Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You guys are making me jealous, already going on your interviews! My first one is not for another 10 days. I wish I scheduled some earlier ones so my interview season can finally get started. I'm starting to get anxious :panda:

Members don't see this ad.

You guys are making me jealous, already going on your interviews! My first one is not for another 10 days. I wish I scheduled some earlier ones so my interview season can finally get started. I'm starting to get anxious :panda:

Those 10 days are definitely going to fly by though!! I still can't believe that I'm in the thick of interview season... In 17 days, I'll be done with half of my scheduled interviews thus far. That's crazy!!! And only 40 days until October 15th..........

Reactions: 1 users
Those 10 days are definitely going to fly by though!! I still can't believe that I'm in the thick of interview season... In 17 days, I'll be done with half of my scheduled interviews thus far. That's crazy!!! And only 40 days until October 15th..........
Those 40 days can't come fast enough lol. And then October 15th will either be the best day ever or the worst day ever hahaha.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Those 40 days can't come fast enough lol. And then October 15th will either be the best day ever or the worst day ever hahaha.

Absolutely. I could potentially hear from 7-9 schools on oct 15...... Oh man that's terrifying haha. I'll be crushed if my phone doesn't ring at all that day! I can't think like that though. That's unhealthy! What will be will be :)

Absolutely. I could potentially hear from 7-9 schools on oct 15...... Oh man that's terrifying haha. I'll be crushed if my phone doesn't ring at all that day! I can't think like that though. That's unhealthy! What will be will be :)
Yeah, don't stress out! You'll have a higher chance than me for acceptance anyway because I'll only have 3 schools to potentially hear back from.

Yeah, don't stress out! You'll have a higher chance than me for acceptance anyway because I'll only have 3 schools to potentially hear back from.

That's true. 3 is still great though!! I'm sure you will get in to most or all of them :) it sounds like you fit their programs really well.

I don't think my interviews went as well here :/ expecting bad news come October 15th. Oh well. Nothing I can do about it, and I can't expect to win em all. But I think I earned a nap and pizza for my efforts!

Glad that yours was great, @Ace Khalifa :)
Interviews matter so little in the process (comparatively) that post-interview feelings probably mean less than post-MCAT feelings. Unless you showed up in flip flops and held out a dead fish during the handshake greeting, it's probably back to your paper app when the committee meets. At least that's the feeling I've gotten (and heard from more than a few med students who've been interviewers) from SDN and admission officers.

Looking up touristy things to do in new York...there is so much to see!
Has anyone been on the Staten island ferry? It's like an hour long roundtrip, is that too bland to go alone...hahah.
And has anyone been to the 9/11 memorial?

Interviews matter so little in the process (comparatively) that post-interview feelings probably mean less than post-MCAT feelings. Unless you showed up in flip flops and held out a dead fish during the handshake greeting, it's probably back to your paper app when the committee meets. At least that's the feeling I've gotten (and heard from more than a few med students who've been interviewers) from SDN and admission officers.

Yeah, I don't know how the interviews are factored in. I think you're right; unless you majorly screw up, I don't think the interview has major sway. I can't think of how an "exceptional" interview would boost a borderline applicant to a sure-fire acceptance.

By and large, all mine have been low-key and very pleasant. It seemed more like they wanted to verify who you claimed to be on paper and to see if you could hold a decent conversation. Most everyone else I've interviewed with has reported the same. Eh, this process shall remain a mystery.

Has anyone been on the Staten island ferry? It's like an hour long roundtrip, is that too bland to go alone...hahah.

I recently got back from New York, and I loved every minute of it! Believe it or not, I managed to find so many free or nearly free things to do in New York when I was there. Plan more like 1.5-2 hours for the Staten Island ferry, since you might have to wait for the ship to leave Staten Island again once you get there. But it's free and probably worth it if you're at all interested in architecture/skylines. You'll get some great pictures of lower Manhattan, and you pass right by the Statue of Liberty.

The 9/11 memorial was definitely something you shouldn't miss, very moving and I felt a fitting memorial for the events that happened. They have the ~3000 names of everyone who lost their lives, all around a massive stone "footprint" of where the buildings stood.

