Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
(Including Taylor!)
tumblr_lu5zkblbTr1qk2y3lo1_400.gif
55644116.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Omg no more Taylor Swift gifs plz

The last thing I liked was her "Fearless" album....

Reactions: 1 user
Omg no more Taylor Swift gifs plz

The last thing I liked was her "Fearless" album....
If you dislike her music I highly suggest you "shake it off". Maybe her and Cyberdyne have a "love story"?

...Ok I'm done.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OMG those Taylor Swift gifts are making me sick :clown:! I guess I am the only one on this thread who can't stand her music! Sorry guys lol!:whistle: PINK FLOYD FOR LIFE!:love:
200.gif

@Ace Khalifa If they haven't WL or rejected you, you are still being considered! They might just be protecting their yield since your numbers are way too high!! Like others have suggested, an update letter + letter of intent to your top choice seems like a good idea. How about adding a LOR? Ask a doc from your ER to write you a LOR and couple it with a LOI. I really believe you will get in soon though.Plus you still have to wait to hear from EVMS who love service and you are all about that! I know it is hard, but just try to keep positive and keep building your file. There really is no reason why you wouldn't get in.

Now is the ideal time to become an ESPN junkie! Especially since you're going into ortho ;)
No, I refuse to perpetuate that stereotype. I'm gonna be a well-respected orthopedic surgeon AND a nerd, and people will have to accept it!
OMG this is hilarious. Thanks, it def cheered me up.
OMG those Taylor Swift gifts are making me sick :clown:! I guess I am the only one on this thread who can't stand her music! Sorry guys lol!:whistle: PINK FLOYD FOR LIFE!:love:
200.gif

@Ace Khalifa If they haven't WL or rejected you, you are still being considered! They might just be protecting their yield since your numbers are way too high!! Like others have suggested, an update letter + letter of intent to your top choice seems like a good idea. How about adding a LOR? Ask a doc from your ER to write you a LOR and couple it with a LOI. I really believe you will get in soon though. Plus you still have to wait to hear from EVMS who love service and you are all about that! I know it is hard, but just try to keep positive and keep building your file. There really is no reason why you wouldn't get in.
Booooo, Taylor Swift is da bomb. I love her music! You and @moop should reconsider lol. And unfortunately, my top choice UNC does not take update letters or LOI's. That, and I have not worked with any one EM doc long enough for any of them to write me a strong LOR if I wanted one.

Reactions: 1 users
200.gif

@Ace Khalifa If they haven't WL or rejected you, you are still being considered! They might just be protecting their yield since your numbers are way too high!! Like others have suggested, an update letter + letter of intent to your top choice seems like a good idea. How about adding a LOR? Ask a doc from your ER to write you a LOR and couple it with a LOI. I really believe you will get in soon though.Plus you still have to wait to hear from EVMS who love service and you are all about that! I know it is hard, but just try to keep positive and keep building your file. There really is no reason why you wouldn't get in.
You easily have one of the top 5 avatar pics on SDN! And I'm sure Taylor would agree ;)
Pink Floyd is great too!!

No, I refuse to perpetuate that stereotype. I'm gonna be a well-respected orthopedic surgeon AND a nerd, and people will have to accept it!

OMG this is hilarious. Thanks, it def cheered me up.

Booooo, Taylor Swift is da bomb. I love her music! You and @moop should reconsider lol. And unfortunately, my top choice UNC does not take update letters or LOI's. That, and I have not worked with any one EM doc long enough for any of them to write me a strong LOR if I wanted one.
A lot of nerds love sports!!! And I'm one of them :D:p
But regardless, you will work on tons of athletes ;)

A lot of nerds love sports!!! And I'm one of them :D:p
But regardless, you will work on tons of athletes ;)
I have no issue with working on athletes. That's to be expected, even if I don't sub-specialize in sports med.

I have no issue with working on athletes. That's to be expected, even if I don't sub-specialize in sports med.
So which are your favorites at the moment?
Sports med (shoulder, knee, elbow, ankle, possibly hip)
Joint reconstruction (hip knee)
Ortho oncology
Spine
Hand
Foot and ankle
Peds (deformity correction)
Trauma
All of the above?! :D

So which are your favorites at the moment?
Sports med (shoulder, knee, elbow, ankle, possibly hip)
Joint reconstruction (hip knee)
Ortho oncology
Spine
Hand
Foot and ankle
Peds (deformity correction)
Trauma
All of the above?! :D
For the most variety, sports med. For the highest salary, spine. For the best combination of both, joint reconstruction. Not sure which one to pick yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the most variety, sports med. For the highest salary, spine. For the best combination of both, joint reconstruction. Not sure which one to pick yet.
A lot of ortho surgeons in my area actually do a combination of sports med and joint reconstruction. The patient population here permits that.
I really like spine as well, although only neurosurgeons can operate within the dura.
Trauma is really cool for variety, but it seems to be the most unpredictable in terms of hours.

A lot of ortho surgeons in my area actually do a combination of sports med and joint reconstruction. The patient population here permits that.
I really like spine as well, although only neurosurgeons can operate within the dura.
Trauma is really cool for variety, but it seems to be the most unpredictable in terms of hours.
Hell no I'm not doing trauma lol.

