Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1
Nada here.
YAYYY! Good to hear :)

In other news I talked to my father about FAFSA yesterday. His exact words were "Well sometimes it takes me up to six months to get my taxes filed, but I'll see what I can do."

WTF now in full on panic mode! My parents aren't together so my father has never had to fill out FAFSA, as he isn't in the picture financially as far as providing for college goes - but that's a no go for med school. *Sigh* I get the feeling that this is going to be one big headache.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users

In other news I talked to my dad about FAFSA yesterday. His exact words were "Well sometimes it takes me up to six months to get my taxes filed, but I'll see what I can do."

WTF now in full on panic mode! My parents aren't together so my dad has never had to fill out FAFSA as he isn't in the picture financially as far as providing for college goes - but that's a no go for med school FAFSA I'm afraid. *Sigh* I get the feeling that this is going to be one big headache.

Oh gosh, this is confusing! I thought the deadline was April 15th? (I'm that paranoid goober who chips away at their TurboTax forms the instant they get their W-2 and I actually do my parents' taxes for them haha).

I filled out the FAFSA waaay back in 2010, but haven't done so since. My state school's tuition only cost 7K per year, which I was able to cover via my employment so I'm lost when it comes to finaid forms. :shrug:

Hope everything works out on your end, Penguin! :( Big breaths, everyone.

In other news I talked to my father about FAFSA yesterday. His exact words were "Well sometimes it takes me up to six months to get my taxes filed, but I'll see what I can do."

WTF now in full on panic mode! My parents aren't together so my father has never had to fill out FAFSA, as he isn't in the picture financially as far as providing for college goes - but that's a no go for med school. *Sigh* I get the feeling that this is going to be one big headache.
:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:
Second your WTF sentiment

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh gosh, this is confusing! I thought the deadline was April 15th? (I'm that paranoid goober who chips away at their TurboTax forms the instant they get their W-2 and I actually do my parents' taxes for them haha).

I filled out the FAFSA waaay back in 2010, but haven't done so since. My state school's tuition only cost 7K per year, which I was able to cover via my employment so I'm lost when it comes to finaid forms. :shrug:

Hope everything works out on your end, Penguin! :( Big breaths, everyone.

Yep! And apparently my father routinely turns in his taxes late. I've never been super concerned with taxes because I've always been tax exempt. The one time I actually had to do them, I was in Austria so my mother did it for me. However I'm definitely considering flying back home to figure out my father's taxes for him... can't be too hard right? o_O

According to the interwebs, FAFSA takes like an hour to do if you have all your paperwork together...

I think (through browsing last year's thread about Certiphi) some people did not get the initial email, but would get a "second" email prompting them to quickly complete the background check.

I've been having similar thoughts about the background check and credit report. Mostly because even if I could remember every single address, I wouldn't have enough spots to fill them in! I have been using google maps to figure them out...mainly because my family is bad about this kind of stuff and some of them are truly awful people.

But hey, if I can pass a government background check, I can certainly pass this one, right? Right?! *bites nails*

I think (through browsing last year's thread about Certiphi) some people did not get the initial email, but would get a "second" email prompting them to quickly complete the background check.

I've been having similar thoughts about the background check and credit report. Mostly because even if I could remember every single address, I wouldn't have enough spots to fill them in! I have been using google maps to figure them out...mainly because my family is bad about this kind of stuff and some of them are truly awful people.

But hey, if I can pass a government background check, I can certainly pass this one, right? Right?! *bites nails*

+1 totally echo your sentiments. One of my background checks asked for me to include contact info for neighbours from all my past addresses... and my parents couldn't even recall some of the addresses, let alone contact info for neighbours! :dead: We ended up leaving a lot of things blank, but I passed the check so it ought to be no biggie.

Got a polygraph interview done for my govt work and I was a bundle of nerves the whole while, despite having a clean record. Definitely an odd experience. I always feel the same way whenever I get a drug test done, like "Oh no, what if I was drugged by someone and had a case of selective amnesia?"

Ah, yes. Don't we all love needless neuroticism?

Oh my gosh for some reason I thought the past addresses was only for the past ten years.... I did not include two childhood homes that I lived in briefly in elementary school and younger. Uh-oh! Will this be a problem? I sincerely hope not... Ahh!

