Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally home. I have a week off and then I'm back doing the whole interview adventure thing. While I miss travelling, it does feel good to see my puppies. :love:

Now that things are starting to wind down, the prospect of October 15th is actually making me feel kind of queasy. I know I'll hear back from 2 schools on the 15th, one on the 16th, but the rest are either non-rolling or have nebulous release dates... :scared: Currently, Sinai is the one freaking me out the most. I absolutely adored the school and it's easily one of my top post-interview picks, but I have no idea when in October I should hear back. ~aaaaahhhhhh~ This is a good problem to have, but I'm still biting my nails in anticipation. :nailbiting:

Is it just me or did they change the interview feedback page? It is so hard to read now!
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/wvu-som/survey/35#survey-result

EGAD. WHERE ARE MY PRECIOUS BAR GRAPHS AND PIE CHARTS? :( I don't like this new layout either.

PS: Super super jelly I could not be there to meet @claduva94 and @sunflower18. Hope everyone's travel hiccups smooth out!

Treat yo self is my life motto. Nothing like the thrill of post-payday splurge shopping.

post-16845-Love-Love-fades-away-Tom-Haver-BGsM.gif

post-16845-Things-are-forever--Tom-Haverf-UBOf.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Finally home. I have a week off and then I'm back doing the whole interview adventure thing. While I miss travelling, it does feel good to see my puppies. :love:

Now that things are starting to wind down, the prospect of October 15th is actually making me feel kind of queasy. I know I'll hear back from 2 schools on the 15th, one on the 16th, but the rest are either non-rolling or have nebulous release dates... :scared: Currently, Sinai is the one freaking me out the most. I absolutely adored the school and it's easily one of my top post-interview picks, but I have no idea when in October I should hear back. ~aaaaahhhhhh~ This is a good problem to have, but I'm still biting my nails in anticipation. :nailbiting:

EGAD. WHERE ARE MY PRECIOUS BAR GRAPHS AND PIE CHARTS? :( I don't like this new layout either.

PS: Super super jelly I could not be there to meet @claduva94 and @sunflower18. Hope everyone's travel hiccups smooth out!

Treat yo self is my life motto. Nothing like the thrill of post-payday splurge shopping.

So exciting! I'm sure you'll do great!

I also am not a fan of the new layout. WHY SDN? MEDICINE DOES NOT LIKE CHANGE.

Hopefully you get into UVA and I can meet you at second look :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

As a student of policy and econ, I lol'ed

I have every confidence that you will get into many many schools (with scholarships in tow!) :) It's nervewracking to not know when you're going to get those acceptance calls though, I'm sure. That's tough! Is there any chance it'll be next week?

I wish I could meet you too!! Come to Iowa in a few days? Or Vermont next week? :D

Also, I've been bingewatching Parks & Rec for the past three weeks or so, so I'm loving the gifs today!

Reactions: 4 users
I have every confidence that you will get into many many schools (with scholarships in tow!) :) It's nervewracking to not know when you're going to get those acceptance calls though, I'm sure. That's tough! Is there any chance it'll be next week?

I wish I could meet you too!! Come to Iowa in a few days? Or Vermont next week? :D

Also, I've been bingewatching Parks & Rec for the past three weeks or so, so I'm loving the gifs today!
YES. JOIN US IN VERMONT AT THE BEN AND JERRY'S FACTORY

Reactions: 3 users

YES
I was eating my ice cream today (the same one I bought like last week, I promise) and casually looked at it and noticed it said "Vermonts Finest" and then freaked out because I have a whole free day in Vermont coming up! FACTORY TOUR

Reactions: 5 users

Gosh, I wish. If the 16th brings good news, you can bet I'll be there. I'm seriously about to draft a petition for UVA to extend you an II. How the heck have they glossed over you thus far? Injustice, I tell you. :(

I'm there. :eek: Ahhhhhhh I've always wanted to go on the factory tour! I've heard they also have a flavour graveyard with mock tombstones for all their retired flavours.... and free samples at the end of the tour itself.

If you're there during the changing of the leaves, I demand lots of photos. Even if the leaves are all withered by the time you get there, I still demand photos.

Gosh, I wish. If the 16th brings good news, you can bet I'll be there. I'm seriously about to draft a petition for UVA to extend you an II. How the heck have they glossed over you thus far? Injustice, I tell you. :(

I'm there. :eek: Ahhhhhhh I've always wanted to go on the factory tour! I've heard they also have a flavour graveyard with mock tombstones for all their retired flavours.... and free samples at the end of the tour itself.

If you're there during the changing of the leaves, I demand lots of photos. Even if the leaves are all withered by the time you get there, I still demand photos.
Aww thank you :) I walked past the interview group this morning. So sad. But I can't have everything! :) I imagine I have a pretty good shot of interviewing once the last minute cancellations start coming in since I'm a mere 5 minute walk away from the admissions office!

