Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bummer... another put on hold at another school today. Starting to get worried with my single II. This cycle is so emotionally draining haha.

I'm sorry to hear that :( but there are still many many months to go!!!! Don't lose hope!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
bummer... another put on hold at another school today. Starting to get worried with my single II. This cycle is so emotionally draining haha.

Fingers crossed for you!! Most of the heavy hitters in here applied super early (all apps complete in July) so it's definitely skewed. And you only need one II to get an acceptance ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear that :( but there are still many many months to go!!!! Don't lose hope!
Fingers crossed for you!! Most of the heavy hitters in here applied super early (all apps complete in July) so it's definitely skewed. And you only need one II to get an acceptance ;)

Thank you for the encouragement! I just need to be more patient.

Reactions: 1 users
Eeeep. UCSD sends out decisions tomorrow. I guess I'll get to see how my first (and only) MMI went. :scared:

Did you guys see the massive NASA rocket explosion from yesterday? I had several colleagues who went out to Wallops to see their experiments launch. :( Thankfully, nobody was hurt and the ISS astronauts got their food shipment today. No matter how crappy the app cycle can be, at least I haven't had my projects blown up.... yet.

Thank you for the encouragement! I just need to be more patient.

I have my fingers crossed for you! This process is so mysterious and (frankly) aggravating. I can't wait until we're all on the other side, with acceptances in hand, and ready to start our next four years of study.

Admittedly, we'll soon be whining about the amount of studying we have... but eh, such is life.

Eeeep. UCSD sends out decisions tomorrow. I guess I'll get to see how my first (and only) MMI went. :scared:

Did you guys see the massive NASA rocket explosion from yesterday? I had several colleagues who went out to Wallops to see their experiments launch. :( Thankfully, nobody was hurt and the ISS astronauts got their food shipment today. No matter how crappy the app cycle can be, at least I haven't had my projects blown up.... yet.

I have my fingers crossed for you! This process is so mysterious and (frankly) aggravating. I can't wait until we're all on the other side, with acceptances in hand, and ready to start our next four years of study.

Admittedly, we'll soon be whining about the amount of studying we have... but eh, such is life.
We watched it in the lab I'm in. It went from cheering to really awkward...

Random quick question! How do you customize/change font on mdapplicants? aka strike through, bold etc? Thanks!

Good luck with the UCSD decisions! I watched the video last night, and the silence on the radio afterwards was so sad. I read some posts from students who had worked on the projects on the rocket, and they were so shocked and distressed -- I really feel for them, I can't imagine months and years of work just disappearing like that. You just never know if you'll get another chance to include your work on a flight, which is what's so awful. But, thank goodness nobody was on board, that would have been catastrophic.

Stay strong M12B! I know it is hard, I was in your shoes last cycle (minus your 1 interview). Plus, your stats are much better than mine! I'm sure you will get more IIs soon :):luck:

I have faith in you! You are nice and awesome and I'm sure it will work out! :)
Stay strong M12B! I know it is hard, I was in your shoes last cycle (minus your 1 interview). Plus, your stats are much better than mine! I'm sure you will get more IIs soon :):luck:

Thank you! You guys are the best! Class of 2019 is full of truly wonderful future physicians!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just heard a med student tell a room of premeds that if you get invited to an interview, then you have the same chance as every other interviewer of getting in.

lol

I just heard a med student tell a room of premeds that if you get invited to an interview, then you have the same chance as every other interviewer of getting in.

lol

I think this is more true at some schools than others. Some of the deans on my visits have emphasised that the interview is really the most important factor in determining whether or not you're accepted, and that your grades and MCAT score no longer matter once you're invited to interview. At other schools, I don't think this is true at all. It's really hard to make generalized statements about things like that.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this is more true at some schools than others. Some of the deans on my visits have emphasised that the interview is really the most important factor in determining whether or not you're accepted, and that your grades and MCAT score no longer matter once you're invited to interview. At other schools, I don't think this is true at all. It's really hard to make generalized statements about things like that.
The LizzyM stair analogy really doesn't support it. So we do have evidence of the contrary!

That's what I meant. Any hand waving generalization like what is going to be wrong 100% of the time.

That being said, though, 4% of statistics are made up or remembered incorrectly by the people posting them.

That's what I meant. Any hand waving generalization like what is going to be wrong 100% of the time.

That being said, though, 4% of statistics are made up or remembered incorrectly by the people posting them.
I thought it was 85.34% of statistics?

