Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Many congrats to @hellanutella for UCSD!! Very exciting!!! :)

Also, I've been meaning to ask -- @turayza, do you and your boyfriend have any interviews in common or in the same general area?

Thank you! I'm so excited to spend some time at @hoihaie 's alma mater!

@infinitessimal
October 21st! (Will I see you there as well as Vandy?). :D Good luck on your interviews! You're doing Columbia & Penn right now, correct?

Waiting for a time series to finish, so here's an interview photo dump. Warning: long post ahead.
image.jpeg

Ayres Hotel at UCI. So. Many. Tiny. Boats.
image (1).jpeg

UCI campus. The weather was so serene.
image (2).jpeg

Big 'ol meaty plate of nigiri sushi in NYC.
image (3).jpeg

Spying on folks at the Met. I spent a full day here because I'm such a museum dork.
image (4).jpeg

Sinai's Annenberg building. (The small glass pyramid to the left is the Guggenheim pavilion).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@hellanutella, I'm curious: your #1 choice on the east vs your #1 choice on the west
Who wins?

Oooof. Hard one. Let me see how I like the rest of my interviews and who accepts me. ;)

Personally, if I was lucky enough to be accepted to either of my NYC schools, I'd take off there in a heartbeat. Really feel like the city would be a good fit for my personality and I felt at home on both campuses. I was very frugal during UG, so I would not be opposed to picking a private/OOS school over a UC.

However, I think the biggest factor will be second look. I went to an UG that was personally not a good "fit" ...and it was a very long four years. The personality of the student body will be a huge deciding factor for me.

Do you want to move away from NYC, or would you like to stay?

Reactions: 1 user
Many congrats to @hellanutella for UCSD!! Very exciting!!! :)

Also, I've been meaning to ask -- @turayza, do you and your boyfriend have any interviews in common or in the same general area?
Wait, @turayza's a girl???????? ...I need to start paying more attention to everyone's genders........ :whoa:

Members don't see this ad :)
@hellanutella, I'm curious: your #1 choice on the east vs your #1 choice on the west
Who wins?
Edit:
This question also applies to anyone else that's applying to both coasts @infinitessimal @No Limits @sunflower18 @ProbablyAPenguin
@turayza (most likely I'm missing ppl)

Interesting question!! I haven't really delineated my top choices into regions before... I don't have ANY west coast interviews yet, so I guess my regions right now are midwest vs east coast. As of now, I have one top choice in the midwest and another on the east coast, and they are extremely different in ways other than region as well. I'm not quite sure what to make of that... I'll have a clearer answer after I have interviewed at both, but my gut tells me that the midwest school is where I'd most like to end up. Where I'm most LIKELY to end up? Different story :rofl: I love both of my top choices though and I would be so honoured to be accepted to either one. My guess is that I will not have the fortune of choosing between them.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! I'm so excited to spend some time at @hoihaie 's alma mater!

@infinitessimal
October 21st! (Will I see you there as well as Vandy?). :D Good luck on your interviews! You're doing Columbia & Penn right now, correct?

Waiting for a time series to finish, so here's an interview photo dump. Warning: long post ahead.
View attachment 185596
Ayres Hotel at UCI. So. Many. Tiny. Boats.
View attachment 185597
UCI campus. The weather was so serene.
View attachment 185598
Big 'ol meaty plate of nigiri sushi in NYC.
View attachment 185599
Spying on folks at the Met. I spent a full day here because I'm such a museum dork.
View attachment 185600
Sinai's Annenberg building. (The small glass pyramid to the left is the Guggenheim pavilion).

:D you're gonna love UCSD! Everyone is so chill. Definitely go checkout the beach too!!!

Oooof. Hard one. Let me see how I like the rest of my interviews and who accepts me. ;)

Personally, if I was lucky enough to be accepted to either of my NYC schools, I'd take off there in a heartbeat. Really feel like the city would be a good fit for my personality and I felt at home on both campuses. I was very frugal during UG, so I would not be opposed to picking a private/OOS school over a UC.

However, I think the biggest factor will be second look. I went to an UG that was personally not a good "fit" ...and it was a very long four years. The personality of the student body will be a huge deciding factor for me.

