Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awwww thanks so much! Haha I have way too many schools to hear back from before I make a decision either way. But I have some difficult decisions from schools with scholarships. That's for sure.
@ProbablyAPenguin, this reminds me of the beginning of *Gone With the Wind* when all those "beaux" are buzzing around Scarlett O'Hara. Oh, to be courted!! (I guess I'll think about that tomorrow. But by God, I'll never be hungry again. . . .)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Parks & Rec? Oh it is :) I, as a person, am very well exemplified by both Leslie Knope and Hermione Granger. I think I've decided on the fact that I'm 25% Leslie, 75% Hermione.
Has anybody been watching *Vanderbilt MDs*? I'd be interested in hearing your reactions (before I bias you by confiding my own!)

Another whopping huge shout-out to @ProbablyAPenguin on Vandy (with a 75% scholarship I might add)! I know it's probably way too early in the game and I totally understand if you do not want to be public with such things, but which school(s) that you've interviewed at are you leaning towards? You're just going to be rolling in acceptances come April! :D

@Cyberdyne 101 woah, I am so sorry you had to deal with that in the workplace. I'm glad all has settled down now, but that surely was not the most pleasant start to your week. :( Workplace drama can have this insidious way of souring your whole week, even if you're mellowing out at home. Hope your boss takes this mishap to heart. If you could ever possibly draw a perk from this experience, it'll make an interesting topic for those "workplace conflict" secondary essays.

I loved this post too. @BengaliBrat has such a charming way with words.
Don't! Stop! Don't! Stop! Don't stop!! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
@ProbablyAPenguin, this reminds me of the beginning of *Gone With the Wind* when all those "beaux" are buzzing around Scarlett O'Hara. Oh, to be courted!! (I guess I'll think about that tomorrow. But by God, I'll never be hungry again. . . .)
I have never read these books and I just visited a happy hour so am unsure how to respond but yay books thank you etc!

Has anybody been watching *Vanderbilt MDs*? I'd be interested in hearing your reactions (before I bias you by confiding my own!)

~Unpopular opinion alert~ Saw the first episode, but I must confess I fast-forwarded through it a lot because it couldn't hold my attention. I wasn't really impressed since the show seemed to focus upon the residents, stereotyping and sensationalizing them like a very bad reality TV program (ex: the flirt, the mama's boy, the token minority, the jock, etc.). The patient and clinical encounters seemed rushed. It frustrated me because wanted to know what was going on with the patients and not the residents!

A lot of these medical shows seem somewhat scripted, but Vandy MDs was just over-the-top. I much prefer Hopkins and Boston Med. Mildly disliked NY Med because Dr. Oz kept popping up on it.

/endunpopularopinion

Reactions: 1 users
Mildly disliked NY Med because Dr. Oz kept popping up on it.

/endunpopularopinion
Oh then you are going to love this new show called "Surgeon Oz" :p
p10902695_b_v5_aa.jpg

I love the CCOM, the people, the familiarity -- but I need a change of scenery, but it's got a very deep place in my heart. I could definitely see myself settling down here :) But I can't wait to attend second look, it is going to be tough to say goodbye :(

I want to meet you. I'll be at second look!

I just got a little excited when I realized you can sort forums by post count. Here are the top 10 most-posted-on threads in this year's school-specific discussions.

10. Miami
9. UCSF
8. Rosalind Franklin
7. NYMC
6. USUHS
5. MCW
4. GW
3. Mayo
2. Drexel
1. VCU

You can also sort by number of views. It's mostly similar as expected, but there was one big outlier: USUHS isn't even in the top 50 in views despite being #6 in posts.

I guess I should be working, huh.

Reactions: 8 users
I just got a little excited when I realized you can sort forums by post count. Here are the top 10 most-posted-on threads in this year's school-specific discussions.