Guys, I know I have generally been pro-student host for the interview trail. Student hosts are great, lodging is free, and they give you valuable insight to a school while typically walking you to class in the morning.

That being said. I have my first pre interview hotel room. And I GET TO SLEEP IN A BED. In a quiet clean nicely lit space, and I get to go to bed and wake up when I want and not feel bad about it. And there's room service! Hotels are a great thing. (I think I would do this a lot more regularly if I wasn't broke)

Reactions: 9 users
Guys, I know I have generally been pro-student host for the interview trail. Student hosts are great, lodging is free, and they give you valuable insight to a school while typically walking you to class in the morning.

That being said. I have my first pre interview hotel room. And I GET TO SLEEP IN A BED. In a quiet clean nicely lit space, and I get to go to bed and wake up when I want and not feel bad about it. And there's room service! Hotels are a great thing. (I think I would do this a lot more regularly if I wasn't broke)

Agreed! Both are wonderful for different reasons! I like having my own space and being able to spread out and do what I want, but being in a hotel means paying money and not getting that student perspective :(

Enjoy your hotel, and have a great interview tomorrow!!! :D

originaldreamsfgiantstime20121010162003userid1909.jpg

http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_26821624/taylor-swift-will-win-giants-world-series ;)

Edit: double post

Last edited:
Random quick question! How do you customize/change font on mdapplicants? aka strike through, bold etc? Thanks!

MDApps uses html so any html code will work:
<s>struck through text </s>
<b>bolded</b>
<font size=3>stuff</font>
<fontcolor="red">red text</font> ; instead of a color you can insert an html hex code for any of the bajillions of options the internetz offers

Different font styles are beyond me. I think you have to use CSS (cascading style sheets) which formats things...some other fancy way lol
something like <p style="font-family:calibri">calibri stuff</p> but you can put multiple formatting (size, color, etc) into this same <> strip. Good luck!

<b>bolded</b>
<fontcolor="red">red text</font> ; instead of a color you can insert an html hex code for any of the bajillions of options the internetz offers

Different font styles are beyond me. I think you have to use CSS (cascading style sheets) which formats things...some other fancy way lol
something like <p style="font-family:calibri">calibri stuff</p> but you can put multiple formatting (size, color, etc) into this same <> strip. Good luck!
You are awesome ty:bow:!!! I was trying to make it fancy like some of the other members hehe!:D

<b>bolded</b>

When I was younger I was relatively "fluent" in HTML due to my strong passion for personalizing my neopets' pages.

Reactions: 13 users
Been MIA travelling, with a Mayo interview on Monday and NYC on Wednesday. Flew on Tuesday night (my birthday!) and flew back/drove back home to my little lovely middle of nowhere last night around 11 pm. I am pooped, but seeing this thread has injected me with fresh energy and happiness. You all are awesome, and don't you forget it!!! There are sooooo many messages I want to quote! I'm beaming so much to see how sweet you all are to me :) :love: :biglove:

I just have to quote the absolute highlights because otherwise this massive message will be positively ginormous :D

Let's all wish the amazing @researchismymiddlename a very Happy Birthday!!!!
(Not sure why I chose that specific Taylor gif :laugh: It just seemed appropriate for the occasion :D).

And of course, we all know that you'll be magnificent at your Cornell interview tomorrow!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I'm blushing :oops: Awwww what a sweet GIF, driving home from Mayo on Monday night I listened to "Shake It Off" on the radio. I wondered, "Who sings this catchy lovely song?" only to realize when I heard some parts that this was T Swift. I love her music whenever I accidentally come across it.

The interview went really well!! I can't wait to post a summary on my MDApps! I loved the school and my interviewers, but let's just say I've been very spoiled in the Midwest, and I'm a little worried about the dorms... @hellanutella and @Copernicium I'd love to hear what you thought!

That's a good gif :)

Yes yes yes HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO @researchismymiddlename !!!! YOU'RE A FREAKING ROCKSTAR and I love your presence on this thread and in my life!!! You bring so much joy and positivity to everything you do and I'm so excited to see what you accomplish :biglove::claps::highfive::bow::soexcited::clap::woot::banana:

Awww I'm teary eyed now :oops: Me too oh my gosh! It's like you're talking to a mirror, because I see these same features in you! Seriously, can't imagine this thread without you!! Did I every tell you that I followed you into this thread? i.e. after our first conversation in the Duke thread, I found that you posted a lot in this thread and then decided to join? You and @Cyberdyne 101 made me feel so welcome here! Thank you!!! :D :biglove:

Happy Birthday @researchismymiddlename!!!!!!!! I hope you're out celebrating, dancing, and eating lots of tasty things!! :hardy: Youngster, huh? I'm usually the youngest of all my classmates and friends, so perhaps we're close in age!