Sup guys!

Got my MCAT/GPA requirment for my BS/MD program here at the University of South Alabama so I will be starting in August. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 4 users
I don't listen to rap. Stopped at Eminem's 8 Mile back in the day
Which would you listen to, if you could? If you had one shot? One opportunity? If it was everything you ever wanted?

Which would you listen to, if you could? If you had one shot? One opportunity? If it was everything you ever wanted?
I wouldn't capture it, I'll probably just let it slip

yo

I have to ask you about your pen ranking. I was impressed by Wayne's pens (they had the stylus thing). So what did Pitt do to vastly top that?

Wayne's pen does have the stylus tip, but it feels flimsy. Perhaps it should rank above UMich's, which has a similar feel but lacks that feature. Pitt's pen is made from sturdy aluminum and has subtle rubber grip-aids. It's both artistic and utilitarian.

OUWB had an awesome pen!! Post pics @Australopithekus lol!

Sadly, I lost the OUWB pen at some point during the interview. I remember that it wrote very well- perhaps the best of the group! It didn't have the wonderful cool metal feel of the Pitt and MSU pens, though. Maybe I'll post a family picture (minus the eldest child) when the cycle is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Is it bad if I had to look up "Mom's spaghetti" because I didn't get the reference?

Yesssssss @Australopithekus . Fantastic rendition.

On the subject of pens, I've been meaning to do a swag recap thus far.

Hellanutella's Grand Ole Swag List
1. Mount Sinai
  • traditional ballpoint pen: 3/5 stars (but alas, I lost it)
  • pencil: for all you old fashioned folks and/or Scantron test-takers
  • hand sanitizer: you know us hygiene obsessed premeds too well, actually useful for all the travelling I've been doing
  • luggage tags: also very useful, though I will feel like a dork carrying around MSSM tags if they reject me. :(
2. UC Irvine:
  • ballpoint pen with stylus tip: 4/5 stars – unfortunately, the stylus is rather flimsy and not good for doodling
  • anteater-emblazoned lanyard: afraid I don't have much use for it, though it is rather pretty
  • drawstring bag/knapsack: the only people I've ever seen carrying around these types of bags are sports bros or freshmen during orientation week. Nevertheless, it made for impressive swag.
3. Cornell
  • reusable tote bag: too small for groceries, but fits a bottle of wine, 2 pints of gelato, and 5 chocolate bars just fine. That's all I need, anyways.
4. Pitt
  • hefty, professional-looking metallic pen: 5/5 stars, would very much recommend to a friend
5. UCF
  • ballpoint pen: 2/5 stars, would not recommend to a friend. When clicked, finaid office info will rotate along the barrel of the pen. At this point in the year, I don't even want to think about finances. Lovely pen, aside from that.
  • futuristic flash-drive: too big to be useful, but its keycard shape is sure to make you look very, very sophisticated. Even comes with a leatherette holster for said flash drive.
6. Northwestern
  • sweet-ass purple pen: 3/5 stars, really like the vibrant purple colour. Has really soft grip, but ink has started to run dry.
No swag from UVA, USC, Vanderbilt, UCSF, JHU, or UCSD. Still got lovely folders from all but UVA (you get a magazine instead of a folder).

Best lunch (by far): UVA. Seriously. That was an amazing lunch.
Runner ups include: JHU (catered Panera buffet), UCSF (preloaded lunch card), Pitt (finally, no club sandwiches!)
Best breakfast: tie between UCSF (fancy yogurt) and Vanderbilt (delicious tea loaf).

Yesssssss @Australopithekus . Fantastic rendition.

On the subject of pens, I've been meaning to do a swag recap thus far.

Hellanutella's Grand Ole Swag List
1. Mount Sinai
  • traditional ballpoint pen: 3/5 stars (but alas, I lost it)
  • pencil: for all you old fashioned folks and/or Scantron test-takers
  • hand sanitizer: you know us hygiene obsessed premeds too well, actually useful for all the travelling I've been doing
  • luggage tags: also very useful, though I will feel like a dork carrying around MSSM tags if they reject me. :(
2. UC Irvine:
  • ballpoint pen with stylus tip: 4/5 stars – unfortunately, the stylus is rather flimsy and not good for doodling
  • anteater-emblazoned lanyard: afraid I don't have much use for it, though it is rather pretty
  • drawstring bag/knapsack: the only people I've ever seen carrying around these types of bags are sports bros or freshmen during orientation week. Nevertheless, it made for impressive swag.
3. Cornell
  • reusable tote bag: too small for groceries, but fits a bottle of wine, 2 pints of gelato, and 5 chocolate bars just fine. That's all I need, anyways.
4. Pitt
  • hefty, professional-looking metallic pen: 5/5 stars, would very much recommend to a friend
5. UCF
  • ballpoint pen: 2/5 stars, would not recommend to a friend. When clicked, finaid office info will rotate along the barrel of the pen. At this point in the year, I don't even want to think about finances. Lovely pen, aside from that.
  • futuristic flash-drive: too big to be useful, but its keycard shape is sure to make you look very, very sophisticated. Even comes with a leatherette holster for said flash drive.
6. Northwestern
  • sweet-ass purple pen: 3/5 stars, really like the vibrant purple colour. Has really soft grip, but ink has started to run dry.
No swag from UVA, USC, Vanderbilt, UCSF, JHU, or UCSD. Still got lovely folders from all but UVA (you get a magazine instead of a folder).

