Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You may not need the extra year. You should only get an MPH or do a year of research because it's what you actually want.
Edit: I hit the reply button too early :confused: I have some more to say.

I think the extra year is useful if you're looking to match into a top academic program (ie Wash U, Iowa, HSS, Vanderbilt etc). And as you already mentioned, UNC's curriculum may already give you the opportunities to do research, public health work, etc in 4 years. Obviously, you gotta rock step 1, regardless of the path you take. I guess I would rather have more time in the first 2 years for step 1 and use the time that follows for research, another degree, etc. But that's just me. I would most likely take 5 years regardless of the specialty I choose.

You should check out the medical school forums on orthogate. http://www.orthogate.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=21
That's where I get a lot of my info. Ppl on that site have advocated for the "extra year." But others have done really well without it. And again, a 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum may give you the necessary flexibility.
Obviously, it's best to talk to ppl in the ortho department early on in med school.

I'm sure you'll do well!!
Thanks again! It would be absolutely amazing to do ortho residency at Wash U, but I'd have to be extremely lucky (and have done lots of productive research) for that to happen. I hope the ortho faculty at UNC (or wherever I end up going) are receptive to me showing interest from day 1.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm great! Sorry I've been absent. With the exception of flight delays I've really been enjoying the interview trail; I'd only ever been to one of the cities in which I've received an interview, so I feel like I'm becoming a little more worldly if nothing else haha. On that note though I'm really happy with how all my interviews have gone so far. I can say more about my experience (I got sick on one interview trip lol) but I'm actually about to board another plane...

No divine intervention on my side. ;) Just an honest assessment of my application's strengths and weaknesses, and my interests in where I want to potentially go.

GTLO!! You're like my sdn hero lol I remember studying for my cat the first round for April 27th with you and entadus and the peanut guy haha good sdners. Good times! Actually bad times I was studying for my mcat lol glad to see that everything is going well with you. Have you interviewed at bcm yet?

Sorry guys. This may seem unneurotic (if that's a word) and dumb but what happens on October 15 lol
First day that acceptances (or other decisions) can be sent out. May vary by school.

Hey guys! Congrats to everyone in this thread, you're all inspirations! Seriously, it's amazing to hear about all your successes and I'm so happy for everyone!

Silly question over here: I have 2 interviews this weekend back to back (technically, I'll need to wear my suit three days in a row: once for A&M, once for UTSW clinical rounds, and then again for the UTSW interview).

What do you suggest I do with my suit? I obviously won't have time to dryclean, so should I just iron it at the end of each day? As someone who's never ironed anything before in his life, I'm actually worried I'll ruin my suit haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Congrats to everyone in this thread, you're all inspirations! Seriously, it's amazing to hear about all your successes and I'm so happy for everyone!

Silly question over here: I have 2 interviews this weekend back to back (technically, I'll need to wear my suit three days in a row: once for A&M, once for UTSW clinical rounds, and then again for the UTSW interview).

What do you suggest I do with my suit? I obviously won't have time to dryclean, so should I just iron it at the end of each day? As someone who's never ironed anything before in his life, I'm actually worried I'll ruin my suit haha.
Get a steamer!! Much easier to use and less of a hassle than using an iron! I had 2 interviews this past weekend and it literally made life easier haha. Rowenta usually has some good ones.

Reactions: 2 users
A public health background is extraordinarily useful for orthopedic surgery. A lot ortho surgeons are proactive in educating their communities about musculoskeletal injuries/pathologies (many of which are preventable). For example, I want to get involved in preventing ACL injuries in female athletes. Women are more prone to suffer from ACL tears for various reasons: 1) They are more likely to be at an anatomical disadvantage; a valgus knee anatomy is more prevalent in females and this puts the ACL at a greater risk for rupture. 2) They usually have stronger quads than males. As a result, they have tendency to land with their knees straight, which puts the ACL in a more vulnerable position. (It's safer to land with your knees bent when jumping). 3) There might also be a hormonal factor. It appears that the production of the hormone relaxin (which occurs during menstruation?), causes ligament laxity. By recognizing these risks, you can educate female athletes, parents, coaches etc about prevention methods. Even with these biomechanical and anatomical disadvantages, a person can learn how to land properly when they jump, pivot correctly when appropriate, and develop better muscle balance (i.e. by strengthening the hamstrings). Some are even experimenting with recombinant relaxin+estrogen. So yeah, as an ortho surgeon you can head down to your local school, sports league, etc and educate ppl about this stuff! You can also work to influence policy by incorporating ACL prevention classes in PE. I would even go as far as requiring coaches to obtain a certification! Obviously, a public health background can be very useful for implementing such policy!

