Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some of my friends who applied last year started MS1 today. They all posted pics of themselves in class on facebook, and I turned greenish-purple from envy.

That's so exciting for them. It'll be us before we know it! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just because this thread is my little paranoia safe place, can I just stress how mystified I am with the silence a lot of the "fast turnaround" schools have been giving. This process is – and will always be – a mystery. However, my hard-wired research tendencies make me want to decipher some sort of elaborate algorithm that determines interview/rejection chances. I just need to step away from SDN, remind myself it's only early August, and busy myself with real world problems... but when I've invested upwards of 4K in this business I have difficulty letting things go.

Ugh. Really, I am inordinately privileged to have these problems. I've been trying to share in the excitement of other people getting IIs because it keeps me distracted from my own apps... well, it helps a bit until I realize I won't be safe until I actually land an acceptance. -____-

Can we just fast forward to next summer when this is (hopefully) all said and done? If I get asked "What is your greatest weakness?" during an interview, I will reply "A glaring lack of patience."

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It has been a disturbingly quiet week for me. No invite, no rejection, nada. It just hit me that in two weeks I will be having my first interview. Things just got serious really fast.:eek:

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone! I've seen most of you in the school specific threads but I decided to finally join the conversation here :)

Reactions: 4 users
It has been a disturbingly quiet week for me. No invite, no rejection, nada. It just hit me that in two weeks I will be having my first interview. Things just got serious really fast.:eek:

Mine is in three weeks. Scary indeed!!!!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hi everyone! I've seen most of you in the school specific threads but I decided to finally join the conversation here :)
Welcome to the party, Abstractions! (Well as much of a party you can have on a pre-med online form).

Welcome to the party, Abstractions! (Well as much of a party you can have on a pre-med online form).

Hi! I'd like to join the crowd in congratulating you on your amazing cycle so far :D. We have similar applicant profiles/schools we're applying too, however we don't have any interviews in common yet :(. Hopefully that changes soon :D

:hello: Welcome! Happy that you joined us.

Hi there! :)

Hi! I'd like to join the crowd in congratulating you on your amazing cycle so far :D. We have similar applicant profiles/schools we're applying too, however we don't have any interviews in common yet :(. Hopefully that changes soon :D

Hi there! :)

Ouch!! I was the first to welcome you, but no love? It hurts, Abstractions! :cry: :cry:

Totally just kidding -- welcome aboard again!! We are happy to have you here on our train. You'll find that we are jam packed with support and neuroticism! Share both your accomplishments and worries, and you'll find an audience in us :)

Edit: oh and cookies. We, as a collective whole, seem to really enjoy pastries.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Ouch!! I was the first to welcome you, but no love? It hurts, Abstractions! :cry: :cry:

Totally just kidding -- welcome aboard again!! We are happy to have you here on our train. You'll find that we are jam packed with support and neuroticism! Share both your accomplishments and worries, and you'll find an audience in us :)

Edit: oh and cookies. We, as a collective whole, seem to really enjoy pastries.

Posted using SDN Mobile
I definitely thought I quoted everyone LOL whoops :(. And thanks! :) If this thread approaches the neuroticism in the Mayo thread I know I'm in good (and amusing) company.

And the million dollar question: What type of cookies? As a whole I'd pick pastries because of their tremendous variety; but a decadent and gooey chocolate chip cookie is second to none!

I definitely thought I quoted everyone LOL whoops :(. And thanks! :) If this thread approaches the neuroticism in the Mayo thread I know I'm in good (and amusing) company.

And the million dollar question: What type of cookies? As a whole I'd pick pastries because of their tremendous variety; but a decadent and gooey chocolate chip cookie is second to none!

Heh I was only joking :) The neuroticism in the Mayo thread is indeed hilarious. The VCU neuroticism, on the other hand, is just a bunch of panic hahaha

@No Limits just so happens to have recently made a list of his favourite cookies!!! What a coincidence. I love any and all cookies, pretty much. Mmmmm. Cookies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to you superstars who have gotten action this week! I've received only useless emails for the past week...the last email from any med school was NYMC putting my app on hold last Friday.

This might be annoying to ask, but could I get some honest feedback about my probable success this cycle? You can check my MDapps (same exact username) to see my school list, stats, and EC's.

Whoa.. whoa... wait a minute... Did someone say cookies?
smiley-happy114.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to you superstars who have gotten action this week! I've received only useless emails for the past week...the last email from any med school was NYMC putting my app on hold last Friday.

