Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love my OUWB pen :D Gorggggg!
IMAG0079 copy.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I can haz II from UMass.

SO MUCH EXCITE!

When I got the call:

Mk0Bx2U.gif

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Iceandmedicine did you not have the most amazing day today or what? Congrats on those awesome IIs! You're going to love Vandy and Northwestern!

Reactions: 3 users
I may have missed it but I do believe that someone had an acceptance slip by our detectors. :nono:

I'm on to you @hellanutella

Congrats on your second California acceptance (and to a UC school no less!) :highfive:

Reactions: 5 users
@hellanutella CONGRATULATIONS!!! And seriously, waking up to to IIs is one of the most dreamy things that could have happened to me!! :soexcited:
I am so incredibly excited for both! and looking forward to reading your exceptionally helpful impressions for both those schools ;)

New to this thread, but just wanted to share that I received my first acceptance today! Happy to join you all as a future physician of the class of 2019!

Reactions: 15 users
Yesssssss @Australopithekus . Fantastic rendition.

On the subject of pens, I've been meaning to do a swag recap thus far.

Hellanutella's Grand Ole Swag List
1. Mount Sinai
  • traditional ballpoint pen: 3/5 stars (but alas, I lost it)
  • pencil: for all you old fashioned folks and/or Scantron test-takers
  • hand sanitizer: you know us hygiene obsessed premeds too well, actually useful for all the travelling I've been doing
  • luggage tags: also very useful, though I will feel like a dork carrying around MSSM tags if they reject me. :(
2. UC Irvine:
  • ballpoint pen with stylus tip: 4/5 stars – unfortunately, the stylus is rather flimsy and not good for doodling
  • anteater-emblazoned lanyard: afraid I don't have much use for it, though it is rather pretty
  • drawstring bag/knapsack: the only people I've ever seen carrying around these types of bags are sports bros or freshmen during orientation week. Nevertheless, it made for impressive swag.
3. Cornell
  • reusable tote bag: too small for groceries, but fits a bottle of wine, 2 pints of gelato, and 5 chocolate bars just fine. That's all I need, anyways.
4. Pitt
  • hefty, professional-looking metallic pen: 5/5 stars, would very much recommend to a friend
5. UCF
  • ballpoint pen: 2/5 stars, would not recommend to a friend. When clicked, finaid office info will rotate along the barrel of the pen. At this point in the year, I don't even want to think about finances. Lovely pen, aside from that.
  • futuristic flash-drive: too big to be useful, but its keycard shape is sure to make you look very, very sophisticated. Even comes with a leatherette holster for said flash drive.
6. Northwestern
  • sweet-ass purple pen: 3/5 stars, really like the vibrant purple colour. Has really soft grip, but ink has started to run dry.
No swag from UVA, USC, Vanderbilt, UCSF, JHU, or UCSD. Still got lovely folders from all but UVA (you get a magazine instead of a folder).

Best lunch (by far): UVA. Seriously. That was an amazing lunch.
Runner ups include: JHU (catered Panera buffet), UCSF (preloaded lunch card), Pitt (finally, no club sandwiches!)
Best breakfast: tie between UCSF (fancy yogurt) and Vanderbilt (delicious tea loaf).

Turned off of SDN for a bit, but work has been nuts so I'm trying to enjoy the happiness of this thread a bit more. Kinda lurked around, so belated congrats to yall!

Yes to Pitt's pen! NYU gave a literal swag bag though.

tumblr_lx50zomr4j1qf9mevo1_500.gif

Let's all wish the amazing @researchismymiddlename a very Happy Birthday!!!!
(Not sure why I chose that specific Taylor gif :laugh: It just seemed appropriate for the occasion :D).

And of course, we all know that you'll be magnificent at your Cornell interview tomorrow!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
tumblr_lx50zomr4j1qf9mevo1_500.gif

Let's all wish the amazing @researchismymiddlename a very Happy Birthday!!!!
(Not sure why I chose that specific Taylor gif :laugh: It just seemed appropriate for the occasion :D).

And of course, we all know that you'll be magnificent at your Cornell interview tomorrow!!!

That's a good gif :)

Yes yes yes HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO @researchismymiddlename !!!! YOU'RE A FREAKING ROCKSTAR and I love your presence on this thread and in my life!!! You bring so much joy and positivity to everything you do and I'm so excited to see what you accomplish :biglove::claps::highfive::bow::soexcited::clap::woot::banana:

Reactions: 4 users
Gahhh how did I not know this????? Happy Birthday @researchismymiddlename !!!!! You are so beyond sweet and awesome. Also you make me feel like less of a youngster!! Best of luck with Cornell. You will kill it :D

Soooo, just wanted to update. I was just invited for a "second look" at penn state this coming April, which means I was most likely accepted. Happiest day of my life if I am correct.

Reactions: 12 users
Soooo, just wanted to update. I was just invited for a "second look" at penn state this coming April, which means I was most likely accepted. Happiest day of my life if I am correct.
CONGRATS DUDE!!! I interviewed on the 29th and cant stop checking my portal :X I'm praying for that second look tab.