10. Miami
9. UCSF
8. Rosalind Franklin
7. NYMC
6. USUHS
5. MCW
4. GW
3. Mayo
2. Drexel
1. VCU

You can also sort by number of views. It's mostly similar as expected, but there was one big outlier: USUHS isn't even in the top 50 in views despite being #6 in posts.

Unsurprisingly, a lot of these schools are the ones with an extremely large volume of applicants. Hmmmm... wonder what's up with USUHS, though.

I think Mayo and UCSF made the cut due to their strange, stress-inducing LOR/prescreen process. :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users

10. Miami
9. UCSF
8. Rosalind Franklin
7. NYMC
6. USUHS
5. MCW
4. GW
3. Mayo
2. Drexel
1. VCU

Wow I applied to 6 of these schools haha!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got into my first school. I think my reaction was pretty typical. You know, a 6'3" guy shaking and almost passing out in the middle of the research lab.

Reactions: 24 users
Um... Gaiz...

I just got into Albany...
Just got into my first school. I think my reaction was pretty typical. You know, a 6'3" guy shaking and almost passing out in the middle of the research lab.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Now all you have to do is put your feet up and relax until orientation hits! Ride that post-acceptance high all the way through the new year. Such an awesome feeling.

Reactions: 7 users
The breakthrough we all knew was coming - congratulations! Tell us how it feels!

I just feel a total sense of relief. Honestly, the uncertainty was really getting to me. I'm excited to be able to have a sense of direction again, kick Ass at work and start reintegration into society. Maybe start working less weekends and volunteering again.

A cousin just got back from his second tour in Afghanistan and I'm so excited that I can plan to take a few days off work and go see him my family. I didn't know if I could have done that, but now if I get an interview somewhere I can just turn it down instead of freaking out and going to it.

Right now, I'm at a bloody tear jerker of a palliative care rounds and I feel like this huge sap. I'm actually in tears. Picture a dude, 170lbs, 5 10, big beard. Tears.

Reactions: 8 users
Um... Gaiz...

Honestly, this news made my day. I have been in a ridiculously good mood since I read this. I'm really happy for you :)

Congratulations to all who got accepted today:)

Honestly, this news made my day. I have been in a ridiculously good mood since I read this. I'm really happy for you :)

Congratulations to all who got accepted today:)

Thanks so much!

Seriously. I'm so freaking relieved.

There is no more cake. Only potential icing flavors.

(I don't really like icing, but you get the analogy)

Thanks so much!

Seriously. I'm so freaking relieved.

There is no more cake. Only potential icing flavors.

(I don't really like icing, but you get the analogy)
You are welcome, definitely well deserved. Haha, I get the analogy. Any special plans to celebrate tonight?

Cannot wait for @Ace Khalifa and @joonage to pop in here to say they've been accepted too:) I suspect that's going to be any day now:xf:

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to all accepted today. We are all going to be awesome doctors. :)

LOL @No Limits, you might have to wait until after the new year begins for me.

I love the CCOM, the people, the familiarity -- but I need a change of scenery, but it's got a very deep place in my heart. I could definitely see myself settling down here :) But I can't wait to attend second look, it is going to be tough to say goodbye :(

@claduva94 as are you ;) :p

I hardly tolerate it... I admire it! You have an enviable way with words and I like to think I do too but I just end up sounding clumsy :p

OMG what a whiner :mad: Not to be personally offensive or anything to this person who probably has a lot more life experience than me, but talk about 1st world problems :confused:
You had me LOL at the bolded part.

@Hermione L Knope MD. Ph.D I didn't know you changed your username! I've been following your success from Day 1, way back in June before I joined the forums -- I'm so happy for you and want to extend congratulations!!! You should be very proud!

OMG YAY!! CONGRATS!! SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!
giphy.gif

you guys are LITERALLY TOO nice! haha :love: :p I hope I go to school with some of the awesome people I've talked to on SDN...

Reactions: 3 users
You are welcome, definitely well deserved. Haha, I get the analogy. Any special plans to celebrate tonight?

