Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The intern years do look pretty different, but have quite a bit of variety within the rotations, so at least you get exposure to a lot of different cases. Plus, I guess this is a way to get straight to your main specialty interest while still training to operate within a wide array of services. Thank you for the great advice, too! This is definitely something to keep in mind, and better to have some notions (even if vague for now) of good programs that fit our interests and lifestyles sooner rather than later. Plus, it's so much fun to learn more about all of the programs, so this is pleasurable research! Ha, you're so on top of things that when they ask you "where do you see yourself in 10-20 years?" next year you'll be able to list your exact hopeful residency program. Thank you again - very wise words, and this kind of information will only grow in usefulness as the years pass! We'll have to put our heads together in several years when the match comes up (eerie that that isn't as far away as we imagine), as I'm sure by then we'll have good information to pass on and you'll have picked out the perfect thoracic surgery program and will have even more good advice!

On an unrelated note, remember I said that I was going to gift my friend a tswift calendar for his birthday? Well, in addition to that and his main presents, I made his birthday card look like the 1989 album cover with his initials and birth year instead, and of course there is a polaroid-framed hipster-ish photograph on the front. I even put a song list on the back, except each "song" is an inside joke. I've been waiting to get to the computer all day so that I could share this with you, because I had a feeling you'd really like this idea! I couldn't find singing cards, but I think this turned out even better and it looks surprisingly authentic.

You're an amazing friend!!!!! Wow

Congrats on finishing your interview @joonage!!! I'm sure you did wonderfully and I'm so excited to hear your good news in the upcoming weeks!!!

Hahaha thanks @claduva94 -- I appreciate it :) I'm so shocked and grateful about how this cycle is going! Never did I expect five acceptances by early November, wow. I'm extremely thankful that my schools believe in me! And thanks so much to everyone here for the constant support and kindness :biglove:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Nice to have an option close to home :D

Awwww hahaha thank you!!!!! Yes the campus is quite unique indeed.... You were actually pretty close! They're called trams ;) when I worked there one summer, I would ride the tram up and down over and over for fun on my lunch breaks. Cool kid over here.

I would be right up there with you ;) I did a ton of stuff like that in undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
And @Heplayer92 what a speech! You will make an amazing physician and counselor to your patients. Brilliant.

@joonage Post-interview autopsies never end well!!! We are all our worst critics.

@Pedsmdplease I know what you mean. It can feel anticlimactic :p I'm sure that for me, at least, tears will roll out at the White Coat ceremonies!!! :D

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just want to say thank you and congrats to everyone!!!! I got into my #1 and #2 school :) still waiting to hear from 14 more schools. I'm tempted to wait for them since I paid that money for the secondary but I want to give other people a shot so I'm gonna withdraw from the ones I can! Also @Pedsmdplease , I hope this isn't too awkward having the same avatar and all... this is the year of the penguins! :D

Congratulations!! That's amazing!!!! You must feel so relieved and excited :)

officially a member wahoooo!!!!!

Reactions: 11 users
Just want to say thank you and congrats to everyone!!!! I got into my #1 and #2 school :) still waiting to hear from 14 more schools. I'm tempted to wait for them since I paid that money for the secondary but I want to give other people a shot so I'm gonna withdraw from the ones I can! Also @Pedsmdplease , I hope this isn't too awkward having the same avatar and all... this is the year of the penguins! :D

EDIT: Changed my avatar for you @Pedsmdplease ;)
Aw man you could've kept it! Clearly it's been good luck this cycle :)

Reactions: 1 user

EDIT: Changed my avatar for you @Pedsmdplease ;)

Congratulations!!! So happy for you!!!!!

do any of you know when the day everyone holding multiple acceptances has to choose 1 school is? April 30th? I think last year it was May 15th?

do any of you know when the day everyone holding multiple acceptances has to choose 1 school is? April 30th? I think last year it was May 15th?

Yes, you are correct. It is April 30th this year. It has been May 15th in the past.