Do you want to move away from NYC, or would you like to stay?
I appreciate your response!
For obvious reasons (and more ...), my life in NYC has been far from splendid. And I often dream about med school on the west coast (hence my cameos in the Cali school specific threads :laugh:) Although, I am fully aware that (under better circumstances) this is one of the best places to live and attend med school. And it's great for me to come across ppl that would likely choose NYC over Cali because it gives me a fresher perspective (@sunflower18 is already aware of this paradox ;)).
In other words, I don't want to lose sight of the amazing places in my immediate area, and it helps that others are eager to come here.

Interesting question!! I haven't really delineated my top choices into regions before... I don't have ANY west coast interviews yet, so I guess my regions right now are midwest vs east coast. As of now, I have one top choice in the midwest and another on the east coast, and they are extremely different in ways other than region as well. I'm not quite sure what to make of that... I'll have a clearer answer after I have interviewed at both, but my gut tells me that the midwest school is where I'd most like to end up. Where I'm most LIKELY to end up? Different story :rofl: I love both of my top choices though and I would be so honoured to be accepted to either one. My guess is that I will not have the fortune of choosing between them.
I think you will have a choice between arctic weather and 1st ave (if I'm correct about the schools). And they are vastly different!

Reactions: 2 users
I think you will have a choice between arctic weather and 1st ave (if I'm correct about the schools). And they are vastly different!

Nailed it ;) I know, I'm perplexed as to how I can thoroughly love both! If I am so fortunate that I get to choose between them, I think I'll have to do some serious soul searching.

As to your previous post -- it's obvious but still interesting to me how the ideas of "familiar" and "fresh" can vary so much based on past experience. I'm really eager to go to a school filled with students who have diverse perspectives and who have lived very different lives, as I think a lot can be learned from those unique points of view.

I appreciate your response!
For obvious reasons (and more ...), my life in NYC has been far from splendid. And I often dream about med school on the west coast (hence my cameos in the Cali school specific threads :laugh:) Although, I am fully aware that (under better circumstances) this is one of the best places to live and attend med school. And it's great for me to come across ppl that would likely choose NYC over Cali because it gives me a fresher perspective (@sunflower18 is already aware of this paradox ;)).
In other words, I don't want to lose sight of the amazing places in my immediate area, and it helps that others are eager to come here.

Great to have the east coast perspective as well! We all want what we currently don't have. ;) What have been your biggest complaints about NYC thus far? (Aside from the insane COL)

Hopefully CA will give you some love when you apply! I must admit that it's a real sweet place to be... except when it comes to med school applications.

My choice will be easy to make - whoever accepts me lulz (although I'd love to attend UNC above all else)

I'm really looking forward to upcoming interviews as I think that'll help me form a better opinion of my top choices. I'm especially excited for Georgetown and Temple so far, but I also had great experiences at my state schools. And then there are plenty more schools I haven't heard from yet (trying to avoid choosing top choices there as it'll only be disappointing...but there's a certain wintry school I love ;) ) Anyway, I agree with Ace -- anywhere that takes me is my viewpoint now, and after that hopefully there will be options!

@sunflower18 when is Mayo for you? I'm so excited for your next batch of school recaps.

PS: @onceawolverine how did you like USC? (And what time will you be at UCSD?).

My choice will be easy to make - whoever accepts me lulz (although I'd love to attend UNC above all else)

Crossing my fingers for you! A pity they release decisions after the 15th. Good luck at Mizzou!

Annnnnddd..... more photos:
image (5).jpeg

Pitt's Cathedral of Learning!
image.jpeg

The old medical school building at UVA
image (1).jpeg

Early morning at USC (had to beat traffic). Sadly, no palm trees @Cyberdyne 101
image (2).jpeg

Gourmet doughnut run post 'SC interview (clockwise: s'more, thin mint, cinnamon-sugar cronut, and key lime pie).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@hellanutella Those donuts are making me so hungry! I also ran today and haven't eaten all day, so...lol.

The only picture I took was of the pylons at WVU.

image.jpg

@hellanutella your pictures are fantastic!!! I haven't taken very many :( Bad sunflower. MCW is tomorrow, Mayo is Monday! Penn State review being posted momentarily!

@hellanutella Those donuts are making me so hungry! I also ran today and haven't eaten all day, so...lol.

The only picture I took was of the pylons at WVU.

View attachment 185606

They were amazing! It's a custom doughnut shop, so you can select whatever toppings/fillings you want... a beautiful and dangerous thing.

To be fair, those are some pretty damn attractive pylons! Looks like a very handsome school.

