Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes!!! I'll be on the lookout hehe. It's soooo expensive agh! I've been working fulltime throughout college to save up for apps but still. It's really insanely expensive. My rent is super cheap, thank god ($300-400 a month) so that helps too.

what! that is like half of my rent....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes!!! I'll be on the lookout hehe. It's soooo expensive agh! I've been working fulltime throughout college to save up for apps but still. It's really insanely expensive. My rent is super cheap, thank god ($300-400 a month) so that helps too.
YEAH OREGON!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my post-to-like ratio has dropped below 2. Can I has some pity likes? :( :( :( :cryi:

Reactions: 7 users
@hellanutella I think we don't have much school overlap because you're a superstar applicant and I'm not lulz. I looked at your MDapps. You have me beat on stats and pretty much everything else, so it makes sense that you applied to better schools than I did overall.

@hellanutella I think we don't have much school overlap because you're a superstar applicant and I'm not lulz. I looked at your MDapps. You have me beat on stats and pretty much everything else, so it makes sense that you applied to better schools than I did overall.

I agree that @hellanutella is a straight up goddess, but you're a stellar applicant too. Your stats are better than mine, and your volunteering is much more extensive. You have a really wonderful application. So don't berate yourself like that! She applied to research heavy schools and you applied to schools that match your mission of clinical focus. No way to compare those two! Better is so subjective, and is not determined by USNWR. It all depends on what you're looking for in a program.

Reactions: 5 users

Ace, do not sell yourself short! Your stats are nothing to sneeze at and your ecs are beautifully directed towards mission-driven schools (and that's awesome)! My schools are primarily research heavy, because I'm a bit of a lab bum and I love it. Community service-heavy schools probably wouldn't give me the light of day. All too often this site becomes a comparison game, but what we fail to remember is that we are unique in our own right. Also: stats are probably one of the worst metrics for gauging "value." I think stats are more like a check box to verify that you can academically handle med school, while the experiences are the factors that drive interviews/acceptances (unless the school just desperately wants to drive up its accepted student mcat/gpa averages ;)). Just my $0.02.

Reactions: 4 users
Boo... still no interview ... Hoping this week is better! Disgusted Penguin, don't let me down!

Boo... still no interview ... Hoping this week is better! Disgusted Penguin, don't let me down!

Have hope! A friend of mine submitted AMCAS late september last year with average stats, completed secondaries late october, and still had a few IIs and at least one acceptance. It's still early, I hope you hear back soon!

@ProbablyAPenguin So far I've been the only person at all my interviews who went to a podunk state school. Or just casually mention "I really wish they had Nutella sandwiches at the interview breakfast" and I will begin to freak out. As I said before, I'm super easy to identify. ;)

Don't think I'll see Ace because we don't have much school overlap. :( Sadness.

@hellanutella @sunflower18 @ProbablyAPenguin

Anonymity? What does that mean??? ;)

Just kidding. I've scheduled my interviews for later this year (trying to group them so that I don't have to take too much time away from the lab), and so I've only been to one so far. But I think I am super super super identifiable. I come from a Midwest state school and am working on a PhD and all I do at breakfast is blab about how Pittsburgh reminds me of Iowa, how much I love that and what my what my lab project is about. I avoid saying I graduated from undergrad a couple years ago because I would be SO. EXPOSED. :hungover:

But when we had our introductions by the dean I admitted that I went to undergrad in Texas but came to Iowa to work on so-and-so project. I did not mention any graduate degrees or anything of the sort. LOL

Yet despite my measly half-hearted efforts to conceal my identity, I bet all my fellow interviewees coming on sdn knew exactly who I was! I don't mind though for some reason. I think I should should mind though because I can be pretty goofy here :D

If you run into me on the interview trail, say something about SpongeBob and I'll certainly reciprocate!

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhh I had an amazing interview day. I'm on cloud nine. So happy. :) I hope they love me as much as I love them!

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU actually! :) thank you though!!! I'm still excited to visit Iowa hehe :)

Ooops! I just realized you had already posted your impression of Rochester. I have a friend who knows a friend doing an MD PhD at NYU, it's a great school!!! Glad you liked it!

