Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You could make homemade peppermint bark! Relatively easy, and still super tasty (though that doesn't help the eat-it-in-one-sitting problem...it's a miracle that I still have some left in my fridge).

I can't be trusted to make p.bark. I always end up eating the whole batch within the span of an hour. :( I guess I just need to suck it up, make some, but bundle the rest up in holiday gift baggies....

Oh snap guys. It is an easy recipe. This is dangerous.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I can't be trusted to make p.bark. I always end up eating the whole batch within the span of an hour. :( I guess I just need to suck it up, make some, but bundle the rest up in holiday gift baggies....

Oh snap guys. It is an easy recipe. This is dangerous.

Haha I'd say that's one of the "more complicated" recipes, too; I always do single-layer bark, since breaking it apart is way harder the more you layer on. Though if you need deterrent, breaking the peppermints can make your arms sore if you get too ambitious? ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Second official rejection today, and silence at so many schools that I've been complete at for 3-3.5 months. My first (and only) interview is a week from today... but at a school that historically waitlists almost all OOS applicants. Starting to really worry about my cycle now :cyclops:

Congrats on all of the recent IIs and acceptances, you all are awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
Second official rejection today, and silence at so many schools that I've been complete at for 3-3.5 months. My first (and only) interview is a week from today... but at a school that historically waitlists almost all OOS applicants. Starting to really worry about my cycle now :cyclops:

Just so you know, I recently got an II from a school after being complete for over 4 months.

I know you're bound to be a bit worried, but hey, we're rooting for ya!

Enjoy you interview, have fun, and GOOD LUCK!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Starbucks had amazing peppermint brownies a few years ago... But of course, they were discontinued...

Good luck!:)

Reactions: 1 users
Immuno final today.

If I don't make it through, burn my copy of First Aid.

Reactions: 2 users
finally get to post in here - I got my first acceptance yesterday! over the moon! as a low-GPA, LM ~66, I have never been worried about WHEN I'll get in or WHERE I'll get in but purely IF I'll get in... never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have this stress resolved by early December! dream come true! so happy happy :) :)

Reactions: 21 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just so you know, I recently got an II from a school after being complete for over 4 months.

I know you're bound to be a bit worried, but hey, we're rooting for ya!

Enjoy you interview, have fun, and GOOD LUCK!!!

Good luck!:)

Thank you both! I'm looking forward to a break from work and what looks to be a very enjoyable interview day :)

And thank you @Cyberdyne 101 for the well wishes!

The mmi was a lot of fun and I really liked Albany. I think I have some 'wrong'answers because the interviewers were so shocked that they broke character! I think I defended my choices well.

Came home to find a II from Miami Miller for md and md/mph

Reactions: 8 users
The mmi was a lot of fun and I really liked Albany. I think I have some 'wrong'answers because the interviewers were so shocked that they broke character! I think I defended my choices well.

Better to be yourself than to put on a facade that they can see through.

Yay! I wish Miami Miller would give me a chance lol.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More good news! I love it:)

Congratulations on Miami! I absolutely loved it there... Prepare for an hour-long, one-on-one interview :)

Edit: just saw the video... I had "I'm in Miami, B****" stuck in my head during my time there, was an interesting experience.

Better to be yourself than to put on a facade that they can see through.

Yay! I wish Miami Miller would give me a chance lol.

I just wrote about my research interests a lot so I think they were interested because of that as well.

The first available date was... monday.
WTF. I would have made it happen if they'd sent me the II a few days ago. I have quinnipiac this monday anyway. My work life is falling apart right now because my coworker sucks and is flakey as fak. She has only shown up like 4/15 of the last work days, most unannounced. I told the practice manager because I'm sick of it and I want her to get a stern talking to. I'm terrified that all my hard work will fall apart because of this.

I just wrote about my research interests a lot so I think they were interested because of that as well.

The first available date was... monday.
WTF. I would have made it happen if they'd sent me the II a few days ago. I have quinnipiac this monday anyway. My work life is falling apart right now because my coworker sucks and is flakey as fak. She has only shown up like 4/15 of the last work days, most unannounced. I told the practice manager because I'm sick of it and I want her to get a stern talking to. I'm terrified that all my hard work will fall apart because of this.
Yeah, I hate flakiness as well. I'm hoping you can get that resolved. So there are definitely still interview dates left this month?