According to @sunflower18 it will be at its peak when we are there! But I am skeptical since the leaves are already changing here...but I will be sure to get you pictures of the leaves and all of the delicious ice cream :)

Aww thank you :) I walked past the interview group this morning. So sad. But I can't have everything! :) I imagine I have a pretty good shot of interviewing once the last minute cancellations start coming in since I'm a mere 5 minute walk away from the admissions office!

According to @sunflower18 it will be at its peak when we are there! But I am skeptical since the leaves are already changing here...but I will be sure to get you pictures of the leaves and all of the delicious ice cream :)

Hey, don't rain on my parade :p I want to believe it will be beautiful when we go!!!!

Also omg I didn't know all that about the tour @hellanutella..... That sounds like magic

@claduva94, have you tried inception?
inception.jpg

In their dreams, you'll present yourself as an award winning physician! And the II will soon follow!
(I ain't gonna lie, I wish I can actually use this strategy for Cali schools when I apply :laugh:).

Forgive my sci-fi tangent-lol.
I hope UVA gives you that II soon!

Reactions: 2 users
@claduva94: If I could get an interview at my state school with my fairly lackluster application, I'm sure you can get one at yours with your not lackluster application. We're all rooting for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
@claduva94: If I could get an interview at my state school with my fairly lackluster application, I'm sure you can get one at yours with your not lackluster application. We're all rooting for you!

To be fair, @claduva94 already interviewed at his state school. But I wholeheartedly agree that he has an excellent shot at UVA!!!

And your app is not at all lackluster. Seriously! Please believe us when we tell you that! You have a lot of great service experience, clear passions, a great GPA from a very prestigious undergrad, and a stellar MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 users
To be fair, @claduva94 already interviewed at his state school. But I wholeheartedly agree that he has an excellent shot at UVA!!!

And your app is not at all lackluster. Seriously! Please believe us when we tell you that! You have a lot of great service experience, clear passions, a great GPA from a very prestigious undergrad, and a stellar MCAT score.
Oops, my bad for thinking UVA was his state school.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I really could have done a lot more to make my app stronger. I was just too naive during undergrad. I also didn't discover this website until after I submitted my AMCAS this summer, and I wish I had discovered it earlier. My gap year isn't because I wanted to take time off; I had to when my premed advisor (who is also head of the PreHealth committee) told me I was not ready to apply during the 2013-2014 cycle way back in fall 2012.

I agree with @sunflower18 ! Your application is far from lackluster! Your commitment to service is a great attribute! And you have interviews at schools that are quite selective about OOS interviewees! Plus there is UNC, which I guess is pretty darn good ;)

Haha I understand the confusion. UVA is a great place and I do talk about it a lot! But I'd be happy to go to CU too!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I really could have done a lot more to make my app stronger. I was just too naive during undergrad. I also didn't discover this website until after I submitted my AMCAS this summer, and I wish I had discovered it earlier. My gap year isn't because I wanted to take time off; I had to when my premed advisor (who is also head of the PreHealth committee) told me I was not ready to apply during the 2013-2014 cycle way back in fall 2012.
You've done so well thus far, and this trend will only continue!
It's not as if you joined sdn, discovered the Harvard HST program, and are having regrets about not doing research. Your app is strong for the schools you applied to. And again, we all know that you'll have an excellent end result!
If anything, you'll be very well informed about applying to residencies when you're in med school! ;)
You and others might find this link useful:
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.ed...idency/career-advising-specialties/index.html
And this one is specifically for ortho:
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.ed...career-advising-specialties/orthopaedics.html

I have my first group interview on monday! Has anybody experienced those yet?

I have my first group interview on monday! Has anybody experienced those yet?

Is this Emory? I didn't interview there, but I had a group interview at Northwestern.

Mine was super low-key and fun. It was 2 interviewees and 1 MS4 interviewer. I don't know if it was unique to my particular interviewer, or structured into the interview itself, but we were asked random non-medical questions (ex: if you ran away to join the circus, what would you do there?). We would alternate between my fellow interviewee and myself responding first. In the end, it became sort of a three-way conversation.

My co-interviewee and I found each other via our interview packet beforehand, so it wasn't like I suddenly had to interview with a total stranger. They were also really fun to talk with and there wasn't a hint of competitiveness in our interview session... though I did hear a few other people complaining about having a co-interviewee that would try to one-up their responses.

But I'm sure you're going to be brilliant! Let us know how you like it!

GUYS COLUMBIA INVITED ME :O
I DONT EVEN KNOW HOW TO FEEL RIGHT NOW

Reactions: 13 users

Congrats! That is awesome! Have fun and good luck!

Also, I'm new to this thread so HELLO EVERYONE!

Welcome!!!!! We are happy to have you!!!!