Excited to have you here ;)

Ahhhhhhh I had an amazing interview day. I'm on cloud nine. So happy. :) I hope they love me as much as I love them!

Yeeeeeeeeee now I can compulsively start checking mdapps until you put your summary up! Congrats on your first MMI! ;) NYC is so dreamy, isn't it? Bet Bellevue was amazing.

Ooops! I just realized you had already posted your impression of Rochester. I have a friend who knows a friend doing an MD PhD at NYU, it's a great school!!! Glad you liked it!

Excited to have you here ;)

Ahhh good to know!! Thank you!! :) I loved it :)

So glad you had a great experience! :)
I didn't apply to NYU but I can't wait for your review for the MMI side of things!

Yeeeeeeeeee now I can compulsively start checking mdapps until you put your summary up! Congrats on your first MMI! ;) NYC is so dreamy, isn't it? Bet Bellevue was amazing.

I shall write it tomorrow in the plane or in the airport!!! :) did you have Pitt today?

Yes the MMI was interesting and fun!! I have no idea how I did but I hope it went well :)

NYC is awesome and Bellevue is BEAUTIFUL. So is Tisch. Oh man. I loved it.

So glad you had a great experience! :)
I didn't apply to NYU but I can't wait for your review for the MMI side of things!

And at @Person0715 --

Oh man I feel so special that you guys like my reviews! They aren't nearly as eloquent as hellanutella's but I like organising my thoughts out on paper. I might write it tonight and post it first thing tomorrow!

Einstein was amazing. So amazingly friendly and helpful. Plus you can't beat $500 rent in New York!

Reactions: 9 users
@ProbablyAPenguin So far I've been the only person at all my interviews who went to a podunk state school. Or just casually mention "I really wish they had Nutella sandwiches at the interview breakfast" and I will begin to freak out. As I said before, I'm super easy to identify. ;)

Don't think I'll see Ace because we don't have much school overlap. :( Sadness.

Oh I figured it out! People will know me because I'm the kid with the dumb phone because she was dumb and lost her iphone at the new haven airport :( :(

~ear-splitting screech, as glass windowpanes all across the eastern US shatter ~ @No Limits! :eek: UCSF? Ldenlknfrkjenrfkjnerfkkjnkjnd jefenjndejen. If you get my date, I will seriously greet you with an xxl bag of Oreos and force you to carry it around for the duration of your interview day. It'll be so big, there'll be no way you can fit it into a briefcase/satchel. And I stay true to my word.

~ear-splitting screech, as glass windowpanes all across the eastern US shatter ~ @No Limits! :eek: UCSF? Ldenlknfrkjenrfkjnerfkkjnkjnd jefenjndejen. If you get my date, I will seriously greet you with an xxl bag of Oreos and force you to carry it around for the duration of your interview day. It'll be so big, there'll be no way you can fit it into a briefcase/satchel. And I stay true to my word.
LOL
smiley-signs001.gif

You're hilarious. Thank you so much for your support, you don't miss a thing! And how can I ever turn down a bag of oreos??? I will be pm'ing you shortly! lol

I'm so happy for y'all right now! So many good vibes, it's exhilarating. UNC in 2 days, I can't wait. Maybe I'll actually write a detailed review this time lulz.

Also, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my post-to-like ratio has dropped below 2. Can I has some pity likes? :( :( :( :cryi:
omg this worked out surprisingly well. YEEEEEHAWWWWW FANKS ERRYONE

omg this worked out surprisingly well. YEEEEEHAWWWWW FANKS ERRYONE
Err wouldn't more likes further decrease your ratio? A 1:1 ratio would mean for every post you got 1 like, and a 0.5 ratio means you get 2 likes per post!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So this is the moon rising on the East River (and on 1st or 2nd ave-lol). I posted this for everyone that's applying to an NYC school! Good luck!!

