Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my first acceptance yesterday! Rowan SOM :):love::soexcited:. I want to thank you guys for all the support and easing of the nerves you have provided throughout the summer and still going strong. It really helped make a difference in my outlook on everything and I can't be more thankful for this thread. Now I can breathe a bit easier.
Holy cow! That is fantastic news! :eek: Hope you take the rest of the cycle easy and treat yourself for all your hard work! You're still waiting to hear from some more schools, correct?

I think we're all itching to be in your shoes within a few weeks time. Live it up this night! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks @hellanutella!! I don't think I'll apply just because it's late and budget has reared its ugly head again. I don't know what overcame me yesterday, I feel kinda silly now. It's October now after all and getting my car serviced today and spending ~300 dollars on it made me see the savings I have as not disposable :p Thanks for all the encouragement though! I think it was just the October jitters :D

OMG!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Now get a white coat and grab your seat :D I hope this is good news among many more to come!!!

Oh @Cyberdyne 101! Not for me :D The most surgery I'm comfortable with is in pediatric urology, any more than that and I don't know :D
Holy cow! That is fantastic news! :eek: Hope you take the rest of the cycle easy and treat yourself for all your hard work! You're still waiting to hear from some more schools, correct?

I think we're all itching to be in your shoes within a few weeks time. Live it up this night! :highfive:
Thank you so much for all the love guys!!! Yeah I only applied to 11 schools (including DO) and received 4 IIs (3 MD and 1 DO) and silence from the rest so far. I won't hear back from RWJ and Penn State till like December-ish and I have my Drexel interview on the 13th haha. So I guess I can take it easy for now hahaha. Again, you guys all rock I know you're gonna kill this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
@Cyberdyne 101: I'm pretty sure I don't wanna go into academics. I'm not as passionate about teaching and research as I am for patient care. Ortho private practice would be a dream, tho!

@hellanutella: Thanks! I really want to hear good news. I would feel so awful if I got rejected and had to disappoint y'all.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Cyberdyne 101, I'm glad to have found a fellow neurosurgeon hopeful! I really love research, but mostly the practical kind that can be applied to develop neurosurgical interventions. What has interested you in neurosurgery, besides the long journey? And thanks for the Uncle Harvey link <3
I love that it's so immensely broad. Neurosurgeons train in surgical oncology, vascular surgery, orthopedic surgery, stereotactic radio surgery, trauma surgery, and more! The field also utilizes state of the art technology that's continuing to improve.

It's also great to be the go-to person when a patient presents a challenging case i.e. cancer, brain trauma, spine trauma, functional illness, etc. Even though many neurosurgical interventions are far from a magic bullet, I feel that it's very rewarding to simply make the effort in such difficult cases.

And of course, there's the public health side. We do very little to educate ppl about the dangers of brain injuries. We also need to do more to promote better spine health. As a neurosurgeon, you can work towards improving community awareness about these vital health issues.

Last edited:
@demystifie and @Cyberdyne 101 are you not worried about the grueling hours of neurosurgery?
The grueling hours apply more to the residency, where at times you'll work more than 90 hrs in a week. And that's definitely something that has to be throughly considered. Essentially, that's what a neurosurgery rotation is for. Also, a lot of residency programs have research years that give you a break from the heavy hours. As an attending, you can work ~60-65 hrs a week. It's still a lot, but not totally insane.

Right now, neurosurgery is just something that I enjoy reading about. And why not explore it? If anything, this exploration can provide an impetus to pursue other fields that deal with similar pathologies but that are less time consuming. Examples include neuro-oncology, physiatry, neurology, and orthopedic surgery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@Cyberdyne 101: I'm pretty sure I don't wanna go into academics. I'm not as passionate about teaching and research as I am for patient care. Ortho private practice would be a dream, tho!

@hellanutella: Thanks! I really want to hear good news. I would feel so awful if I got rejected and had to disappoint y'all.
It's better that I continue this here to avoid an unnecessary flame war, but anyway, UNC is top tier for what you want to do. It even meets the prestige criteria for the Wash U ortho program, which takes most of its residents from US News "top 25 schools."

Also, ppl on orthogate rave about the Carolinas Medical Center ortho residency.
http://www.carolinashealthcare.org/orthopedic-surgery-residency-program-medical-education

Last edited:
Right now, neurosurgery is just something that I enjoy reading about. And why not explore it? If anything, this exploration can provide an impetus to pursue other fields that deal with similar pathologies but that are less time consuming.