CONGRATS DUDE!!! I interviewed on the 29th and cant stop checking my portal :X I'm praying for that second look tab.

Thanks, man. I hope you get it and we can be classmates. The folk in this thread are pretty awesome. Crossing fingers for you. You should be hearing in about two weeks!

When I got the second look tab I asked a lot of people about it; it is highly unlikely that the tab would be activated by mistake.

I am fairly certain I'll end up at PSU and I can't wait to meet some of you!!!

Happy Birthday @researchismymiddlename!!!!!!!! I hope you're out celebrating, dancing, and eating lots of tasty things!! :hardy: Youngster, huh? I'm usually the youngest of all my classmates and friends, so perhaps we're close in age!

@Cyberdyne 101, I love your tswift gifs. I thought of you yesterday because I bought my friend a mini tswift calendar as a somewhat joke gift for his birthday. You would most certainly approve of it. He's obsessed with her music and we love seriously examining her lyrics and videos by supplying dramatic commentary and the occasional sarcastic remark. It's great fun, usually ending with us belting out songs in the car.

@Sirphillup, I hope that second look tab means what it meant for others in the PSU thread -- that would be amazing news!! Fingers crossed for you!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just landed in CVille after my 36th flight. And now, barring UVA getting their act together, I'm done interviewing! So excited to be able to relax :)
d0zW50H.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Yeah, interviewing is a lot more draining than I expected, and I don't even have that many. I dunno how some of you guys in this thread with 10+ interviews do it!

Yeah, interviewing is a lot more draining than I expected, and I don't even have that many. I dunno how some of you guys in this thread with 10+ interviews do it!

I've done 11, and have 3 more scheduled... It's been really fun but really exhausting, that's for sure!

Happy Birthday @researchismymiddlename!!!!!!!! I hope you're out celebrating, dancing, and eating lots of tasty things!! :hardy: Youngster, huh? I'm usually the youngest of all my classmates and friends, so perhaps we're close in age!

@Cyberdyne 101, I love your tswift gifs. I thought of you yesterday because I bought my friend a mini tswift calendar as a somewhat joke gift for his birthday. You would most certainly approve of it. He's obsessed with her music and we love seriously examining her lyrics and videos by supplying dramatic commentary and the occasional sarcastic remark. It's great fun, usually ending with us belting out songs in the car.

@Sirphillup, I hope that second look tab means what it meant for others in the PSU thread -- that would be amazing news!! Fingers crossed for you!!
For my birthday (earlier this year), my friend got me a Taylor Swift card that plays "Fearless" when it's opened :D

Btw, I think of you whenever I pass this:
image.jpg

I should have posted it sooner :)

For my birthday (earlier this year), my friend got me a Taylor Swift card that plays "Fearless" when it's opened :D

Btw, I think of you whenever I pass this:
View attachment 186571
I should have posted it sooner :)

Ahhh that card sounds amazing! I'm very, very tempted to buy my friend one, too. Too bad they're older than 22 because I would love to get a card that plays "22!"

And that's so sweet -- honestly, if I had been there at the time, I would have totally gone to that event! Now it's a cool poster to look at, though! :)

Reactions: 1 user

Eventually they all become the same. I've heard like every type of interview question and its like déjà vu. I had been doing them 3 back to back every week since I'm on the west coast and most require me to fly out. Thankfully I'm almost done :)

Eventually they all become the same. I've heard like every type of interview question and its like déjà vu. I had been doing them 3 back to back every week since I'm on the west coast and most require me to fly out. Thankfully I'm almost done :)
Fairly certain I can tell people a school's tour speech before they give it. Did you know the students are collaborative and score above average on the Step 1?!!

Reactions: 9 users
Yes! Congrats on those new acceptances! Can't wait to see what the rest of the year should bring.

Ooof. I've done 12 interviews so far, but luckily 3 of them did not require flying and I was pretty good about doing OOS ones in big blocks of 4. Doing CCLCM fer sure and currently trying to grub up enough money for WashU (just need the flight, since they give interviewees housing – how sweet!). So hopefully 14 interviews? Ouch.

@claduva94 YAY! :D I'm sending you tons of good vibes. Hopefully UVA will shoot you an II, so you can just roll out of bed and meander over to the med campus.

Fairly certain I can tell people a school's tour speech before they give it. Did you know the students are collaborative and score above average on the Step 1?!!

"Did you know the class has a googledoc where we share notes? And a facebook page where we post books/housing for sale? We are so collaborative."
– every interview tour I have been on so far

I'm curious, because what schools are scoring below average on step? Every school I have interviewed at (ranging from unranked to top 10) reports "above average step scores."

Last edited:
Yes! Congrats on those new acceptances! Can't wait to see what the rest of the year should bring.

Ooof. I've done 12 interviews so far, but luckily 3 of them did not require flying and I was pretty good about doing OOS ones in big blocks of 4. Doing CCLCM fer sure and currently trying to grub up enough money for WashU (just need the flight, since they give interviewees housing – how sweet!). So hopefully 14 interviews? Ouch.

@claduva94 YAY! :D I'm sending you tons of good vibes. Hopefully UVA will shoot you an II, so you can just roll out of bed and meander over to the med campus.

