Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awwww... y'all are my favorite people ever :) So kind

Though fo realz - I'm totes not a rock star. Like I've said before, if any of you meet me in real life you'll just be confused by what a derp I am :)

I second claduva94! :D All the other folks are right, you are a rockstar and a humble one! Those are the best :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry, but the title of biggest derp definitely goes to me lulz.

The hardest part for me this cycle has been playing the waiting game. Not knowing whether to prepare for reapplication also sucks.

Those of you still in college need to enjoy your last year! While I don't miss the academic work I had to do, I miss my friends and being able to hang out constantly. Even though I still live near Wash U, I can't see my undergrad friends on a regular basis due to my work schedule and theirs.

I'm hoping that my next interview on the 15th goes well. I also really hope to hear back from the other 3 schools about acceptances (or at the very least, waitlists).

How many of y'all know for sure that you'll hear back on the 15th? ECU and UNC might not have a decision ready for me until November if their average time of 8 weeks post-interview holds true.

Reactions: 1 users

The hardest part for me this cycle has been playing the waiting game. Not knowing whether to prepare for reapplication also sucks.

Those of you still in college need to enjoy your last year! While I don't miss the academic work I had to do, I miss my friends and being able to hang out constantly. Even though I still live near Wash U, I can't see my undergrad friends on a regular basis due to my work schedule and theirs.

I'm hoping that my next interview on the 15th goes well. I also really hope to hear back from the other 3 schools about acceptances (or at the very least, waitlists).

How many of y'all know for sure that you'll hear back on the 15th? ECU and UNC might not have a decision ready for me until November if their average time of 8 weeks post-interview holds true.
I was told I will hear from two schools at least. The rest is just speculation. I could hear from up to 5. But one is a top choice so I'm excited! I really hope you get in to UNC. You definitely deserve it!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
jean-mikemayhew.jpg

I wish I could telepathically prevent you all from thinking about rejections, more application cycles, etc. You will all be happy medical students next year!

Hey guyzes I need some advice!

So upenn sent me an email saying to apply but it's October :/ should I? I didn't apply cause my mcat score is one off of the 10th percentile of mcAt scores. What do Yall think ???

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guyzes I need some advice!

So upenn sent me an email saying to apply but it's October :/ should I? I didn't apply cause my mcat score is one off of the 10th percentile of mcAt scores. What do Yall think ???
Why not?! Penn's median MCAT is like a 50. A lot of great applicants are around their 10th percentile. n=1, but I know a Perelman grad who barely broke 30 on his MCAT and he's doing really well right now.

No news this week. I guess there's still time till 5 PM. Hah!

Edit: Got too paranoid lol.

Last edited:

Your stats are solid and you've got clinical EC's. I am so sure you will not have to reapply. The humility on you guys in this forum is awesome! ;)

I think I will hear back from my home school on the 15th, we'll see for sure though since I interviewed there only 3 weeks prior. My first interview at Pitt doesn't let me know until the end of Jan what the result is. The other three interviews I have are in the end of October. So Oct 15 won't be too exciting for me :p

i'll hear back from UCSD on the 15th too :X

Reactions: 6 users
I could hear back from 5 :O and then I'm hearing from a 6th on the 17th :O I'm gonna be neurotic like no other in 10 days....

Ahhhh I've missed so much! Will go back through the posts later, but I just got to say you are going to be perfectly fine @ProbablyAPenguin!

Minor photo spam:
image.jpg

The amazing spinach and pineapple deep dish I got with @turayza, who is super awesome.
image.jpg

The people I'm staying with in Nashville had an impromptu whiskey and moonshine tasting party. The South is growing on me. And white peach moonshine is delish.
image.jpg

Winner for most perplexing art fixture: naked bebes cavorting on a double helix. Discuss.

Anyways, just had to pop in and say that Vandy was super dreamy. I can't get over how friendly everyone is in Nashville!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ahhhh I've missed so much! Will go back through the posts later, but I just got to say you are going to be perfectly fine @ProbablyAPenguin!

