Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, future courses are non-binding.

Unless you are not taking a pre-req anymore.

Thanks for your reply. One school I interviewed at said that if there is ANY change in future coursework/degrees/certificates/whatever, then we have to update admissions office about it. They said that they have rejected students in the past and that an acceptance offer may be dropped if anything doesn't match up. They even said that it is considered academic fraud! Anyway, it really freaked me out to say the least... I will definitely update that school, but just wondering if I should update the rest...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:biglove: :biglove: :biglove:

You are such a wonderful and supportive community, which is why I absolutely love being a part of this thread! Thank you so much for making this application process a great experience -- even though it has been stressful, it's so fantastic to know that there are dozens of people here waiting to cheer on my accomplishments and comfort me when things don't go my way, and it's incredible that there is always something to celebrate since everyone here is brilliant and inspiring. I love you guys. Happy holidays. :)

Reactions: 11 users
One of my interviewers recognized me on the street today when he was doing his Xmas shopping with his family. Small world. And I honestly didn't know what to say...what does one say to a former interviewer while wearing a Santa hat and a floral holiday dress?

Ho ho ho!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Merry Christmas from the ED!!

Reactions: 6 users
Woah, huge congrats out to all those with the recent acceptances! What a sweet holiday gift! Hope everyone has a safe and festive weekend.

And a very merry Christmas (and belated Hanukkah) to all! One of my friends surprised me yesterday with the most practical med school gift ever:
massive_narwhal.jpg

Yup, it's a stuffed narwhal. It's impossible for me to look at it without smiling like a total fool. (Okay, it's technically an anatomically-incorrect narwhal as a narwhal "horn" is actually a tooth... but eh, s'all good).

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
So here's another @BengaliBrat gem in case y'all missed it:

Ah, Dartmouth! You see a bit of a Napoleonic complex there, since all the other Ivies tend to look down on the Big Green! I agree--those condescending, churlish remarks about America's Heartland reveal appalling ignorance as well as an unforgivable absence of manners. Good response, @Overanxious. If I interview, I'm taking my pitchfork to use in retaliation for such nonsense. Or maybe I'll drive up in my monster truck and plow into the ivory towers. Hee haw.

Terminator-Monster-Truck-Wallpaper-960x600.jpg

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!!

Reactions: 2 users
Okay, I just discovered this thread and spent some time reading random pages (no way I can do all 230!) and I just gotta say ... y'all are awesome and hilarious and I wanted to join in the fun :).

Haven't gotten an acceptance yet since I applied so darn late, but hoping to hear good news soon!

Reactions: 7 users
Woah, huge congrats out to all those with the recent acceptances! What a sweet holiday gift! Hope everyone has a safe and festive weekend.

And a very merry Christmas (and belated Hanukkah) to all! One of my friends surprised me yesterday with the most practical med school gift ever:
massive_narwhal.jpg

Yup, it's a stuffed narwhal. It's impossible for me to look at it without smiling like a total fool. (Okay, it's technically an anatomically-incorrect narwhal as a narwhal "horn" is actually a tooth... but eh, s'all good).
Believe it or not, until a year ago, I thought narwhal was a mythical creature, like dragon and phenix. Yes, I can be very uninformed at times.
Anyway, there is a store in Pasadena that sells narwhal teeth/horn. You might have already know which store I am talking about

Believe it or not, until a year ago, I thought narwhal was a mythical creature, like dragon and phenix. Yes, I can be very uninformed at times.
Anyway, there is a store in Pasadena that sells narwhal teeth/horn. You might have already know which store I am talking about
Dragons are real! And it's especially cool when you see one flying through the sky on a moonlit night ;)
image.jpg

I received an acceptance right before Christmas break, so I've been spending my entire break searching for more: future classmates, textbooks/materials I'll need, apartments/houses for rent....just ANYTHING toward which I can direct my excitement. Is this just me? I'm not insane for this am I, lol? :wideyed: I've only seen two other people accepted to the same school.:bucktooth:

Hahaha, yes they definitely are the sort of creature that makes you scratch your head! Evolution is a beautiful thing. They're definitely my favourite animal.