One of my favorite things I did in NYC was just walking around, and visiting the different neighborhoods. Little Italy and Chinatown are next to each other in Lower Manhattan. Then you can walk a little farther down and see all the huge government buildings, keep going and you'll basically get to Wall Street and Battery Park. In Midtown, the most obvious place to visit is Times Square. A little ways east from there is Rockefeller Center (NBC) and the New York Public Library. More in the upper west side, the American Museum of Natural History is free during their last hour: 4:45-5:45

There are literally so many more places to see. I bought a $25 MetroCard, and it was totally worth it. With this, any trip on the subway is $2.50 so you can go pretty much anywhere around New York and get there quickly. One of my fellow interviewees told me about HopStop. I've never used it, but apparently it helps plan out which subway lines to take and where to transfer to get there in the quickest time. Anyway, everything about New York was amazing. Enjoy the trip!

Reactions: 4 users
I recently got back from New York, and I loved every minute of it! Believe it or not, I managed to find so many free or nearly free things to do in New York when I was there. Plan more like 1.5-2 hours for the Staten Island ferry, since you might have to wait for the ship to leave Staten Island again once you get there. But it's free and probably worth it if you're at all interested in architecture/skylines. You'll get some great pictures of lower Manhattan, and you pass right by the Statue of Liberty.

The 9/11 memorial was definitely something you shouldn't miss, very moving and I felt a fitting memorial for the events that happened. They have the ~3000 names of everyone who lost their lives, all around a massive stone "footprint" of where the buildings stood.

One of my favorite things I did in NYC was just walking around, and visiting the different neighborhoods. Little Italy and Chinatown are next to each other in Lower Manhattan. Then you can walk a little farther down and see all the huge government buildings, keep going and you'll basically get to Wall Street and Battery Park. In Midtown, the most obvious place to visit is Times Square. A little ways east from there is Rockefeller Center (NBC) and the New York Public Library. More in the upper west side, the American Museum of Natural History is free during their last hour: 4:45-5:45

There are literally so many more places to see. I bought a $25 MetroCard, and it was totally worth it. With this, any trip on the subway is $2.50 so you can go pretty much anywhere around New York and get there quickly. One of my fellow interviewees told me about HopStop. I've never used it, but apparently it helps plan out which subway lines to take and where to transfer to get there in the quickest time. Anyway, everything about New York was amazing. Enjoy the trip!

Ahhhhhh I'm like three hours from NYC right now and this is making me SO EXCITED

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, thanks!! I'll definitely look into hop stop. I went to NYC for a conference and I remember the subway system being pretty outstanding.

Haha @sunflower18 me too, I'm super excited :X3:

If anyone is there on Wednesday, that's my explore day :D

Also if anyone wants help for MMI this seems to be quite helpful.

Attachments

• MMIHelp.pdf
    383.1 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: 2 users
Ferry is cool. I wouldn't say it's worth your limited time there, though. It's the best way to get a good picture with the Statue and that's about it (which means if you're going by yourself you're gonna have to ask strangers who are probably making the actual commute to/from work and can be annoyed at it).

Never heard of Hop Stop but the maps are so detailed if you just download a copy on your phone you shouldn't have any problems finding where all the connections are.

9/11 memorial is aight, I still remember the seeing (and smelling) the actual smoke and **** from that day so the area really creeps me out but like was said it's in the heart of lower Manhattan which you should definitely visit.

AMNH is technically free most days. They ask for a suggested donation but you're free to have a thick skin and give whatever amount you like or can afford. I would say stuff about MoMa but I've never been and don't plan on going so I'll just say if you like art and abstract **** like colored squares on a canvas, it's probably pretty good.

For lunch I'd recommend any one of the halal trucks you find on the street. $6-8 gets you some of the best halal food there is. Get some white sauce if you want, leave the hot sauce. Yummy goodness.

Herald Square for affordable shopping is cool, and southern Central Park has the famous Apple Store cube and FAO Schearz (whee overpriced oversized stuff animals).

Walk/bike across the Brooklyn Bridge. Kiss someone in the middle. It sways; I swear.

I'd venture out also to Brooklyn and Queens if you have time. Manhttan's cool, sure, but it's like <30% of New York and doesn't give you a good picture of what the city is about (e.g., racial and economic diversity). Most of midtown and lower Manhattan is shockingly white and upper class.

Last edited:
Ferry is cool. I wouldn't say it's worth your limited time there, though. It's the best way to get a good picture with the Statue and that's about it.
I think I'd agree-if you only have one day or less, the ferry would take up a huge chunk of time. By the time I got there, I just needed to sit down after walking for miles, so the ferry was a nice break on my feet!