There's also the clinical epidemiology approach, which involves gathering clinical data to determine optimal treatment plans for current and future patients. A lot of ortho academic centers collaborate on these projects (i.e. treatment for rotator cuff disease in older adults, the efficacy of hip resurfacing vs total hip replacement etc). I believe that this is more of an MS (in clinical epidemiology) pathway, but there seems to be some overlap. I realize this is long :oops: Obviously, I love ortho! :laugh:

Anyway, I feel that UNC is ideal for all of this because it puts a huge emphasis on public health! I just used those other places as examples. And it was more about their ortho departments (not their med schools). Rush and Mayo have actually advertised these research positions on SDN and Orthogate for med students in general (not just from their respective schools). In conclusion :laugh:, your strengths (academic aptitude, altruism, work ethic, and commitment to improving outcomes) make you ideal for ortho ;)

@Cyberdyne 101, you've got a career waiting for you!!! I've said this before but I'm impressed by your vision and practical attitude!

Get a steamer!! Much easier to use and less of a hassle than using an iron! I had 2 interviews this past weekend and it literally made life easier haha. Rowenta usually has some good ones.

I might have to get one too, I have a buttery-fabric black suit that shows wrinkles more easily than a regular fabric suit. Dry cleaning gets so expensive, and after travelling the suit is wrinkled anyways! Let's see if my budget can allow for a steamer :S

Members don't see this ad :)
Just overheard people hanging out in the common room talking about a friend's interview trail. Apparently he's already interviewed at Mayo, Cornell, Chicago, Baylor, Harvard, and Yale. Penn upcoming on Monday. Sometimes just can't deal with the high proportion of closet gunners I go to school with. I thought this guy had like a 3.4 GPA or something lol

I have a travel steamer too!!! Definite lifesaver :)

Class thread on the 2nd page? Unacceptable!!!!!

:spam:

My travel steamer declaration really killed conversation :(

Another five hour delay ~*~*woooooooooooo*~*~ and then I should finally be in Nashville!

1. Missed connecting flight due to delay at O'Hare and got stuck in Detroit
2. Got new connecting flight, with extra stop in Atlanta
3. Flight into Atlanta was delayed, causing me to miss my final connecting flight
4. Angrily spent $15 on overpriced airport food... got a most disappointing sandwich
5. So close, but so far. Currently waiting for next flight, which will mercifully be nonstop.

But hey, I'll get there eventually! This is what I get for having (mostly) seamless flights for the past few years.

Hope everyone has had smooth travels!

Reactions: 3 users
Another five hour delay ~*~*woooooooooooo*~*~ and then I should finally be in Nashville!

3. Flight into Atlanta was delayed, causing me to miss my final connecting flight
4. Angrily spent $15 on overpriced airport food... got a most disappointing sandwich
5. So close, but so far. Currently waiting for next flight, which will mercifully be nonstop.

But hey, I'll get there eventually! This is what I get for having (mostly) seamless flights for the past few years.

Ahhh I'm so sorry!!!! I'm glad you'll finally make it though :)

Oh no! I am sorry to hear this! On a sidenote, I think you will be interviewing with my SO...I think he's just currently chilling at the airport. In the meantime, I will be praying to the flight gods that the rest of your travels go smoothly :)

And of course, I'm requesting Nashville pics!!!
Good luck!!!:luck::luck::luck::luck:

I'll post pics of Philly once I sleep a little. Including a cheesesteak ;) When I suggest taking a red eye the same day as a test. Please. Someone reach through the computer and slap me. It was an awful idea. :laugh:

@hellanutella that is awful luck. Which means you have good luck coming from Vandy to compensate!