Cannot wait for @Ace Khalifa and @joonage to pop in here to say they've been accepted too:) I suspect that's going to be any day now:xf:

I had plans to do journal club with the surgeons which is always a blast. Went out for a drink with two of the fellows after. Then stopped by an awesome bar for bluegrass on the way home.

Along the way, one girl gave me her number and another was flirting with me like cray. The latter wasn't from town or I would have asked for digits. I have a feeling the next few months are going to be a blast!

I almost teared up when one of my mentors raised a glass to me at dinner tonight. It's starting to sink in.

I feel like the energizer bunny now. I'm so ready to kick f'ing ass at work now.

@Ace Khalifa , couldn't move my miami interview since the schedule's totally booked up for MD/MPH so unfortunately we won't be able to hang. Good luck though!

Rooting for you to hear back soon!

I'm so happy to be on the cheering lines 100% now :)

Soooooo anyone doing anything fun/exciting/interesting before we start the next chapter of our lives? I know most people try to cross things off of their bucket lists before med school, so I think it would be interesting to see what types of things people will be doing over the next 6+ months. Basically....I’m looking for ideas :D:D:D lol

Soooooo anyone doing anything fun/exciting/interesting before we start the next chapter of our lives? I know most people try to cross things off of their bucket lists before med school, so I think it would be interesting to see what types of things people will be doing over the next 6+ months. Basically....I’m looking for ideas :D:D:D lol
Travel and an unhealthy usage of Netflix.

Reactions: 4 users

SE Asia trip, potentially some backpacking.

Going to India to visit my grandparents.

Hoping to churn out atleast 2-4 more papers before leaving this job. Learn some stats and modeling. Get better at triageing work and time management.

Also, bench atleast 250.

But most of all: take better care of myself and my body.

How's your fantasy team doing?
I'm in the championship for the 2nd straight year, although I expect to lose again :laugh:
I'm in the 3rd/4th place match. All my main players decided to suck ass this past weekend. lol

I'm in the 3rd/4th place match. All my main players decided to suck ass this past weekend. lol
I'm the "token guy" in my league (it's me and 7 girls). I only made it to the championship this year because my friend, who failed to make the playoffs (she calls the consolation games the NIT :laugh:), gave me a few players ;) However, my chances are very slim. My opponent has Peyton Manning and I'm using Eli as my QB to make it interesting.

Regardless, I hope all of the players are spared from significant brain damage :(

Woke up to rejection letter from UNC...also woke up to feeling sore and stiff cuz some idiot rear-ended me yesterday (it's never a good idea to text and drive on the highway during rush hour). Welp, I can kiss cheap tuition good-bye.

Woke up to rejection letter from UNC...also woke up to feeling sore and stiff cuz some idiot rear-ended me yesterday (it's never a good idea to text and drive on the highway during rush hour). Welp, I can kiss cheap tuition good-bye.

Oh my god, Ace, I'm so sorry. That's awful news :( I hope you feel better too, gosh. Not a very good few days, sounds like... I'm really crossing my fingers that you get good news from SLU, EVMS, or Mizzou sometime in the near future!!!!

Sorry to hear this... You can rest assured that you will be a med student in the near future. Relax and try to enjoy life as much as possible. Your hard work will be rewarded!

Sorry to hear this Ace. Been following you ever since our WVU invites. We're all rooting for you here though so keep that head high and we'll all celebrate when you receive that magical letter!

Awh no, dude. :( I'm pretty sure we all had our fingers crossed for some pre-holiday UNC love. I know there's not much I can do to make the situation any better... rejections are evil little buggers and they can hurt on a personal level... but you've got to keep the hope alive. Statistically speaking, you've got an awesome shot of getting in this cycle. Things will get better with time, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

Glad you're safe, though. Hoping you get a karmic turnaround this week and a restful weekend. We're all rooting for you here.

PS: You're going to rock Miami.

