Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've never met the cousins I haven't met yet before... I love you guys already! I hope at the end of this we all can have a "We got in!" Holiday!

I can't ditch the penguins now, they've already served me well! I changed my avatar and two days later got an II from my top school (my only II so far)! Turning on them now would be ungrateful and blasphemous. Sponge Bob is a good option, but there's no arguing with the results! ;)

No arguing with those results! Congratulations!!!

There'll be plenty more chances to nab you and make you one of us ;) *cough cough*

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I JUST CHANGED MY AVATAR TO THE CUTEST PENGUIN I COULD FIND. Hopping on the bandwagon and hoping for an II soon! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's as cute as a panda! Good luck :)
pandas1_682_1382265a.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
No arguing with those results! Congratulations!!!

There'll be plenty more chances to nab you and make you one of us ;) *cough cough*

Hahaha I also have really decided I like penguins, and that's a lot of sponge bob I would have to watch if I want to justify switching avatars!

Also Thank you so much! I was very surprised!

I JUST CHANGED MY AVATAR TO THE CUTEST PENGUIN I COULD FIND. Hopping on the bandwagon and hoping for an II soon! :D

GOOD LUCK! I have so much hope for you! The penguin is adorable! You've got this :)

Haha there's a whole thread about it somewhere! Welcome to the penguins!

Reactions: 2 users
I have very similar apprehensions turayza! But I hope my perspective broadens because the way I see it based on my interviews so far, I'm staying home or going BIG! Hahaha
But Pittsburgh is a VERY nice balance so I'm actually not too worried.

Btw what didn't you like about NYC? I am curious because I was born there but don't remember anything. I'm really excited to visit though at the end of next month!

And LOL about the very exciting 20 minute drive... that was so cute but hilarious! :love:

NYC was really overwhelming for me...so many cars/people/noises/smells (especially the smells! ah) and no open spaces. Well, all the open spaces were artificially made and concrete/steel/glass. It really bothered me to look around 360* and see nothing but more people/buildings/cars. Even central park was meh...it was just a park. A really big park with a lot of people and scratchy unfriendly grass. The locals I talked to made it sound like the wilderness, but puh-lease--I'm from the pacific northwest, we have a monopoly on wilderness. I felt pretty trapped and claustrophobic on just my second day there. When I asked a current student if he ever felt trapped there, the reply was "no, it's really easy to take a subway into downtown." I just had a derp expression on when I realized that he "escaped" the city by going into more city :unsure:

Reactions: 4 users
NYC was really overwhelming for me...so many cars/people/noises/smells (especially the smells! ah) and no open spaces. Well, all the open spaces were artificially made and concrete/steel/glass. It really bothered me to look around 360* and see nothing but more people/buildings/cars. Even central park was meh...it was just a park. A really big park with a lot of people and scratchy unfriendly grass. The locals I talked to made it sound like the wilderness, but puh-lease--I'm from the pacific northwest, we have a monopoly on wilderness. I felt pretty trapped and claustrophobic on just my second day there. When I asked a current student if he ever felt trapped there, the reply was "no, it's really easy to take a subway into downtown." I just had a derp expression on when I realized that he "escaped" the city by going into more city :unsure:

I hope you applied to UVM.

LOL!!! This entire post made me laugh but I think I can scarily relate to my experience in downtown SF! But let's see--actual judgement day is interview day--and some very friendly folks here (@Cyberdyne101) helped reassure me about Cornell's area which I've read is nice.

My favorite part about your post was about the "wilderness" that locals think Central Park is (y'all do have monopoly on that!)--and then the part of how the students escape the city by going into more city--howling here! But I totally understand you, sister! LOL

Reactions: 1 users
LOL!!! This entire post made me laugh but I think I can scarily relate to my experience in downtown SF! But let's see--actual judgement day is interview day--and some very friendly folks here (@Cyberdyne101) helped reassure me about Cornell's area which I've read is nice.

