Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol thanks @hellanutella! Immigrant parents too!

I have a lot of "if the me now could give the me then some advice" moments when I think of the decisions I (read 'my parents') made when we got here...

But it made for an interesting journey, so I can't complain... :happy:

For what is life, but a series of lessons learned? (Lolol)

As an aside, I was typing "dmv," into my iPhone today and it suggested "dumb" as an alternative. Methinks Apple was having a jokey-joke:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@hellanutella , hopefully our paths will cross someday and we'll be able to chat over coffee or a beer. My parents were similar, but my aunt has been here for a while and both her sons went to college here so she was the one that convinced them that I should be able to go to a LAC. That school also gave me the most money (like seriously recruited me for something that wasn't sports) so it was an easy sell.

My sister is in school closer to home now, but that's her own choice. My mom was the big driver in us moving here and the way she puts it is that she has done the best she can for our future so it's in our hands now. I'm sorry to hear that cultural expectations held you back, but I'm glad that it seems to no longer be the case. At some point, you have to sprout your own wings and live with your own expectations even if that breaks certain norms.

You have tremendous promise and you'll meet plenty of amazing people along your journey including 'interests' that will respect you for your decision making instead of hold it against you. I know it's easier for me as a man and as someone from a non-traditional family, but sometimes growing together means growing apart.

Where are you from, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm glad your family was able to have a sort of support system here in the US! It sounds like your parents really want nothing but the best for you and your siblings... which clearly puts a bit of pressure on you all, but I'm certain you guys make them very proud. Applying to medical school and garnering multiple IIs (all while remaining impeccably dressed) is no easy feat.
Wish you nothing but the best! I'm glad your cycle is still active and rolling on. You know everyone in this thread has their fingers crossed and is ready for your upcoming acceptances.

Awh, thank you. :) You're making me blush. I know I'm going to have to take the plunge (even if it proves to be very unpopular with my family), but I've always tried to be a non-confrontational/peacekeeper sort of person. And I'm Italian, hence my deeply-rooted love of Nutella. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Still remember the days in Aug during which I would panic at the thought of not having new II any after only one week. :lol:How silly. @hellanutella was very kind not to make fun of me back then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys. Bad few days. If you sent virtual hugs, I would greatly appreciate them.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys. Bad few days. If you sent virtual hugs, I would greatly appreciate them.
smiley-hug005.gif
smiley-hug001.gif
smiley-hug002.gif
smiley-hug007.gif
smiley-hug008.gif
hug-2.gif
big-hug.gif

Reactions: 8 users

Sent, via Priority Virtual Mail. I'm sad to hear that someone who does so much to support others is feeling so down herself. I hope things are all right with you soon!

Reactions: 3 users
6355091196034410611331226355_awkward-group-hug.gif

All together, now.
tumblr_inline_nc48azJXgS1rimvgk.gif

Plus an awkward Voldemort hug for good measure.

Overly priced room service before (potentially) my last interview.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1417573911.317638.jpg

*Edit* unsure why picture is sideways. sorry bout that.

Reactions: 6 users
Hugs and many, many hugs! I give so many hugs because I know that we need hugs and there were times - and quite possibly will be times - when I needed hugs. So I give the grandmother of all hugs! (Because grandmothers just give amazing hugs) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all so so so much for the love and support and hugs! It means an incredible amount to me. :biglove:

I am FLIPPING THE EFF OUT.
Just got a II at Einstein.

OMG CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's amazing!!!! :soexcited:

I still to this day don't really understand the concept of fit.

Immigrant parents (@hellanutella ) and I moved here when I was in middle school, so the idea in India was always to go to the best school you get into. They were like, "what is this fit nonsense". To a certain degree, they're right and it's marketing, but I think size and location matter.

For med school, I really don't care. Which is why the 'why this school' stuff is so hard for me. It's like... I really don't care where I go as long as it's not treading water at this point.

LOL, I can totally picture the accent with that as an Indian kid myself ;) I saw that with a couple of my fellow desi friends. Size and location definitely matter! Ultimately for me it worked out great because above all my parents wanted me to be safe, and although they wanted me to be in the local small college, I said no, I'm going to the (still safe) state school, and I'm happy they obliged.

