Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All this snow is starting to make me regret not having applied to more schools in places that don't snow......

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
All this snow is starting to make me regret not having applied to more schools in places that don't snow......
That and it makes me wonder why my 3 legitimate options are in Minnesota, Colorado, and New York.

Reactions: 4 users
All this snow is making me very happy I didn't apply anywhere in the northeast so I don't have to go interview there ever. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It made me happy i have a decent chance of staying where it snows like this.

One question though: Why were you furious about an army recruiter talking to you? That didn't happen during my Miami interview (or any of them, for that matter), and it does sound odd, but why did it make you so mad? Really just trying to understand where you're coming from ...

Because it's not opt in and has nothing to do with the school. It's different if they have a slide in a ppt about it, but giving them a half hour of my time is uncalled for.

Because it's not opt in and has nothing to do with the school. It's different if they have a slide in a ppt about it, but giving them a half hour of my time is uncalled for.
Strange. I don't remember that presentation and I even did MD/MPH...

Reactions: 1 user
It's really not that bad, the snow. Everybody is sharing a semi doomsday sentiment. It's actually quite romantic. A bunch friends and I got together to watch the webcams of New York City hoping to see some beautiful snow apocalypse. We made kettle popcorn. Drizzled on top a full cup of melted butter. Thickly sprinkled with truffle salt, sugar and Mike's chili infused honey. Plus wine, cheese and two goofiest dogs who cannot stop dropping all over and begging aggressively. Too bad nothing come of the snow, so we ended up watching the show Friends.

Sorry for the peeps who had to reschedule interview trips though. I have no doubt that the schools will be super understanding about it.

Reactions: 3 users
I hear you. Honestly hadn't thought of it that way, thanks for sharing your perspective.

I hear you. Honestly hadn't thought of it that way, thanks for sharing your perspective.

Yeah, I have no problem with people that do it, but the recruiter was saying some pretty crazy things and was trying to get fourth year students to do the military match as well.

I'm staying with a bunch of fourth years from Umiami for the second site visit and they offered to host me again tonight since I'm stranded due to the blizzard.

They're all awesome and all my age and we had a blast just hanging out last night. I talked to one of them about the interview and he offered to speak to the MD/MPH heads at the site today for me and emailed them last night. I'm going to speak to them for a few minutes to discuss what happened yesterday. I don't think anything is going to come of it, but I guess they should know how big of a turnoff it was for the program.

I'm feeling slightly more hopeful, though disappointed in myself for answering questions about acceptances and how many programs I applied to etc.

I talked to one of them about the interview and he offered to speak to the MD/MPH heads at the site today for me and emailed them last night. I'm going to speak to them for a few minutes to discuss what happened yesterday. I don't think anything is going to come of it, but I guess they should know how big of a turnoff it was for the program.
Good on you for expressing yourself to them. This process won't improve without applicants' voices being heard. I hope they listen.

They shut down most of Manhattan over a few inches of snow :rolleyes: :confused: And I'm desperately looking for an open coffee/tea spot before I get to the office...
I mean seriously, do people in Wisconsin and Minnesota live underground during the winter?!

Members don't see this ad :)
They shut down most of Manhattan over a few inches of snow :rolleyes: :confused: And I'm desperately looking for an open coffee/tea spot before I get to the office...
I mean seriously, do people in Wisconsin and Minnesota live underground during the winter?!
No, we're just not wimps.

HEYOOOOOOOOO

Reactions: 5 users
This unexpected day off is going to make the waiting feel even longer, hoping to hear from 3 schools by sunday.

On the plus side I'm waiting for some no-knead bread to rise, braising some beef in red wine, and pondering making some soft pretzels to bring for my coworkers tomorrow.

A last-minute easterly wind made this two-footer into a seven-incher. Hindsight is 20/20.

NYC is not a wimp city for snow,
guys lol. I got 1 snow day here after 13 years in the public/private school system.

This unexpected day off is going to make the waiting feel even longer, hoping to hear from 3 schools by sunday.

On the plus side I'm waiting for some no-knead bread to rise, braising some beef in red wine, and pondering making some soft pretzels to bring for my coworkers tomorrow.
I'm joining you for one of those schools. Good luck!

And I disagree with Ace re: being greedy.
I've spent a lot of time and money to come here because one of my top choices, feeling insulted during the interview wasnt on the agenda. I'm already in somewhere, I could go for a real vacation somewhere.

