Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are ... are we related?

I cannot even begin to describe some of the ridiculous conversations I've been forced to participate in ... vaccines = autism is bad enough, but you don't know crazy until someone spends $2000 on a water pitcher which claims that anyone who drinks from the water inside it will be granted protection from radiation. (I'm not even sure if I can write that sentence in a way that makes sense.)

Hahaha!!! Oh my god!!!! That is amazingly ridiculous. I am completely flabbergasted. My relatives just believe that allopathic medicine is designed to trick patients and that chiropractic medicine can instead heal all diseases and ailments since it adjusts the chakras and energies of the body or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
We should form a support group!

We're gonna need a catchy name though ... :thinking:

Reactions: 1 user
aw dang :O
an old prof wanted me to give a lecture next month in his place cause he has a scheduling conflict, but i will be flying out for interview...

really wanted to give that lecture :(

Members don't see this ad :)
The anti-vaccine crowd is one of the worst.

Are ... are we related?

I cannot even begin to describe some of the ridiculous conversations I've been forced to participate in ... vaccines = autism is bad enough, but you don't know crazy until someone spends $2000 on a water pitcher which claims that anyone who drinks from the water inside it will be granted protection from radiation. (I'm not even sure if I can write that sentence in a way that makes sense.)

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

Reactions: 6 users
leaving the penguinatar and going back to dogatar in the new year.

Reactions: 4 users
Housemates cats wouldn't stop scratching her door and meowing all night long because at some point they switched bedrooms and her bf decided that he didn't want cat hair everywhere.

So of course I get to experience the pleasure of being kept up at night and woken up multiple times.

/vent

Nothing too original here. . .just a wish for all of you reading. May your New Year be fulfilling and blessed, full of opportunities to learn, to grow, and to do good. And, of course, may you be happy in your community, whatever that is for you.

Reactions: 10 users
Housemates cats wouldn't stop scratching her door and meowing all night long because at some point they switched bedrooms and her bf decided that he didn't want cat hair everywhere.

So of course I get to experience the pleasure of being kept up at night and woken up multiple times.

/vent
Oof. Hopefully the cat adjusts quickly! I have a similar problem with the child in the apartment next to mine who apparently loves screaming, especially late at night and early in the morning. I have to keep reminding myself that murder is illegal.

I don't mind them running around a bit since that's transient, but to have them just sitting outside one door together meowing and scratching drives me insane. I ran out of my room a few times to chase them away. I might tell my housemate that I'm getting a small water squirter for the future lol.

I don't mind them running around a bit since that's transient, but to have them just sitting outside one door together meowing and scratching drives me insane. I ran out of my room a few times to chase them away. I might tell my housemate that I'm getting a small water squirter for the future lol.
Go Super-Soaker

Just signed up for my first (and probably only) second look. Auuuggghhh it feels all too real now!

Hope everyone has a safe and splendid New Years night! The streets were all abuzz out here for the Rose Bowl Parade, which really put me into the festive spirit (traffic jam aside). For those still waiting for acceptances, here's to hoping the new new year rolls in with some very good news shortly thereafter!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Today I once again learned the perils of leaving my computer open where exchange students can find it. On the plus side my letter of intent is done...:

To the Mayo Medical School Office of Admissions,

My name is potato and I like potatoes. My favorite color is potato and I smell like potato. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE TAKE ME IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #potato #ilikepotatoes #yolo #mayo #swag

Sincerely,
claduva94

No acceptances so far . . . I'm getting worried now. I got my grades back this morning for the Fall Semester and found that somehow I managed to pull straight A+s this semester even though I had an interview the weekend before finals (I don't feel good about it, tbh). I would have thought that I would be excited about the grades, but I feel kind of empty about this and just don't care right now. What was the point of putting in that much effort if my life goal isn't going to be achieved? Some of my friends who already have acceptances put in a lot less effort than I did . . .

No acceptances so far . . . I'm getting worried now. I got my grades back this morning for the Fall Semester and found that somehow I managed to pull straight A+s this semester even though I had an interview the weekend before finals (I don't feel good about it, tbh). I would have thought that I would be excited about the grades, but I feel kind of empty about this and just don't care right now. What was the point of putting in that much effort if my life goal isn't going to be achieved? Some of my friends who already have acceptances put in a lot less effort than I did . . .
@KingAtlas, a bunch of A+ grades is worthy of an update. My guess is that the emptiness is not "about this," but more exhaustion and anxiety messing with your well-being. This whole process is crazy and unpredictable, as far as I can tell--there are places I thought would interview me that did not, places I thought I'd be accepted where I was not, places that seemed out of reach that somehow took me. I can't always see why, just looking at stats and record--and "effort" is impossible to gauge, especially when a stranger tries to measure it. Let me just point out that you have a logical fallacy marring your thinking--you are assuming that your life goal is not going to be achieved. Way, way premature in that conclusion. You had an interview already, and there may well be more coming up in the new year. Doesn't it seem early to give up? (Complaining, though, is perfectly all right--so I think. That's one of the functions of an online community. Complain and fret and kvetch--but don't give up yet!)