Any particularly good reads (books, blogs, etc) that you'd recommend? I've only recently started to consider neurosurgery -- maybe for 3-4 weeks now? The extra years of residency are really hard for me to readily sign up for b/c research is another career goal of mine that takes priority, but I'd be v. interested in reading more about it.

(Thanks for the UncleHarvey link, btw! Folks in the neurosurgery thread seemed to swear by it, and I was disappointed when I saw it was down.)

Any particularly good reads (books, blogs, etc) that you'd recommend? I've only recently started to consider neurosurgery -- maybe for 3-4 weeks now? The extra years of residency are really hard for me to readily sign up for b/c research is another career goal of mine that takes priority, but I'd be v. interested in reading more about it.

(Thanks for the UncleHarvey link, btw! Folks in the neurosurgery thread seemed to swear by it, and I was disappointed when I saw it was down.)
Youtube is very useful. Right now my stupid phone is not letting me post links. Neurosurgery departments often post vids about brain tumors, spine tumors, hydrocephalus, spine deformities, AVM's, etc on YouTube! And of course, the surgery clips are really cool!

I also browse through various residency programs to see how the actual training process is broken down. Some programs have 2 years of research embedded in the residency. It's also possible to do a fellowship during that time (I think). I'm curious about how ppl manage to complete these programs and it seems that the research years provide a break. Also, some rotations are obviously more rigorous than others. According to the Uncle Harvey site, certain programs are more resident friendly because they have more ancillary staff to do the scut work. This allows the residents to focus more on learning and operating. Some programs have an insane caseload and ppl wonder how residents actually survive (Pitt?!)

I've read articles from the Journal of Neurosurgery Spine a few times (well at least the free ones). I read a lot about orthopedic surgery so I'm relatively comfortable with spine content.

And strangely (or not), I've met a few ppl that have had neurological disorders such as AVM's, spinal cord tumors, hydrocephalus, brain tumors (malignant and benign) and they were willing to share their experiences with me.

Anyway, I'll send you some links when I get the chance!

It's been a nice 8 day break from flying (and 3 day break from interviewing), but in the air again I go! :) I'm headed to upstate NY this time. I hope I get to see some fall colours, if not on the ground than from the sky.

Anyone else flying to or from an interview today?

Reactions: 4 users
Also, I watched Frozen a few days ago so "Love Is An Open Door" or whatever it's called is firmly lodged in my head....

Reactions: 4 users
It's been a nice 8 day break from flying (and 3 day break from interviewing), but in the air again I go! :) I'm headed to upstate NY this time. I hope I get to see some fall colours, if not on the ground than from the sky.

Bussing to NYMC today! I am looking forward to your write-up on Albany though! And Frozen has too many catchy songs so I think they just rotated in my head for a week or two after watching it haha. So, good luck :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Bussing to NYMC today! I am looking forward to your write-up on Albany though! And Frozen has too many catchy songs so I think they just rotated in my head for a week or two after watching it haha. So, good luck :D

I can't wait to hear about NYMC!! I'll hopefully post my Albany and OHSU reviews on Tuesday :)

Ack, I had suspected that the Frozen soundtrack wasn't leaving my head anytime soon... Sounds like my fears have been confirmed!

I can't wait to hear about NYMC!! I'll hopefully post my Albany and OHSU reviews on Tuesday :)

Ack, I had suspected that the Frozen soundtrack wasn't leaving my head anytime soon... Sounds like my fears have been confirmed!

Yay! I will try to write a decent review on it. Usually, I try to write it when I get home, but by then I am almost asleep...hence the randomness.

And having the Frozen soundtrack stuck in your head isn't so bad. It is more appropriate than other songs... Just listen to the song on repeat until you can no longer stand it :D It worked for "Let it Go!"

Yay! I will try to write a decent review on it. Usually, I try to write it when I get home, but by then I am almost asleep...hence the randomness.

And having the Frozen soundtrack stuck in your head isn't so bad. It is more appropriate than other songs... Just listen to the song on repeat until you can no longer stand it :D It worked for "Let it Go!"

Yes I understand! It's tough to get them out right away.

I bought the song to do just that :D

Aaaaand let the delays begin!!! :p I'm on my plane but it's delayed.... This is becoming unfortunately common. Oh well. I have plenty of time to arrive in Albany :) as long as nothing's cancelled or I don't miss my connecting flight, I'm fine.

Boarding for Chi-town soon! ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Yes I understand! It's tough to get them out right away.

I bought the song to do just that :D

Aaaaand let the delays begin!!! :p I'm on my plane but it's delayed.... This is becoming unfortunately common. Oh well. I have plenty of time to arrive in Albany :) as long as nothing's cancelled or I don't miss my connecting flight, I'm fine.