24vpr3c.png

I'm a strong match for lots of things..... including Rad Onc!!! WOOO :)
And for PM&R!!
UW has one of the best rehab programs in the country. It also offers a lot of fellowships.
http://rehab.washington.edu/education/residency/default.asp
http://rehab.washington.edu/education/fellowship/
PM&R is often the specialty that doctors "wish they knew more about" as med students.
And it needs people like you!
(Just keep this in mind ;))

Last edited:
Aaaannnnnddddddd rejected from ECU. What does it say about an applicant who can't even get into one of their own state schools?

*Insert really long emotional rant here*

It's gonna be a long ER shift today. :(

For those of you with low gpas and average MCAT scores (in relation to schools you're applying to), who haven't published or started an organization or done anything else amazing, don't lose hope! That person was me a few months ago, when I almost didn't apply to UVA because I thought I was nowhere near good enough for them. But today I was accepted, with a science gpa that's over 0.3 lower than their accepted average, cgpa also lower, and MCAT right at the average. You never know until you try! Below is something I wrote last night, when I never would have expected to get in. It's long, but I'm posting it because even behind people who seem really successful and put-together, the self-doubt is there. So, it's okay to doubt yourself at times, but just know that in the end, things usually turn out better than you think.

--

The period of time between getting your first acceptance and starting med school is supposed to be the last time in your life that you’re able to fully relax pretty much until you retire, but I can’t relax right now. I’m finding out from UVA tomorrow, but I wish I weren’t because it’s making me too anxious to focus on doing anything. I wish that the notification could be in December or January, like the other schools that I’ve interviewed at, so I wouldn’t think about it now. Clearly that pumpkin spice latte this afternoon was a mistake, because although it kept me more awake through class, it also made me even more anxious than before. Reading SDN hasn’t helped, because there’s complete silence on the UVA thread and I don’t really care about any of the other threads right now.

I should really just stop worrying and move on with my life, because I probably won’t get in. My luck is going to run out now, I know it. I’ve been way too lucky for the most part throughout my premed journey and application cycle, and I’m unwilling to believe that it will continue. Getting an interview invite from UVA was already beyond anything I could have imagined or hoped for this cycle, when my science gpa is 3.5_ and their average is 3.87. Even when I was interviewing there, with my name tag on, I felt like an imposter because I didn’t know what they saw in me to offer me an interview. Everyone else was so smart and accomplished, and then there was me. Yes, I have a 36 MCAT, but I’m telling you, it’s purely because I got lucky. Extremely lucky. Having the opportunity to visit the school, eat its delicious lunch and interact with its friendly students has already been incredible enough, and I can’t ask for anything more. I probably won’t get an acceptance tomorrow, but if that acceptance goes to someone more qualified than me, someone who is still waiting for their first acceptance, someone who worked harder than me for the past few years, I would be happy. Someone else out there deserves this more than I do, and anyway, I already have an acceptance. Of course I’m still trying to get into a better school, but the truth is that no matter where you go, there’s always going to be a better school unless you go to Harvard, JHU, or WashU. If I get into UVA I would wish that my gpa and MCAT could be just a little higher so I could go to a school like Michigan or Columbia, in the same way that I would wish I could go to a school like UVA if I went to EVMS. There’s no difference. The only difference is that if UVA accepts a better candidate than you, it would be better for them. In the long run, it really doesn’t make much difference whether you went to EVMS or UVA for med school, so just stop worrying about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you with low gpas and average MCAT scores (in relation to schools you're applying to), who haven't published or started an organization or done anything else amazing, don't lose hope! That person was me a few months ago, when I almost didn't apply to UVA because I thought I was nowhere near good enough for them. But today I was accepted, with a science gpa that's over 0.3 lower than their accepted average, cgpa also lower, and MCAT right at the average. You never know until you try! Below is something I wrote last night, when I never would have expected to get in. It's long, but I'm posting it because even behind people who seem really successful and put-together, the self-doubt is there. So, it's okay to doubt yourself at times, but just know that in the end, things usually turn out better than you think.