I'm so happy on your success @ridethecliche and I hope that you find the school that best fits you!!

Interesting. Love hearing about these things, because all my friends seemed to have parents who are like "Go with your heart! Follow your dreams!" and emphasize "fit" continually.

I told my parents about "fit" and they said verbatim: "You don't go to college to be happy. You go to college to learn."

I wish they let me go to the best school possible, but they expected me to stay home and help out with childcare/finances. They have a point... I mean, I'm stupidly lucky to have received an education and I hope to never take my privilege for granted, but I was not the happiest during undergrad. There's also this prevailing cultural expectation that women are supposed to stay at home until marriage, which really made applying to med school an uphill battle. :(

I'm extremely fortunate to have acceptance(s) and I don't mean to unload my problems on an anon forum, but this sort of cultural clash is making school selection a nightmare. It's actually starting to make me really nervous for 4/30.

You're got a great perspective and you have my admiration for being such a mature and grateful person! And I had no idea that Italians deal with that... interesting!

I'm glad your family was able to have a sort of support system here in the US! It sounds like your parents really want nothing but the best for you and your siblings... which clearly puts a bit of pressure on you all, but I'm certain you guys make them very proud. Applying to medical school and garnering multiple IIs (all while remaining impeccably dressed) is no easy feat.
Wish you nothing but the best! I'm glad your cycle is still active and rolling on. You know everyone in this thread has their fingers crossed and is ready for your upcoming acceptances.

Awh, thank you. :) You're making me blush. I know I'm going to have to take the plunge (even if it proves to be very unpopular with my family), but I've always tried to be a non-confrontational/peacekeeper sort of person. And I'm Italian, hence my deeply-rooted love of Nutella. ;)

+1 totally rooting for the suave and classy @ridethecliche!

You know, I still can't believe I fell for that red blazer on blue-floral shirt thing! @onceawolverine was absolutely right in saying I was sartorially slapped :D That string of posts made me laugh out loud! One of my fondest SDN moments!!

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ my dear friend :) Sometimes the sun doesn't herself know how bright she shines or how warm she is, but the rest of the world does, we depend on it and we thrive from it :happy: Hope you find your inner sunshine again <3

Hahaha.
I forgot about that red blazer with floral shirt thing. Oh goodness.

All the hugs to you bud. Sorry guys have been MIA from this thread for a bit due to the panic of hearing from my top choice in the upcoming weeks (as well as class and FIFA 15 woo). But sunflower, when I start having bad days what I do is think of all the blessings I have in life, some recent, some not so recent, and start the mending process with some music, video games, and picking everything up at the gym. It's okay to take a step back once in a while and just treat yourself, especially if it means making you feel better. We all lead busy lives and it's hard to put that into perspective sometimes, but at some points you gotta force it. I'm rooting for you, as well as the rest of you in this thread, because y'all have kept me so sane during this crazy stressful app cycle. Hopefully being reminded of the impact you've had on others' lives can cheer you up :).

You know, I still can't believe I fell for that red blazer on blue-floral shirt thing! @onceawolverine was absolutely right in saying I was sartorially slapped :D That string of posts made me laugh out loud! One of my fondest SDN moments!!
I can't tell you how proud I am that you remember my "prepare to be sartorially slapped" comment.

Hahaha.
I forgot about that red blazer with floral shirt thing. Oh goodness.

Oh goodness indeed! LOL :oops:

I can't tell you how proud I am that you remember my "prepare to be sartorially slapped" comment.

I have a fondness for simple but articulate play of words! You write very well so it was no surprise, but dude, that phrase was unforgettable. :)

...../)/)
=( . , .)=
.o( u u)

Hugs and a warm fluffy bunny to brighten your day Sunflower! :biglove:

Just got an interview from Quinnipiac. Not totally sure I'd want to go there, but they had a date open on the 8th, i.e. this monday, so I went for it. It'll be cheap to go to since it's only 2 hrs away so I can rent a car and go there and back in the same day.