My favorite part about your post was about the "wilderness" that locals think Central Park is (y'all do have monopoly on that!)--and then the part of how the students escape the city by going into more city--howling here! But I totally understand you, sister! LOL

Seriously, that post had me laughing like crazy, especially the last part about the med student! I had an opportunity to live in a large city with a fantastic metro system, and the freedom and adventures I had there were unrivaled. I think I would thrive in a large city like NYC so I hope I get a chance to interview there/similar places! On one hand I love the outdoors and you can't beat steep cliffs, the ocean, and massive hiking trails. But, the food and massive cultural scene in the big cities is a major pull -- I'm always regretting not being able to see various performances, adventure through a pedestrian friendly city, and eat my way through hundreds of unique restaurants and cafés! I love the pace!

Good luck with your interview -- let us know how the city treats you!!

Just sent you a pm.
Yes, this place can drive you insane and ppl add fuel to the fire with responses like that.
Fwiw, I have gone months at a time without confronting the claustrophobia here. You can find quieter routes and areas. For example, I avoid taking the train home from work and school so that I can wind down with a more peaceful bus ride and walk. And as I mentioned earlier, the daily train commute is really not part of med school life here.
But, you're entitled to be as comfortable as possible with your surroundings. And I'm thrilled that you have had II's in other areas!

I see that OHSU invite @sunflower18 ;) Hope Portland gives you lots of love.

It'll be nice to have an interview you won't have to fly to!

Ahahaha, love your description! I think city-living (as well as rural living) is an acquired taste. That's why it's nice to have such a variety of medical schools.

Open spaces and small towns make me feel eerily isolated. There's a lot of comfort in being a part of a close-knit community, but I prefer the anonymity that big cities provide. I can seek out company if I want or just blend into the crowd. As much as I enjoy my privacy/personal space, I've grown up in cramped little apartments and would go utterly bananas if I ever lived in a decent-sized house. I guess it's all what you're used to.

Not a fan of suburbs, either. I went to a suburban high school in the heart of LA's entertainment industry. It was a big town, but oppressively small on the social scale... everyone knew everyone's business. So many (moderately famous and/or failed) child actors. -___- Naturally, there was a lot drama.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ahahaha, love your description! I think city-living (as well as rural living) is an acquired taste. That's why it's nice to have such a variety of medical schools.

Open spaces and small towns make me feel eerily isolated. There's a lot of comfort in being a part of a close-knit community, but I prefer the anonymity that big cities provide. I can seek out company if I want or just blend into the crowd. As much as I enjoy my privacy/personal space, I've grown up in cramped little apartments and would go utterly bananas if I ever lived in a decent-sized house. I guess it's all what you're used to.

Not a fan of suburbs, either. I went to a suburban high school in the heart of LA's entertainment industry. It was a big town, but oppressively small on the social scale... everyone knew everyone's business. So many (moderately famous and/or failed) child actors. -___- Naturally, there was a lot drama.

i knew it! you are a famous child actress!

Yay, they 'un-withdrew' me from NYU!

I hope it didn't mess up my spot in line though.

First rejection today, but it was totally expected because it was the highest reach on my list (only added it because it's a dream school and I couldn't NOT apply), such is life.

un-withdrew you...? what happened in the first palce?

I hit the withdraw button by mistake and there was no confirmation pop-up. The text just turned red and told me I had withdrawn.

That was a fun phone call.

It went like:

"Hi, I've withdrawn and I didn't want to!
-So?
No, I mean I withdrew by mistake!
-Okay.
Can I please un-withdraw?
-Uhh?
No, I actually pressed the withdraw button by mistake. I love your school. I don't want to withdraw!
-OH! I'll put down your information and have IT fix it tomorrow.
I think I might love you.
-What?
Nothing. Thanks! BYE!"

(Well, not really but...)