+1 totally echo your sentiments. One of my background checks asked for me to include contact info for neighbours from all my past addresses... and my parents couldn't even recall some of the addresses, let alone contact info for neighbours! :dead: We ended up leaving a lot of things blank, but I passed the check so it ought to be no biggie.

Got a polygraph interview done for my govt work and I was a bundle of nerves the whole while, despite having a clean record. Definitely an odd experience. I always feel the same way whenever I get a drug test done, like "Oh no, what if I was drugged by someone and had a case of selective amnesia?"

Ah, yes. Don't we all love needless neuroticism?

The needless neuroticism is fantastic...I had a similar background check and my SO ended up receiving four surveys to complete since I had to list him four times. He was not pleased haha.

My PI was worried about my background check and he joked "Man womanofscience, your background check is taking a long time to process. Were you involved in criminal activity?"

That's when my eyes went really wide and I started to second-guess myself.

Reactions: 2 users
The needless neuroticism is fantastic...I had a similar background check and my SO ended up receiving four surveys to complete since I had to list him four times. He was not pleased haha.

My PI was worried about my background check and he joked "Man womanofscience, your background check is taking a long time to process. Were you involved in criminal activity?"

That's when my eyes went really wide and I started to second-guess myself.

I kept asking myself the same thing since I filled out the questionnaire. Every time I ask myself, I become less sure of everything in my life. Mine asked me for additional foreign government ID number. Additional reason to be neurotic: Has everything I've done/said that can be traced by my government so far was okay with the rather "strict" political environment of my home country? Ugh. Let's hope this thing goes through smoothly as how it should be. I've always been good.

Oh my gosh for some reason I thought the past addresses was only for the past ten years.... I did not include two childhood homes that I lived in briefly in elementary school and younger. Uh-oh! Will this be a problem? I sincerely hope not... Ahh!

I am not really sure! If it's for the past 10 years, that would be great. I think that they want as many addresses as possible (from past threads). I think you should be fine, but I will try to find a more concrete answer!

Not worried about background check because I've never been arrested. Seriously y'all, stop worrying so much.

Any penalty for not filling out FAFSA?

I did the background check stuff too.

Weirdly enough though apparently my account was already made with my email, and I had to "sign back in", instead of making a new one. Don't know if I ever made it before lol...

I kept asking myself the same thing since I filled out the questionnaire. Every time I ask myself, I become less sure of everything in my life. Mine asked me for additional foreign government ID number. Additional reason to be neurotic: Has everything I've done/said that can be traced by my government so far was okay with the rather "strict" political environment of my home country? Ugh. Let's hope this thing goes through smoothly as how it should be. I've always been good.

Wishing you the best of luck! I have always tried to be good as possible, but I am nervous if they will pull up immediate family member's information. I think that this is just needless worry, but I can never be too sure!

After talking to my SO for awhile about a lot of this, he said that the hardest part is over (interviewing/decisions).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! And apparently my father routinely turns in his taxes late. I've never been super concerned with taxes because I've always been tax exempt. The one time I actually had to do them, I was in Austria so my mother did it for me. However I'm definitely considering flying back home to figure out my father's taxes for him... can't be too hard right? o_O

According to the interwebs, FAFSA takes like an hour to do if you have all your paperwork together...

My parents won't have theirs 100% done by some of the deadlines for a couple of schools, so I'm planning on estimating from last year and updating later. Luckily their AGI doesn't change too much so it should be pretty close.

My parents won't have theirs 100% done by some of the deadlines for a couple of schools, so I'm planning on estimating from last year and updating later. Luckily their AGI doesn't change too much so it should be pretty close.
are any deadlines before april 1?

are any deadlines before april 1?

Hopkins has their "priority deadline" set for March 15. They actually set up in-person finaid appointments during the second look weekend, where they'll individually go over your finaid estimate with you.

And in other news: a minor earthquake recently rumbled through LA, while I was laying in my bed (pants-less) watching Netflix. Whew. Close one. Don't know if I would have had enough time to find pants before seeking shelter.

Reactions: 5 users
Hopkins has their "priority deadline" set for March 15. They actually set up in-person finaid appointments during the second look weekend, where they'll individually go over your finaid estimate with you.

And in other news: a minor earthquake recently rumbled through LA, while I was laying in my bed (pants-less) watching Netflix. Whew. Close one. Don't know if I would have had enough time to find pants before seeking shelter.
And I can't sleep with pants on...so maybe no SoCal for me? whoops TMI.