Reactions: 9 users
Just got an interview from Quinnipiac. Not totally sure I'd want to go there, but they had a date open on the 8th, i.e. this monday, so I went for it. It'll be cheap to go to since it's only 2 hrs away so I can rent a car and go there and back in the same day.
Congrats dude! Still waiting to hear from them, the school seems like it has a lot of potential. Hopefully good news.

Yeah. I'm open to it, but a coworker that interviewed both there and at Hofstra liked the latter far more.

I went to college in CT and love the area, so it's a good sell. I'll do some research about the school over the weekend.

I don't have an acceptance yet, so I'm planning to go to every interview. I'm definitely grateful to have a II, that's for sure. I had a bit of a freakout on sunday/monday so this is all great news. Now if tufts, jefferson, temple, and a few other places would throw me some december love as well!

Yeah. I'm open to it, but a coworker that interviewed both there and at Hofstra liked the latter far more.

I went to college in CT and love the area, so it's a good sell. I'll do some research about the school over the weekend.

I don't have an acceptance yet, so I'm planning to go to every interview. I'm definitely grateful to have a II, that's for sure. I had a bit of a freakout on sunday/monday so this is all great news. Now if tufts, jefferson, temple, and a few other places would throw me some december love as well!
Yeah I hear that, the last II I got was in September so I'm just hoping it's not over. Waiting to hear from Jefferson as well. Struggle is too real right now.

Yeah I hear that, the last II I got was in September so I'm just hoping it's not over. Waiting to hear from Jefferson as well. Struggle is too real right now.

Hang in there! I had a pretty long lull before I got two back to back. Starting to believe that this might work out.

Someone from my Hofstra day just got accepted and I'm starting to flip since I think my interview wasn't so hot...

Hang in there! I had a pretty long lull before I got two back to back. Starting to believe that this might work out.

Someone from my Hofstra day just got accepted and I'm starting to flip since I think my interview wasn't so hot...
Thanks man, I'm trying! Always keep hope man, that's one thing I've learned from this process. And your perception of an interview may not be the same perception the interviewer has so you really never know! Wishing all the best for you dude, you got this!

Thanks man, I'm trying! Always keep hope man, that's one thing I've learned from this process. And your perception of an interview may not be the same perception the interviewer has so you really never know! Wishing all the best for you dude, you got this!

Thanks! I just hadn't practiced much and I really botched an answer to a peer conflict question anddd I might have cursed during the interview lol. The conversational part and current events part and some other stuff of that specific interview went great though, so I guess it's time to wait and see what happens.

I did practice a bunch over break, so I feel way better about the two upcoming ones.

1. I appreciate the conversation about cultural differences. I love it when I learn something new about my colleagues that helps me understand them better. @hellanutella @ridethecliche (Also, go rock those upcoming interviews, RTC!)
2. Sending all the virtual hugs to @sunflower18! I hope you feel better soon.
3. Sorry I was gone for like 60 posts, I was sleeping on the planes yesterday and I slept all night before my EVMS interview today (which turned out great! I love their community-oriented approach, their reputation of producing strong clinicians, and their pioneering work in the use of standardized patients.).

Excited to be able to post in this group! Got my first acceptance today!

Reactions: 9 users
You don't need an acceptance to post in this group....that's not a hard fast rule.

Absolutely no acceptance required! As you can see from the post history, people rambled on years and years before even applying! ;)

Besides, we're an awesome support group for anyone floating around in application limbo.

Reactions: 7 users
As Ace and HellaNutella said, you do not need an acceptance to post here. Heck, I bet half of our posts in here are just pictures of food lol.

Now that we have that cleared up...

smiley-greet025.gif
Welcome to our thread and Congrats on your acceptance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
woohoo-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: 6 users
I've also been reading this thread for a bit. Thankfully I've managed to interview at the schools that most stood out to me and have been accepted to a couple. The idea of being class of 2019 still hasn't sunk in, though!

I think it is beyond awesome that everyone here is so supportive and can find such joy and satisfaction in seeing others chase their dream. Here's to hoping that everyone finds a place where he/she can be happy and at peace!