The program is still on my shortlist because it's got everything I want out of an education, but certain things are unnecessary. Apparently my interviewers family has donated millions to the school. Doesn't give someone license to be a dick.

Just throwing this out there: if serious mishaps arose during your interviews and if you don't feel comfortable approaching the school about it: a possible way to express your opinion is to do that through your premedical deans at your home institution and let them reach out to the med schools "our student(s) experienced such and such issues during interview process." It comes off as more objective and the opinion is less likely to be dismissed for arrogance. Med schools should have strong interest to make sure the deans feel comfortable recommending them students.

January is coming to a close.... what is the last day schools can notify you of their post-interview decision? Is it March 30th?

And I disagree with Ace re: being greedy.
I've spent a lot of time and money to come here because one of my top choices, feeling insulted during the interview wasnt on the agenda. I'm already in somewhere, I could go for a real vacation somewhere.

The program is still on my shortlist because it's got everything I want out of an education, but certain things are unnecessary. Apparently my interviewers family has donated millions to the school. Doesn't give someone license to be a dick.
You run the risk of sounding entitled if this is your prevailing attitude. Remember, no one deserves or is entitled to a seat in medical school. As someone who had to wait until January for their first acceptance, I'm incredibly grateful. Would I appreciate more acceptances? Yeah. Do I think I am entitled to them? Hell no. I'm sorry you had a bad interviewer. I would suggest following everyone else's advice and letting the school know about your experience so they can try to fix it.

You run the risk of sounding entitled if this is your prevailing attitude. Remember, no one deserves or is entitled to a seat in medical school. As someone who had to wait until January for their first acceptance, I'm incredibly grateful. Would I appreciate more acceptances? Yeah. Do I think I am entitled to them? Hell no. I'm sorry you had a bad interviewer. I would suggest following everyone else's advice and letting the school know about your experience so they can try to fix it.
Glad to have you on board, Ace!

The way I see it:
Pre-acceptance response to a bad interview on the school's part: Well, I currently need the school more than they need me. I just want an acceptance...I just want to be what they want me to be....

Post-acceptance response '' '': Screw you guys, I'm going to (insert school name here) instead!

Glad to have you on board, Ace!

The way I see it:
Pre-acceptance response to a bad interview on the school's part: Well, I currently need the school more than they need me. I just want an acceptance...I just want to be what they want me to be....

Post-acceptance response '' '': Screw you guys, I'm going to (insert school name here) instead!
That's actually the attitude that got me accepted at Vermont. I realized I had an acceptance to my second choice and thus stopped stressing about the MMI haha.

Hey, guys. . .a warm and fuzzy thought on a cold and snowy day: we are here to support one another, right? I agree with @aprimenumber on this one, and appreciate the humor. (I love a good "Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah!!" I'm so mature!) But it's okay, right, to complain here to the other patients on the High Anxiety Ward? Sometimes we can just vent, true? So few "not us" folks can understand all that goes into every step of this process--the outlay of money, the time devoted to writing essays that may get a three-minute glance from some readers or under some circumstances, the tension of waiting for invitations and then for decisions--all that being tied in knots stuff. So it's totally cool to try to get the unhappy poster, whoever that may be, to reframe the source of irritation. But I just want to double-check--it's also fine just to write what we really feel at some moment of dejection, exhilaration, or whatever, knowing that the emotion does not reflect an intellectual commitment to the complaint? (I do so hope I'm right about this, coz I'm not so great at censorship.)

Just to 'fess up, @Ace Khalifa, in his consolatory words, never used the loaded term "greedy." That was me, and the criticism was self-directed. I remember pleading to my Higher Power that one, just one, acceptance would be sufficient for my needs, and promising to displace Mother Teresa as a Paragon of Virtue if my prayer were to be granted. And then there was an addendum. And another. And then a few more. I kept requesting more. . .and haven't quite begun to keep my own side of the bargain. (I am still wicked.) So apologies if the accusation of greed sounded as if it were directed at my friends here, and especially if I came across as attributing my own viewpoint to Ace Khalifa.

Now I am going to get the husky team ready for our trek across the ice and wait patiently for hours beside the hole I make in it, until that seal surfaces for air. My family needs that blubber. . . .

Reactions: 5 users
And I was just about to provide a bland version of "it's ok to vent about a shoddy interview, even after you've been accepted," but luckily, @BengaliBrat chimed in with her usual magnificent rendition.

original.gif

Exito!