I think I recall the place. Since narwhals are a near-threatened species, the trade of their tusks is extremely restricted... at least from what I recall in Canada. Poor little sea unicorns. :(

Okay, I just discovered this thread and spent some time reading random pages (no way I can do all 230!) and I just gotta say ... y'all are awesome and hilarious and I wanted to join in the fun :).

Haven't gotten an acceptance yet since I applied so darn late, but hoping to hear good news soon!

I applied pretty late according to SDN standards (October), Flintwire, and received an early acceptance to the first school at which I interviewed. Don't worry, an acceptance could still come your way!

I received an acceptance right before Christmas break, so I've been spending my entire break searching for more: future classmates, textbooks/materials I'll need, apartments/houses for rent....just ANYTHING toward which I can direct my excitement. Is this just me? I'm not insane for this am I, lol? :wideyed: I've only seen two other people accepted to the same school.:bucktooth:

CONGRATS! Oh my gosh, what a grand way to spend the break!

I was so excited about doing the housing, home decor, roommate, etc. hunt until I realised how much $$$$$ I'm going to be spending in the next few years. Eeep. Gap years are great because you get to (hopefully) make a net positive in your savings, but also kind of bad because you get used to living with a steady influx of money just in time to go back to starving student mode.

Does your school have a Facebook page for your entering class yet? Those places seem to be pretty great for hunting down roommates and connecting with prospective students.

AHHHH and I am so excited for second look. :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied pretty late according to SDN standards (October), Flintwire, and received an early acceptance to the first school at which I interviewed. Don't worry, an acceptance could still come your way!
Thanks! I applied in October too. I didn't realize the deadline was more "dead" than "line" ;). Thankfully I've gotten 3 interviews so far! But I'm biting my nails and waiting for an acceptance ...

Unrelated to ... well, to anything really, but @ridethecliche & @Ace Khalifa: If you like ice cream and/or sorbet you MUST go to The Frieze when you're in Miami for your interviews. Simply awesome stuff :).

CONGRATS! Oh my gosh, what a grand way to spend the break!

I was so excited about doing the housing, home decor, roommate, etc. hunt until I realised how much $$$$$ I'm going to be spending in the next few years. Eeep. Gap years are great because you get to (hopefully) make a net positive in your savings, but also kind of bad you get used to living with a steady influx of money just in time to go back to starving student mode.

Does your school have a Facebook page for your entering class yet? Those places seem to be pretty great for hunting down roommates and connecting with prospective students.

AHHHH and I am so excited for second look. :D

Haha, thank you! I'm actually a teacher :prof: at the moment, and I'm also married! So, no roommate for me, other than my husband. Hopefully our savings are enough.

There is not yet a Facebook page or SDN thread for my entering class. I've searched high and low for other accepts (found one on Twitter, posted by his mom :thinking:).

Reactions: 3 users
@Cyberdyne 101 (Bubba), you tickle my funny bone! Yep, that's my truck, all right. Wisht I'd hadna totalled her when I was out shootin' country mailboxes down with my six dozen cousins on Christmas Eve. It was just so crowded in the trailer and we was so hepped up on Southern Comfort, fried Ding Dongs, and singin' along with "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" that we jus' lost our everlastin' minds and had to put Sweet Nelly (my truck) up on blocks to work on one of these summers. . .

Insane in a GOOD way! Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 users

Welcome to the fun! Wishing good news your way. . .late is still, despite the cliche, much better than never!

:thinking:

@Cyberdyne 101 (Bubba), you tickle my funny bone! Yep, that's my truck, all right. Wisht I'd hadna totalled her when I was out shootin' country mailboxes down with my six dozen cousins on Christmas Eve. It was just so crowded in the trailer and we was so hepped up on Southern Comfort, fried Ding Dongs, and singin' along with "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" that we jus' lost our everlastin' minds and had to put Sweet Nelly (my truck) up on blocks to work on one of these summers. . .