This might be annoying to ask, but could I get some honest feedback about my probable success this cycle? You can check my MDapps (same exact username) to see my school list, stats, and EC's.
Found your app! Ace, I'm no expert but I honestly like your chances. You approached this cycle with a strategic game plan and I honestly feel you will do pretty well. You have two early interview invites and I suspect you will have some more later this month. August and September seems to be the "hot" month where tons of people get interviews. You are already off to a hot start, I'd expect that to continue. In my opinion, you're a superstar.

You already have two interviews -- you're doing outstanding!! There are many many many applicants who haven't had that kind of success yet this cycle, so you're far ahead of the pack!

It's hard for me, as a current applicant, to say much more than that though. Your app looks pretty good to me, and it seems like the schools that you picked fit well with your mission. Your stats are certainly solid (better MCAT than me!). But I'm not an expert about what schools are looking for -- not by any stretch of the imagination. I think that you'll going to find a school that fits perfectly in with your service interests and be really happy there, but I have no idea how to predict the amount of interviews or acceptances you can expect. This cycle has been completely surprising to me so far, so I'm done trying to figure out what'll happen next. Personally though, I think you're in a great place already and shouldn't be worried right now at all.

Found your app! Ace, I'm no expert but I honestly like your chances. You approached this cycle with a strategic game plan and I honestly feel you will do pretty well. You have two early interview invites and I suspect you will have some more later this month. August and September seems to be the "hot" month where tons of people get interviews. You are already off to a hot start, I'd expect that to continue. In my opinion, you're a superstar.

You already have two interviews -- you're doing outstanding!! There are many many many applicants who haven't had that kind of success yet this cycle, so you're far ahead of the pack!

It's hard for me, as a current applicant, to say much more than that though. Your app looks pretty good to me, and it seems like the schools that you picked fit well with your mission. Your stats are certainly solid (better MCAT than me!). But I'm not an expert about what schools are looking for -- not by any stretch of the imagination. I think that you'll going to find a school that fits perfectly in with your service interests and be really happy there, but I have no idea how to predict the amount of interviews or acceptances you can expect. This cycle has been completely surprising to me so far, so I'm done trying to figure out what'll happen next. Personally though, I think you're in a great place already and shouldn't be worried right now at all.
Thanks, y'all. I'm so sorry I made y'all do this. I keep losing confidence every day I don't get any important email, and I know that it's irrational and unhealthy to do so. Thank you both for believing in me and thinking I have a chance. It really means a lot.

Thanks, y'all. I'm so sorry I made y'all do this. I keep losing confidence every day I don't get any important email, and I know that it's irrational and unhealthy to do so. Thank you both for believing in me and thinking I have a chance. It really means a lot.

Of course. I completely understand and empathize. I lost all confidence in my app every few days earlier this year. From March to June, I was convinced that I wouldn't get in anywhere and that my application was awful and that I had no business applying. Everyone on this thread was so supportive and encouraged me and told me that they believed in me. It was incredibly nice, and meant so much to me. I'm happy to pass on the favour! This process is crazy neurotic, and I think it'll only get worse from here on out, when we're looking at acceptances vs waitlists vs rejections instead of just IIs. We gotta stick together, believe in ourselves and each other, and stay positive :) We'll all get through it!

Reactions: 1 users
No apology needed! We all go through this. With how random things have been it's hard not to take it personally and lose confidence in yourself. But that's what we are here for. I will gladly remind anybody how awesome they are on days they feel a bit crappy. Now today my fortune cookie (i just wanted the cookie don't judge me) said good things are coming, so I am hoping that means interviews for everyone in our thread tomorrow. Especially those without interviews yet! :xf:

Eff me .... Got to work a little bit ago and noticed my car/house keys are missing. gg.................

Cookies? I've been lurking around for a while, but if COOKIES are involved I might need to join this conversation.

Hi guys :hello:

Welcome and congratulations on your IIs! I think you're the legendary penguin that made a number of people, including No Limits, change their avatars. ;)

Found my keys!!! I guess I dropped them at the transit center.

TGIF. No IIs tho. :(

No apology needed! We all go through this. With how random things have been it's hard not to take it personally and lose confidence in yourself. But that's what we are here for. I will gladly remind anybody how awesome they are on days they feel a bit crappy. Now today my fortune cookie (i just wanted the cookie don't judge me) said good things are coming, so I am hoping that means interviews for everyone in our thread tomorrow. Especially those without interviews yet! :xf:
Still nothing...but it's Friday, and the ER is slow. Good break for me, since every other day has been really hectic. Hope y'all enjoy your weekends!