Minor photo spam:
View attachment 185950
The amazing spinach and pineapple deep dish I got with @turayza, who is super awesome.
View attachment 185951
The people I'm staying with in Nashville had an impromptu whiskey and moonshine tasting party. The South is growing on me. And white peach moonshine is delish.
View attachment 185952
Winner for most perplexing art fixture: naked bebes cavorting on a double helix. Discuss.

Anyways, just had to pop in and say that Vandy was super dreamy. I can't get over how friendly everyone is in Nashville!
You can tell it's a geek gathering by the critical care medicine journal that's hiding behind the liquor :laugh:

Last edited:
I'm so glad you had a good trip @hellanutella!!!! :)

Thank you! Glad you had a relaxing Friday off! Where are you off to next?
Oh, and I think we're all dying to hear about your time at OHSU!

You can tell it's a geek gathering by the critical care medicine journal that's hiding behind the liquor :laugh:

You know it. ;) Too much moonshine and you may have to implement some critical care.

Last edited:
@hellanutella, glad to hear you liked Nashville. Looking forward to reading your impressions of Vandy. Will be heading there soon myself in a couple of days!

@hellanutella, glad to hear you liked Nashville. Looking forward to reading your impressions of Vandy. Will be heading there soon myself in a couple of days!

You're going to love it! The students and staff were astoundingly friendly, much like I found at UVA, and the presentations regarding curriculum 2.0 had me sold.

I see you've been very, very busy on the interview trail! Have you been enjoying your travels?

I'm going to pound out that review during my flights tomorrow hahaha. More long layovers woohoooo.

Yayyy @hellanutella you're baaaack!!! That DNA structure is very... um, different ;)

On another note, maybe this is the rambling of a slightly caffeine-hyped kid at the stroke of midnight on a Friday, but do you all think it's too late to add a few more schools? I was thinking of adding UVA, VCU, Emory, Madison, Northwestern and Case Western... what do you all think? My stats not good enough for this late in the cycle since most of these schools are nonrolling?

I didn't add them at first because of my budget, but now that I'm getting to know some of these schools better I want to add them. As for others that I considered adding before (Case, NW, Emory) I've always wanted to explore these schools but my budget at the time didn't permit it. Man, I hate this feeling of regret and I wished I listened to my inner voice earlier!

Yayyy @hellanutella you're baaaack!!! That DNA structure is very... um, different ;)

On another note, maybe this is the rambling of a slightly caffeine-hyped kid at the stroke of midnight on a Friday, but do you all think it's too late to add a few more schools? I was thinking of adding UVA, VCU, Emory, Madison, Northwestern and Case Western... what do you all think? My stats not good enough for this late in the cycle since most of these schools are nonrolling?

I didn't add them at first because of my budget, but now that I'm getting to know some of these schools better I want to add them. As for others that I considered adding before (Case, NW, Emory) I've always wanted to explore these schools but my budget at the time didn't permit it. Man, I hate this feeling of regret and I wished I listened to my inner voice earlier!

Every few weeks I wish I had applied to Pitt, Northwestern, Columbia, UCSF....

Honestly I think it's too late at this point, at least for me. But if you have the money, it's worth a shot!

Every few weeks I wish I had applied to Pitt, Northwestern, Columbia, UCSF....

Honestly I think it's too late at this point, at least for me. But if you have the money, it's worth a shot!

Sigh, Pitt was a last minute addition for me on 06/03/14. I am so happy I did because the fit was undeniably there. But for you, I think you could definitely consider some of those schools since they are nonrolling! But you're already traveling so much to many wonderful places ;)

I suppose we win some and we lose some. Gotta make sacrifices. And there's always residency :( Oct 15 is just so close that I don't want to miss out :(

Last edited:
Sometimes I wish I had been one of those overachieving Wash U premeds who did everything so that I could apply to the top 20s like a bunch of you did.

