nearly as bad as people seem to make it out to be.

That being said, I don't know how Alpert deals with students with ties to Providence -- I'd imagine they handle it similarly to how other schools handle geographic ties.

According to the admissions site, 72/120 of the class entered the typical way (after a 4 year BS/BA at a different school) while 44/120 were PLME. The remaining 4 came in through post-bacc linkages or other feeder programs. I've heard that most of the students they accept in a non-PLME fashion went to Ivies, but I certainly did not attend a top tier undergrad, so we'll see. From what I understand, Brown reviews apps very holistically and accept 70-80% of the non-PLME students who interview.

@sunflower18, you are on fire. How are you scheduling your interviews since you will be flying coast to coast for IIs?

Talk about who is on fire – congrats on NYU! Hope you bump into Sunflower and No Limits there! :D
I don't! Why would you wish this?? They are going to make me look bad :p

Just kidding, way to go you guys! :)

@sunflower18, you are on fire. How are you scheduling your interviews since you will be flying coast to coast for IIs?

You're on fire too!!! We both have five interviews, right? So exciting!!! Congratulations to you for all of your success!!! That's amazing, and I'm sure the trend will continue. You're such a strong applicant.

Yeah... all of my interviews are on the opposite side of the country thus far :( And I'm still in school; I have my senior year of undergrad left. It really complicates things. But I've been spacing them out so I have one interview per week throughout late August to late September, and I'll just fly across the country every week. I was able to make two of my interviews coincide on the same trip (Rochester and NYU), but the others are far enough apart that it'd be a hassle, and cause me to miss more school. I'm choosing all of my interview dates to be Fridays or Mondays so that I can fly out Thursday and fly back Saturday, or fly out Sunday and fly back Tuesday. I only have MWF classes next semester, so each interview means I only miss one day of school. I'm missing a whole bunch of research days (Tu/Th), but my PI is cool about it, thank goodness.

But yeah. So far, I have four separate cross country trips planned during August and September. It will be costly and exhausting, but I couldn't figure out a better way to do it. All of my flights are already booked because I didn't see the point in waiting. Now I just have to wait for student host lists to become available so I can find somewhere to stay!

You're on fire too!!! We both have five interviews, right? So exciting!!! Congratulations to you for all of your success!!! That's amazing, and I'm sure the trend will continue. You're such a strong applicant.

Yeah... all of my interviews are on the opposite side of the country thus far :( And I'm still in school; I have my senior year of undergrad left. It really complicates things. But I've been spacing them out so I have one interview per week throughout late August to late September, and I'll just fly across the country every week. I was able to make two of my interviews coincide on the same trip (Rochester and NYU), but the others are far enough apart that it'd be a hassle, and cause me to miss more school. I'm choosing all of my interview dates to be Fridays or Mondays so that I can fly out Thursday and fly back Saturday, or fly out Sunday and fly back Tuesday. I only have MWF classes next semester, so each interview means I only miss one day of school. I'm missing a whole bunch of research days (Tu/Th), but my PI is cool about it, thank goodness.

But yeah. So far, I have four separate cross country trips planned during August and September. It will be costly and exhausting, but I couldn't figure out a better way to do it. All of my flights are already booked because I didn't see the point in waiting. Now I just have to wait for student host lists to become available so I can find somewhere to stay!

Holy crap! That is going to cost a fortune. :( Any chance you can just take a week off and knock out more of them?

I understand professors may not be very sympathetic to that – which is partly why I waited until I graduated (my school explicitly told me I could not make up exams if they coincided with interviews). :grumpy: It's kind of sad that interview planning is a struggle all in itself. Ah, the curse of being a west coast-er.

Wow congratulations on the interviews today!! You're going to rock them!

Holy crap! That is going to cost a fortune. :( Any chance you can just take a week off and knock out more of them?

I understand professors may not be very sympathetic to that – which is partly why I waited until I graduated (my school explicitly told me I could not make up exams if they coincided with interviews). :grumpy: It's kind of sad that interview planning is a struggle all in itself. Ah, the curse of being a west coast-er.

I know, it's going to be really pricy :( Luckily I do have some airline points saved up so some of the flights are free. Yay!

So far, it hasn't seemed like taking a full week to do interviews is going to be more effective :( I'd have to take the train everywhere on the East Coast, and then taxis to my hotels and stuff. All of those things are also costly, and it adds up. And it also adds a level of stress. So while it feels ridiculous to fly back and forth, so far it's seemed like the best decision. That might change if I get more interviews, and then I might switch up my strategy. We'll see. Hopefully I don't fail my senior year! That'd be a major headache hahaha.

My school doesn't seem to have that policy.... It's a really small school and I am sure my professors will be understanding! I hope...!

Plot twist: I miss too many days of class interviewing, fail all my classes, get kicked out of school, notices get sent to all the schools I applied to, and I get rejected everywhere.

This is an actual nightmare I had last night. Applying to med school is brutal.

Plot twist: I miss too many days of class interviewing, fail all my classes, get kicked out of school, notices get sent to all the schools I applied to, and I get rejected everywhere.

This is an actual nightmare I had last night. Applying to med school is brutal.

I actually think about this all the time. I'm terrified.

P.S. I admire your MDApps often. Your application is beautiful and you are gonna be rolling in acceptances pretty soon. I might be on fire, but you're a volcano! Nice work! Many many congratulations.

No doubt :) I'm really excited for it to be 10 months from now, and we have all picked our schools and are ready to begin MS1. It's gonna be awesome.
Some of my friends who applied last year started MS1 today. They all posted pics of themselves in class on facebook, and I turned greenish-purple from envy.