Oh no! I hope the rest of your travels go smoothly!

So good to hear from you!!! I'm so glad that you're enjoying your visits. Not glad that you got sick though, ack :( but I definitely agree -- visiting new cities and experiencing new cultures is awesome. Virtually all my interviews are in new places too. It's really fun to get a new perspective and learn about life on a different coast.

Have a great flight! I'd love to hear more when you land and have a moment!! :)
Sorry to be responding to this so late haha, I feel swamped with other work when I'm not traveling and preoccupied when I am. I will say I had the pleasure of meeting @Amba, who is awesome, and I've met and will be meeting several other SDNer's soon; definitely the coolest part of interviewing. My mind is feeling a bit jumbled right now, so I'll just give a few random thoughts about my experience but if there's something specific you want to know just ask! Coming from a school that isn't prestigious, I've felt a big sense of awe at the places I've been. I'm not sure how your educational journey has played out throughout your life, but in my case at least, though I might have had dreams of attending big name places for college or medical school, it was always a sort of fantasy that now feels come to life. The people I have met at these schools are so inspiring, SDNers and lurkers and others alike. Being in their company would (will?:xf:) truly be awesome.
GTLO!! You're like my sdn hero lol I remember studying for my cat the first round for April 27th with you and entadus and the peanut guy haha good sdners. Good times! Actually bad times I was studying for my mcat lol glad to see that everything is going well with you. Have you interviewed at bcm yet?
Hey man! You flatter me haha, it's good to hear from you! And yep, I interviewed at BCM already, will you be there soon or did you go this past Friday?

Sorry to be responding to this so late haha, I feel swamped with other work when I'm not traveling and preoccupied when I am. I will say I had the pleasure of meeting @Amba, who is awesome, and I've met and will be meeting several other SDNer's soon; definitely the coolest part of interviewing. My mind is feeling a bit jumbled right now, so I'll just give a few random thoughts about my experience but if there's something specific you want to know just ask! Coming from a school that isn't prestigious, I've felt a big sense of awe at the places I've been. I'm not sure how your educational journey has played out throughout your life, but in my case at least, though I might have had dreams of attending big name places for college or medical school, it was always a sort of fantasy that now feels come to life. The people I have met at these schools are so inspiring, SDNers and lurkers and others alike. Being in their company would (will?:xf:) truly be awesome.

Hey man! You flatter me haha, it's good to hear from you! And yep, I interviewed at BCM already, will you be there soon or did you go this past Friday?

waitwaitwait people who interview at BCM should totes visit me. in the vague anonymous Houston area. We can get coffee at starbucks or something.

Naw not yet. My interview is on the 24th. Can't wait! How'd BCM go? I heard it's real laid back.

Good luck at all your interviews everyone! I'm bussing up to Albany now to hang out with @sunflower18 ! Then I can confirm to you guys that she is as great in person as she is on here! Really hoping I don't miss my bus from NYC to Albany...

Reactions: 7 users
Good luck at all your interviews everyone! I'm bussing up to Albany now to hang out with @sunflower18 ! Then I can confirm to you guys that she is as great in person as she is on here! Really hoping I don't miss my bus from NYC to Albany...
Omg I'm a perennial bus commuter and that route is absolutely the worst. I hate the interstate that goes up there ugh. Heard good things about the school, though, so have fun!

Omg I'm a perennial bus commuter and that route is absolutely the worst. I hate the interstate that goes up there ugh. Heard good things about the school, though, so have fun!
Haha thanks! I'm ok with the interstate as long as it gets me everywhere on time. My return trip is cutting it close!

Getting ready for my WVU interview this coming week! Only 10 days till we hear something guys! :D *excited*

The grueling hours apply more to the residency, where at times you'll work more than 90 hrs in a week. And that's definitely something that has to be throughly considered. Essentially, that's what a neurosurgery rotation is for. Also, a lot of residency programs have research years that give you a break from the heavy hours. As an attending, you can work ~60-65 hrs a week. It's still a lot, but not totally insane.

Right now, neurosurgery is just something that I enjoy reading about. And why not explore it? If anything, this exploration can provide an impetus to pursue other fields that deal with similar pathologies but that are less time consuming. Examples include neuro-oncology, physiatry, neurology, and orthopedic surgery.