Reactions: 2 users
And I can't sleep with pants on...so maybe no SoCal for me? whoops TMI.

The last semi-decent earthquake I experienced was while I was having a bubble bath. :dead: Whenever Californians talk about "the Big One" coming, I always start to fear whether or not I'll be buck naked when it hits...

And nah, I sleep pantsless 'errynight. Comfort > dignity in the event of an emergency.

The last semi-decent earthquake I experienced was while I was having a bubble bath. :dead: Whenever Californians talk about "the Big One" coming, I always start to fear whether or not I'll be buck naked when it hits...

And nah, I sleep pantsless 'errynight. Comfort > dignity in the event of an emergency.
comfort>dignity behind closed doors at all time.

You know, I thought sleeping pantsless was the way to go too, but I bought a pair of pajama pants yesterday and oh my gosh. So comfy. So warm but not too warm. I am officially converted to a wearer of pajama pants.

Ladies and gentlemen

----Girls who sleep without pants discussion!

brought to you by the glorious and shameless Class of 2019

:welcome:

Reactions: 10 users
One should sleep like we were evolutionary made to. Naked.

Not sure if I should argue with the master of naps, but ... it gets hot where I live.

Blankets are optional ;).

Haha!! Fair enough. I just don't know that I could live in a world without blankets... In addition to the comforter, I really prefer having 4-8 soft plush blankets on my bed at night regardless of the outside temperature. I'm sort of obsessed with blankets actually. I often walk around with one draped around me like a cape. By often, I mean every second that I'm home because I find it uncomfortable to sit on a couch or a chair or a bed without being wrapped in a blanket. Plus warm and soft! And I bring one with me to school every day so I can put it on my lap in class :D

... Maybe I have a problem.

Edit: found it necessary to state that I did not bring a blanket to my interviews, though I did bring one as my carry on item for every trip.

You know, I thought sleeping pantsless was the way to go too, but I bought a pair of pajama pants yesterday and oh my gosh. So comfy. So warm but not too warm. I am officially converted to a wearer of pajama pants.

I bought a pair of pajama pants that are made from the fluffy winter socks material this winter and they're pretty glorious. Makes getting out of bed impossible. The only downside is that it attracts dog hair pretty easily.

PS. Hey 2019, what's up? You're all well on your way to being application veterans now :p

I bought a pair of pajama pants that are made from the fluffy winter socks material this winter and they're pretty glorious. Makes getting out of bed impossible. The only downside is that it attracts dog hair pretty easily.

PS. Hey 2019, what's up? You're all well on your way to being application veterans now :p

THAT SOUNDS BRILLIANT AND WONDERFUL!!!!!

Hello!! :D nice to hear from you!!!

Word. One of the few downsides of dogs. Other than that, they are the best.
Thanks, just that you are making us feel old...oh wait a second, I am old...:giggle:

Quick FAFSA related question again:

As an undergrad my parents filled out FAFSA and sent it to schools.

However, as a graduate student I'm the one who fills out a FAFSA and I can include my parents information only if I want need based aid? (For most schools.) Therefore, while I am relying on my parents to get their taxes done so I can accurately include my parents information in my FAFSA, I am not relying on my parents to fill out the actual FAFSA form, correct?

We still have pins? I thought at multiple fin aid sessions, I've been told FAFSA is doing away with the pin?
Also! Sorry if I sound dumb, but this is my first time filling out the FAFSA. In the app, it keeps saying "colleges" -- that still applies to us, right? especially this question: "
Your number of family members in 2015-2016 (household size)

How many people in your household will be in college in 2015-2016?"

To the best of my knowledge, "colleges" still applies to us. I believe we count ourselves in that "How many people in your household will be in college in 2015-2016?" (For example, I will be attending medical school and I have a younger sibling entering undergrad, so I will put down 2 people).

Ahhh these forms are quite the headache. I still have to round up all the finaid forms from my interview packets and figure out when my deadlines are... x___x

Wait what if you moving by yourself. I am going to another state

To the best of my knowledge, "colleges" still applies to us. I believe we count ourselves in that "How many people in your household will be in college in 2015-2016?" (For example, I will be attending medical school and I have a younger sibling entering undergrad, so I will put down 2 people).

Ahhh these forms are quite the headache. I still have to round up all the finaid forms from my interview packets and figure out when my deadlines are... x___x

The FAFSA is bad, but the Need Access is even more detailed, brace yourself.

haha thank you for clarifying that!

