Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fun fact: I reread all the Harry Potters during my last 2-week interview spree. Time very well spent. So many childhood memories.
Btw, I LOVE your UCSD pics. Especially the hummingbird!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I would appreciate it if someone can answer these two questions:

1) One of my professors in my Masters program recently wrote me a letter of recommendation. I've already submitted my primary/secondaries a long time ago and already did a few interviews. Is there any point in sending this LOR anymore? If so, do I send it to each school individually or can I just upload it through my AMCAS application?

2) Since submitting my apps, I also started teaching an afterschool program to middle schoolers. I only do it once or twice a week (5 hrs a week). Is it really worth updating schools on this? If so, do I have to go to each individual supplemental application portal and submit it one by one?

Thank you!!!

Fun fact: I reread all the Harry Potters during my last 2-week interview spree. Time very well spent. So many childhood memories.

I read all the HP books again this summer!!! I love Harry Potter way too much oh my goodness.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I would appreciate it if someone can answer these two questions:

1) One of my professors in my Masters program recently wrote me a letter of recommendation. I've already submitted my primary/secondaries a long time ago and already did a few interviews. Is there any point in sending this LOR anymore? If so, do I send it to each school individually or can I just upload it through my AMCAS application?

2) Since submitting my apps, I also started teaching an afterschool program to middle schoolers. I only do it once or twice a week (5 hrs a week). Is it really worth updating schools on this? If so, do I have to go to each individual supplemental application portal and submit it one by one?

Thank you!!!
1) Upload it to AMCAS but only select schools that accept updates and ones you aren't at their maximum already.
2) Not by itself no.

Reactions: 1 user
Gn7Ymf9.gif

Excessive celebration time!!!

FIRST ACCEPTANCE!!!! TULANE!!!!!

Big thanks to everyone's help on these threads and best of luck as the cycle continues!!!

Reactions: 14 users
Gn7Ymf9.gif

Big thanks to everyone's help on these threads and best of luck as the cycle continues!!!

CONGRATS!!! You absolutely deserve to celebrate excessively!!!

BTW I just got into Penn State which made your post so much funnier to me!

Reactions: 11 users
CONGRATS!!! You absolutely deserve to celebrate excessively!!!

BTW I just got into Penn State which made your post so much funnier to me!
Hahah brilliant! Thanks and congratulations on Penn Sate!!!

Reactions: 4 users
:biglove:Congratulations everyone!!! Me and womanofscience both got into MCW today!!!!:highfive:
Hope those still waiting to hear back get showered with IIs and then with acceptances!!:luck::pigeon: We are in this together guys!!:love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Gn7Ymf9.gif

HOLY CRAP YESSSSS HINGLE! SO SO GLAD! Excessive celebration is in order. What a huge weight off of your chest!

NOLA sounds like one hell of a place to spend the next few years! Congratulations on that acceptance! Now all you have to do is put your feet up and relax until school starts. :D

:biglove:Congratulations everyone!!! Me and @womanofscience both got into MCW today!!!!:highfive:
Hope those still waiting to hear back get showered with IIs and then with acceptances!!:luck::pigeon: We are in this together guys!!:love:

YEEEEEEESSSSS! This is a good day for a number of SDN-ers! Hope there's plenty more acceptances for all those waiting!

Have an excellent Friday night full of (excessive) celebration! And good luck to @claduva94 on the Mayo interview! (Hope you got enough sleep!).

Reactions: 5 users
1) Upload it to AMCAS but only select schools that accept updates and ones you aren't at their maximum already.
2) Not by itself no.

Thanks for the reply!

How do I find out what schools accept updates? I only sent in about 3 LORs (1 being the committee letter) so I don't think i'm going past any maximums.

Members don't see this ad :)
HOLY CRAP YESSSSS HINGLE! SO SO GLAD! Excessive celebration is in order. What a huge weight off of your chest!

NOLA sounds like one hell of a place to spend the next few years! Congratulations on that acceptance! Now all you have to do is put your feet up and relax until school starts. :D

YEEEEEEESSSSS! This is a good day for a number of SDN-ers! Hope there's plenty more acceptances for all those waiting!