So I looked up the med student who's mock interviewing me later tonight and she's kinda hot.

Actually, she's pretty much smokin'. Maybe this won't be just an interview.... :D

So I looked up the med student who's mock interviewing me later tonight and she's kinda hot.

Actually, she's pretty much smokin'. Maybe this won't be just an interview.... :D
-____- lol

You still need to treat it as a normal (mock) interview. What if your real interviewer one day is also smokin' hot? Practice keeping professional composure...now.

-____- lol

You still need to treat it as a normal (mock) interview. What if your real interviewer one day is also smokin' hot? Practice keeping professional composure...now.
Yes, mother, I know that. Just thought the thread could use some silly comic relief amidst all the stressful IIs, lack thereof, and even rejections :scared:

2-Weeks.jpg

So does this reflect the actual interview process? :laugh:
(I think that's how it's done in Mars :p).

Last edited:
@claduva94 -- I wanna see your Philadelphia pictures!! :)

@hellanutella -- I just read your Northwestern review... Man. It sounds amazing. I wish I had applied there!!! Not that I would have had a chance... But it sounds like such a great program. I'm so excited for all of us, that we're getting to tour and visit some truly amazing medical facilities :) There are so many fantastic institutions in this country. We're all gonna end up at wonderful places and get unique and awesome educational experiences. That's a great realization :)

Reactions: 4 users
edit: photos exploded.

...ok screw it gotta debug my computer. photos to come later
such a nice melty deep dish pizza to share

I'll post pics of Philly once I sleep a little. Including a cheesesteak ;) When I suggest taking a red eye the same day as a test. Please. Someone reach through the computer and slap me. It was an awful idea. :laugh:

@hellanutella that is awful luck. Which means you have good luck coming from Vandy to compensate!
Please for the love of god don't go to Pat's or Gino's. If you can make it to Tony Luke's that'll be the best mainstream cheesesteak you'll find. In philly, food trucks often serve the best food. (Unless you're talkin' super classy like Ruth's Chris; where you likely would buy a steak rather than a cheesesteak...)

edit: photos exploded.

...ok screw it gotta debug my computer. photos to come later
such a nice melty deep dish pizza to share
I could definitely use some deep dish pizza at this very moment!

Earlier today, I had my 4th beer of the year. I average about 6, so I have to drink 2 more before 2015 :cool: Anyway, the beer was $6!!! $7 if you include the dollar tip!! And the bartender looked at me as if I should have given him more!
Ah, the wonders of this magnificent metropolis. I hope some of you will have similar complaints a year or so from now ;)

Please for the love of god don't go to Pat's or Gino's. If you can make it to Tony Luke's that'll be the best mainstream cheesesteak you'll find. In philly, food trucks often serve the best food. (Unless you're talkin' super classy like Ruth's Chris; where you likely would buy a steak rather than a cheesesteak...)
I went to none of the above because I couldn't find a big name one. I could get lost in a phone booth so I settled with some pizza place. Definitely not the best I could have gone for but it wasn't too shabby!

Last edited:
I went to none of the above because I couldn't find a big name one. I could get lost in a phone booth so I settled with some pizza place. Definitely not the best I could have gone for but it wasn't too shabby!
I've visited Philly a few times and the pizzeria cheese steaks definitely did the job! It's all about the grease!! :laugh:

This is my first Friday in sixish weeks that I'm not at an interview..... Whoa. I'm gonna spend my Friday night sleeping and watching parks & rec and playing mario kart AND IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

Reactions: 11 users
This is my first Friday in sixish weeks that I'm not at an interview..... Whoa. I'm gonna spend my Friday night sleeping and watching parks & rec and playing mario kart AND IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!
Lol, same, except it's my first Friday in 2 weeks ahaha. Have 1 more interview left on the 13th lmaoo and it'll be my 4th. I'm not sure how you guys do these 30420382049 interviews in the span of a month haha, mad props.