I want to end this circle jerk and say that I hate all of you.

And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Reactions: 11 users
IMG_6942.JPG
IMG_6955.JPG
In other news, I went to the tree lighting in Manhattan tonight! :)

Also, CONGRATS!!!

Reactions: 5 users
I got really excited thinking that those were pictures of the protests.

I R Disappoint.

1. I appreciate the conversation about cultural differences. I love it when I learn something new about my colleagues that helps me understand them better. @hellanutella @ridethecliche (Also, go rock those upcoming interviews, RTC!)
2. Sending all the virtual hugs to @sunflower18! I hope you feel better soon.
3. Sorry I was gone for like 60 posts, I was sleeping on the planes yesterday and I slept all night before my EVMS interview today (which turned out great! I love their community-oriented approach, their reputation of producing strong clinicians, and their pioneering work in the use of standardized patients.).

I'm so glad you loved EVMS!!! When can you expect a decision back? And thank you so much for the hugs :D

Congrats to the recent interview invites and acceptances!! So exciting!! Definitely agree with @hellanutella and Ace and @No Limits and @Cyberdyne 101 -- all are welcome here, acceptances or not (and currently applying or not!) :)

Reactions: 4 users
I'm so glad you loved EVMS!!! When can you expect a decision back? And thank you so much for the hugs :D

Congrats to the recent interview invites and acceptances!! So exciting!! Definitely agree with @hellanutella and Ace and @No Limits and @Cyberdyne 101 -- all are welcome here, acceptances or not (and currently applying or not!) :)
Hey there! EVMS says up to 4 weeks, and I think someone called them recently and said the next committee meeting is 12/15. I don't expect to hear back before Christmas, but I wouldn't mind if they did!

Hey there! EVMS says up to 4 weeks, and I think someone called them recently and said the next committee meeting is 12/15. I don't expect to hear back before Christmas, but I wouldn't mind if they did!

Wouldn't that be a lovely Christmas gift!!!

I just realized that sometime between dry cleaning and having my first interview my suit pants got a pretty substantial pull in the fabric. There's no way to get a new suit anytime soon, so I guess I'm stuck with this for a few more months.

Ugh. I wish it hadn't happened.

Fak.

Last edited:
So I just got my first acceptance and as a reapplicant, I'm just so overwhelmed right now that I can finally be a part of the Class of 2019!!

I've avoided this thread like the plague as I didn't want to jynx myself but now I can freely look through this thread :)

Reactions: 13 users
It's December 4th. I haven't even had one nibble of peppermint bark yet.

:(

That $9.99 tin at Trader Joe's is just taunting me. I don't buy it because a) I need the cashmoneys and b) I know I could eat it all in one sitting. #yuletidestruggles

Reactions: 4 users
It's December 4th. I haven't even had one nibble of peppermint bark yet.

:(

That $9.99 tin at Trader Joe's is just taunting me. I don't buy it because a) I need the cashmoneys and b) I know I could eat it all in one sitting. #yuletidestruggles

You could make homemade peppermint bark! Relatively easy, and still super tasty (though that doesn't help the eat-it-in-one-sitting problem...it's a miracle that I still have some left in my fridge).

You could make homemade peppermint bark! Relatively easy, and still super tasty (though that doesn't help the eat-it-in-one-sitting problem...it's a miracle that I still have some left in my fridge).

I can't be trusted to make p.bark. I always end up eating the whole batch within the span of an hour. :( I guess I just need to suck it up, make some, but bundle the rest up in holiday gift baggies....

Oh snap guys. It is an easy recipe. This is dangerous.

Reactions: 7 users
I can't be trusted to make p.bark. I always end up eating the whole batch within the span of an hour. :( I guess I just need to suck it up, make some, but bundle the rest up in holiday gift baggies....

Oh snap guys. It is an easy recipe. This is dangerous.

Haha I'd say that's one of the "more complicated" recipes, too; I always do single-layer bark, since breaking it apart is way harder the more you layer on. Though if you need deterrent, breaking the peppermints can make your arms sore if you get too ambitious? ;)