--

The period of time between getting your first acceptance and starting med school is supposed to be the last time in your life that you’re able to fully relax pretty much until you retire, but I can’t relax right now. I’m finding out from UVA tomorrow, but I wish I weren’t because it’s making me too anxious to focus on doing anything. I wish that the notification could be in December or January, like the other schools that I’ve interviewed at, so I wouldn’t think about it now. Clearly that pumpkin spice latte this afternoon was a mistake, because although it kept me more awake through class, it also made me even more anxious than before. Reading SDN hasn’t helped, because there’s complete silence on the UVA thread and I don’t really care about any of the other threads right now.

I should really just stop worrying and move on with my life, because I probably won’t get in. My luck is going to run out now, I know it. I’ve been way too lucky for the most part throughout my premed journey and application cycle, and I’m unwilling to believe that it will continue. Getting an interview invite from UVA was already beyond anything I could have imagined or hoped for this cycle, when my science gpa is 3.5_ and their average is 3.87. Even when I was interviewing there, with my name tag on, I felt like an imposter because I didn’t know what they saw in me to offer me an interview. Everyone else was so smart and accomplished, and then there was me. Yes, I have a 36 MCAT, but I’m telling you, it’s purely because I got lucky. Extremely lucky. Having the opportunity to visit the school, eat its delicious lunch and interact with its friendly students has already been incredible enough, and I can’t ask for anything more. I probably won’t get an acceptance tomorrow, but if that acceptance goes to someone more qualified than me, someone who is still waiting for their first acceptance, someone who worked harder than me for the past few years, I would be happy. Someone else out there deserves this more than I do, and anyway, I already have an acceptance. Of course I’m still trying to get into a better school, but the truth is that no matter where you go, there’s always going to be a better school unless you go to Harvard, JHU, or WashU. If I get into UVA I would wish that my gpa and MCAT could be just a little higher so I could go to a school like Michigan or Columbia, in the same way that I would wish I could go to a school like UVA if I went to EVMS. There’s no difference. The only difference is that if UVA accepts a better candidate than you, it would be better for them. In the long run, it really doesn’t make much difference whether you went to EVMS or UVA for med school, so just stop worrying about it.

CONGRATS!!! =D You're very right, you never know unless you try. You must have been very very impressive at your interview as well :soexcited:

Aaaannnnnddddddd rejected from ECU. What does it say about an applicant who can't even get into one of their own state schools?

Keep your head up bud! You still got 2 schools to hear back from, and many more schools that have yet to offer you an II. It's November and you've done 4 interviews, you're already in a very solid place. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Exceptions, however awesome, do not make the norm. Exceptionalism is not a virtue, but a vice.

And because of SDN, I always wonder if the person getting in with 'low' stats is a URM.

C'est la vie.

I promise you, I was neither extremely impressive at my interview nor am I an URM. Everything in my MDapps is 100% true except I left out the last digits of my gpas to preserve some anonymity. I will say that I thought my UVA interview was one of my best two, the other one being EVMS, but it was by no means exceptional to the point of being offered an acceptance just because of that. I'm still confused by their decision, but at the same time obviously very happy, haha.

I promise you, I was neither extremely impressive at my interview nor am I an URM. Everything in my MDapps is 100% true except I left out the last digits of my gpas to preserve some anonymity. I will say that I thought my UVA interview was one of my best two, the other one being EVMS, but it was by no means exceptional to the point of being offered an acceptance just because of that. I'm still confused by their decision, but at the same time obviously very happy, haha.
Wahoowa! Congrats! I probably walked past you on your interview day. The admissions office taunts me.

Condolences :( But does it mean you are especially due for an acceptance from UNC? You are a great applicant and you still have pending decisions. You can't win them all but that doesn't mean at all that you won't win any.

Reactions: 4 users
Wahoowa! Congrats! I probably walked past you on your interview day. The admissions office taunts me.

Condolences :( But does it mean you are especially due for an acceptance from UNC? You are a great applicant and you still have pending decisions. You can't win them all but that doesn't mean at all that you won't win any.
Doesn't feel that way. There's a reason only 43% of applicants every year get accepted anywhere.

I realize this is far easier said than done, but don't think about the rejection. ECU is a primary care oriented school (that's not very selective) and they probably figured that other places will accept you.

You've done extraordinary work as a pre-med and the rewards are coming!