@hellanutella your pictures are fantastic!!! I haven't taken very many :( Bad sunflower. MCW is tomorrow, Mayo is Monday! Penn State review being posted momentarily!

Sweet! Sending you tons of good vibes all though the rest of this week/next! Enjoy your time in the midwest. I'm looking forward to that review. ;)

@sunflower18 when is Mayo for you? I'm so excited for your next batch of school recaps.

PS: @onceawolverine how did you like USC? (And what time will you be at UCSD?).

Crossing my fingers for you! A pity they release decisions after the 15th. Good luck at Mizzou!

Annnnnddd..... more photos:
View attachment 185602
Pitt's Cathedral of Learning!
View attachment 185603
The old medical school building at UVA
View attachment 185604
Early morning at USC (had to beat traffic). Sadly, no palm trees @Cyberdyne 101
View attachment 185605
Gourmet doughnut run post 'SC interview (clockwise: s'more, thin mint, cinnamon-sugar cronut, and key lime pie).

Those look amazing!! Wow. And custom made?? Amazing! With everyone's travels we could start a rotating food and travel blog.

Edit: And best of luck sunflower!! I'm so excited for you and eagerly anticipating your summaries!

I still haven't been 'reinstated' at the school I mistakenly withdrew from. Called again today and they said they'd fix it. I'll check again tomorrow afternoon and call if it hasn't been done.

Great to have the east coast perspective as well! We all want what we currently don't have. What have been your biggest complaints about NYC thus far? (Aside from the insane COL)

Hopefully CA will give you some love when you apply! I must admit that it's a real sweet place to be... except when it comes to med school applications.
Honestly, I can't think of any complaints. Wait, if you really want a Haagen Dazs shop close by, you'll have to take Cornell
over Sinai ;). For a Ben & Jerry's you'd have to take the crosstown bus (closer to Sinai).

If you're at Cornell or NYU, you are separated from from the annoying congestion that ppl associate with Manhattan. And although some of Sinai's area may not be as nice, it's still on Central Park. The daily midtown insanity and public transportation crowds are not really relevant to the med school experience here (unless you decide to live far from campus). And strangely, the weather has been a lot better recently (in every season)!

Obviously, Columbia is a different case. But it seems that many of their students are eager to live and study in that area.

For some reason, I don't think you'll need any convincing to come here :laugh:
Although, I might have to give @sunflower18 a little push :D

Last edited:
Who wins?
Edit:
This question also applies to anyone else that's applying to both coasts @infinitessimal @No Limits @sunflower18 @ProbablyAPenguin
@turayza (most likely I'm missing ppl)

Ummmmm I didn't apply to many schools on the west coast, so Stanford def wins. Only applied to one Tx school, so Baylor def wins. However, for the east coast I'll go wherever they take me!

Wait, @turayza's a girl???????? ...I need to start paying more attention to everyone's genders........ :whoa:

IM A GIRL TOO!

^word

Reactions: 5 users
PS: [USER=624359]@onceawolverine how did you like USC? (And what time will you be at UCSD?).[/USER]

I really liked USC, although there were a few smaller things that concerned me ever so slightly. If I get an acceptance, I'll have to really use second look to try to tease out a few of my worries...

Right now I'm scheduled to interview at UCSD in the third week of October, but it might have to get pushed back :/

Last edited:

I really liked USC, although there were a few smaller things that concerned me ever so slightly. If I get an acceptance, I'll have to really use second look to try to tease out a few of my worries...

Right now I'm scheduled to interview at UCSD in the third week of October, but it might have to get pushed back :/

I have a feeling second look will prove essential for any acceptances that I get. While some people can get a good "feel" for a school on interview day, I have been unable to do so. I definitely need more time to scope out everything.

Pssssssttt.... if it's the 16th... get the 21st (though it is nice they give you the option to switch!)

I have a feeling second look will prove essential for any acceptances that I get. While some people can get a good "feel" for a school on interview day, I have been unable to do so. I definitely need more time to scope out everything.

Pssssssttt.... if it's the 16th... get the 21st (though it is nice they give you the option to switch!)
we VERY well might be meeting each other on the 21st

I still haven't been 'reinstated' at the school I mistakenly withdrew from. Called again today and they said they'd fix it. I'll check again tomorrow afternoon and call if it hasn't been done.
Unfortunately some places can be bureaucratic mazes. Hopefully it'll be fixed by this weekend.

YES. I've had the core one before! It was divine. The salted caramel core one is also fantastic.