Attachments

• 1422389377686.jpg
    1422389377686.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 38

I'm pretty sure that's what I told you when you were kvetching less than a month ago, but read my post again. I never said I was entitled to a seat. I'm entitled to not being treated like crap at an interview with a very clear power dynamic. There's a difference.

I'm already going to school so it really doesn't matter, but I just spent a ton of money to come here and I'm entitled to a fair interview regardless of how famous the dick interviewing me is.

And I did notify the school, that's all you needed to say. I'm glad you found a nice soapbox though. Shrug.

I'm pretty sure that's what I told you when you were kvetching less than a month ago, but read my post again. I never said I was entitled to a seat. I'm entitled to not being treated like crap at an interview with a very clear power dynamic. There's a difference.

I'm already going to school so it really doesn't matter, but I just spent a ton of money to come here and I'm entitled to a fair interview regardless of how famous the dick interviewing me is.

And I did notify the school, that's all you needed to say. I'm glad you found a nice soapbox though. Shrug.
I wasn't trying to devalue your experience. I apologize if it sounded that way. I appreciate that you and others on here gave me that same advice a month ago because it really has given me a better perspective on the whole process and some improved life satisfaction too. To me, it almost sounded like entitlement for the wrong reason, so I'm sorry for assuming that.

I agree that no amount of fame or prestige gives anyone the right to be a dick. I hope that Miami responds and axes that interviewer you had. I hope they give you some semblance of a second chance too.

Hey, guys. . .a warm and fuzzy thought on a cold and snowy day: we are here to support one another, right? I agree with @aprimenumber on this one, and appreciate the humor. (I love a good "Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah!!" I'm so mature!) But it's okay, right, to complain here to the other patients on the High Anxiety Ward? Sometimes we can just vent, true? So few "not us" folks can understand all that goes into every step of this process--the outlay of money, the time devoted to writing essays that may get a three-minute glance from some readers or under some circumstances, the tension of waiting for invitations and then for decisions--all that being tied in knots stuff. So it's totally cool to try to get the unhappy poster, whoever that may be, to reframe the source of irritation. But I just want to double-check--it's also fine just to write what we really feel at some moment of dejection, exhilaration, or whatever, knowing that the emotion does not reflect an intellectual commitment to the complaint? (I do so hope I'm right about this, coz I'm not so great at censorship.)

Just to 'fess up, @Ace Khalifa, in his consolatory words, never used the loaded term "greedy." That was me, and the criticism was self-directed. I remember pleading to my Higher Power that one, just one, acceptance would be sufficient for my needs, and promising to displace Mother Teresa as a Paragon of Virtue if my prayer were to be granted. And then there was an addendum. And another. And then a few more. I kept requesting more. . .and haven't quite begun to keep my own side of the bargain. (I am still wicked.) So apologies if the accusation of greed sounded as if it were directed at my friends here, and especially if I came across as attributing my own viewpoint to Ace Khalifa.

Now I am going to get the husky team ready for our trek across the ice and wait patiently for hours beside the hole I make in it, until that seal surfaces for air. My family needs that blubber. . . .

You describe that vicious cycle so eloquently. My timeline of med school "greed" evolved as such:
May 2014: even if I just get one interview... and am subsequently rejected... I'll be the happiest camper in the world!
July 2014: okay, fine. I really want to be accepted. If I get accepted to just one school, even if it's off the the waitlist in the middle of July 2015, costs 800K worth of loans/year, and is in the middle of Buttcrump, Flyover-State I'll be ecstatic!
August 2014: nevermind. I want to be accepted sooner rather than later. Please please be October 15th. I don't care if the schools costs way too much money and is somewhere I dislike.
October 15th: holy crap! I was accepted! Life is too good to me!
October 16th: y'know what... I'd like to be accepted to Fancy Smantzy School of Medicine. If I get just that one acceptance, I can die happy.
December 2014: damn! I was accepted to my #1. I guess I will be dying happy!
Dec-Jan 2015: ~walking on sunshine~
Jan 20th: wait. This is not enough. I want to attend my top pick and get a really awesome aid package and get a puppy. And... a lifetime supply of gourmet mac n' cheese, which is constantly fresh, warm, and at the ready and never causes me to gain weight. Then I'll truly know happiness.