I'm in the same position as @Cyberdyne 101 at this point -- just considering neurosurgery and hoping to get more of a feel for it during M3/4 clerkships. I have heard about the grueling work hours that go into a neurosurgery residency, but if it something I truly love I know it won't be an issue. It does make starting a family a bit more tricky, but it's possible. I am also very interested in neurology, so I look forward to further exploring both specialties as a med student. For all of the neurosurgery hopefuls out there, do you consider it important to attend a medical school that has a neurosurgery residency program? I've been thinking about that potentially factoring into my decision, if I am lucky enough to be choosing between schools! I guess if a med school doesn't have a neurosurgery residency program you could always do an external rotation at a teaching hospital that does have it...

Last edited:
Headed to SLU in a couple of minutes. First INTERVIEW!! Nervous and excited !!

Reactions: 7 users
I'm in the same position as @Cyberdyne 101 at this point -- just considering neurosurgery and hoping to get more of a feel for it during M3/4 clerkships. I have heard about the grueling work hours that go into a neurosurgery residency, but if it something I truly love I know it won't be an issue. It does make starting a family a bit more tricky, but it's possible. I am also very interested in neurology, so I look forward to further exploring both specialties as a med student. For all of the neurosurgery hopefuls out there, do you consider it important to attend a medical school that has a neurosurgery residency program? I've been thinking about that potentially factoring into my decision, if I am lucky enough to be choosing between schools! I guess if a med school doesn't have a neurosurgery residency program you could always to an external rotation at a teaching hospital that does have it...
I view the presence of a residency program as an important factor. It's great to have some type of guidance at your school. It might also be easier to get research projects early on if the school has a strong department.

I view the presence of a residency program as an important factor. It's great to have some type of guidance at your school. It might also be easier to get research projects early on if the school has a strong department.

Yeah, I've just started thinking about this as part of my decision. After browsing through some of the residency programs, it seems that med students from the residency program's med school seem to be favored, probably due to the connections they make with the department during med school.

Yeah, I've just started thinking about this as part of my decision. After browsing through some of the residency programs, it seems that med students from the residency program's med school seem to be favored, probably due to the connections they make with the department during med school.
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of inbreeding at some programs. Since neurosurgery is such a long commitment, a department might feel more comfortable choosing ppl that they know pretty well (i.e. from their own school). Also, you can pick up match patterns here and there in which School A often accepts residents from School B. On the other hand, if a school doesn't have a residency program, it might still have a good track record in terms of matching students into neurosurgery. All of this is definitely worth investigating.

Some photo spam from me too :)

Deep dish at Giordano's with @hellanutella , because more cheese is always better
IMG_20141001_175932-1.jpg

Loyola facilities are suuuuper pretty and nice. This atrium is the center of the med school/most classes are around it.
IMG_20141002_123451-2.jpg

And creepy Ronald for the children's hospital linked to Loyola :l Besides Ronald, the decorations are quite colorful and exciting--the chicken nugget chicken is inside too!
IMG_20141002_120708-1.jpg

Lobster burger sliders and truffle fries....mouth watering looking at the photos again haha
IMG_20141003_120749-1.jpg

Lurie Children's hospital (Feinberg) has flying whales and pretty...anemone statues.
IMG_20141003_112611-1.jpg
IMG_20141003_112649-1.jpg

Ok and the bean in Millenium Park is THE TRIPPIEST thing ever. Could totally get stuck in there forever
IMG_20141003_101226-1.jpg
IMG_20141003_101433-1.jpg
IMG_20141003_101524-1.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Some photo spam from me too :)

Deep dish at Giordano's with @hellanutella , because more cheese is always better
IMG_20141001_175932-1.jpg

Loyola facilities are suuuuper pretty and nice. This atrium is the center of the med school/most classes are around it.
IMG_20141002_123451-2.jpg

And creepy Ronald for the children's hospital linked to Loyola :l Besides Ronald, the decorations are quite colorful and exciting--the chicken nugget chicken is inside too!
IMG_20141002_120708-1.jpg

Lobster burger sliders and truffle fries....mouth watering looking at the photos again haha
IMG_20141003_120749-1.jpg

Lurie Children's hospital (Feinberg) has flying whales and pretty...anemone statues.
IMG_20141003_112611-1.jpg
IMG_20141003_112649-1.jpg

Ok and the bean in Millenium Park is THE TRIPPIEST thing ever. Underneath it dents inwards...if you went under while high, you'd never come out.
IMG_20141003_101226-1.jpg
IMG_20141003_101433-1.jpg.html
IMG_20141003_101524-1.jpg.html
Wow, those fries look really good!!
Edit: and so does everything else! :laugh:

@gettheleadout -- hey I just landed in Chicago!! :) and no problem about the delayed response. I completely understand your perspective... I went to a very small high school and a small non-prestigious college, so it has been surreal to visit places like Mayo and Brown, because I never actually thought it would be possible for me to end up in this position. It's very empowering!! I'm so grateful for my experiences, and it sounds like you feel the same way. I'm glad everything is going great for you!!