@Cyberdyne 101, I love your tswift gifs. I thought of you yesterday because I bought my friend a mini tswift calendar as a somewhat joke gift for his birthday. You would most certainly approve of it. He's obsessed with her music and we love seriously examining her lyrics and videos by supplying dramatic commentary and the occasional sarcastic remark. It's great fun, usually ending with us belting out songs in the car.

@Sirphillup, I hope that second look tab means what it meant for others in the PSU thread -- that would be amazing news!! Fingers crossed for you!!

I had dinner at this Italian restaurant 2 blocks away from the hotel I stayed at. It was really authentic and delicious!! I turned 20 :( So long, teen years!

Just wanted to say that @researchismymiddlename is even more wonderful and awesome in person :)

Aww man! You beat me to the punch! I was going to say how awesome it was to meet you in person first! I really enjoyed talking to such a witty and remarkable individual!

And guys can you believe that @Copernicium shared a birthday we me on Tuesday?! I got a little too excited and told him, "Do you know we share a birthday with Julia Roberts?" She's my favorite actress (hey! I said I was a hopeless romantic before, so don't hate on me ;))

@Copernicium says: "Well, I do now!" :D

Wholeheartedly agreed!!! :) Did you guys have an awesome Cornell visit?!

Aww thank you! :oops: I loved Cornell, and as touched upon earlier, I'm a little worried about the living situation. Of course that's what you get in Manhattan but I need to do some soul searching to see if I will be happy in that environment, because although I learnt that don't mind big cities, I prefer smaller towns anyway. I think the decision rests on Mayo, and any other schools that choose to invite me for interviews!

I'm touched so much by your comments, and all your comments in this thread! This is so unbelievably sweet of you all. I can't express my joy in words.

Reactions: 3 users
Gahhh how did I not know this????? Happy Birthday @researchismymiddlename !!!!! You are so beyond sweet and awesome. Also you make me feel like less of a youngster!! Best of luck with Cornell. You will kill it :D

I saw I forgot to quote this sweet message! I would so so so love if you and @sunflower18 and I could be the three Medschoolteers at Mayo! Or if we all end up in NYC, that'd be awesome too ;)

THANK YOU!!! You are an amazing presence on this thread, you're funny and encouraging, you give great advice and @sunflower18 says you're such a warm person :love: I loved hearing the story about your first acceptance ;)

Thanks for the luck, it went really well! And good luck to you too with hearing back from the dozens of schools you interviewed at, my fellow youngster ;)

I saw I forgot to quote this sweet message! I would so so so love if you and @sunflower18 and I could be the three Medschoolteers at Mayo! Or if we all end up in NYC, that'd be awesome too ;)

THANK YOU!!! You are an amazing presence on this thread, you're funny and encouraging, you give great advice and @sunflower18 says you're such a warm person :love: I loved hearing the story about your first acceptance ;)

Thanks for the luck, it went really well! And good luck to you too with hearing back from the dozens of schools you interviewed at, my fellow youngster ;)
I see she has been telling you my plans of how we can all be best friends, which would definitely be awesome! Mayo would be great (of course) but with @hellanutella at Sinai and @No Limits at Columbia we could really have a group! :D

Aww well thank you! The same can be said for you! @sunflower18 says you are the nicest person she has met which means I have some work to do ;) But yes! I'm glad my first acceptance was...memorable...

I'm glad! I hope you keep getting good news! Its funny because if I hadn't been able to fix my travel arrangement last minute I may have been in your interview group at Mayo! But we really are showing that us youngins can be just as interesting ;) Except without a pending PhD I am far from your level!

Reactions: 4 users
Taking a page from @hellanutella's book and writing a birthday supplication... but I doubt I'll be as lucky as her and get a UCSF II like when she posted hers up! LOL

----------------------------------------------

A Neurotic Pre-med's Birthday Wish

In July I applied
To 21 schools
Anxiously waiting
Worrying like a fool

First news was a rejection
And that made me fret
Where did I go wrong?
I had a list of regrets

Until hearing from Pitt
When I became teary-eyed
Cornell was next to invite me
Hello, Upper East Side!