Have an excellent Friday night full of (excessive) celebration! And good luck to @claduva94 on the Mayo interview! (Hope you got enough sleep!).
Walking_on_Sunshine_by_TomPreston.jpg

I'M WALKING ON SUNSHINE TODAY!!!

Thank you so much and congrats on all your great news!

CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!!!!!! So so so so exciting!!!!!!!

Sounds like @claduva94 is killing it at Mayo also, as I expected ;)

Reactions: 1 users
SLU ACCEPTANCE!!!!

Reactions: 13 users
Today I learned that Nashville public transportation sucks. Good to know not to wait 50 minutes for two buses that never come like a sad sad girl waiting for her date that stood her up while refusing to believe she was stood up. :unsure:

On the plus side, hot fried chicken!! And there's a funny story to it too-- the story goes that there was a married couple, and the woman was mad at her husband for always going out at night. So one day she decided to teach him a lesson by making him some fried chicken--but dipping it in cayenne pepper oil so it would be hella spicy! The lesson didn't go as planned and he actually loved the spicy fried chicken and decided to sell it. Sooo Nashville has several hot fried chicken places haha

Today I learned that Nashville public transportation sucks. Good to know not to wait 50 minutes for two buses that never come like a sad sad girl waiting for her date that stood her up while refusing to believe she was stood up. :unsure:

On the plus side, hot fried chicken!! And there's a funny story to it too-- the story goes that there was a married couple, and the woman was mad at her husband for always going out at night. So one day she decided to teach him a lesson by making him some fried chicken--but dipping it in cayenne pepper oil so it would be hella spicy! The lesson didn't go as planned and he actually loved the spicy fried chicken and decided to sell it. Sooo Nashville has several hot fried chicken places haha

Oh noes! I used Uber in Nashville, so I didn't get to experience its (sorely lacking) public transit.

Did you go to Hattie B's? All my interviewees were raving about it! Hope you enjoyed/will enjoy your interview at Vandy! I went in sort of hesitant and came out deeply in love with the school. Definitely one of my favourite interview days. :love:

Oh noes! I used Uber in Nashville, so I didn't get to experience its (sorely lacking) public transit.

Did you go to Hattie B's? All my interviewees were raving about it! Hope you enjoyed/will enjoy your interview at Vandy! I went in sort of hesitant and came out deeply in love with the school. Definitely one of my favourite interview days. :love:

Yes Hattie B's!! Definitely the best fried chicken I've ever had...and I'm not a huge fried chicken person but it was so flavorful, tender, and hot without that thick fatty layer that some fried chicken has.
I agree--the whole interview day was great and I was super impressed by the curriculum, the campus, the environment.. Vandy students and staff are low-key super awesome. The best adjective I have is "bro-tastic". Lmao today was the start of the College Cup and our tour guide has his roomie (both M3s) shave his head into a mohawk. When their college mentor (middle-aged rotund pediatric critical care doc) saw it, he was like "bro!!! that's sick!!" and all of us interviewees stared in awe

Icona Pop at Wash U!!!!
image.jpg

Gn7Ymf9.gif

Congrats!!!! So exciting :D They are giving me silence. I'd like to know if we have a chance of being classmates!
CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!!!!!! So so so so exciting!!!!!!!

Sounds like @claduva94 is killing it at Mayo also, as I expected ;)
Hahaha thank you. We will see :)

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! My interviews went pretty well I think. Mayo is literally perfect. It is beyond me how they get any waitlist movement at all!

GUESS WHO'S BACK

BACK AGAIN

MOOP IS BACK

TELL A FRIEND

Probably because he trolled too much. I know, it's sad.
Actually, no. I didn't do it quite as much to warrant that. It was because I was offering the glitched Kaplan MCAT books free from Amazon to users and that's a copyright violation. Looks like my dedication to public service wasn't appreciated in this case.. :'(

Wait, but how? I thought it was impossible to get unbanned.
I pleaded and cried at Ismet and @gettheleadout's knees and swore to name my firstborn after them.

lol

It was a temprorary 1-week ban for a first time serious violation. Second time around I'm a goner I think.