Lol, same, except it's my first Friday in 2 weeks ahaha. Have 1 more interview left on the 13th lmaoo and it'll be my 4th. I'm not sure how you guys do these 30420382049 interviews in the span of a month haha, mad props.

4 interviews is a fantastic number!! You have great chances of getting in with those odds :)

I did 1 at the very end of August, 6 in September, and 1 on the first day of October. So really, 8 within a month and three days. Aaaand I'm exhausted haha. But it was an awesome experience!

4 interviews is a fantastic number!! You have great chances of getting in with those odds :)

I did 1 at the very end of August, 6 in September, and 1 on the first day of October. So really, 8 within a month and three days. Aaaand I'm exhausted haha. But it was an awesome experience!
Thank you! And that's awesome, I'm sure it was a wonderful experience. It will all be worth it!!

I'm at seven interviews and getting kind of burnt out! I miss seeing my friends, I'm tired of performing sub par in my classes, and I'm doubting if I'll even get into medical school at this point :(

I'm doubting if I'll even get into medical school at this point :(

With 20 interviews, according to your MDApps? I guess that proves that no amount of interviews is enough to be cured of this feeling.

My Penguin friend, you have nothing to worry about.

I'm at seven interviews and getting kind of burnt out! I miss seeing my friends, I'm tired of performing sub par in my classes, and I'm doubting if I'll even get into medical school at this point :(
I feel the same exact way (with 9 under my belt), but at least I only have 4 more to go. The end is in sight, and I literally cannot wait to be able to attend class regularly again. Which is the last thing I thought I'd ever say, but there you have it. But, as a few others have said, dispel your fears of not getting into medical school. You absolutely will.

I'm so happy for all of you guys and your interview trails all across the country :happy:! I can totally see how it would be so exhausting! :sleep:

I'm still sitting at 1 interview so far (scheduled for December) but it looks like a lot of the schools I applied to are starting to get around to my complete dates so I'm crossing my fingers that my November/December/January will be just as busy with travelling as August/September has been for all of you!

I can't wait for Oct 15th simply because I can't wait to see where you all get in!!! I'm so excited for you guys! :soexcited:

Aaaand you'll break the cycle next week on Friday ;) No rest for the wicked :D

You all have done so much travelling, I sympathize but am super excited for you all!!!

My last week of October may be a doozy... 3 interviews in a span of 8 days, we'll see how I take it! :whistle:

I feel the same exact way (with 9 under my belt), but at least I only have 4 more to go. The end is in sight, and I literally cannot wait to be able to attend class regularly again. Which is the last thing I thought I'd ever say, but there you have it. But, as a few others have said, dispel your fears of not getting into medical school. You absolutely will.

Hey hey we're tied!!! I've done 8, 5 more left. I am definitely in the exact same boat... Cannot cannot wait to get back into a schedule of normalcy, though I'm beyond grateful for the good fortune and adventures I've had. I'm just tired of travel, tired of spending days trying to make people like me/believe in me/judge me favourably, tired of being completely socially isolated from home, tired of the insecurities. Im not sure if anyone else is in the same boat, but I didn't quite anticipate the emotional exhaustion of this cycle. It exposes all sorts of vulnerabilities, that's for sure! But I think I'll emerge as a stronger person for having these experiences, which is ultimately positive :)

@ProbablyAPenguin, I completely relate to your worries but let me assure you that you are a freaking rockstar, and you will ABSOLUTELY get into a fabulous school this year. No doubt in my mind. I get that it's sometimes hard to escape the persistent doubts and fears and self-criticism, -- goodness knows I struggle with it on a daily basis. But just know that we all believe in you, and are proud of everything you've accomplished. :)

It's normal to feel worn out by this grueling and exhausting process, but you'll be very pleased with the end result!!