And then I heard back from schools
That were close to my heart
Iowa and Kentucky
I loved from the start

But then 7 weeks of silence
Had me slightly nervous
Until Mayo surprised me
At this point, I was wordless

I turned 20 today
And visited all 5
Rejected from 3
Still waiting on 9

I’m thrilled to have diverse options
But I still hope to explore
Just a little more this cycle
Is that too much to ask for?

I am truly grateful and happy
With my incredible school visits
But I don’t want my cycle to be over
My patience is reaching its limit

And the worst of them yet
Are the silent rejections
I'd much rather know now
If we don't have a connecton

Please, the one-who-doles-out-II’s
Be touched by my small plea
This is my birthday wish
I hope you listen, even if it’s out of pity

----------------------------------------------

Note that because I was so so so happy with my Mayo interview, my poem I wrote above is spoken with little truth and mostly humor. Because if I get a Mayo acceptance, my life will be complete. I'm sending them a letter of interest tomorrow!

Well... if I could just hear from Duke... hmm... ;)
Cheers to human nature!

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
I see she has been telling you my plans of how we can all be best friends, which would definitely be awesome! Mayo would be great (of course) but with @hellanutella at Sinai and @No Limits at Columbia we could really have a group! :D

Aww well thank you! The same can be said for you! @sunflower18 says you are the nicest person she has met which means I have some work to do ;) But yes! I'm glad my first acceptance was...memorable...

I'm glad! I hope you keep getting good news! Its funny because if I hadn't been able to fix my travel arrangement last minute I may have been in your interview group at Mayo! But we really are showing that us youngins can be just as interesting ;) Except without a pending PhD I am far from your level!

Yes! And I love that plan!!!

I hope we both keep getting good news! I loved my Mayo interview group, we all had such a great time laughing and conversing. I felt real chemistry with them. Mayo is my top choice thus far. In my text conversations with @sunflower18 she says I sound like her now ;) She was very smart to see Mayo's awesomeness from the very start, and I was a fool not to quite capture the awesomeness of Mayo until my interview day.

And aww shucks! A PhD is like a glorified thesis!

Yes! And I love that plan!!!

I hope we both keep getting good news! I loved my Mayo interview group, we all had such a great time laughing and conversing. I felt real chemistry with them. Mayo is my top choice thus far. In my text conversations with @sunflower18 she says I sound like her now ;) She was very smart to see Mayo's awesomeness from the very start, and I was a fool not to quite capture the awesomeness of Mayo until my interview day.

And aww shucks! A PhD is like a glorified thesis!
Yes Mayo is amazing and the only place I would consider putting up with such awful weather. Because it is literally perfect! :) We ranked Mayo on the same level as Harry Potter so it has to be great!!

Maybe 3 years more work at least though! Plus a bit longer than my thesis ;)

Been MIA travelling, with a Mayo interview on Monday and NYC on Wednesday. Flew on Tuesday night (my birthday!) and flew back/drove back home to my little lovely middle of nowhere last night around 11 pm. I am pooped, but seeing this thread has injected me with fresh energy and happiness. You all are awesome, and don't you forget it!!! There are sooooo many messages I want to quote! I'm beaming so much to see how sweet you all are to me :) :love: :biglove:

I just have to quote the absolute highlights because otherwise this massive message will be positively ginormous :D

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I'm blushing :oops: Awwww what a sweet GIF, driving home from Mayo on Monday night I listened to "Shake It Off" on the radio. I wondered, "Who sings this catchy lovely song?" only to realize when I heard some parts that this was T Swift. I love her music whenever I accidentally come across it.

The interview went really well!! I can't wait to post a summary on my MDApps! I loved the school and my interviewers, but let's just say I've been very spoiled in the Midwest, and I'm a little worried about the dorms... @hellanutella and @Copernicium I'd love to hear what you thought!

Awww I'm teary eyed now :oops: Me too oh my gosh! It's like you're talking to a mirror, because I see these same features in you! Seriously, can't imagine this thread without you!! Did I every tell you that I followed you into this thread? i.e. after our first conversation in the Duke thread, I found that you posted a lot in this thread and then decided to join? You and @Cyberdyne 101 made me feel so welcome here! Thank you!!! :D :biglove:

I had dinner at this Italian restaurant 2 blocks away from the hotel I stayed at. It was really authentic and delicious!! I turned 20 :( So long, teen years!