I realize this is far easier said than done, but don't think about the rejection. ECU is a primary care oriented school (that's not very selective) and they probably figured that other places will accept you.

You've done extraordinary work as a pre-med and the rewards are coming!
You see, I absolutely despise that kind of thinking. It might be fine for superstar applicants, but not for some average dude like me. You don't know that they're not very selective. As of 11/1, they had like 800 applications, 240 interviews done, and only 30 admission offers.

I'm so sorry @Ace Khalifa.... Im really hoping that you get good news soon, because you're a stellar applicant and I'm confident you'll be an excellent physician. My thoughts are with you :(

You see, I absolutely despise that kind of thinking. It might be fine for superstar applicants, but not for some average dude like me. You don't know that they're not very selective. As of 11/1, they had like 800 applications, 240 interviews done, and only 30 admission offers.
The average MCAT for their 2018 (and 2017) class is 6 points below yours! You are well above their average.
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/bsomadmissions/profiles.cfm

You're not an average applicant, keep your self esteem up, I'm sure you'll hear good news soon.

I do not want anyone to keep telling me I'm a "stellar" applicant or "above average." If that were the case, I would have had multiple early II's like all of y'all and multiple acceptances already. That is my definition of being a "stellar" or "superstar" or "above average" applicant. I don't fit that criteria. Y'all do.

EDIT: Ugh this anger sucks. Sorry about that. I applied for Chief Scribe on my team, so we'll see how that goes. At least it will add something to my reapp portfolio, which is looking ever more real now.

Last edited:
I do not want anyone to keep telling me I'm a "stellar" applicant or "above average." If that were the case, I would have had multiple early II's like all of y'all and multiple acceptances already. That is my definition of being a "stellar" or "superstar" or "above average" applicant. I don't fit that criteria. Y'all do.

It's absolutely okay to feel hurt and bitter and frustrated right now. I'm a big believer in letting yourself feel whatever emotions a particular situation elicits instead of trying to push them away or bottle them up, since I think it's healthier and more genuine. But at some point, after the initial sting has dulled, I hope that you will regain confidence and optimism. The cycle is not over and there is still time left for great news to come your way, even though it might not feel like that today. I also hope that you will come to realize that we are here to support you and believe in you, and that we are posting because we care. While you might not believe that you're "stellar" or "above average" right now, we are saying those things because we think they are true. So I will stop telling you how I feel about your application, per your request, but I won't stop believing in the validity of those statements. Because that's what friends are for! They're confident in your ability to succeed, even when you doubt it yourself.

Reactions: 9 users

EDIT: Ugh this anger sucks. Sorry about that. I applied for Chief Scribe on my team, so we'll see how that goes. At least it will add something to my reapp portfolio, which is looking ever more real now.
The reality is you have interview invites, which indicates your application is doing something right. I empathize with your situation and could not imagine the stress you are going through. But please remember: while 57% of people don't get in anywhere, a large portion of them do not have the scores and experiences you do. They have red flags (bad LORs, no clinical experience, low GPA, low MCAT, etc.). Based on your invites, that is clearly not the case. It's not over until it's over and you still have decisions pending. You also have ample time to get more IIs. You have to stay optimistic or else the cycle becomes even more of a killer. I believe in you and so do the rest of us.

Reactions: 8 users
Seconded. We've worked for this since high school/earlier for this moment...and it has resulted in something tangible. I feel like it was so easy to get caught in school and applying and volunteering and research with the ultimate goal of getting into medical school (and benefitting humanity along the way, of course :nod:)...even dreaming of this moment. We all have days when we feel down, and unmotivated...days when we question if what we're pursuing is even a possibility...the highs and lows of undergrad and beyond...the roller coaster of a ride this application cycle has been already...

And now we're here. We made it. Validated with a phone call/email/snail mail. At the same time, it just doesn't seem real. The only way I can describe it is that it is beyond words how much this opportunity means to me (and I'm sure all of you as well)...and slowly, I'm beginning to realize, that the journey has just begun. We asked for the chance, were accepted to answer the call, and now must step up to the plate. I think reality will hit soon. In all honesty, I'm enjoying this moment of limbo...before the whirlwind of medical training actually begins.