Thank you! And I was actually at Albany back on Monday as well; I remember @claduva94 's bus situation and I'm glad things worked out!
Thank you! It is funny now that I know I won't be stranded in Albany haha Glad we met you!

Just got an II to Vermont!!! Maybe joining this thread gave me good luck since everyone's so awesome here hahahaha!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got an II to Vermont!!! Maybe joining this thread gave me good luck since everyone's so awesome here hahahaha!!!

Congratulations! And welcome! :)

Ace... you got this man! UNC is no joke, it's really selective and I am a statistic in that fact it seems ;) You are doing great this cycle!!!

OMG OMG congratulations!!!!!

Hello, welcome to our group and...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Is this Emory? I didn't interview there, but I had a group interview at Northwestern.

Mine was super low-key and fun. It was 2 interviewees and 1 MS4 interviewer. I don't know if it was unique to my particular interviewer, or structured into the interview itself, but we were asked random non-medical questions (ex: if you ran away to join the circus, what would you do there?). We would alternate between my fellow interviewee and myself responding first. In the end, it became sort of a three-way conversation.

My co-interviewee and I found each other via our interview packet beforehand, so it wasn't like I suddenly had to interview with a total stranger. They were also really fun to talk with and there wasn't a hint of competitiveness in our interview session... though I did hear a few other people complaining about having a co-interviewee that would try to one-up their responses.

But I'm sure you're going to be brilliant! Let us know how you like it!

Yupyup! No love from northwestern yet. I'm not sure on the style of Emory's interview so I'll need to read up on it :)

Welcome TxC!!!!

ahhhhhhhhhh i'm getting really scared you guys haha i can't believe october 15th is next week

Reactions: 8 users
ahhhhhhhhhh i'm getting really scared you guys haha i can't believe october 15th is next week

I'm so excited :D:D this thread is going to be filled with acceptances!!

Reactions: 6 users
My next interview is in my hometown and also near the Outer Banks...so I will be utilizing my three-day weekend as a mini-vacation/breath-of-fresh-air before October 15/16 rolls around! I will also be visiting my favorite winery to pick up a decent celebratory (or non-celebratory) wine :D I am not terribly nervous yet, but that may change soon haha

Hoping for the best for all of us!

Going to texas for the rest of the week to attend and give a talk at a conference. Was psyched about eating Tex mex food and all that awesome-sauce and then when I was stress eating candy, I promptly bit the HECK out of my tongue.

I'm going to have to suffer for the food now :/

It solves a lot of things!
2 for $5 is a miracle in Manhattan :D
tumblr_loi6eolqnj1qkl467o1_500.gif

We'll have to capture your upcoming excitement in slo-mo, Sunflower!!

If I get in, this will be EXACTLY my reaction:
OksAsAS.gif

Going to texas for the rest of the week to attend and give a talk at a conference. Was psyched about eating Tex mex food and all that awesome-sauce and then when I was stress eating candy, I promptly bit the HECK out of my tongue.

I'm going to have to suffer for the food now :/

Good luck and enjoy Texas!!!

@sunflower18 Oct 15 will bring you good news!!! I just know it :D

Another hard day's work at the ER and I come home to this totes awesomesauce thread! I love how Ben&Jerry's and T-Swift have now become regularly occurring memes lulz. Also, apparently UNC won't start giving out decisions until a few days AFTER 10/15...FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Hate to be that guy but like I would recommend y'all chill out a bit. From what it looks like, people in this thread are going to end up getting into at least one med school this cycle at some point, but I would not get all worked up about expecting a decision the first week they're allowed to come out, let alone the very first day. That just sounds like a script for unnecessary neuroticism and subsequent disappointment if your inboxes are uneventfully empty then. As if we don't already know how randomly admissions decisions are given out, we know even better that the timing is really nothing anybody can predict or even know why or how. I think it's just too easy for the pent up excitement and anticipation of decisions starting to get released to become disappointment that isn't even necessary at all and easily avoidable.

I always think about playing pool as an example. I've realized that my biggest disappointments and moments of despondence come from when I see the opportunity to run out, get really excited, and then make a small miscalculation/mistake and don't run out. When I don't actually get really passionate about the runout and I miss, it's all fine and I come out ok. On the contrary, the most satisfying runouts I've gotten are those where I just focused on each ball consecutively, didn't get myself all worked up, and it's like the best thing ever when I realize all I have left is the 9 ball.

Also reminds me of a Chinese proverb (yes, I'm that kind of white dude): 可遇不可求, roughly meaning, "You can let it happen [and be happy], but you can't ask for it."

To be fair, @moop, my last comment was a joke...I didn't actually scream "FFFFFUUUUUUUUU" at the top of my lungs when I found that out today. I've been really calm all week.

I didn't even know we could choose themes for how we viewed SDN... woke up this morning and the entire forum is a different color. Wattttt