Of course you guys would come into NYC right when I leave. :arghh: Have a brilliant time!

I personally went to the MOMA, Met, and Guggenheim (art nerd, ok). Also went on several jogs around Central Park, which is not a good idea to do A) because NYC is too humid right now and B) of course you're going to get massive blisters the day before your interview. :oops: Ate lots of good food, including some legit Mexican stuff in Harlem. Seriously, best Mexican food I have had to date. Glad I had some student hosts to eat out with, because the amount of food choices in NYC is simply overwhelming and they typically know the hidden gems.

Battery Park has a pretty cool view of Downtown and is close to the 9/11 memorial. I avoided Times Square like the plague. Took the subway everywhere, but be warned there's probably some closures on the E line this weekend if you're using JFK. Oh, and the subway stations are disgustingly hot so don't go down there in an interview suit. Overall, had a wonderful time and am crossing my fingers I get to return to NYC in the near future (uh, second look please?).

Now onto the Burgh!

Also: love the Rochester summary, @sunflower18. Was frantically checking mdapps until I saw you put it up hahah. Didn't know about their deaf program, but it sounds amazing! I'm sure you did better than you think... Post-interview feelings are often not indicative of anything. Enjoy your MMI!

And @turayza is going to love Sinai. Hands down prettiest hospital I have seen; looks like a modern art museum inside. I wish I got photos of it. :(

PPS: whooooooooo oh sweet Lordy congrats on USC @No Limits! Pretty sure we don't have the same date (mine is in about a week away :nailbiting:). Don't know of any cool food places around the health science campus, because honestly it is pretty rough, but I go to downtown plenty. Let me know if you want any food/attraction suggestions. Pretty sure @Abstractions knows of good la stuff too, in USC's rival area. ;)

Shameless plug, but if any of you guys go to LA and want to hit up the bars/clubs in downtown check out Boba 7 beforehand. You can get massive boozy bobas for $6-8, a steal considering most drinks in LA are ~$13. My favourite is (duh) the NutellaBoba with Kahlua, Bailey's, and Frangelico added into it. So yeah, pre-game on bubble tea.

Also: love the Rochester summary, @sunflower18. Was frantically checking mdapps until I saw you put it up hahah. Didn't know about their deaf program, but it sounds amazing! I'm sure you did better than you think... Post-interview feelings are often not indicative of anything. Enjoy your MMI!

And @turayza is going to love Sinai. Hands down prettiest hospital I have seen; looks like a modern art museum inside. I wish I got photos of it. :(

Hey thanks!!!! The deaf program is indeed really cool. I keep checking your mdapps for your Sinai review, so I'm glad I'm not alone in the refreshing!!!

Aahhhh thanks!!! I'm in the city now. Not sure what I'm gonna do tomorrow but tonight I'm gonna go eat near NYU and walk by the school to see where it is :)

Hey thanks!!!! The deaf program is indeed really cool. I keep checking your mdapps for your Sinai review, so I'm glad I'm not alone in the refreshing!!!

Aahhhh thanks!!! I'm in the city now. Not sure what I'm gonna do tomorrow but tonight I'm gonna go eat near NYU and walk by the school to see where it is :)

Read your Rochester review! It got me excited for my interview!

How long will you be in NYC?

PPS: whooooooooo oh sweet Lordy congrats on USC @No Limits! Pretty sure we don't have the same date (mine is in about a week away :nailbiting:). Don't know of any cool food places around the health science campus, because honestly it is pretty rough, but I go to downtown plenty. Let me know if you want any food/attraction suggestions. Pretty sure @Abstractions knows of good la stuff too, in USC's rival area. ;)

Shameless plug, but if any of you guys go to LA and want to hit up the bars/clubs in downtown check out Boba 7 beforehand. You can get massive boozy bobas for $6-8, a steal considering most drinks in LA are ~$13. My favourite is (duh) the NutellaBoba with Kahlua, Bailey's, and Frangelico added into it. So yeah, pre-game on bubble tea.
........................SoCal Asians would figure out a way to get drunk on bubble tea. -______-

Read your Rochester review! It got me excited for my interview!

How long will you be in NYC?