When I began this cycle, I never though I'd fall prey to greed. Whenever I began to veer back onto that cycle of "this is not enough," I'd take some time out to reflect on how stupidly lucky I am. Geez, it's astounding that I've made it this far through life and have been so privileged... I really have no valid reason to complain. Check out the little blurb on pyrrion89's MDapps to bring things back into perspective.

But I TOTALLY understand the post-awful-interview feelings. I was upset and angry over one of my interview flops because I spent about $400 to get a flight out to a teensy airport, spent another $250 on hotelling because there were no evening flights, and had to miss a really awesome conference that I was scheduled to present at. To scrounge up the cash to go to these interviews I had to sell half of my kitchen appliances, clothes, furniture, and personal artwork (which really broke my heart, but you gotta do what you gotta do), take on a weekend job, and discontinue whatever hobbies I had that were not 100% free. But y'know what; there'd be people who kill to have just one shot to interview... even if it turns out top be a less-than-positive experience. It not "fair," but med school admissions really is a seller's market... until you get accepted. ;) You just have to hunker down and play the game.

Reactions: 12 users
And just to re-echo everyone's sentiments: stress/adversarial interviews are no fun. However, aside from reporting the interviewer (assuming they were genuinely out of line), there's nothing much you can do. :(

Strangely enough, I was accepted to 2/3 of the schools where I experienced "aggressive" interviewers. None were out-of-line, but it definitely was not a friendly, encouraging interaction I had. I personally would never interview someone in this manner, but for others it's their style. :shrug: Post-interview impressions typically count for jack and interviewers are typically not a reliable indicator of the school's atmosphere. It doesn't stop these experiences from colouring our impressions, but so it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I wasn't trying to devalue your experience. I apologize if it sounded that way. I appreciate that you and others on here gave me that same advice a month ago because it really has given me a better perspective on the whole process and some improved life satisfaction too. To me, it almost sounded like entitlement for the wrong reason, so I'm sorry for assuming that.

I agree that no amount of fame or prestige gives anyone the right to be a dick. I hope that Miami responds and axes that interviewer you had. I hope they give you some semblance of a second chance too.

Yeah, because of personal and family situations, all the money I have in my name is what I've earned in the last year so taking a trip like this isn't without concern for me. It's not about the potential of rejection, but feeling a hostile and unwelcoming experience for what represented a significant experience on an applicants part. If you don't think I belong at a school, then don't interview me

What threw me off about Miami is that your interviewer is one of the people that fought for your interview. So the experience just left me entirely confused. I didn't expect it to be a cakewalk but this was just weird.

That's enough of that from me. I'm hanging out on the beach. It's only 70 and windy, but I'm hoping to get some color before I return to a snowmaggedeon. Then to brush myself off and interview on thurs to wrap it all up.

Pyrrion89's little blurb is definitely an inspirational read, for sure! After getting into my top and second choice I withdrew from all but a few programs and the ones I didn't withdraw from I didn't do so because there was too much effort involved (yes, writing an email is too much effort compared to clicking a button). I'm starting to get some interview invites from some of them and am having a hard time mostly because of the free lunches but also a little bit because of the ego like what pyrrion talks about.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't judge anyone who is holding on to 3+ acceptances nor do I think its "greedy." I think you've earned them and should be able to do whatever you like with them and celebrate your success! I also echo what bengalibrat says that we should all be supporting each other, after all, we're all in this together!

Holding acceptances also makes sense if money is a huge concern.

Yeah, because of personal and family situations, all the money I have in my name is what I've earned in the last year so taking a trip like this isn't without concern for me. It's not about the potential of rejection, but feeling a hostile and unwelcoming experience for what represented a significant experience on an applicants part. If you don't think I belong at a school, then don't interview me

What threw me off about Miami is that your interviewer is one of the people that fought for your interview. So the experience just left me entirely confused. I didn't expect it to be a cakewalk but this was just weird.

That's enough of that from me. I'm hanging out on the beach. It's only 70 and windy, but I'm hoping to get some color before I return to a snowmaggedeon. Then to brush myself off and interview on thurs to wrap it all up.
Understood.

I also felt like my interviewer wasn't totally rooting for me either, but definitely not to the extent you unfortunately faced.

Have a good remaining time in Miami! I miss it already haha.

@Cyberdyne 101, thank you. . .but now EVERYbody has seen me in my sparkly white interview dress! Who took that photo in between my spiels about "Why medicine? Why this school?" ? :lol:

We love you, @ridethecliche ! And now I have something new and interesting to contemplate. . .Famous Dicks! So many permutations of this as a party game! (Sending you big hugs and total agreement. . .)