Ah ok well... I am looking at it right now, and I was planning on saying that I will be independent in 2015-2016 so my household is 1, and people in my household going to college is 1.

However, when filling out my parent's information (required) it also says that you must count yourself in their household. So in that case my parents would have a household of 4, with 2 people in college (my sister and myself).

@hellanutella, do you know if I'm allowed to do this?

I too am pulling together all this information into a big spreadsheet with 16 schools... and have suddenly found the downside to going to lots of interviews :(

The FAFSA is bad, but the Need Access is even more detailed, brace yourself.
Just started that bad boy yesterday... it was already asking for what medical specialty we were going to pursue?!? (Egads).

At least they have little pop-up footnotes for each question.

Ah ok well... I am looking at it right now, and I was planning on saying that I will be independent in 2015-2016 so my household is 1, and people in my household going to college is 1.

However, when filling out my parent's information (required) it also says that you must count yourself in their household. So in that case my parents would have a household of 4, with 2 people in college (my sister and myself).

@hellanutella, do you know if I'm allowed to do this?

I too am pulling together all this information into a big spreadsheet with 16 schools... and have suddenly found the downside to going to lots of interviews :(

I think that's legit – at least that's what I'm filling in (family total of 4, myself and a sibling pursuing higher education). Hope this is okay for us!

Yeah, I'm really hoping some of my schools get back to me this month, because I don't want to needlessly sift through their finaid requirements if I'm just going to end up with a low-priority waitlist or rejection.

Just started that bad boy yesterday... it was already asking for what medical specialty we were going to pursue?!? (Egads).

At least they have little pop-up footnotes for each question.

I think that's legit – at least that's what I'm filling in (family total of 4, myself and a sibling pursuing higher education). Hope this is okay for us!

Yeah, I'm really hoping some of my schools get back to me this month, because I don't want to needlessly sift through their finaid requirements if I'm just going to end up with a low-priority waitlist or rejection.

agreed -_- I'm even wondering if I should decline a few schools right now, but it wouldn't cut my work down much.

So you are saying that a) you are independent and have a household of you, but b) your parents household includes you?

What is this needs access? Am I supposed to fill out FAFSA as an independent or as a dependent of my parents? AHH I don't understand any of these things hahah

It's only required for certain schools and generally for institutional aid. I'd contact the fin aid office(s) and see what they want.

GAIZ

I'm_back!.gif

tumblr_inline_n63fsxha5m1s8mb88.gif

yeah_baby__hes_back.gif

images

images

im_back_bitches.gif

Reactions: 9 users
(I've actually been reading along for 2 months...got a 2-month post hold for TOS violation arguing with someone over a troll...LOL)

CONGRATS ON ALL THE ACCEPTANCES AND IIs OVER THE PAST TWO MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!! :biglove:

Y'all make me so excited for the next app cycle :D

Reactions: 8 users
Welcome back, @moop!

I'm really considering not filling out the FAFSA.....it sounds like too much trouble.

Welcome back, @moop!

I'm really considering not filling out the FAFSA.....it sounds like too much trouble.
I think you need to fill out FAFSA for any loans at all. But you can totally skip the needs access if you don't think you will qualify for need based aid! About 75 percent of my schools need the need access thing.

Okay thanks! Are people only doing this for accepted schools?
I'm doing it for accepted, waitlisted, and non rolling schools at which I've been waitlisted. Aka the 16 schools that I've interviewed at.

What is this needs access? Am I supposed to fill out FAFSA as an independent or as a dependent of my parents? AHH I don't understand any of these things hahah
I'm filling out FAFSA as an independent for what it's worth. Not sure if that's right but it's what I will be when I graduate?

I'm filling out FAFSA as an independent for what it's worth. Not sure if that's right but it's what I will be when I graduate?
The FAFSA should represent what your status was for the past year, so if you aren't considered an independent for the school in tax year 2014, you should put that.

Doing the same, but completing the optional parent sections. I'm only adding the places I've been accepted and hoping to add more if I get in anywhere else.

Right now I really need the rest of my tax stuff to hurry up, really need my 1099s ASAP.

The FAFSA should represent what your status was for the past year, so if you aren't considered an independent for the school in tax year 2014, you should put that.
I thought it asked what my status will be for next year but I'll re read it!

Wait so once you submit FAFSA you can go back and change it later?