Yeah!! Be excited!! :) it's a good school, and I had a good experience. is it coming up?
Here until Tuesday! I'm pretty stoked. I walked by NYU med center and Bellevue and ohhhh my gosh. SO beautiful. I'm really, really, really excited.

Finally got the Sinai one up. I actually got a ton of free time waiting in the airport/sitting on flights, so my summaries are rather painfully long. Brevity is not my middle name ;) Really lucky that my first three interviews were so pleasant... hope Pitt continues this trend. (I kept reading wolverinegrad's Pitt summary over and over to get myself pumped for the interview. Gah, seems like a phenomenal school).

Crossing my fingers you have a brilliant time at NYU (pretty sure you will)! The area seems quite vibrant, so I'm sure the students have an overwhelming number of things to do. Soak in the sights!

Finally got the Sinai one up. I actually got a ton of free time waiting in the airport/sitting on flights, so my summaries are rather painfully long. Brevity is not my middle name ;) Really lucky that my first three interviews were so pleasant... hope Pitt continues this trend. (I kept reading wolverinegrad's Pitt summary over and over to get myself pumped for the interview. Gah, seems like a phenomenal school).

Crossing my fingers you have a brilliant time at NYU (pretty sure you will)! The area seems quite vibrant, so I'm sure the students have an overwhelming number of things to do. Soak in the sights!

Loved your summary!!!! Makes me wish I had applied. I'm glad you liked it so much though :) that's awesome. I'm sure Pitt will be great!! You'll do fantastic.

Thanks for the good vibes about NYU! I'm getting pretty excited... 24 hours until I'm waiting in the admissions office!!!

@hellanutella Ah your Sinai review is wonderful...they should buy it off you and post it on their website ;) SO excited for this upcoming week!!
Also boozed up bbt is probably the most amazing thing I've ever heard of...next time I go to LA, definitely getting it haha

@sunflower18 Good luck tomorrow!! Looking forward to hearing how it goes :)

Last edited:

Your reviews were all wonderful to read (and now I'm even more enchanted with Sinai, what a dream to attend that school)! That's so great that you had such positive experiences!

And good luck @sunflower18 on NYU this week!! My second interview is this week too and I'm hoping it's as friendly and conversational as the first!

Your reviews were all wonderful to read (and now I'm even more enchanted with Sinai, what a dream to attend that school)! That's so great that you had such positive experiences!

And good luck @sunflower18 on NYU this week!! My second interview is this week too and I'm hoping it's as friendly and conversational as the first!
Thank you! I love rambling about my travels haha. In an alternate universe I would want to be a hotel/restaurant reviewer (I mean, is that not the best job ever? Well, short of being a physician ;)).

Whooo, good luck spockprime! This one is Kentucky, correct? You're going to be stunning. Be sure to let us know how they go, especially your Georgetown one!

On the bus to NYC! It is going to be my first time. So excited! Also the bus has wifi, power outlets, and free snacks. Talk about awesome!

Reactions: 6 users
On the bus to NYC! It is going to be my first time. So excited! Also the bus has wifi, power outlets, and free snacks. Talk about awesome!

Are you on something like a Bolt bus?

Have fun in NYC! You'll do great! :)

Have fun in NYC! You'll do great! :)
Thank you! Also sending you some fellow Coloradan support! Congrats on WVU and heres hoping for even more invites soon! :)

Thank you! I love rambling about my travels haha. In an alternate universe I would want to be a hotel/restaurant reviewer (I mean, is that not the best job ever? Well, short of being a physician ;)).

Whooo, good luck spockprime! This one is Kentucky, correct? You're going to be stunning. Be sure to let us know how they go, especially your Georgetown one!

Well your rambles are very well-written and exciting to read, so keep it up - you're incredible! I definitely agree with you on being a reviewer (especially food!!), it would be amazing. Travel writing would be great, too! There used to be a show on the travel channel called Passport to Europe, and the host would travel around to different cities, staying in exquisite hotels, eating local delicacies, and explaining the history and sights. Anthony Bourdain does something similar now, as well as writing and focusing a lot on food (with a far grittier and cynical approach, of course). If only we could do both!