There's a misconception that Alpert is nepotistic because of the high percentage of Brown alums coming from the PLME program, but outside of the PLME program, they really don't accept many Brown students. This makes total sense because if they're trying to recruit a "balanced" class, they have no reason to recruit students with a similar background as the sizable portion of their class anyways. In fact, the one Brown alum I know who interviewed with Brown had to spend most of his interview trying to convince the interviewer that he would in fact matriculate if he were accepted. I think only 1-2 Brown undergrads end up at Alpert each year outside of PLME. This means that the ~50-60 non-PLME spots are wide open for everyone else. That's certainly a small class size, but it's not nearly as bad as people seem to make it out to be.

That being said, I don't know how Alpert deals with students with ties to Providence -- I'd imagine they handle it similarly to how other schools handle geographic ties.
Yeah I thought that too, but it's really a huge thing here whenever Brown is brought up lol

Welcome and congratulations on your IIs! I think you're the legendary penguin that made a number of people, including No Limits, change their avatars. ;)

Thank you! I might be, though I'm not certain. I'm incredibly astounded that I have IIs already... and I'm honored to have started some sort of trend :)

Some of the people who received interviews from Duke had penguin avatars so a couple of us changed our avatars to Penguins in hopes of landing one too... didn't work:(

Haha i'm sure it will work eventually!

I bought some lint rollers and a Tide-to-go today. Does that count?

I need to get both those things!!! I got two more shells and an umbrella today. I still need lint rollers, Tide pen, pad folio, pad of paper, pen, pen case. I have no idea what all I need to bring so I keep thinking of new things to add to my list. Better to be over prepared than underprepared though, right?

Posted using SDN Mobile

I need to get both those things!!! I got two more shells and an umbrella today. I still need lint rollers, Tide pen, pad folio, pad of paper, pen, pen case. I have no idea what all I need to bring so I keep thinking of new things to add to my list. Better to be over prepared than underprepared though, right?

Posted using SDN Mobile

To echo gtlo's question: a pen case? Like for a fountain pen?

Ooof. Looks like I have a lot more shopping to do. For the interview itself I'm bringing: bandaids, hand sanitizer, advil, and a tide pen.

Some interview prep blogs were suggesting that you bring along business cards, copies of your resume, and copies of your publications. :rolleyes: I'm going to skip those...

A pen case, @sunflower18?

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile
Somehow I missed that :laugh:
To echo gtlo's question: a pen case? Like for a fountain pen?

Ooof. Looks like I have a lot more shopping to do. For the interview itself I'm bringing: bandaids, hand sanitizer, advil, and a tide pen.

Some interview prep blogs were suggesting that you bring along business cards, copies of your resume, and copies of your publications. :rolleyes: I'm going to skip those...
LOL business cards? :lol:

You guys need to step your pen game up. I'm showing up to my interview with one of those long feathers that you have dip in ink.

images

Reactions: 4 users
You guys need to step your pen game up. I'm showing up to my interview with one of those long feathers that you have dip in ink.

images

Ah, a quill. So posh. :thumbup: I approve of this move.

No idea about the business cards. Mine would read: "Hella Nutella, broke and desperate premed." It'd certainly leave my interviewers with something to bring up to the admissions committee.

Somehow I missed that :laugh:

LOL business cards? :lol:

images

Haha I have one of those! I can just imagine sitting down regally at the interview, and setting up my parchment, quills, and inkwell. It would certainly be memorable... :rofl:

Last edited:
Don't forget to get it embroidered with "Future Doc" and your initials :p

Ahaha, ahhhh the great pen case mystery has been solved. I always call those things "pencil cases" so the "pen case" threw we for a loop. Remember to bring along a collection of monogramed pens and to leave one surreptitiously on your interviewer's desk. ;)

@spockprime sweet hobby! I've dabbled a bit in calligraphy myself, though I'm not particularly any good. :p I absolutely adore Arabic calligraphy... I've seen a few exhibits over the years and the pieces never fail to stun me.

Hey all! I've been a long-time lurker. Glad to join Class of 2019 thread. :) I love that our OP @ElCapone isn't banned.

Good luck everyone!

So, what are the absolute minimal things we have to bring to the interview besides ourselves wearing a suit?

Hey all! I've been a long-time lurker. Glad to join Class of 2019 thread. :) I love that our OP @ElCapone isn't banned.

Good luck everyone!
smiley-greet025.gif
welcome fellow Penguin, here's to hoping we get some love from Duke this week!