Thank you all so much for the continued support. It really means a lot to me.

"And the walls kept tumbling down
In the city that we love
Great clouds roll over the hills
Bringing darkness from above

But if you close your eyes,
Does it almost feel like
Nothing changed at all?
And if you close your eyes,
Does it almost feel like
You've been here before?
How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
Will I ever become a doctor after all this?"

Bastille's "Pompeii" edited to match my situation.

I want to meet you. I'll be at second look!

Me too! :)

Unsurprisingly, a lot of these schools are the ones with an extremely large volume of applicants. Hmmmm... wonder what's up with USUHS, though.

I think Mayo and UCSF made the cut due to their strange, stress-inducing LOR/prescreen process. :laugh:

VCU had a lot of posts very early! High volume of applications that's for sure. And yes to the bolded part :p

Um... Gaiz...

OMG CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy for you!

sorry double post... first time putting a pic in lol

made me think of interview season... "Michael Scott"
upload_2014-12-18_14-48-2.png

This deserves a post of its own...

Ace, I am so so so sorry. But you WILL get into a fantastic medical school, I know it. You will! I'm rooting for you, have always rooted for you and I really hope and I am optimistic that you hear good news! :happy:

I too woke up to that same rejection and I never interviewed... But I know how much you loved UNC so I can't even begin to imagine the letdown this must be for you :( Stay strong, be good to yourself and know that the best things come to those who wait :) I know it's easier said than done :(

VCU had a lot of posts very early! High volume of applications that's for sure.

I just looked to see what you all were talking about on that thread...wow!

They sent secondaries to people, then changed the prompt a few days later and told people who hadn't submitted yet to respond to the new one. The first prompt was 8,000 characters on this:
A family member or friend comes to you to discuss a curable cancer for which they are considering alternative/ complimentary medicine options. What would be your next steps?

And then it became 1,500 characters on this:
Imagine that you are a family physician and are seeing a 15 year old girl for menstrual cramps. Her mother has accompanied her for this visit. When you examine the patient without her mother present, she tells you that she is sexually active. She begs you not to tell her mother because of her family’s strong values against teen sex. Discuss your next steps.

:eek:

I just looked to see what you all were talking about on that thread...wow!

They sent secondaries to people, then changed the prompt a few days later and told people who hadn't submitted yet to respond to the new one. The first prompt was 8,000 characters on this:

And then it became 1,500 characters on this:

:eek:

And the stories about John hahaha.

The VCU thread was pure gold.

They would release these cryptic status updates, which would say things like "we may extend an interview" or "we are very interested in your app," but the statuses often did not line up with the final action taken.

And the stories about John hahaha.
Oh my god! John! How could I ever have forgotten him. Thank you for that, @claduva94.

For posterity's sake:

John glances out his window, looking for signs of the apocalypse, which would be a sign that he should probably start reviewing the pile of applications on his desk that has grown so large that other members of the admissions committee consider it to be part of the nearby Appalachian Mountains. At once, he is both pleased and angered to see premedical students relaxing on the adjacent lawn, enjoying the last weeks of summer without having to worry about filling out any more secondary applications. On the one hand, it is a sign that he can continue to play Candy Crush without being bothered by the impending end of the world. On the other hand, he is angered by the easygoing nature of the students. After all, just because it is the weekend and most admissions offices are closed doesn't mean that they shouldn't be perpetually plagued by the pre-med neuroticism. With a gleeful smile, he changes a few applicants' statuses from "complete" to "forwarded". When he visits SDN the next hour, he is pleased to notice that anxiety and disorder have again been restored to the premedical world. With his eyes glistening with tears of joy, he pulls out his iPhone, and promptly completes his 1000th level of Candy Crush since the application cycle began. He calls Honcho to inform him of his incredible progress. They share a laugh and John feels content, knowing that the shade from the pile of applications won't be going anywhere soon, which saves him from dipping into his six-figure salary to pay for proper blinds.