Thank you for the confidence and well wishes (and big congratulations on your latest IIs -- I've been on SDN intermittently this past week, so sometimes I miss things)!! Yep, this one will be UK, and I'm really excited to see their campus and learn more about the school -- I haven't been to Lexington in years. And I'm still finding myself grinning like mad at the thought of actually interviewing at and seeing Georgetown... I will definitely update you guys on how that goes! Good luck to everyone with upcoming interviews!! :luck:

Free snacks!? Which carrier are you using?

Even though I'm taking a gap year, I still lurk this thread. I'm reading people's interview impressions on mdapps instead of studying for immuno right now. Keep it up!

Wow... gone for a weekend and I miss sooo much! I have two more interviews this week and just had one last friday! I think I'm starting to fall in love with some schools! I'll post school impressions for all the schools I've interviewed at next week.... some of my interviews have been super small and I want to maintain some level of anonymity.

But good luck to everyone with interviews this week!

Reactions: 3 users
Wow... gone for a weekend and I miss sooo much! I have two more interviews this week and just had one last friday! I think I'm starting to fall in love with some schools! I'll post school impressions for all the schools I've interviewed at next week.... some of my interviews have been super small and I want to maintain some level of anonymity.

But good luck to everyone with interviews this week!

Good luck! I'm in a similar boat as well... five more days till I get to go home. I look forward to those impressions. ;)

Ahaha, totally understandable. However, I kind of threw anonymity to the wind. :ninja: Nevertheless, the sdn people I've met IRL thus far have been super friendly and helpful. If you bump into me at an interview, don't be a stranger!

I don't think I'll ever get to meet any of y'all in real life since I've only had 4 IIs at schools y'all probably didn't apply to. However, I think we should all develop some sort of secret code so that in real life, we can find each other without having to awkwardly ask lolz.

Good luck! I'm in a similar boat as well... five more days till I get to go home. I look forward to those impressions. ;)

Ahaha, totally understandable. However, I kind of threw anonymity to the wind. :ninja: Nevertheless, the sdn people I've met IRL thus far have been super friendly and helpful. If you bump into me at an interview, don't be a stranger!

But how will we KNOW if we bump into each other?

Also my impressions will be not NEARLY as impressive as yours or @sunflower18 ... but I'll try!

@ProbablyAPenguin So far I've been the only person at all my interviews who went to a podunk state school. Or just casually mention "I really wish they had Nutella sandwiches at the interview breakfast" and I will begin to freak out. As I said before, I'm super easy to identify. ;)

Don't think I'll see Ace because we don't have much school overlap. :( Sadness.

Good luck, @sunflower18!!
image.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Ahhhhh thanks!!! SO EXCITING!!!!

Nobody has outed me at my interviews so far... But I bet people knew who I was, heh. I'm pretty identifiable I think, because I'm still in undergrad and on the west coast. I don't really mind or anything though! I hope I get to see some of y'all :) you can ask me what my favourite flower is of something if you suspect it to be me!

Ahhhhh thanks!!! SO EXCITING!!!!

Nobody has outed me at my interviews so far... But I bet people knew who I was, heh. I'm pretty identifiable I think, because I'm still in undergrad and on the west coast. I don't really mind or anything though! I hope I get to see some of y'all :) you can ask me what my favourite flower is of something if you suspect it to be me!
I'll bust out my detective work at Albany ;) I honestly have no idea how y'all afford it being from the west coast. My flights are substantially shorter and I am still out of money!

I'll bust out my detective work at Albany ;) I honestly have no idea how y'all afford it being from the west coast. My flights are substantially shorter and I am still out of money!

Guess I'm going to miss you while I'm in Cville! Really hoping they give you some love ASAP.

I honestly cannot afford all these interviews haha. I moved into my parent's office room because I was going to be spending so much time out of the state these next two months that it didn't make any sense to pay for rent. You gotta do what you gotta do. Thankfully I'm salaried, so my income has been constant... event though I haven't been at work the last two weeks. (I did make up for it by working weekends, though).

Have a brilliant time at Albany! Enjoy it while the weather is nice. Are you and sunflower interviewing at the same time?

Free snacks!? Which carrier are you using?
Well...definitely not Greyhound or Peter Pan or Megabus or Bolt or the Chinatown ones...I've taken all of those and I've never seen any free snacks wut

Yes!!! I'll be on the lookout hehe. It's soooo expensive agh! I've been working fulltime throughout college to save up for apps but still. It's really insanely expensive. My rent is super cheap, thank god ($300-400 a month) so that helps too.