Reactions: 5 users
Just wanted to pop in and say Happy New Year to everyone! This thread always puts a smile on my face and has been one of the warmest, most accepting, and sincerely helpful communities I've ever known. Thanks to everyone for being so friendly and amazing! I hope everyone has a wonderful night -- any big plans for you guys? My best friend is out of the country, so it looks like a quiet night in for me, but I have books and movies, tasty foods, and lots of dessert (homemade napoleons, caramel cheesecake, chocolate ganache cake... yum :))! May the New Year bring everyone much joy and success!

That is until you know @researchismymiddlename just barely finished second decade of life. With a shiny new PhD after her name.

OMG :oops: @FriendlyFH you're so sweet :happy: So blessed to have connected with you this year! Always such a help to this naïve kid and you are such an inspiration with your success, friendliness and humility! Can't wait to meet you at some second looks!! :)

Sheer brilliance and accelerated education! All bow down to the wonderful @researchismymiddlename :) :) :) :biglove:

OMG! @sunflower18 you too?!?! Gosh, you know how to make me feel like the most special person in the world... when you are definitely one of them. Thank you! You're amazing and I'm so happy and blessed to have met you and become friends with you in 2014! This has been such a memorable year, and so much of it is due to you!!

Look up "university of iowa 16 year old PhD." First hit.

:oops: Now I know the formula! :) @Ace Khalifa, thank you for the kind words! :)

Truly amazing! Props to @researchismymiddlename you are on it!!

THANKS and congrautlations again!! :happy:

Fun fact:
@researchismymiddlename finished college at a younger age than Charles Xavier!!!!
00038038.jpg

She's hiding something from us ;)

@Cyberdyne 101 you are sugar incarnate! :p So sweet and awesome -- I think you were my first conversationalist on SDN! You are a gem and I am so happy to have connected with you too this year. I hope to meet you if I get accepted and am able to visit NYC!

One of my interviewers recognized me on the street today when he was doing his Xmas shopping with his family. Small world. And I honestly didn't know what to say...what does one say to a former interviewer while wearing a Santa hat and a floral holiday dress?

LOL! That's hilarious! :D Floral holiday dress, huh? Was it in Christmas colors! I'm super curious because I love fashion, especially florals! :D

Today I once again learned the perils of leaving my computer open where exchange students can find it. On the plus side my letter of intent is done...:

To the Mayo Medical School Office of Admissions,

My name is potato and I like potatoes. My favorite color is potato and I smell like potato. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE TAKE ME IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #potato #ilikepotatoes #yolo #mayo #swag

Sincerely,
claduva94

I think you forgot to talk about potatoes ;) Oh, you say I missed that? Hmm, you're right! Well, let me give you a tip. Be sure to tell them how well Mashed Potatoes go with Mayo... diss ketchup and you're a shoo-in! ;) OMG I really really hope both you and @sunflower18 hear good news so we can at least enact the Three Medschoolteers for second look! Because after all we all know that @sunflower18 is inevitably going to go to CCLCM :happy:

OMG I really really really want to meet you, @hellanutella, @ridethecliche and @No Limits! You four are definitely one of my favorite people on SDN! Specifically regarding you -- I am so glad to have connected online with the amazing Fourier wielding, brilliant @claduva94! :)

Congrats to the recent acceptances @Sandmeezy and @ProMed13!!

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE for making 2014 so memorable and wonderful! I love this community so much and I can't wait to hear all the good news from you all (especially all of you I mentioned above and also you seven amazing folks, @BengaliBrat, @Ace Khalifa, @breakintheroof, @WinterSoldier93, @onceawolverine, @spockprime and @ProbablyAPenguin) in 2015! Here's a to New Year filled with lots of joy, laughter, new friends, blessings and success!

Thanks for allowing me to be sentimental ;) :p Have a safe, fun and HAPPY NEW YEAR guys!!! :love:

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
There is no post that can top the long, thoughtful, and kind post by @researchismymiddlename, so all I'm going to say is: May this be the year where all your wildest dreams come true!

And now ...

Somebody start the countdown :hardy:!!!

Happy New Year!

Happy new year everyone! I kind of left for a while when winter break started and vacation began. I am so thankful to have had all y'all to hold me together during the trying process that is applying to medical school. Best of luck for the year ahead and I look forward to classes starting again so I can begin procrastinating on sdn again!