Then I remember that the true purpose of college isn't to do the premed checkboxes and be a gunner-ish douche who only wants to attend a top 20.

Sometimes I wish I had been one of those overachieving Wash U premeds who did everything so that I could apply to the top 20s like a bunch of you did.

Then I remember that the true purpose of college isn't to do the premed checkboxes and be a gunner-ish douche who only wants to attend a top 20.

Exactly. It's all about the experiences and fit. I applied to a lot of in-my-zone schools that I realistically thought I could attend (UNC, Wake Forest, KY schools, Brown) but I haven't heard from some of these schools probably because the fit isn't there (Brown, UNC), I'm OOS (UNC), my graduation date issues (Wake Forest), or they assume I'm not taking them seriously enough (Louisville). Well, this was unexpected because I had a reason to apply to each of the schools on my list and legitimately would love to visit each one. Of course this isn't a guaranteed process in any way, so I feel I automatically have cut down on my already small list of schools. As a result, I suppose I would like to add more schools since I want more experiences exploring :D

Each of the schools I want to add to my list have a new set of reasons that I did not consider with enough weight when I was first applying. The dilemma is this: it's too early to assume rejections, but too late to be considered for II's for new applications... sigh. I might just bite the bullet and do it because I HATE regrets. Unless you all strongly disagree...

It is all pouring out today hahahaha

Last edited:
Exactly. It's all about the experiences and fit. I applied to a lot of in-my-zone schools that I realistically thought I could attend (UNC, Wake Forest, KY schools, Brown) but I haven't heart from some of these schools probably because the fit isn't there or they assume I'm not taking them seriously enough, when that is so not the case because I had a reason to apply to each of the schools on my list. As a result, I suppose I would like to add more schools since I want more experiences exploring :D

The dilemma is this: it's too early to assume rejections, but too late to be considered for II's for new applications... sigh. I might just bite the bullet and do it because I HATE regrets. Unless you all strongly disagree...

It is all pouring out today hahahaha
Personally, I wouldn't add any more schools at this late-game stage. I also wouldn't start planning any reapplication processes until I knew for sure that I'm 0/4 this round (0 acceptances out of 4 interviews). I know that for myself, I would need to move back to NC before next cycle started so I wouldn't lose NC residency. I would have to quit scribing and find something else to do for a year in NC since there aren't any scribe jobs where I live in NC. I'm really hoping I get 1/4 at least!!

There's a 98% chance that you'll get into UNC so it really doesn't matter. You can comfortably morph into an ortho gunner there and do perfectly well!
You won't regret the choices you made as a pre-med.

There's a 98% chance that you'll get into UNC so it really doesn't matter. You can comfortably morph into an ortho gunner there and do perfectly well!
You won't regret the the choices you made as a pre-med.
I don't wanna be a gunner! If I make kick-ass study guides for each topic, I want to share them with my classmates. I also want to explore other specialties before the summer between M1 and M2 when most students do research.

I think it'll be more than about the stats in your case. You're a very unique candidate. If you have the money, you should give it a shot!

I don't wanna be a gunner! If I make kick-ass study guides for each topic, I want to share them with my classmates. I also want to explore other specialties before the summer between M1 and M2 when most students do research.
I forgot to add the :p I was half-joking. For me gunning is more like, "I'm going to give it my all." (Obviously, the more common definition has a negative connotation). I'm sure you're a very collaborative person and that's a quality that ppl on orthogate often emphasize when giving each other tips. And of course, that applies to every specialty.

Is anyone here interested in neurosurgery?!!
Hell no, brah. I'm not smart enough for that. I also don't want to do a 7-8 year residency...or have butt-loads of malpractice costs...

Luckily, I don't think anyone on this thread is a gunner-ish douche, regardless of what tier schools they aspire to attend :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
Luckily, I don't think anyone on this thread is a gunner-ish douche, regardless of what tier schools they aspire to attend :thumbup:
I wasn't implying anything about anyone here. Sorry...I was just speaking from experience with these people at my school.