One of my favorite videos that helped me this interview cycle was this: and he says this (more of less)..."once you get into medical school...it's not about you anymore...it's all about your patients." I think he hit the nail on the head.

Once again, it's a huge congratulations to us all who have gotten in so far, and I know that many others reading this will hear back soon. Regardless of how real this seems or not, it is an incredible feeling of humility and privilege-- there are people out there who think that we will be fantastic physicians...and we can't let them down, nor our future patients either :)

That was incredible! Thank you so much for sharing that video.

Listen to what @claduva94 said about being optimistic. There's no reason to make your days any more difficult, especially after all of the work you've put in.

And look, I understand the importance of remaining grounded and realistic during this process. However, it's absolutely appropriate to visualize yourself as a med student in the near future because it will happen. Honestly, since I've been on SDN, you've been one of the pre-meds that has impressed me the most. And trust me, I don't just say stuff like that to anyone.

Relax, stay positive, and enjoy your weekend!!

Reactions: 5 users
Listen to what @claduva94 said about being optimistic. There's no reason to make your days any more difficult, especially after all of the work you've put in.

And look, I understand the importance of remaining grounded and realistic during this process. However, it's absolutely appropriate to visualize yourself as a med student in the near future because it will happen. Honestly, since I've been on SDN, you've been one of the pre-meds that has impressed me the most. And trust me, I don't just say stuff like that to anyone.

Relax, stay positive, and enjoy your weekend!!
I hope you didn't mean that it was a mistake to apply for Chief Scribe. I know it's a lot of work, but I am not going to enter 2015 without improving myself in some manner.

How have I impressed you? Specific examples would be nice.

And thanks. I am slowly starting to feel better. The doctor I'm working with today gave me a nice little pep talk.

I know you weren't talking to me but this is why:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. My main reason for wanting to become a physician is definitely to continue my passion and commitment to service. Yes, science is fascinating. Yes, research is important for medical advances. Yes, job security and salary (depending on specialty) are quite good compared to other professions. But medicine is a service profession, first and foremost. I know that I will be living a fulfilling life if I spend it helping patients overcome their medical problems. I really dislike it when people who need assistance or advice do not receive it. I want to spend the rest of my life helping others who seek it and making sure my service truly helps people get back to a state in which they can continue bettering themselves and live a happy, prosperous life. I am going to make it clear to my interviewers that this is why I'm going into medicine, along with a slight enjoyment of learning about science and wanting to become a better leader.

-"And I have hope that I will become a great, kind, caring doctor in the future. You can't make it anywhere without hope"
- Ace Khalifa (aka one of my favorite posters) (Med school admissions are hypocritical)

Reactions: 12 users
I know you weren't talking to me but this is why:

-"And I have hope that I will become a great, kind, caring doctor in the future. You can't make it anywhere without hope"
- Ace Khalifa (aka one of my favorite posters) (Med school admissions are hypocritical)
That awkward moment when you post so much on SDN forums that you don't remember every little thing you posted. That second awkward moment when you didn't use those specific words to answer why medicine during your actual interviews.

I hope you didn't mean that it was a mistake to apply for Chief Scribe. I know it's a lot of work, but I am not going to enter 2015 without improving myself in some manner.

And thanks. I am slowly starting to feel better. The doctor I'm working with today gave me a nice little pep talk.
It wasn't about applying for the Chief Scribe position. Do it!
Just earlier, you mentioned another app cycle, and this one is far from over. I was referring to that.

Unlike many others on SDN, you've demonstrated a genuine willingness to help patients. You're clearly not doing this for self-aggrandizement. Also, you're adamant about putting in the necessary work to achieve the best results as a med student and physician. And aside from your volunteering, you've managed to slay 2 dragons as a pre-med:
Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Dragons.jpg

The MCAT (with a 36!) and a pre-med curriculum at Wash U.