Best lunch (by far): UVA. Seriously. That was an amazing lunch.
Runner ups include: JHU (catered Panera buffet), UCSF (preloaded lunch card), Pitt (finally, no club sandwiches!)
Best breakfast: tie between UCSF (fancy yogurt) and Vanderbilt (delicious tea loaf).
TIL I need to hit up my UG's med school for pens.

On that note, how often do you recommend writing utensils to your friends?

TIL I need to hit up my UG's med school for pens.

On that note, how often do you recommend writing utensils to your friends?

Seriously. Some of those folks out there with 20+ interviews are going to have very impressive pen collections.

Haha! Not too often, though I have had very lively discussions about med school pens with some of the interviewees I've met. I'm a compulsive doodler, so I take my writing utensils very seriously. Shameless plug for Sakura Microns. Expensive, but worth every penny.

Seriously. Some of those folks out there with 20+ interviews are going to have very impressive pen collections.

Haha! Not too often, though I have had very lively discussions about med school pens with some of the interviewees I've met. I'm a compulsive doodler, so I take my writing utensils very seriously. Shameless plug for Sakura Microns. Expensive, but worth every penny.

I LOVE PENS. I take pens and office supplies VERY seriously and have had many many many animated, enthusiastic discussions about the merits of different types of pens and notebooks and other types of supplies. It's a big deal to me.

ballpoint pen: 2/5 stars, would not recommend to a friend. When clicked, finaid office info will rotate along the barrel of the pen. At this point in the year, I don't even want to think about finances. Lovely pen, aside from that.

...As terrifying as thinking about money is, that description of the pen makes it sound pretty cool. I want a pen with rotating words on it.

Also, in general, I feel like I must be going to the wrong interviews. My "swag" is pretty much all folders and nametags...

Reactions: 3 users
I had no idea some of you love pens so much; I do too, especially free ones.

I attended the grad school fair at my school last week just for the free pens.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
Woohoo I like returning to a lively discussion about pens and other writing supplies!! Hope everyone's been doing well! I'm a huge pen fanatic -- ballpoint pens, fine drawing pens, calligraphy pens, fountain pens, you name it. UK gave out a nice, heavy pen that writes really well, but none of my other schools have given out remarkable pens! Pen quality should totally be part of the interview survey, in addition to lunch haha (btw, Georgetown had a buffet that included steak, a bread/baguette station with half a dozen different pestos and spreads, seared scallops, an enormous salad bar with tons of fruit [even figs!], little baked puddings, and an entire table just for different kinds of macarons and cakes... it was heavenly).

Reactions: 2 users
See I can't stand ballpoint pens..... They have to be gel or I write horribly with them. I like writing fairly hard and with lines of medium thickness (too thin and my handwriting sucks, but too thick and you can't read anything), and I prefer it if the pens glide across the paper instead of the way that ballpoint pens simply... don't do that. Not a fan. I also CANNOT stand it when pens skip, or when the ink smears. I also need a lot of colours. Necessary, since my notes are colour coded.

See I can't stand ballpoint pens..... They have to be gel or I write horribly with them. I like writing fairly hard and with lines of medium thickness (too thin and my handwriting sucks, but too thick and you can't read anything), and I prefer it if the pens glide across the paper instead of the way that ballpoint pens simply... don't do that. Not a fan. I also CANNOT stand it when pens skip, or when the ink smears. I also need a lot of colours. Necessary, since my notes are colour coded.

Oh god the pen skipping, it's the bane of my writing existence. There have been some great ballpoint pens that I've come across, but the quality and variety out there is so vast that my handwriting can change dramatically from brand to brand. Ballpoint is best for some of my more cramped note-taking, but it certainly depends! I love my thin Helix drawing pens for regular writing, though. I've recently been using a set of colored Stabilo pens that have been great for letter writing, drawing, and note-taking - found them on Amazon for a reasonable price! One of my friends color-coded all of her notes and after seeing how nice they were I had to buy them. Lately, however, I've been on the hunt for more calligraphy nibs and good ink (goulet pens has a ton of cool items, for anyone interested... I would buy it all if I could, especially the color changing inks)

Pitt's pen really is amazing; I was just using it for my homework.

I got one of the pens from Texas Tech - Lubbock that has four different colored tips that you can click out. I've seen them before, but only once, and I think it's pretty neat; would be really useful for organizing and annotating notes using multiple colors.

The best pen I've gotten so far was at UF. It was a flashlight/stylus/pen in one and pretty much singlehandedly made me love the school

Uni-Ball Signo DX 0.38mm is my fav thus far, but I don't think I've seen an admissions pen mimic it yet.

UF pen is fairly useful.