I lost it at "Sweet Nelly." Never change, BengaliBrat. Never change.

Looking for something to kill the time over winter break/before work starts up again or to avoid pointless small talk during family reunions?

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ FILL THIS BAD BOY OUT. ✧・゚:*╰(◕ヮ◕╰)

Or play a rousing game of "Med School Applicant Holiday Dinner Party Bingo:"*
Screen shot 2014-12-28 at 2.47.30 PM.png.jpg

*Remarks may or may not be based off of real-life conversations with family friends.

Reactions: 18 users
Looking for something to kill the time over winter break/before work starts up again or to avoid pointless small talk during family reunions?

View attachment 188050
*Remarks may or may not be based off of real-life conversations with family friends.
LMFAO! The "What do you mean..." remarks are literally my life!:laugh:

LMFAO! The "What do you mean..." remarks are literally my life!:laugh:
Hahaha, yup that was pretty much every dinner I had. This was one of the worst:

Parent's boss: "So what kind of medicine are you going to do?"
Me: "Well, I can't say with certainty–"
Boss: "What do you mean can't say with certainty? You were accepted to med school. You have to know what you're going to do!"
Me: "Well, uhm... it's very hard to say until I actually start clinical rotations but right now I'm leaning towards some of the surgical specialties."
Boss: "And they accepted you?" ~incredulous voice~
Me: "Yes...?" ◉︵◉

I guess having no medically-related friends/family can have it's perks, but it sure as hell does not for suppertime small talk.

Reactions: 9 users

Boss: "What do you mean can't say with certainty? You were accepted to med school. You have to know what you're going to do!"
Me: "Well, uhm... it's very hard to say until I actually start clinical rotations but right now I'm leaning towards some of the surgical specialties."

I guess having no medically-related friends/family can have it's perks, but it sure as hell does not for suppertime small talk.
Seriously, this actually just happened today!

After passing by a woman having a sneezing attack
Me: Wow I hope she's okay!:unsure:
10-year old nephew: :wtf:Aren't you trying to go to medical school, why don't you help her?

And three days ago:
My brother cuts his hand...
Me: Omg that looks deep you should go to the hospital:eek:
Brother: What? Aren't you a doctor? :rolleyes:(finds a first aid kit and drops it on the table) Come on miamiheatfan, fix it, stitch me up.
Me::nono:

View attachment 188050
I love my fam, but this may be jumping the gun a bit:

Attachments

• 20141228_190716 copy.jpg
    20141228_190716 copy.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 77
View attachment 188050
"Here look at this rash..." takes the cake for me!

I have literally met so many dudes who suddenly develop a desperate need to remove their pants in my presence as soon as they hear I'm applying to medical school. Unfortunately, women seem to be immune to this new power ... :shrug:

View attachment 188050

Hilarious and brilliant! I just came from a dinner with my best friend and his parents, and I must have reached a Bingo by the end of our meal. Somehow, even after answering all of their questions,

My friend's dad asks, "So... you don't know where you're going yet?"
Me: "No, but I have some time to decide between the schools."
Friends dad: "When do you plan to apply then?"
Me: "To what?!"
Friends dad: "The med schools."
Me: :smack:

Reactions: 6 users
View attachment 188004

Digging out old pictures with my family today and came across this gem! Thought you'd guys would get a kick out of me back in the day

Not officially part of this group yet, but hopefully soon I'll be.

Your pic had me digging through my old pics, and I found this one after 2 hours of rummaging (c. 1996):

Dr Phil.png

Tag:
"Doctor of Medicine
Kidstown General Hospital
Name: DrPhilster
Speciality: Surgeon"

Who says you need to be undecided on a specialty before entering med school? :D

Reactions: 9 users

View attachment 188050
<3

View attachment 188050
LOVE THIS!! Thanks!