You describe that vicious cycle so eloquently. My timeline of med school "greed" evolved as such:
May 2014: even if I just get one interview... and am subsequently rejected... I'll be the happiest camper in the world!
July 2014: okay, fine. I really want to be accepted. If I get accepted to just one school, even if it's off the the waitlist in the middle of July 2015, costs 800K worth of loans/year, and is in the middle of Buttcrump, Flyover-State I'll be ecstatic!
August 2014: nevermind. I want to be accepted sooner rather than later. Please please be October 15th. I don't care if the schools costs way too much money and is somewhere I dislike.
October 15th: holy crap! I was accepted! Life is too good to me!
October 16th: y'know what... I'd like to be accepted to Fancy Smantzy School of Medicine. If I get just that one acceptance, I can die happy.
December 2014: damn! I was accepted to my #1. I guess I will be dying happy!
Dec-Jan 2015: ~walking on sunshine~
Jan 20th: wait. This is not enough. I want to attend my top pick and get a really awesome aid package and get a puppy. And... a lifetime supply of gourmet mac n' cheese, which is constantly fresh, warm, and at the ready and never causes me to gain weight. Then I'll truly know happiness.

When I began this cycle, I never though I'd fall prey to greed. Whenever I began to veer back onto that cycle of "this is not enough," I'd take some time out to reflect on how stupidly lucky I am. Geez, it's astounding that I've made it this far through life and have been so privileged... I really have no valid reason to complain. Check out the little blurb on pyrrion89's MDapps to bring things back into perspective.

But I TOTALLY understand the post-awful-interview feelings. I was upset and angry over one of my interview flops because I spent about $400 to get a flight out to a teensy airport, spent another $250 on hotelling because there were no evening flights, and had to miss a really awesome conference that I was scheduled to present at. To scrounge up the cash to go to these interviews I had to sell half of my kitchen appliances, clothes, furniture, and personal artwork (which really broke my heart, but you gotta do what you gotta do), take on a weekend job, and discontinue whatever hobbies I had that were not 100% free. But y'know what; there'd be people who kill to have just one shot to interview... even if it turns out top be a less-than-positive experience. It not "fair," but med school admissions really is a seller's market... until you get accepted. ;) You just have to hunker down and play the game.

Holding acceptances also makes sense if money is a huge concern.
Yeah, I'm gonna keep all until after financial aid. I did turn down a couple of II's and withdrew off post-interview hold after an acceptance at one of my top choices. Just don't oodles of acceptances until the last day like some people have done in the past.

Great description, @hellanutella! I started laughing out loud (which made me question my mental health!) I especially liked the puppy and the non-caloric gourmet mac n' cheese details! How's about when we are prominent physicians and are wealthy and give five-minute sound bite medical advice on major network TV, we write a hilarious expose best-seller? I wanna be the New Female Sanjay Gupta. (I refuse to be Mehmet Oz, whatever the gender.) Who do you wanna be?

In any case, thanks for the humor! Loved it! :claps:

Y'all just be happy you're accepted. I'm just here in my lonely little unaccepted corner....
o72HHeB.jpg

hahahahaha jkjk. What happened while I was gone??!?!?! Let's all be happy~

Anyways, it's miserable here in DC. I hate the cold. I hate the snow. Thank goodness I'm not in NY or Boston.

I love this city tho. So much history and so much good food. I'm getting too fat....

Y'all just be happy you're accepted. I'm just here in my lonely little unaccepted corner....
o72HHeB.jpg

Anyways, it's miserable here in DC. I hate the cold. I hate the snow. Thank goodness I'm not in NY or Boston.

I love this city tho. So much history and so much good food. I'm getting too fat....
DID YOU GO TO NANDO'S YET

o72HHeB.jpg

Wishing you good news, @joonage, and really soon!

Well wishes and positivity to everyone. Myself included. Just one of those days....

But everything works out one way or another, right? Right. :)

Very silly question about the background check. The options are "Release", "Dispute" and beneath that it says "Distribute". Do I just click release and then that's it? Ignore the distribute option? I'm scared to click on anything

Very silly question about the background check. The options are "Release", "Dispute" and beneath that it says "Distribute". Do I just click release and then that's it? Ignore the distribute option? I'm scared to click on anything

Yeah I believe you just click "release" because it's the only option that makes sense. Can anyone confirm?