Last edited:

Acquired taste is a great way to put it. And hahaha I really enjoy going to the post office or the grocery store and meeting 2 other people I know. Can't escape anyone in a small town, that's for sure.

Your high school experience must have been.... interesting :blackeye:

First rejection today, but it was totally expected because it was the highest reach on my list (only added it because it's a dream school and I couldn't NOT apply), such is life.

I'm sorry!!! It's great that you were in the game so long though. They rejected me a mere 12 days after I submitted my secondary June 29, that stung... Keep your chin up and look forward to more II's! :luck:

I hit the withdraw button by mistake and there was no confirmation pop-up. The text just turned red and told me I had withdrawn.

That was a fun phone call.

It went like:

"Hi, I've withdrawn and I didn't want to!
-So?
No, I mean I withdrew by mistake!
-Okay.
Can I please un-withdraw?
-Uhh?
No, I actually pressed the withdraw button by mistake. I love your school. I don't want to withdraw!
-OH! I'll put down your information and have IT fix it tomorrow.
I think I might love you.
-What?
Nothing. Thanks! BYE!"

(Well, not really but...)

LOL! Glad to hear it worked out in the end.

@hellanutella I was signed up for UCSD on the 16, but I just got an invite to Cornell (! (as I'm in the airport flying out of NYC)) for the same time, so I might reschedule SD to 21. How funny!

@Cyberdyne 101 in terms of east vs. west coast - although I'm from California, having gone to school in NYC for undergrad makes me associate much more with the east coast. I prefer having seasons, and I absolutely LOVE snow. East coast also has the "work hard, play hard" mentality that resonates with me more than the laid-back, "I barely lift a finger but am extremely successful" attitude of California. It's personal preference. So in terms of pure demographics, I choose the former. I might still go to a west coast school if other factors weigh out, of course.

And now, some photos from Penn and Columbia! I will post interview summaries on my page later, but in short, I thought both schools were great. Penn had a more structured and informative interview day, however. I can definitely see myself attending either school!

Perelman at Penn:

25z2pe8.jpg

Inpatient unit

2nibpqb.jpg

a3oarn.jpg

2nh4310.jpg

2pyw4kx.jpg

2s1omf7.jpg

Philly at night

Reactions: 6 users
@hellanutella I was signed up for UCSD on the 16, but I just got an invite to Cornell (! (as I'm in the airport flying out of NYC)) for the same time, so I might reschedule SD to 21. How funny!

@Cyberdyne 101 in terms of east vs. west coast - although I'm from California, having gone to school in NYC for undergrad makes me associate much more with the east coast. I prefer having seasons, and I absolutely LOVE snow. East coast also has the "work hard, play hard" mentality that resonates with me more than the laid-back, "I barely lift a finger but am extremely successful" attitude of California. It's personal preference. So in terms of pure demographics, I choose the former. I might still go to a west coast school if other factors weigh out, of course.

And now, some photos from Penn and Columbia! I will post interview summaries on my page later, but in short, I thought both schools were great. Penn had a more structured and informative interview day, however. I can definitely see myself attending either school!

Perelman at Penn:

25z2pe8.jpg

Inpatient unit

2nibpqb.jpg

a3oarn.jpg

2nh4310.jpg

2pyw4kx.jpg

2s1omf7.jpg

Philly at night
You just made me super excited for Jefferson!

I visited the place that Tolkien based Rivendell off of.... It was pretty awesome haha. It's in Switzerland!

Thanks @hellanutella! It will definitely be nice to not have to get on a plane for that one :)

I could do a split, but you'd have to promise to take me to the ER right after.

Reactions: 8 users
I AM GOING TO ROCHESTER TOMORROW. I SHOULD SLEEP BUT I AM TOO EXCITED. AHHHHHH!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Reactions: 11 users
Welcome fingers-crossed!!! We certainly are a rowdy but warm bunch over here... think of us as being the crazy fun distant cousins you never met over the holidays :D

May I entice you to join team Spongebob by any chance? ;) What about if I give you a Krabby Patty??? With extra kelp?