I wasn't implying anything about anyone here. Sorry...I was just speaking from experience with these people at my school.

No worries! I know that there are probably some applicants who are super competitive. I'm just glad that this thread is full of genuine people!!

@sunflower18 you still haven't told us about your state school! I was so close to applying there... really wish they were more kindly to OOS-ers (though I understand why their bias exists). It's practically impossible to crack the PNW, even as a Californian who likes rain. :(

@Ace Khalifa UNC better deliver. Got my fingers crossed for you!

@Cyberdyne 101 possibly? I never shadowed one, but after playing with the Da Vinci simulator, I'm starting to realize how much I might like some fiddly, uber-dexterous surgical subspeciality. Both my research and job relied on my dexterity, but I'll have to see how much I like that kind of stuff in actual medical practice. Keeping my options open at the moment, hence the large number of condensed preclinical schools on my list.

You're an aspiring orthopod, right?

@researchismymiddlename personally, I think you're golden. It seems there's still IIs to go around, but they're mostly going to June-Aug applicants. Schools may likely be shifting from processing new apps to re-reviewing older ones/making admissions decisions. :( But this is just a hunch, nothing more.

Got my first acceptance yesterday! Rowan SOM :):love::soexcited:. I want to thank you guys for all the support and easing of the nerves you have provided throughout the summer and still going strong. It really helped make a difference in my outlook on everything and I can't be more thankful for this thread. Now I can breathe a bit easier.

Reactions: 11 users
Got my first acceptance yesterday! Rowan SOM :):love::soexcited:. I want to thank you guys for all the support and easing of the nerves you have provided throughout the summer and still going strong. It really helped make a difference in my outlook on everything and I can't be more thankful for this thread. Now I can breathe a bit easier.
OHMYGOSH CONGRATS. GAHHHHHHHHHHHH:soexcited::hardy::hardy::hardy::highfive:Hopefully the first of many to come!

Schools send acceptances before October 15!?

Thank you :), I'm at a loss for words hahaha gahhhh

Reactions: 5 users
Yayyyyyyyy! :happy: CONGRATULATIONS! :highfive: I'm so happy for you!!!!!

@Ace Khalifa
You never know! You're definitely smart enough and if you're in academia, the hospital will cover the insurance costs. Also, private practice neurosurgeons make a good living, even with the high premiums.
Yeah, 7-8 years is a long time, but the ppl that choose this path seem to enjoy the journey.

@hellanutella, ortho is my favorite field at the moment, but I'm also quite captivated by neurosurgery! You already know that I'm very much into public health/epidemiology and neurosurgeons can play a major role in educating the public about brain injuries (ahem football), spine health, and other topics that fall under the neuro umbrella. I'm happy you've applied to schools with shorter pre-clerkship tracks! Obviously, research is absolutely necessary for this field and it's better to have a head start.

Speaking of head starts, what about you @researchismymiddlename?! There's plenty of oncology in neurosurgery! And neurosurgery programs love ppl with PhD's ;)

@demystifie, I'm thrilled that you're also interested in this field. And I actually embrace long journeys. I know, I'm strange :laugh:

Anyway, I found a backdoor to the Uncle Harvey site, which has been down for a while :confused:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140103041438/http://uncleharvey.com/index.php/forums/

It'd be great to have at least one neurosurgeon in this group ;)

@Sandmeezy CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! That's incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

@hellanutella OHSU was interesting. I'll post my review this weekend. There were things I liked and things that really didn't click for me. I'm struggling with a balance between honesty and a positive spin.

@Cyberdyne 101, I'm glad to have found a fellow neurosurgeon hopeful! I really love research, but mostly the practical kind that can be applied to develop neurosurgical interventions. What has interested you in neurosurgery, besides the long journey? And thanks for the Uncle Harvey link <3

@sunflower18 you still haven't told us about your state school! I was so close to applying there... really wish they were more kindly to OOS-ers (though I understand why their bias exists). It's practically impossible to crack the PNW, even as a Californian who likes rain. :(

@Ace Khalifa UNC better deliver. Got my fingers crossed for you!