@claduva94 -- yesssss!!! It's gonna be awesome!!! Hopefully I don't disappoint :p

And thanks for luck from everyone else!

Reactions: 5 users
Someone should make a running list of where people met others and so we can have it down all in one place. It'd be good memories to look back upon for y'all

e.g.,
Chicago (MM/DD/YY): @-username & @-username

As things are added, keep copying and pasting the old post back and we'll have a good record!

Last edited:
Someone should make a running list of where people met others and so we can have it down all in one place. It'd be good memories to look back upon for y'all

e.g.,
Chicago (MM/DD/YY): @username & @username

As things are added, keep copying and pasting the old post back and we'll have a good record!
The only problem with this is that I'll never be on this list. :(

Loved your Vanderbilt review, @hellanutella!
tumblr_inline_mr6wd35O3D1qz4rgp.gif

Haha, thank you Cyberdyne! Long plane flights are good for writing long-ass school reviews. (On an vaguely related note, TSwift allegedly comes into the Vandy children's hospital and sings to patients).

Hope everyone has had an awesome weekend and safe travels to all those en route to interviews!

@turayza so glad you saw the Bean! The Millennium Park sculptures are so surreal. Definitely an enjoyable adventure.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha, thank you Cyberdyne! Long plane flights are good for writing long-ass school reviews. (On an vaguely related note, TSwift allegedly comes into the Vandy children's hospital and sings to patients).

Hope everyone has had an awesome weekend and safe travels to all those en route to interviews!

@turayza so glad you saw the Bean! The Millennium Park sculptures are so surreal. Definitely an enjoyable adventure.
taylor-swift-2.png

Wow! Btw, does Vanderbilt give you flexibility in the 3rd year to schedule Step 1? I believe Duke does. Thanks again for taking the time to write those detailed reviews. And this applies to everyone here that shares their experiences!!

taylor-swift-2.png

Wow! Btw, does Vanderbilt give you flexibility in the 3rd year to schedule Step 1? I believe Duke does. Thanks again for taking the time to write those detailed reviews. And this applies to everyone here that shares their experiences!!
I believe you take step at the beginning of third year, but due to the number of 3rd year vacation/research blocks you can make your step prep time as long or short as you please. Just a matter of the order in which you schedule things, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd confirm with a current student.

No problem! I have to do this for my own sake, otherwise I wouldn't remember all the little details.

I believe you take step at the beginning of third year, but due to the number of 3rd year vacation/research blocks you can make your step prep time as long or short as you please. Just a matter of the order in which you schedule things, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd confirm with a current student.

No problem! I have to do this for my own sake, otherwise I wouldn't remember all the little details.

I believe most people take them at the beginning of the year (Read: the vast majority) but theoretically you can take them whenever. (that's what the dean guy said when I asked him... he said there were multiple options to take it) This actually hasn't been tested in practice, though, because the first year of true curriculum 2.0 students hasn't reached third year yet? Possibly?

I believe most people take them at the beginning of the year (Read: the vast majority) but theoretically you can take them whenever. (that's what the dean guy said when I asked him... he said there were multiple options to take it) This actually hasn't been tested in practice, though, because the first year of true curriculum 2.0 students hasn't reached third year yet? Possibly?
Thank
Taylor-Swift-pointing.jpg

Ms. Penguin!
(sorry, I can't get enough of her :D :laugh:)

Thank
View attachment 185995
Ms. Penguin!
(sorry, I can't get enough of her :D :laugh:)
haha no problem! great picture :) but also like I've said on the school specific thread, Vanderbilt isn't exactly consistent with the information they give out. Still - errbody there seemed so flexible with life, I don't think it will be an issue!

To add to this Vandy conversation, I had an amazing time as well! Aside from meeting the lovely @hellanutella and the extremely friendly population of Nashville, I was pretty sold on the school and the curriculum. I posted my summary in the 'apps (I will get around to writing about Columbia, eventually), but here are some photos:

288ayy8.jpg

View from my hotel room

t0t1nd.jpg

From a show I saw one of the nights

11k8idg.jpg

Country livin'

azdzis.jpg

Walking through the medical school campus

awz2ua.jpg

Vanderbilt hospital

2ltj50g.jpg

Vandy undergrad (absolutely stunning)