Just got back from my second interview. They'll be the only two I'll have gone on before the Texas pre-match period, and thus the only possible acceptances for me to get before February.

Stupid, sexy Texas. Easier to get into great schools here, but the acceptance process is so dumb. :/

Try not to be too generous next time, Moop ;)
Happy to see you back!!
Thanks!! The ban was timed awesomely bc it was midterm week all this past week so I got all my sh*it done with no SDN to think about AND NOW I'M ON A BOAT MOTHERFUGGERS (fall break)

Thanks!! The ban was timed awesomely bc it was midterm week all this past week so I got all my sh*it done with no SDN to think about AND NOW I'M ON A BOAT MOTHERFUGGERS (fall break)
Kicking that gangsta ****, huh Moop?!

All Eyez on Moop, droppin' soon!
all-eyez-on-me.jpg

Executive Producer: E-40

So ECU sent some people acceptance emails on 10/23 and I never got one. I'm getting so sick and tired of being passed over, and I just keep feeling crappier every day for not being accepted anywhere yet. Just wanted to vent. :((((

So ECU sent some people acceptance emails on 10/23 and I never got one. I'm getting so sick and tired of being passed over, and I just keep feeling crappier every day for not being accepted anywhere yet. Just wanted to vent. :((((

I'm so sorry Ace :( they're foolish for not snatching you up!

Awh, dude. :( I'm pretty sure things will turn out all right. You're doing everything right, given the interviews you've been drawing in. We seem to get caught in the heat of the moment on SDN and bank on these early acceptances, when in reality the majority of acceptances will go out later in the year.

This'll be a moot point anyways when UNC sends you their acceptance. ;)

I know it's frustrating, but it's still very early!
tupac.jpg

All the venting is gonna sound silly once you get your acceptances.

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all. I still feel like crap. I'm starting to think that because I'm nowhere near as qualified as my Wash U peers (the typical strong Wash U applicant usually has 1-3 years research experience, as much or somewhat less volunteering and clinical experience as I have, is an RA/holds many other leadership roles on campus, and has GPA/MCAT of 3.8+/35+), every school is comparing me with all previous Wash U students who applied and are judging me as being less than standard Wash U applicant quality.

@Ace Khalifa I think your situation has more to do with the fact that you have applied to schools that are more service based, and your stats are typically much higher than their averages, so they may be hesitant to invite you. In your case, a letter of interest or update may help.

Thanks for the encouragement, y'all. I still feel like crap. I'm starting to think that because I'm nowhere near as qualified as my Wash U peers (the typical strong Wash U applicant usually has 1-3 years research experience, as much or somewhat less volunteering and clinical experience as I have, is an RA/holds many other leadership roles on campus, and has GPA/MCAT of 3.8+/35+), every school is comparing me with all previous Wash U students who applied and are judging me as being less than standard Wash U applicant quality.
False. You're just as qualified, if not more! It's not all about the research. And med schools know this. You'll get your acceptances soon! We all know it!
(Including Taylor!)
tumblr_lu5zkblbTr1qk2y3lo1_400.gif

It will be okay. I've been waitlisted at three schools myself, so you're not alone. Everything will be alright. Everyone keeps saying this is a long, tumultuous process. Keep your head up.

@Ace Khalifa I think your situation has more to do with the fact that you have applied to schools that are more service based, and your stats are typically much higher than their averages, so they may be hesitant to invite you. In your case, a letter of interest or update may help.
Well, that sucks for other applicants like me, who have high stats but don't want to do research.

Well, that sucks for other applicants like me, who have high stats but don't want to do research.

It will be okay. I've been waitlisted at three schools myself, so you're not alone. Everything will be alright. Everyone keeps saying this is a long, tumultuous process. Keep your head up.