Reactions: 8 users
Err wouldn't more likes further decrease your ratio? A 1:1 ratio would mean for every post you got 1 like, and a 0.5 ratio means you get 2 likes per post!
Oh right yeah that didn't make any sense. I want to maximize my like-to-posts ratio. There we go

...This is the most touristy post I've ever seen -smh-
:laugh: I'm definitely not a tourist. I wasn't the only New Yorker taking pics of this.
Believe it or not, some of us actually enjoy the scenery here. Even if we've experienced it for years.

Guys I'm actually panicking right now :/. I know I have 3 interviews so far and am more than thankful for them but I am still in disbelief that they'll mean anything because my MCAT is 29 :( but both GPAs are 3.9x. I may be over thinking everything but who knows. Sorry for the mini panic here but I guess with my first interview next Friday, all of these thoughts are hitting me...

Guys I'm actually panicking right now :/. I know I have 3 interviews so far and am more than thankful for them but I am still in disbelief that they'll mean anything because my MCAT is 29 :( but both GPAs are 3.9x. I may be over thinking everything but who knows. Sorry for the mini panic here but I guess with my first interview next Friday, all of these thoughts are hitting me...
Do stats have less of an impact once offered an interview?
You need to act like you belong at these schools! Have faith in yourself!! You'll have better interviews if you're confident!!

Last edited:
Do stats have less of an impact once offered an interview?
You need to act like you belong at these schools! Have faith in yourself!! You'll have better interviews if you're confident!!
Thanks man. Yeah I have no problem with interviews and I've been told I'm quite good at them but that MCAT always lingers in my mind haha. Still gonna go in and do my best and see what comes out of it! I hate my neuroticism sometimes lol. I appreciate the support my dude!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks man. Yeah I have no problem with interviews and I've been told I'm quite good at them but that MCAT always lingers in my mind haha. Still gonna go in and do my best and see what comes out of it! I hate my neuroticism sometimes lol. I appreciate the support my dude!
We're all neurotic to a certain degree (at least I am-lol). Also, I think you have this backwards. You already have the interviews so you are currently in a position to put the MCAT aside (that obstacle has already been surmounted). Obviously, at least 3 schools believe that you're a high caliber candidate.

Reactions: 2 users

Good luck!!! I know it's hard to stop thinking about what personally perceived app deficiencies... When I was at NYU, I kept thinking, "oh my god I bet my MCAT score is at least 4 points lower than everyone else's oh god I didn't go to an Ivy for undergrad oh man"... Until I realized that fretting about my lack of qualification was on track to being a self fulfilling prophecy unless I cut it out and focused on being the strong candidate they obviously believed I was. So I put it out of my mind and became much happier and more confident! Easier said than done, I know, but I believe in you :) you're gonna rock these interviews! Leave the MCAT where it belongs -- behind you! More exciting things that speak greater volumes about your qualifications as a future physician lie ahead. So crush those and you'll be golden :)

Reactions: 6 users

@sunflower18, @Cyberdyne 101 and others have said all there is to say. I only have one video to show you and I hope you benefit from it. This speaker is so earnest, so identifiable, and her story is incredible. Good luck, hold your chin up, take deep breaths and you'll do amazing!

http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are?language=en

Totally agree with @Cyberdyne 101 and @sunflower18 here. Do NOT bring up any perceived weaknesses unless your interviewer specifically asks about them. Just be confident (but not arrogant) and show them you're a kind human being. I'm looking forward to both of my interviews tomorrow at UNC. My goal is not just to get through the interviews but to also try having a wonderful conversation or discussion with my interviewers. I wish everyone the best of luck this week!

Totally agree with @Cyberdyne 101 and @sunflower18 here. Do NOT bring up any perceived weaknesses unless your interviewer specifically asks about them. Just be confident (but not arrogant) and show them you're a kind human being. I'm looking forward to both of my interviews tomorrow at UNC. My goal is not just to get through the interviews but to also try having a wonderful conversation or discussion with my interviewers. I wish everyone the best of luck this week!

Good luck at UNC!!!! Is it still your top choice? I'm really excited for you! You're gonna be awesome!

Aaaaaalso I want to congratulate @No Limits on continued domination of this cycle! UCSF and University of Florida this week -- and it's only Tuesday! I want to be like No Limits when I grow up ;) So proud :)

Reactions: 6 users