Aww man! You beat me to the punch! I was going to say how awesome it was to meet you in person first! I really enjoyed talking to such a witty and remarkable individual!

And guys can you believe that @Copernicium shared a birthday we me on Tuesday?! I got a little too excited and told him, "Do you know we share a birthday with Julia Roberts?" She's my favorite actress (hey! I said I was a hopeless romantic before, so don't hate on me ;))

@Copernicium says: "Well, I do now!" :D

Aww thank you! :oops: I loved Cornell, and as touched upon earlier, I'm a little worried about the living situation. Of course that's what you get in Manhattan but I need to do some soul searching to see if I will be happy in that environment, because although I learnt that don't mind big cities, I prefer smaller towns anyway. I think the decision rests on Mayo, and any other schools that choose to invite me for interviews!

I'm touched so much by your comments, and all your comments in this thread! This is so unbelievably sweet of you all. I can't express my joy in words.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RiMMN! Good luck at Mayo! And I LOVED your poem. Hopefully SF shoots you an II this week!

Oh gosh, I absolutely loved Cornell. I've been trying my damnedest to put this school out of my mind, because March is so so far away! :( I don't like to post my personal rankings, but I think UCSF, Cornell, and Sinai are my Holy Trinity. I loved them all equally for their own reasons.

As for Olin... I honestly can't complain, but then again I may be an oddity. I'm currently sleeping in a twin bed (not even a twin long, and I'm 6') so I'm used to small, cramped places. My bedroom is about the size of Harry Potter's cupboard and I drive a Mini Cooper for goodness sake. And if Olin really ain't your cup of tea, keep in mind everyone moves to Lasdon's apartments for years 2-4.

The one thing I disliked about Olin was the lack of a bathtub! I don't need a huge bedroom or tons of study space, but I do like my bathtub. A year without baths would be a very bleak year indeed...

I got that a lot over the years. I hate to be a source of that feeling, but when the next young whippersnapper appears, I'll feel the same way. Scratch that, it's already happening because now my little siblings love to say they have a nonteenage older sister! :D
WAIT 20 AND A PENDING PhD?!?!?!?! :bow::bow:. Everyone is so fascinating!!! I don't know, I have a thing where I get super happy when I see other people doing BIG things haha and I don't know why, but I like it. Congrats on everyone's IIs and interview experiences!! Man it's humbling to know people like yall.

Reactions: 7 users
I just want to hug everyone on this thread!!!!! You guys are all so wonderful and kind and inspirational and I'm so incredibly lucky and happy to be a part of this community!!! I love you all!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Glad you had some good food! I recently turned 21 and am considered a "non-trad" applicant due to taking an extra year for pre-med requirements (and now a gap year with some miscellaneous classwork and fun activities during this app cycle), so it's cool to meet another "youngster." So impressive that you're getting your PhD already though!! That is some serious dedication and talent!

I love reading about your all's adventures and meetups!! I wish I could meet all of you guys, seriously. Now if only Mayo would honor me with an interview invite... I would die from happiness. I told my friend that if that happened I don't think I could leave their campus... they might have to remove me from the admissions office themselves haha. It's one of those schools that just captures your imagination and spirit, and it's so incredible that you guys have a shot at matriculating there someday! I might have to visit you guys when you're walking the streets of Rochester. :)

Ahahahah I learned html to customize myspace :laugh:

Happy belated birthday @researchismymiddlename !!! Hope you had some time to grab a slice of cake between those flights ;)

Yes! Myspace, blogs, and possibly even xanga taught me some sweet html skills haha. It does come in handy every now and then!

WAT. BOTH @sunflower18 and @claduva94 ACCEPTED TO VERMONT?

You guys are a power duo! Hope you guys loved your time in the land of Ben & Jerry's and mountainous vistas. And kudos to Vermont on the fast turnaround!

Reactions: 9 users
Congratulations on the acceptances guys!! :)

Wow quick decisions indeed! Congrats @sunflower18 and @claduva94!! That fresh Vermont air and ice cream must have been the perfect pairing to your amazing personalities on your interview day! Many congrats!

WAT. BOTH @sunflower18 and @claduva94 ACCEPTED TO VERMONT?

You guys are a power duo! Hope you guys loved your time in the land of Ben & Jerry's and mountainous vistas. And kudos to Vermont on the fast turnaround!

Thank you so much AND CONGRATS TO YOU ON UCSD!!!!!!!! That's brilliant!!!! :)