You both deserve to hear great news soon, and I'm really sorry that it hasn't come yet. I'm very confident that you'll both get in this cycle, but I know it must be tough to watch other people getting good news while you're still waiting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this next week will bring an acceptance sailing into your inboxes -- I can't wait to watch this thread burst into celebration when that day comes! :) I know that consolation from strangers online might not seem terribly comforting, but please keep in mind that we are all incredibly supportive of you and believe that you are capable of success. We're here to both cheer you on when you succeed and cheer you up when things aren't going your way. Today is one of the latter occasions, but hopefully soon it'll be the former :) Hang in there! I'm sending positive vibes and virtual hugs towards both of you :)

@Ace Khalifa, this is kinda like the NBA draft. Some great players are taken later in the draft for whatever reason and they help lead their team to a championship! Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard are examples. In fact, Tony Parker (drafted 28th?) has had way more success than tons of guards that were drafted earlier. It's the nature of the beast. But we all know you belong at a great med school and this will be validated very soon!

@Ace Khalifa, this is kinda like the NBA draft. Some great players are taken later in the draft for whatever reason and they help lead their team to a championship! Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard are examples. In fact, Tony Parker (drafted 28th?) has had way more success than tons of guards that were drafted earlier. It's the nature of the beast. But we all know you belong at a great med school and this will be validated very soon!
I understand the analogy...I just don't watch sports, so I don't know who you're talking about.

Well the reality is a lot of high stat applicants use those schools as safeties; they also get so many applications. Which is why I think an update from you might help to make you more noticeable in the crowd. For the research heavy schools you applied to, yeah research would have definitely helped.

Then again, you have 4 interviews already, which is a lot better than most people out there. Just be patient, you only need that one acceptance!

I understand the analogy...I just don't watch sports, so I don't know who you're talking about.
Not knowing the players doesn't really matter. As long as you understand the analogy. The NBA draft is a pretty random process. And believe it or not, with a few exceptions (ie LeBron, Kevin Durant), a lot of players are just chosen earlier for no apparent reason. And this frustrates qualified prospects that just sit there, waiting for their name to be called. But eventually they hear their name. And guess what, they're in the NBA. And that's all that matters in the end. Your name will be called soon!

Last edited:
Well the reality is a lot of high stat applicants use those schools as safeties; they also get so many applications. Which is why I think an update from you might help to make you more noticeable in the crowd. For the research heavy schools you applied to, yeah research would have definitely helped.

Then again, you have 4 interviews already, which is a lot better than most people out there. Just be patient, you only need that one acceptance!
I don't really have anything meaningful to update, other than my total number of hours worked as a scribe and a few more hours of NH hospice care volunteering. I dislike equating high stats with "top-tier schools" and "wants to/should do research."

You both deserve to hear great news soon, and I'm really sorry that it hasn't come yet. I'm very confident that you'll both get in this cycle, but I know it must be tough to watch other people getting good news while you're still waiting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this next week will bring an acceptance sailing into your inboxes -- I can't wait to watch this thread burst into celebration when that day comes! :) I know that consolation from strangers online might not seem terribly comforting, but please keep in mind that we are all incredibly supportive of you and believe that you are capable of success. We're here to both cheer you on when you succeed and cheer you up when things aren't going your way. Today is one of the latter occasions, but hopefully soon it'll be the former :) Hang in there! I'm sending positive vibes and virtual hugs towards both of you :)

You are so incredibly sweet. Thank you for the support. Hopefully I'll get some love from the schools I've visited. I'm afraid I'm not that great an interviewer, so I'm nervous.

Thank you, though. It made my Saturday night!

Lmao lmao lmao lmao

That was a great analogy though

Lol @Cyberdyne 101 seems to go through musical phases. I love it.

Also @sunflower18 gives such great advice and is so genuinely sweet and when she listens to her own advice she is very well off ;)

@Ace Khalifa It is their loss but I'm sure you will have an acceptance in hand soon! They would be foolish to pass you up. You still have to hear from UNC, they are your #1 and all you need is one! I have complete confidence in you. Same goes to you @Sirphillup But seriously though. You talked to me for a full plane ride. I can tell that you can interview! Love will come your way soon :)