Their system is weird. You pick four choices. Mostly Jan and feb dates.

I got my email in the car coming home from Albany. Didn't see it till like 4hrs after I got it. I'd like to move it up if possible.

All the days currently have me at multiple interviews a week which is hard with work.

Congratulations to everyone on the recent interview invites and acceptances! I did my interview yesterday at MCW and I loved it! Hoping for good news next week! I'm done interviewing now (assuming no one else offers a II) but it's been an incredible experience and I'm truly grateful for it all! I'm rooting for everyone still waiting for the first acceptance! :)

Reactions: 5 users
When did you apply and how many places are you waiting on?

I've been complete for almost 4 months and have a feeling I'll be getting a few more interviews this month. Point being dint count yourself out yet.

This month has seen a lot of movement already.

Officially accepted at U Colorado. @claduva94 and I will hopefully be partying it up in Denver next year!

Reactions: 12 users
When did you apply and how many places are you waiting on?

I've been complete for almost 4 months and have a feeling I'll be getting a few more interviews this month. Point being dint count yourself out yet.

This month has seen a lot of movement already.
I'm waiting to hear decisions from 4 additional schools I interviewed at. I finished all secondaries between the last week of July and 2nd week of August. I submitted 32 secondaries and I've heard from 17 through interview/rejection/hold. There are 15 schools I haven't heard anything from since submitting the secondary. Two places I interviewed at I did receive the II 3 and 3.5 months later though!

^^Good luck!^^

Side note: MMI's go fast. For the first one I walked into. I started talking and the 1 minute remaining thing came up before I had even stopped speaking. I felt like I had talked in circles for a bit so at the notification I was like..."Woah, I just talked for seven minutes straight. sorry!". The interviewer started laughing.

having the best week ever... after a long long dry spell of my first and only two II in October, got my first acceptance on Thursday and II from Duke today! still in disbelief. how did this happen. any tips for their MMI?????

Reactions: 9 users
having the best week ever... after a long long dry spell of my first and only two II in October, got my first acceptance on Thursday and II from Duke today! still in disbelief. how did this happen. any tips for their MMI?????

HOLY COW CONGRATS! That is awesome to hear. Enjoy your time out in NC!

I only did one full MMI and one single-station interview, so others like sunflower (who are MMI pros) will probably have better tips. But this is what I did for my full-MMI interview (note: each station was 8 minutes):

My thought process when presented with an ethical scenario MMI station was:
1. What arguments can be made for/against the issue presented in the vignette?
2. Is there a particular argument/position (if any) that I agree with?
3. *mentally arrange my thoughts, take furtive glances at fellow interviewees, smile at concealed cameras*

Note: I did not take down notes while reading the vignette/formulating my response... while most of my fellow interviewees did. I guess if notes help you out (and are permitted), then by all means do it! However, MMIs questions don't require an extensive knowledge base to answer, so I don't see why you'd need to scrawl down a bunch of points to present.

~enter station~
1. Greet rater with a smile, give them your name, general pleasantries etc.
2. Give a short recap of the vignette to show that you understood what was presented (I used this to kill time if I didn't have much to talk about and to get a read off of the rater)
3. Go into my thought process regarding the issue – present MULTIPLE arguments/positions
4. Conclude with the argument that resonated with me the most
5. Hand the session off to the rater
6. Answer follow up questions (if any... there may not be)
7. Crack same joke about "wow, it must get real old hearing the same answers over and over again"
8. Bid farewell
~exit station~

In short, I would talk for ~3 minutes. Didn't time myself, but tried to relay my thoughts as concisely as possible. I'm a rambler, so that's something I tried to keep in check. Some stations I ended really early (like 5-6 minutes in) and others we talked well until the 8 minutes was up, but it appears none of this was held against me.

Reactions: 5 users
Brutal day at work, but on the plus side, approx 250 days until start of school!