Hey guys, I know I've been MIA lately but I wanted to let everyone know i was accepted to my first MD school around 2 weeks ago! Ecstatic and wanted to thank everyone here for the constant support through the roller coaster of emotions since apps were submitted :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users

I have so much fun with these.

"What kind of medicine?"
The one with sick people.

Hey guys, I know I've been MIA lately but I wanted to let everyone know i was accepted to my first MD school around 2 weeks ago! Ecstatic and wanted to thank everyone here for the constant support through the roller coaster of emotions since apps were submitted :)
Congrats Sandmeezy!!!!:)

Congrats Sandmeezy!!!!:)
Thank you! Congratulations to you and your outstanding cycle thus far! I honestly had no doubts for any of you here, yall still amaze me to this day!

Best feeling ever! :D Huge congrats, Sandmeezy! Was the lucky school Drexel?

I have so much fun with these.

"What kind of medicine?"
The one with sick people.
I always just say I'm gonna work in the department of diagnostic medicine

You guys are a hoot. ;) I may have to pull out these answers next time.

PS: IS TODAY GOING TO BE THE DAY CCLCM BESTOWS THEIR LOVE UPON @sunflower18??? (My fingers are still crossed!)

HURRAH! (What to do on a roller coaster--throw your hands up in the air, squeal, enjoy the ride, repeat!!)

Thank you very much! And indeed it was!!

Oh my gosh, so exciting! I remember I got really excited when I found out Drexel's mascot was a dragon called Mario the Magnificent. HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!?

I am still shocked I am accepted to my number one school I wanted. This is so amazing :)

Oh my gosh, so exciting! I remember I got really excited when I found out Drexel's mascot was a dragon called Mario the Magnificent. HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!?
Haha I did not know that!! Pretty excited myself! Still waiting to hear from my top choice, hopefully good news there!

Haha I did not know that!! Pretty excited myself! Still waiting to hear from my top choice, hopefully good news there!

Congrats and good luck with the other school! There's so much potential for cool banners and old fashioned crests with a dragon mascot!!

ALL HAIL TROGDOR THE BURNINATOR!

Coming soon to a countryside near you!

Wow I missed a lot!!!

First off, CONGRATS to @Sandmeezy and @ProMed13 and anyone else who was recently accepted!!!!!! That's such wonderful news, guys!!!! :)

Second, awwwww to those pictures of you guys as kids dressed up like doctors. Oh my gosh. When I was little, I dressed up as Nala and Princess Leia... Unfortunately I did not grow up to be a lion nor a space princess.

Third, @hellanutella oh my gosh you're incredibly sweet!!!!! But I don't think today is the day :( I wonder if all the calls have been made..... Sigh. Oh well :)

Fourth, also to @hellanutella oh man my relatives and friends and teachers all ask me those questions exactly. Along with, "So will you be able to fix me when I'm old?" (to which I wittily reply, "Only if you're Benjamin Button!"... just kidding that is the farthest thing from witty). I also have a lot of family members who are very strong believers in alternative medicine and think vaccines cause autism and all that fun stuff that makes my blood boil a little bit, so they often talk about how evil doctors are and how all they want is money and how terribly they treat patients and how many practices are fraudulent. Oh well, I guess I'm bound to hear those types of things from patients during my career, so at least I'm getting used to it now, right?

A few nurse friends have told me that they want me on their care team. Hahhaha.

I also have a lot of family members who are very strong believers in alternative medicine and think vaccines cause autism and all that fun stuff that makes my blood boil a little bit
Are ... are we related?

I cannot even begin to describe some of the ridiculous conversations I've been forced to participate in ... vaccines = autism is bad enough, but you don't know crazy until someone spends $2000 on a water pitcher which claims that anyone who drinks from the water inside it will be granted protection from radiation. (I'm not even sure if I can write that sentence in a way that makes sense.)