Reactions: 8 users
Happy New Year!!!! This is going to be a great year full of wonderful, exciting changes!! :) :biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
Happy New Year, everyone! Hope y'all have had an amazing holiday season!

Happy NY all!
Anyone been to Germany? Attempting to stealthily plan a trip for my dad and I and looking for suggestions. Planning on doing Southern Germany cause it's where our family is from.

Happy NY all!
Anyone been to Germany? Attempting to stealthily plan a trip for my dad and I and looking for suggestions. Planning on doing Southern Germany cause it's where our family is from.

I haven't been in a long time nor did I spend much time in Germany, but I certainly enjoyed the visit that I did have to Southern Germany! I really liked the Neuschwanstein Castle haha :) I also have relatives in Stuttgart, and they speak very highly of the area.

Reactions: 1 users
Happy NY all!
OOOO I lived in Germany for a month. And then in Austria for 5 months. I liked Austria better! But PM me about Germany if you want!

How many schools do "distinction tracks" or something of that nature? I am trying to decide if I should do one or not, and how beneficial it is to gaining a residency position.

Happy NY all!

Wow, aren't you the best son ever?
I've only been to east Germany, but I think Frankfurt and Munich would be your major hubs. Bavaria ought to be gorgeous in the spring/summertime and I believe Stuttgart has a massive springtime beer festival. Enjoy your time in Süddeutschland!

PS: Be sure to by yourself a nice big bowl of spaghettieis! (Seriously, the strangest dessert trend I have come across).
tumblr_m4asqtMq6L1r589b7.jpg

Happy new year. When do we start filling the Fasfa?

I believe you can start it today, but you won't have all the necessary info until you receive your W-2 forms (usually mid-late Jan). If your schools require NeedAccess, that opened up a few days ago, but it still requires the same tax info as the FAFSA. Most med schools seemed to want finaid info by March, so we've got time. :)

So I guess all we can do is sit and wait...

I believe you can start it today, but you won't have all the necessary info until you receive your W-2 forms (usually mid-late Jan). If your schools require NeedAccess, that opened up a few days ago, but it still requires the same tax info as the FAFSA. Most med schools seemed to want finaid info by March, so we've got time. :)

So I guess all we can do is sit and wait...
Today I went through and pulled all the info for all the schools that I need to fill out fin aid for. 16 schools with 16 different requirement variations and submission methods. Sigh. So much work.

I haven't been in a long time nor did I spend much time in Germany, but I certainly enjoyed the visit that I did have to Southern Germany! I really liked the Neuschwanstein Castle haha :) I also have relatives in Stuttgart, and they speak very highly of the area.

OOOO I lived in Germany for a month. And then in Austria for 5 months. I liked Austria better! But PM me about Germany if you want!

Wow, aren't you the best son ever?
I've only been to east Germany, but I think Frankfurt and Munich would be your major hubs. Bavaria ought to be gorgeous in the spring/summertime and I believe Stuttgart has a massive springtime beer festival. Enjoy your time in Süddeutschland!

PS: Be sure to by yourself a nice big bowl of spaghettieis! (Seriously, the strangest dessert trend I have come across).
tumblr_m4asqtMq6L1r589b7.jpg

Thanks everybody! I might have gone overboard and checked out 4 travel books from the library last night... I must admit my impetus for this trip was Richard Wallace's talk at Duke.

Today I went through and pulled all the info for all the schools that I need to fill out fin aid for. 16 schools with 16 different requirement variations and submission methods. Sigh. So much work.

Ugh, not doing FAFSA is one of my favorite things about my gap years.

Happy new year. When do we start filling the Fasfa?

You can start filling out your FAFSA now. If the process is the same as it was during undergrad, and I am pretty sure it is, you can turn it in now with the "will file" tax option for both you and your parents (if applicable). You can always amend this later. Most schools require all the information in by March-April, so you have time to get file your taxes and correct your FAFSA info. Just make sure to get yourself in that queue because that may be the difference between receiving loan-only help and loans+grants during medical school.

You can start filling out your FAFSA now. If the process is the same as it was during undergrad, and I am pretty sure it is, you can turn it in now with the "will file" tax option for both you and your parents (if applicable). You can always amend this later. Most schools require all the information in by March-April, so you have time to get file your taxes and correct your FAFSA info. Just make sure to get yourself in that queue because that may be the difference between receiving loan-only help and loans+grants during medical school.
Don't most schools have a formula for this so everyone is in an equal playing field if they submit before the deadline?

The financial aid stuff is the biggest thing that worries me about late interviews.