Gelato is a lot like ice cream, only it has a denser, smoother texture. A lot of this varies by brand, too.
Talenti salted caramel is definitely one of my favourites. It's got little chocolate-caramel truffles in it. :love: Their double dark chocolate also has a dash of vermouth in it, so it has a really rich, luxurious taste.

Aside from having been locked up writing a nightmarish 45 page document (animal regulatory protocols, how much I hate writing you!!!) and working 54 hours since MONDAY I've overlooked this thread and seriously missed out :(

Bad sdn! BAAAD sdn! No alerts on this thread and I've missed so much! A very invigorating discussion on ice cream (I binge on cereal fyi... 6 bowls of Kix yesterday :D), top choice schools and the must-hear all-important question on interview day! @hellanutella someone asked the cadaver question at my Pitt interview too (the only interview I''ve attended so far)!! LOL

And those pictures of Pitt are delightful. Here's a couple I took...

I personally hope @sunflower18 gets another top choice right here at the heart of the midwest ;) We shall see how far I succeed! And I get to judge too because I'm interviewing at my home U on Monday ;) Gonna be interesting from this vantage

Attachments

• IMG_7575.jpg
    IMG_7575.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7576.jpg
    IMG_7576.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7580.jpg
    IMG_7580.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7589.jpg
    IMG_7589.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7592.jpg
    IMG_7592.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 40
I was trying to fight off the penguins, but they still found a way into my avatar.

Reactions: 4 users
Aside from having been locked up writing a nightmarish 45 page document (animal regulatory protocols, how much I hate writing you!!!) and working 54 hours since MONDAY I've overlooked this thread and seriously missed out :(

Bad sdn! BAAAD sdn! No alerts on this thread and I've missed so much! A very invigorating discussion on ice cream (I binge on cereal fyi... 6 bowls of Kix yesterday :D), top choice schools and the must-hear all-important question on interview day! @hellanutella someone asked the cadaver question at my Pitt interview too (the only interview I''ve attended so far)!! LOL

And those pictures of Pitt are delightful. Here's a couple I took...

I personally hope @sunflower18 gets another top choice right here at the heart of the midwest ;) We shall see how far I succeed! And I get to judge too because I'm interviewing at my home U on Monday ;) Gonna be interesting from this vantage

Ah, your downtown shots are wonderful! Love all the random little sculptures scattered throughout Pittsburgh. It's a really pleasant city to wander about.

From one fellow cereal binger to another (cereal of choice: Trader Joe's Joe-Os with cocoa powder stirred into the milk), good luck! :luck: The midwest must be proud to call you their own!

Nooo he sucks at applying and is still working on the last few secondaries :mad: but we have UW in common. What an exciting romantic 20 minute drive we will have to the interview LOL

@hellanutella omg sashimi...looks so good... and donuts....:hungry:

@Cyberdyne 101 Ooh picking a school on each coast is tough. I think west coast I'd have to go with UW...in-state tuition kind of trumps everything. And it has a great program of course. East coast--I realized after last week that NYC is definitely not the city for me (heheh I feel like the only one!!) and I'd be hard-pressed to choose a school in NYC. Lovedddd OSU (midwest) so perhaps OSU for now? Haven't gotten to see any of the Chicago schools yet but after NYC I feel iffy about big cities :confused: Also haven't seen Vandy!!

Nooo he sucks at applying and is still working on the last few secondaries :mad: but we have UW in common. What an exciting romantic 20 minute drive we will have to the interview LOL

@Cyberdyne 101 Ooh picking a school on each coast is tough. I think west coast I'd have to go with UW...in-state tuition kind of trumps everything. And it has a great program of course. East coast--I realized after last week that NYC is definitely not the city for me (heheh I feel like the only one!!) and I'd be hard-pressed to choose a school in NYC. Lovedddd OSU (midwest) so perhaps OSU for now? Haven't gotten to see any of the Chicago schools yet but after NYC I feel iffy about big cities :confused: Also haven't seen Vandy!!
You're not the only one who doesn't like big cities! I grew up in a small town my whole life.

Speaking of significant others during the application process... does anybody have experience sharing an interview date with their SO? UVM assigned me the same day as my boyfriend... somewhat nervous since I do not want to be unprofessional, but I also do not want to ignore him during the day haha. Traveling together will be fun though!

Honestly, I'd personally have wanted a different day but it is what it is.

I just spent a really long time reading all of these and you all are so wonderful! I want in. :) Good luck everyone!