@hellanutella thank you so so so much for that :) :)

I think MMI practice doesn't prepare you so much for the questions as it does for being able to quickly come up with a few points you want to discuss and expound on and come up with counterpoints.

I actually got into a good natured argument of sorts with one of my interviewers, which was a lot of fun, i.e. to have someone call you out on your thinking, force you to defend your position, or explain why you came to a new position in light of new evidence.

I WANT MORE MMI'S NOW!

Reactions: 4 users
I think MMI practice doesn't prepare you so much for the questions as it does for being able to quickly come up with a few points you want to discuss and expound on and come up with counterpoints.

I actually got into a good natured argument of sorts with one of my interviewers, which was a lot of fun, i.e. to have someone call you out on your thinking, force you to defend your position, or explain why you came to a new position in light of new evidence.

I WANT MORE MMI'S NOW!
oh that sounds fun. I've been to one MMI so far and found the prompts a little too straight-forward, not a lot of room for discussion... hopefully the two I have coming up will be a bit more exciting :)

oh that sounds fun. I've been to one MMI so far and found the prompts a little too straight-forward, not a lot of room for discussion... hopefully the two I have coming up will be a bit more exciting :)

To be fair, I think the guy I was talking to (older doctor) just didn't do what he had been told. As a result, it was way more fun. I wish they had the leeway to play devils advocate because that is so much more interesting.

Most of the prompts were pretty boring, but for two of the ones I had at albany I picked answers that 'spoke' to me and in both cases they were met with surprise because they weren't the easy answer choices. I think that the interviewers expected me to play it safe and I just really didn't.

I'll let you know how it turns out for me in a few weeks. They said 3 weeks for decisions, which is the last week of december. There's a nice bottle of scotch waiting for me courtesy of @kthxbai if I get in.

Congrats on the II to Duke, @kjj17!! I have done 5 MMIs, so I've definitely seen some variation between schools. Some of the time, you will have a conversation with the interviewer for the full 6-10 minutes or however long they give you; at other schools, after you give them your initial opinion, they thank you and ask you to leave the room and wait outside for the last half of the time limit. I prefer the former, but be prepared for both!

My experience with MMIs has been largely positive. I enjoy meeting people, so I didn't mind that aspect, whereas I know some introverts who hate having to bounce back and forth between different interviewers and have to give 8 first impressions in the span of an hour or so. I guess I approached it optimistically, like each new station was a chance to impress someone else or get someone else excited about advocating for me on the admissions committee. Who knows if that's actually how it works, but it made me energized and eager to perform my best each time. My general approach went something like...

Outside the room:
Read the prompt several times, mentally plan or physically write down thoughts as to what I want to say (note: I never looked at my notes inside the room -- it just helped to organize things a bit, since adrenaline and nerves can make your brain feel scattered), tried to imagine both sides of the argument so that I could address the issue from multiple angles

Once we were given the cue:
1) Knock
2) Open the door and introduce myself
3) Sit down when directed to do so
4) When they inevitably ask if I had time to read the prompt, say yes before beginning
5) Basically say, "Here are the two sides that I am seeing..."
6) Conclude my ~2 minute spiel with what side I am leaning towards and why, and (if applicable) what steps I would take if faced with this situation
7) Follow their lead, either by having a conversation about these topics or by leaving the room if I am asked to do so

I did my best to give genuine responses, and if they said something that I hadn't thought of, respond in a very humble and receptive way -- "Oh, I hadn't thought of that! That's an excellent point. I should have considered that in my initial argument, but now that it's brought to my attention, I might change my perspective to include x, y, or z." -- or something, depending on the circumstance. I'm not sure if sticking to my guns would have been better, but I wanted to genuinely show that I can learn from hearing other peoples' opinions and that my ideas aren't inflexible. But like I said, each circumstance is totally different and it's so hard to generalize. Basically, I just said what I thought and felt in a hopefully polite and articulate way.

I have no idea if this helped hahah I sort of just typed a stream of consciousness about my MMI experiences, but maybe you can glean something useful from it... If not, I'm really sorry hahaha. But good luck on your interview regardless! You'll do great!!