This appears to be the year of the Penguin but @10Acious , @gettheleadout (our undeclared leader) and I shall remain tenacious

LOL As part of the recruitment, allow me to also extend to you an official interview invite to Spongebob Academy. Don't worry, you cannot "bomb" this interview; you also cannot withdraw. On interview day, @researchismymiddlename will give you a tour and @gettheleadout will lead spongebob trivia-based MMI. Then, you will be allowed 3 string pulls to the magic conch to determine your admission.

tumblr_lqyfhiQBK31qaqps8o1_500.gif

"Magic conch, can (your name here) join our Spongebob club?"

<string pull>

Conch: ".... yes"

Lastly for those of you looking for dual-degree programs may be excited that we offer several joint-degree programs including: MD/BM (Masters in Boating) with the Puff Boating School, MD/DC (Doctor of Clarinetting) with the Squidward Institute of Music, MD/MPP (Masters in Penny-pinching) at the Krabs Business School (located in Krusty Krab, table 10. Look for the official paper sign. Non-refundable $100,000 dollar one-time tuition fee).
--------------------

@researchismymiddlename and I are lost in application process.

"Magic conch, what shall we do to get interview invite to our dream schools?"

Conch: "...Nothing"

Sits down to do nothing. Then:

tumblr_lj3s8gxPd41qgcyhl.gif

Did someone ask for an interview invite?... LIKE THIS?!

tumblr_lj3lswaMrr1qgcyhl.jpg

At least that's what keeps our hopes alive in my head.

Reactions: 9 users
So I need to schedule an interview at a school due to an exam. However, the school's website says absolutely no interviews will be rescheduled unless your flight gets cancelled your you have ebola. What should I do? It's a good school, not in my personal top 10, but def a really good school. And there is zero way around the exam.

So I need to schedule an interview at a school due to an exam. However, the school's website says absolutely no interviews will be rescheduled unless your flight gets cancelled your you have ebola. What should I do? It's a good school, not in my personal top 10, but def a really good school. And there is zero way around the exam.

have you asked the admin office in person yet? maybe they'll understand your predicament

:eek::eek::eek:
LOL As part of the recruitment, allow me to also extend to you an official interview invite to Spongebob Academy. Don't worry, you cannot "bomb" this interview; you also cannot withdraw. On interview day, @researchismymiddlename will give you a tour and @gettheleadout will lead spongebob trivia-based MMI. Then, you will be allowed 3 string pulls to the magic conch to determine your admission.

tumblr_lqyfhiQBK31qaqps8o1_500.gif

"Magic conch, can (your name here) join our Spongebob club?"

<string pull>

Conch: ".... yes"

Lastly for those of you looking for dual-degree programs may be excited that we offer several joint-degree programs including: MD/BM (Masters in Boating) with the Puff Boating School, MD/DC (Doctor of Clarinetting) with the Squidward Institute of Music, MD/MPP (Masters in Penny-pinching) at the Krabs Business School (located in Krusty Krab, table 10. Look for the official paper sign. Non-refundable $100,000 dollar one-time tuition fee).
--------------------

@researchismymiddlename and I are lost in application process.

"Magic conch, what shall we do to get interview invite to our dream schools?"

Conch: "...Nothing"

Sits down to do nothing. Then:

tumblr_lj3s8gxPd41qgcyhl.gif

Did someone ask for an interview invite?... LIKE THIS?!

tumblr_lj3lswaMrr1qgcyhl.jpg

At least that's what keeps our hopes alive in my head.

LOL!!!! What an awesome & funny post! I loved that episode, and so I laughed as I read every aspect of your creative post. Mr. Krabs is my all time favorite hahahahaha, "official" paper sign and MPP were very creative. Mr. Krabs could probably also accurately represent student loan collectors :D

"I'm Mr. Krabs, and I love money..."