We're all proud of you!! Stay optimistic!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats on all of the recent acceptances and IIs!!! I'm trying to feed off of everyone's positivity :) I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

:whistle:...it's only November... it's only November... it's only November... just have to keep telling myself that to keep from going mad! I also have to keep checking last year's school threads to reassure myself that indeed, applicants do receive IIs in November, December and January... I'm crossing my fingers for my fellow class of 2019 hopefuls still awaiting IIs with me!!!! :xf:

Reactions: 5 users
Yes, you are correct. It is April 30th this year. It has been May 15th in the past.

So on April 30th, everyone has to choose 1 school and can only hold 1 acceptance from then on?... but then what if another school offers an acceptance off the waitlist say in May?... is that person out of luck or could he/she then swap schools? Can't schools accept off the waitlist up until orientation even?

So on April 30th, everyone has to choose 1 school and can only hold 1 acceptance from then on?... but then what if another school offers an acceptance off the waitlist say in May?... is that person out of luck or could he/she then swap schools? Can't schools accept off the waitlist up until orientation even?

Yes. After April 30, you are allowed to hold only one acceptance, but you can stay on as many waitlists as you want. If you get off a waitlist past that point, they'll give you a time limit (depends on the school and how close to matriculation the offer is -- I've heard some as short as 12 hours, some as long as two weeks) to decide which acceptance you want to hold.

Yes. After April 30, you are allowed to hold only one acceptance, but you can stay on as many waitlists as you want. If you get off a waitlist past that point, they'll give you a time limit (depends on the school and how close to matriculation the offer is -- I've heard some as short as 12 hours, some as long as two weeks) to decide which acceptance you want to hold.

Awesome thanks! I wonder if financial aid packages will be sent out earlier than last year then... example Albert Einstein didn't notify about scholarships until May 1 last year, which would be too late this year. What if you chose another school and then realized you would've gotten scholarship! haha

It wasn't about applying for the Chief Scribe position. Do it!
Just earlier, you mentioned another app cycle, and this one is far from over. I was referring to that.

Unlike many others on SDN, you've demonstrated a genuine willingness to help patients. You're clearly not doing this for self-aggrandizement. Also, you're adamant about putting in the necessary work to achieve the best results as a med student and physician. And aside from your volunteering, you've managed to slay 2 dragons as a pre-med:
Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Dragons.jpg

The MCAT (with a 36!) and a pre-med curriculum at Wash U.

We're all proud of you!! Stay optimistic!!!
I have no idea how I got a 36. But it happened lol. Did you find this awesome dragon image just by a google search?

@No Limits, thank you for bringing my older posts back to light. It seems that I have forgotten the reason why I went through this process in the first place. It is really easy to get caught up in the wave of early acceptances without having one of my own. I hope that I can find myself again and regain that confidence I once had in the next few weeks.

I still hate research, tho. That's never going to change. I'm only willing to do a lot of it during med school to become competitive for residency match and enough during residency to become competitive for fellowship. After that, I don't want to have anything to do with it anymore.

Congrats on all of the recent acceptances and IIs!!! I'm trying to feed off of everyone's positivity :) I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

:whistle:...it's only November... it's only November... it's only November... just have to keep telling myself that to keep from going mad! I also have to keep checking last year's school threads to reassure myself that indeed, applicants do receive IIs in November, December and January... I'm crossing my fingers for my fellow class of 2019 hopefuls still awaiting IIs with me!!!! :xf:
Yes! It's still super early! Don't worry, an acceptance is coming your way!!

I love your positivity. Seriously though, there is still plenty of time!! Hang in there!

I have no idea how I got a 36. But it happened lol. Did you find this awesome dragon image just by a google search?

@No Limits, thank you for bringing my older posts back to light. It seems that I have forgotten the reason why I went through this process in the first place. It is really easy to get caught up in the wave of early acceptances without having one of my own. I hope that I can find myself again and regain that confidence I once had in the next few weeks.

I still hate research, tho. That's never going to change. I'm only willing to do a lot of it during med school to become competitive for residency match and enough during residency to become competitive for fellowship. After that, I don't want to have anything to do with it anymore.
They are Skyrim dragons. After you slay one, you absorb its soul.
IMG_1213-3.JPG

I highly recommend this game if you have any free time!! It is beyond amazing!!!