"Did you know the class has a googledoc where we share notes? And a facebook page where we post books/housing for sale? We are so collaborative."

I'm curious, because what schools are scoring below average on step? Every school I have interviewed at (ranging from unranked to top 10) reports "above average step scores."
Regarding Step 1 scores:
[URL="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/average-usmle-step-i-score-by-med-school.161592/#post-7273672"]Average USMLE Step I score by med school?[/URL]
It's possible that a school with a slightly lower step 1 average is simply being honest.

I did 13 interviews in 8.5 weeks and it was a nightmare. Looking back on it, I'm glad I crammed them in so tightly (cause it meant that I got back to being a full-time student/back to my thesis more quickly), but man oh man was it bad.

Ugh, I hate that. It's like buzzwords in startups. It really pisses me off. SAY SOMETHING OF SUBSTANCE!

I did 13 interviews in 8.5 weeks and it was a nightmare. Looking back on it, I'm glad I crammed them in so tightly (cause it meant that I got back to being a full-time student/back to my thesis more quickly), but man oh man was it bad.

Wow that's insane. I haven't even had one of them yet. You early appliers...!

Wow you're a trooper!! What school will be lucky to have you next year?

I have no idea and that freaks me out a bit! Haha! My next three interviews are at schools that I see myself loving, so the cycle definitely isn't over yet for me :)

Congrats on the PSU second look tab!!!!! That's so exciting :) did you love the school when you visited?

I'm so excited for your CCLCM summary because I cannot wait to visit there. I hope you love it! :)

Yes yes hahaha I wonder if students and faculty just don't realise that every other school says exactly the same things haha

Thank you! That would be a nice interview to go to! No missed sleep or wandering around lost!

"And it is super convenient because all of our lectures are recorded and online. So like 3/4 of the class never shows up. Oh and the faculty are super accessible and our anatomy lab is great compared to other schools because it isn't in a basement and has lots of circulation."

Lmaooo I hear you guys. Really pushes me to reorganize my top choices based on who gives free iPads :shifty: (The technology geek in me speaking)

WOW you guys with multiple interviews are awesome! Respect :bow:

I have my first interview tomorrow! Any words of wisdom/advise from any of you seasoned interviewers? :)

I have my first interview tomorrow! Any words of wisdom/advise from any of you seasoned interviewers? :)
Relax and be concise with your answers! Smile and make eye contact! :)

Reactions: 6 users

Be calm. Know your app, smile, and be genuinely happy to be there. I have only had one rotten interview out of 13 so far and at most places, people were very nice. Enjoy meeting all the cool other applicants too. It's a fun day.

Know your app and know why you want to do medicine, why that school, etc etc. (the basic expected questions). Know your app so you can confidently speak about ANY aspect of it. Most importantly, be yourself, smile, and MAKE FRIENDS. It's awesome meeting new people as is, especially ones who have the same motives as you, unless they're jerks, then they're just jerks. But still play nice and just go about your day as if eyes were all over the walls and can see your every move haha.

And legit keep your cellphone away and put it on silent. Resist the urge to check it and if you really can't, keep it in the car. Best of luck my dude!!

Think of it as an opportunity for you to learn about the school, meet new people, see an awesome place, and passionately talk about your experiences and motivations with people who care about your future. Interview days are fun and if you think of them as such, you'll feel more relaxed and less anxious about the evaluation aspect.

Good luck!!! You'll do fantastic :)

One of the schools I interviewed at changed things up... they had a class dropbox where they shared notes!

---yet another non med school post---

Got a second round superday interview at a New York law firm! An inch closer to working in biglaw

---end non med school post---

Got a second round superday interview at a New York law firm! An inch closer to working in biglaw

Internship with a senator for the winter confirmed. Go team~

Internship with a senator for the winter confirmed. Go team~
Uh oh. Do you know exactly what you're doing? Hopefully it's not grunt LC work...

Uh oh. Do you know exactly what you're doing? Hopefully it's not grunt LC work...
Yeah. Can't disclose too much as I'd still like some measure of anonymity, but what they'll have me doing is actually quite interesting. While a bit of it is interfacing with constituents, the particular work I'll be doing involves a big reform my state is to undergo (and getting people involved / reviewing legislature / helping draft / traveling a lot).

bummer... another put on hold at another school today. Starting to get worried with my single II. This cycle is so emotionally draining haha.

Yeah. Can't disclose too much as I'd still like some measure of anonymity, but what they'll have me doing is actually quite interesting. While a bit of it is interfacing with constituents, the particular work I'll be doing involves a big reform my state is to undergo (and getting people involved / reviewing legislature / helping draft / traveling a lot).
Okay then yay! I always hold off on the congratulations whenever someone's working in a public official's office until I ask if they know what they're doing. Oftentimes, they don't lolololol I would never congrats someone on working as an LC (or even LA) intern...lmao

Okay then yay! I always hold off on the congratulations whenever someone's working in a public official's office until I ask if they know what they're doing. Oftentimes, they don't lolololol I would never congrats someone on working as an LC (or even LA) intern...lmao
Yeah -- thankfully they were very transparent in what they have interns doing. I really wish more positions were like this.