Do nothing and get loads of II's. That sounds great. But @10Acious... I didn't do "nothing"! I sent in update letters :eek: Would disobeying the verdict of the magic conch drive me into despair? Let's hope not! :lol:

Hahaha "Willing to do splits for penguin status."
:eek::eek::eek:

LOL!!!! What an awesome & funny post! I loved that episode, and so I laughed as I read every aspect of your creative post. Mr. Krabs is my all time favorite hahahahaha, "official" paper sign and MPP were very creative. Mr. Krabs could probably also accurately represent student loan collectors :D

"I'm Mr. Krabs, and I love money..."

Do nothing and get loads of II's. That sounds great. But @10Acious... I didn't do "nothing"! I sent in update letters :eek: Would disobeying the verdict of the magic conch drive me into despair? Let's hope not! :lol:
@10Acious & @researchismymiddlename You all are cracking me up! I feel like I want to find middle ground between the sponges and the penguins. Maybe I'll just watch some spongebob and see where it goes?

I definitely agree that it has to do with the environment you come from...I was thinking about it some more, and I realized that most of the buildings I see in my daily life have have yards--front yards, back yards, and a few meters of side yards. Obviously this doesn't happen in the inner city, but there is a strong sense of open space/privacy that I definitely take for granted.

@Cyberdyne 101 I'm definitely going to give NYC a second chance haha. Med school is an excellent time to experience a different environment and be pushed out of comfort zones!

I would go talk to the professor. I know a lot of people last year had to take exams early. Any chance the professor would move the date for you and you could take it in his office/in a testing center/with TA supervision?

It might also help if you break the plane. Broken plane=instant cancelled flight. Possible jail time though. Risky business.

I would go talk to the professor. I know a lot of people last year had to take exams early. Any chance the professor would move the date for you and you could take it in his office/in a testing center/with TA supervision?

It might also help if you break the plane. Broken plane=instant cancelled flight. Possible jail time though. Risky business.

Breaking the plane sounds much harder than getting ebola. I recommend getting ebola--then you might not have to take your exam either!

Breaking the plane sounds much harder than getting ebola. I recommend getting ebola--then you might not have to take your exam either!
Ebola is much harder to shake then the court system though. Ebola knows no laws or statute of limitations. That 90% fatality rate is much scarier than relocating to a third world country and lying low. You can learn about anything if you really dedicate yourself! Even breaking planes in really obvious ways to prevent flights. There's probably a video on Youtube.

I would rather none of you break any planes or contract Ebola. Last time I checked, prison and death weren't more fun or enriching than going to med school. -_____-

Just exploring some options. Hahaha. But in that case @ProbablyAPenguin should call the Admissions Office or meet with the professor.
Haha y'all are the best.

Thanks for all the advice - I think I'll go with breaking the plane! :)

My conundrum is that due to other (more important) interviews that week (which I had already rescheduled), it is impossible for me to move the test... and I don't want to reschedule an interview at a school twice!

I think I will call / email/ communicate with the school of the interview I can't attend, and if they say no... well... I won't go to that interview.

Haha y'all are the best.

Thanks for all the advice - I think I'll go with breaking the plane! :)

My conundrum is that due to other (more important) interviews that week (which I had already rescheduled), it is impossible for me to move the test... and I don't want to reschedule an interview at a school twice!

I think I will call / email/ communicate with the school of the interview I can't attend, and if they say no... well... I won't go to that interview.
I would go with ebola. I alternate between that and meningitis every finals period to get extensions

So I went through every secondary website for my schools to check my status (so bored guyzzzz). Upon revisiting Mizzou's secondary website, I noticed I had made an error in my diversity essay - I didn't replace a different school's name with "University of Missouri-Columbia." :eek: Curse my copy/paste mentality.

It's actually quite funny because I still ended up getting an II from Mizzou anyway...so they either didn't care when they caught that mistake or they were like, "Meh, applicants are human."