They are Skyrim dragons. After you slay one, you absorb its soul.
View attachment 186834
I highly recommend this game if you have any free time!! It is beyond amazing!!!
So I have a stronger soul than those who didn't slay the MCAT or Wash U premed? That's some real sh**, yo.

Welp, officially one week until the first possible day I could hear back from schools. Considering I will have only interviewed at two schools I'm not crazy optimistic, but it's tough to not feel hope that I'll hear back right away.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm sitting at two interviews also. The wait is brutal!

Also, I almost forgot! So many congrats to the recent acceptances (@youmeandthesea, I loved your post about UVa -- it definitely resonates with me). You guys rock, and I'm really excited for y'all!

As for those still waiting (@Silverflash, @Zelda840, @M12B), my thoughts are with you. The first two weeks of October, I was an absolute wreck... I would just sit on my couch and have mini panic attacks and stare through my homework because I couldn't concentrate. So I definitely empathize with you! I can't decide if waiting to hear back from schools or waiting to hear about the MCAT is worse... Either way, this whole process is a big lesson in patience. A poster much wiser than me (i.e. @claduva94) encouraged optimism earlier today, and I couldn't agree more. The wait will be the same amount of time whether or not you're a ball of panicked neuroticism (aka me) or calm and positive (aka claduva), but I can tell you definitively from the other side that one of us wasted a lot of time and shed a lot of tears for no good reason when said person could have been enjoying life a bit more (hint.... said person was me ;) ). This is something that @No Limits and I have talked a lot about too. If you feel like crying or panicking or whatever, that's fine, just don't dwell on it for too long -- emote and then pick yourself back up and keep on keeping on :) I believe in all of you guys! Everyone on this thread will be here for you no matter what, whether to celebrate or offer condolences. We're all in this together :biglove:

Reactions: 10 users

I'd caution against this 'i hate research' schtick. While I'm not a huge fan of doing bench research, clinical research especially in the forum of database research isn't terribly hard to do sometimes and has real applications in treatment comparisons and improvement.

A paper I just published was an old school rct that showed that patients that have surgery for burst features in the spine and didn't have neurological issues actually do worse than patients that were just braced. Patients have more pain and other issues after this surgery long term.

Part of the service aspect of medicine is to ensure that treatment modalities aren't harming people relative to other treatments. You can't provide the best care if you're stuck in the past or are too eager to adopt the new shiny thing.

I advise you to take a more thoughtful approach to this.

I'd caution against this 'i hate research' schtick. While I'm not a huge fan of doing bench research, clinical research especially in the forum of database research isn't terribly hard to do sometimes and has real applications in treatment comparisons and improvement.

A paper I just published was an old school rct that showed that patients that have surgery for burst features in the spine and didn't have neurological issues actually do worse than patients that were just braced. Patients have more pain and other issues after this surgery long term.

Part of the service aspect of medicine is to ensure that treatment modalities aren't harming people relative to other treatments. You can't provide the best care if you're stuck in the past or are too eager to adopt the new shiny thing.

I advise you to take a more thoughtful approach to this.
I think he was referring more to his preference for non-academic medicine. I don't take his statements as "anti-research." You can be a community and/or private practice doc and still participate in some form of clinical research. But even if you're not, it's still your responsibility to keep up on the latest literature/clinical trials. Although, it doesn't mean that you have to participate in them.

I think he was referring more to his preference for non-academic medicine. I don't take his statements as "anti-research." You can be a community and/or private practice doc and still participate in some form of clinical research. But even if you're not, it's still your responsibility to keep up on the latest literature/clinical trials. Although, it doesn't mean that you have to participate in them.

I think it's a shame not to be involved in it at some level. You don't have to make it your focus, but research/QI stuff is insanely important in medicine. Even the occasional case report helps.

Either that or being really involved in education in some other form.

My point is that, every patient you treat is data. That's not all they are, but that's what the modalities are. Creating a system where this stuff is easy to pull from the EMR makes the process of doing research pretty easy for the most part. Tracking quality of life etc, is good for practice and that data is easy to study.