Reactions: 6 users
@sunflower18 thank you so so so much for that, it was extremely helpful!! :)

To be fair, I think the guy I was talking to (older doctor) just didn't do what he had been told. As a result, it was way more fun. I wish they had the leeway to play devils advocate because that is so much more interesting.

Most of the prompts were pretty boring, but for two of the ones I had at albany I picked answers that 'spoke' to me and in both cases they were met with surprise because they weren't the easy answer choices. I think that the interviewers expected me to play it safe and I just really didn't.

I'll let you know how it turns out for me in a few weeks. They said 3 weeks for decisions, which is the last week of december. There's a nice bottle of scotch waiting for me courtesy of @kthxbai if I get in.

haha thanks :) I have albany coming up too!

@kjj17 , I had a lot fun there to be honest.

The dean that spoke was pretty ridiculous in a good way and the interviewers were fun. The med students I spoke to after were honest.

I flat out asked them how they chose a school and what they'd recommend for people if they were fortunate enough to have multiple answers. The answers were good ("look at match lists", etc.) and I was glad that they didn't plug the school repeatedly when doing that. It really annoys me when the sessions seem like a one sided brainwashing session.

@sunflower18 I think sticking to your guns is reasonable if you can defend your existing position in light of new information. If you're actually thinking differently, then make it known. You also don't want to come off as wishy-washy. I.e. if you come into the exchange with a strong answer and seemingly strong convictions, then you're going to sound ignorant because you had strong-ish opinions and they were relatively unfounded.

@kjj17 , I had a lot fun there to be honest.

The dean that spoke was pretty ridiculous in a good way and the interviewers were fun. The med students I spoke to after were honest.

I flat out asked them how they chose a school and what they'd recommend for people if they were fortunate enough to have multiple answers. The answers were good ("look at match lists", etc.) and I was glad that they didn't plug the school repeatedly when doing that. It really annoys me when the sessions seem like a one sided brainwashing session.

@sunflower18 I think sticking to your guns is reasonable if you can defend your existing position in light of new information. If you're actually thinking differently, then make it known. You also don't want to come off as wishy-washy. I.e. if you come into the exchange with a strong answer and seemingly strong convictions, then you're going to sound ignorant because you had strong-ish opinions and they were relatively unfounded.

Sure. There are definitely a few situations when I had a strong opinion and maintained it throughout the entire station, though I did acknowledge that I understood where an opposing argument would stem from. It all depends on the specific circumstance, for sure.

If they only knew why they'd join in on this bet.

What's your preferred bottle? Pig's nose is hitting the spot for me recently in the taste and affordability departments.

What's your preferred bottle? Pig's nose is hitting the spot for me recently in the taste and affordability departments.

I'm a scotch drinker, so glen moray for the inexpensive stuff (about 35 a bottle) but I like glen livet and glen fiddich for the more pricey stuff. Also a big fan of irish whiskey. I'm not a big fan of peaty scotch, but I do like the Johnie walker black/double black blends. Never had blue ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$).

I'm a scotch drinker, so glen moray for the inexpensive stuff (about 35 a bottle) but I like glen livet and glen fiddich for the more pricey stuff. Also a big fan of irish whiskey. I'm not a big fan of peaty scotch, but I do like the Johnie walker black/double black blends. Never had blue ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$).
Same on the blue, but i borrowed a glass of gold from a friend. Balvenie Caribbean might be my fave though.

Any Homeland fans?!
Homeland-3x12.jpg

I can barely bring myself to study for finals now that I am accepted. These exams are gonna be awful. Oh god.

Reactions: 6 users
Any Homeland fans?!
Homeland-3x12.jpg

Tonight's episode nearly gave me a heart attack...the way they went all game of thrones on us this season and killed off basically everyone who is anyone has left me with some serious PTSD.

I can't imagine being a fan of scotch but not the peaty ones. Like, what's the point?? I'll take ardbeg or laphroag any day. But of course, the good ones cost a lot :/

Tonight's episode nearly gave me a heart attack...the way they went all game of thrones on us this season and killed off basically everyone who is anyone has left me with some serious PTSD.
They killed off one of my favorite characters :( RIP, _____

I'm really enjoying this season though.