Also, I got a call from one of my friends last night. He's an md/phd that I met when he was a fellow at my first job. He's been a great friend to me over the years and made me feel like family and was generally just awesome. He got me totally psyched up for school haha.

Yesterday was only the first of January and I started making a list of scholarships to apply. Everyone should do the same. We have approximately 6 months to get everything together. I also started my Fasfa but since I had like 3 jobs I would have to wait till I get my W2s.

I usually do my taxes with my mom but this time I am going to do it as single. I do not know if this is better for med school....

Yesterday was only the first of January and I started making a list of scholarships to apply. Everyone should do the same. We have approximately 6 months to get everything together. I also started my Fasfa but since I had like 3 jobs I would have to wait till I get my W2s.

I usually do my taxes with my mom but this time I am going to do it as single. I do not know if this is better for med school....
It doesn't matter. You parental info are required anyway. So you should do your tax the ways that gives you the most deductible.

Unless you are over 30 or 35, for some schools they consider you financially independent.

Thanks everybody! I might have gone overboard and checked out 4 travel books from the library last night... I must admit my impetus for this trip was Richard Wallace's talk at Duke.

Ugh, not doing FAFSA is one of my favorite things about my gap years.
I've been to Berlin and Dresden and have also hosted 4 exchange students from there so I may be able to help too!

If you don't mind, what scholarships did you manage to find? I did some hunting off of the lists I was supplied with at interviews, but all the ones I seemed to find stipulated certain career paths (primary care, public health, etc.) or were reserved for certain geographic locations/ethnicities (none of which I was a part of).

And +1 to what @FriendlyFH said. To the best of my knowledge you will have to include parental info if you want to receive institutional grants/scholarships.

Wait... so should we submit before we file our 2014 taxes? I usually file soon after I receive my W-2s, so I was hoping just to send this all in by the end of January/early February.

Also had multiple sources of employment so wooooo for more sifting through legalese. The self-employment stuff is a real headache to sort through, but hey... they're all "life skills." :dead:

If you don't mind, what scholarships did you manage to find? I did some hunting off of the lists I was supplied with at interviews, but all the ones I seemed to find stipulated certain career paths (primary care, public health, etc.) or were reserved for certain geographic locations/ethnicities (none of which I was a part of).

And +1 to what @FriendlyFH said. To the best of my knowledge you will have to include parental info if you want to receive institutional grants/scholarships.

Wait... so should we submit before we file our 2014 taxes? I usually file soon after I receive my W-2s, so I was hoping just to send this all in by the end of January/early February.

Also had multiple sources of employment so wooooo for more sifting through legalese. The self-employment stuff is a real headache to sort through, but hey... they're all "life skills." :dead:

I am pretty certain that you can. At least I did as an undergrad. You submit with the "will file" option checked and provide an estimate for the previous year of employment for you/your parents if taxes were filed. Once you file your taxes for that year, you can amend the FAFSA. Submitting it prior to filing taxes allows you to "get in line" to receive aid at your institution while you gather all the information you need.

I'm pretty excited for the 2nd half of this med school application game. I think it starts monday. Who's in?

WOOT! Lets go team!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I am pretty certain that you can. At least I did as an undergrad. You submit with the "will file" option checked and provide an estimate for the previous year of employment for you/your parents if taxes were filed. Once you file your taxes for that year, you can amend the FAFSA. Submitting it prior to filing taxes allows you to "get in line" to receive aid at your institution while you gather all the information you need.

I've never been so motivated to do my taxes.

Although I've been a model citizen as far as I can remember, it's still kind of scary to fill out the background check form online. What if I have something mistakenly added onto my file? What if I was in prison but have no memory of it? What if I'm not who I think I am?

:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
Neurotic for absolutely no reason!
:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Reactions: 9 users
Although I've been a model citizen for the most part, it's still kind of scary to fill out the background check form online. What if I have something mistakenly added onto my file? What if I was in prison but have no memory of it? What if I'm not what I think I am?

Neurotic for absolutely no reason!

Hahahaha @claduva94 and I had this exact conversation yesterday. It's weirdly nerve wracking! I have never gotten so much as a speeding ticket and I'm all nervous about it. Oh, irrationality. I think we will all be fine though ;)

Hahahaha @claduva94 and I had this exact conversation yesterday. It's weirdly nerve wracking! I have never gotten so much as a speeding ticket and I'm all nervous about it. Oh, irrationality. I think we will all be fine though ;)
Wat? Are we supposed to be doing this already? I never got an email about it...

Wat? Are we supposed to be doing this already? I never got an email about it...
Not all schools have requested it. It's probably few quick acting schools that made the first requests. Don't worry @ProbablyAPenguin ! I've never heard anyone who couldn't enroll because of not receiving background check request in the past.