I have very similar apprehensions turayza! But I hope my perspective broadens because the way I see it based on my interviews so far, I'm staying home or going BIG! Hahaha
But Pittsburgh is a VERY nice balance so I'm actually not too worried.

Btw what didn't you like about NYC? I am curious because I was born there but don't remember anything. I'm really excited to visit though at the end of next month!

And LOL about the very exciting 20 minute drive... that was so cute but hilarious! :love:

I just spent a really long time reading all of these and you all are so wonderful! I want in. :) Good luck everyone!

Welcome fingers-crossed!!! We certainly are a rowdy but warm bunch over here... think of us as being the crazy fun distant cousins you never met over the holidays :D

May I entice you to join team Spongebob by any chance? ;) What about if I give you a Krabby Patty??? With extra kelp?

This appears to be the year of the Penguin but @10Acious , @gettheleadout (our undeclared leader) and I shall remain tenacious

Last edited:
Speaking of significant others during the application process... does anybody have experience sharing an interview date with their SO? UVM assigned me the same day as my boyfriend... somewhat nervous since I do not want to be unprofessional, but I also do not want to ignore him during the day haha. Traveling together will be fun though!

Awww that's so cute!!! And Vermont is gorgeous! :) I can't offer any insight unfortunately but maybe this could be the time to try out the "meet-each-other-for-the-first-time-again" scenario?

And you guys coming from the same school and the same state? TOTAL coincidence.

I've got this figured out, my friend ;)

Awww that's so cute!!! And Vermont is gorgeous! :) I can't offer any insight unfortunately but maybe this could be the time to try out the "meet-each-other-for-the-first-time-again" scenario?

And you guys coming from the same school and the same state? TOTAL coincidence.

I've got this figured out, my friend ;)

We are coming from the same school and we are both doing research at NIH currently. He is from CA and I am a VA resident. Burlington and UVM COM are quite reminiscent of our undergrad so it will be an interesting experience for both of us.

And thanks! I think it could work out well as long as I don't act too friendly to him :)

I go to undergrad with my girlfriend but she has one more year left after this. I'd say she is definitely UVA's strongest advocate ;)

We are coming from the same school and we are both doing research at NIH currently. He is from CA and I am a VA resident. Burlington and UVM COM are quite reminiscent of our undergrad so it will be an interesting experience for both of us.

And thanks! I think it could work out well as long as I don't act too friendly to him :)

Oh, I am sure it will! Good luck!

On another note, if folks don't figure out by the end of the interview that you all are dating they'd think your stars are aligned :biglove:I'm a hopeless romantic if you can't tell already, but I promise I'll shut up now :)

Last edited:
Welcome fingers-crossed!!! We certainly are a rowdy but warm bunch over here... think of us as being the crazy fun distant cousins you never met over the holidays :D

May I entice you to join team Spongebob by any chance? ;) What about if I give you a Krabby Patty??? With extra kelp?

This appears to be the year of the Penguin but @10Acious , @gettheleadout (our undeclared leader) and I shall remain tenacious

I've never met the cousins I haven't met yet before... I love you guys already! I hope at the end of this we all can have a "We got in!" Holiday!

I can't ditch the penguins now, they've already served me well! I changed my avatar and two days later got an II from my top school (my only II so far)! Turning on them now would be ungrateful and blasphemous. Sponge Bob is a good option, but there's no arguing with the results! ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Oh, I am sure it will! Good luck!

On another note, if folks don't figure out by the end of the interview that you all dating they'd think your stars are aligned :biglove:I'm a hopeless romantic if you can't tell already, but I promise I'll shut up now :)

Aww, you are absolutely fine! I appreciate your input since it helped (and made me a little giddy). It'd be nice to attend medical school together since the alternative would not be a good outcome!

I've never met the cousins I haven't met yet before... I love you guys already! I hope at the end of this we all can have a "We got in!" Holiday!

I can't ditch the penguins now, they've already served me well! I changed my avatar and two days later got an II from my top school (my only II so far)! Turning on them now would be ungrateful and blasphemous. Sponge Bob is a good option, but there's no arguing with the results! ;)

No arguing with those results! Congratulations!!!

There'll be plenty more chances to nab you and make you one of us ;) *cough cough*

I JUST CHANGED MY AVATAR TO THE CUTEST PENGUIN I COULD FIND. Hopping on the bandwagon and hoping for an II soon! :D