@Cyberdyne 101 possibly? I never shadowed one, but after playing with the Da Vinci simulator, I'm starting to realize how much I might like some fiddly, uber-dexterous surgical subspeciality. Both my research and job relied on my dexterity, but I'll have to see how much I like that kind of stuff in actual medical practice. Keeping my options open at the moment, hence the large number of condensed preclinical schools on my list.

You're an aspiring orthopod, right?

@researchismymiddlename personally, I think you're golden. It seems there's still IIs to go around, but they're mostly going to June-Aug applicants. Schools may likely be shifting from processing new apps to re-reviewing older ones/making admissions decisions. :( But this is just a hunch, nothing more.

Thanks @hellanutella!! I don't think I'll apply just because it's late and budget has reared its ugly head again. I don't know what overcame me yesterday, I feel kinda silly now. It's October now after all and getting my car serviced today and spending ~300 dollars on it made me see the savings I have as not disposable :p Thanks for all the encouragement though! I think it was just the October jitters :D

OMG!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Now get a white coat and grab your seat :D I hope this is good news among many more to come!!!

@Ace Khalifa
You never know! You're definitely smart enough and if you're in academia, the hospital will cover the insurance costs. Also, private practice neurosurgeons make a good living, even with the high premiums.
Yeah, 7-8 years is a long time, but the ppl that choose this path seem to enjoy the journey.

@hellanutella, ortho is my favorite field at the moment, but I'm also quite captivated by neurosurgery! You already know that I'm very much into public health/epidemiology and neurosurgeons can play a major role in educating the public about brain injuries (ahem football), spine health, and other topics that fall under the neuro umbrella. I'm happy you've applied to schools with shorter pre-clerkship tracks! Obviously, research is absolutely necessary for this field and it's better to have a head start.

Speaking of head starts, what about you @researchismymiddlename?! There's plenty of oncology in neurosurgery! And neurosurgery programs love ppl with PhD's ;)

@demystifie, I'm thrilled that you're also interested in this field. And I actually embrace long journeys. I know, I'm strange :laugh:

Anyway, I found a backdoor to the Uncle Harvey site, which has been down for a while :confused:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140103041438/http://uncleharvey.com/index.php/forums/

It'd be great to have at least one neurosurgeon in this group ;)

Oh @Cyberdyne 101! Not for me :D The most surgery I'm comfortable with is in pediatric urology, any more than that and I don't know :D

Holy cow! That is fantastic news! :eek: Hope you take the rest of the cycle easy and treat yourself for all your hard work! You're still waiting to hear from some more schools, correct?

I think we're all itching to be in your shoes within a few weeks time. Live it up this night! :highfive:

Thanks @hellanutella!! I don't think I'll apply just because it's late and budget has reared its ugly head again. I don't know what overcame me yesterday, I feel kinda silly now. It's October now after all and getting my car serviced today and spending ~300 dollars on it made me see the savings I have as not disposable :p Thanks for all the encouragement though! I think it was just the October jitters :D

OMG!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Now get a white coat and grab your seat :D I hope this is good news among many more to come!!!

Oh @Cyberdyne 101! Not for me :D The most surgery I'm comfortable with is in pediatric urology, any more than that and I don't know :D
Holy cow! That is fantastic news! :eek: Hope you take the rest of the cycle easy and treat yourself for all your hard work! You're still waiting to hear from some more schools, correct?

I think we're all itching to be in your shoes within a few weeks time. Live it up this night! :highfive:
Thank you so much for all the love guys!!! Yeah I only applied to 11 schools (including DO) and received 4 IIs (3 MD and 1 DO) and silence from the rest so far. I won't hear back from RWJ and Penn State till like December-ish and I have my Drexel interview on the 13th haha. So I guess I can take it easy for now hahaha. Again, you guys all rock I know you're gonna kill this cycle.