Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe you should take it easy in HS and beef up those grades to score easy scholarships at state schools.....
Private schools too, speaking as someone who went to college tuition-free.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Money, money, money, money.
pump-brakes.jpg

Print @claduva94's post and put it on your wall. You'll thank him later.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not in school to socialize, I'm there to learn. That's how I look at it; Of course that's not how admission officers look at it.
They want an out going extrovert, who can dance and do calculus in his dreams!

As for burnout, well currently I am pretty burned out lol..
12 hours of school to graduate early from HS, I'd say that's a lot. My day would be like this: Wake up at 6:30, catch the bus at 8, walk at 3:30 to the night school maybe half a mile away, and the get out at 7:15.
That's a 48 hour week for me, and then I'm gone Saturday to do EC for like 5 hours, in total 53 hours spent outside the home.
So I'm prepared, prepared to tackle college head on.

And yes I mean college, medical school would be class of 2023, or 2024.

BTW It's not all classes, using CLEP exams you can test out of many of the general education requirements.

Anyways, I thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience. I will keep that in mind. :)
If you burn out before college, you're not going to graduate. If you can't get your bachelor's degree, you can't go to med school. Period. All of us have been thru college. Some of us have been out of college for half a year or more at this point. You DON'T want to rush thru college without growing up. That's the point of college - to grow up, discover your passions, become a better leader and a better person. Medical schools will NOT admit anyone who they believe to be immature or burnt out. Also, money is a piss poor reason not to have the full college experience. You can always take out loans, for both college and med school, to fund your education and period of growth.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So much touchy feely stuff. Point of college is to get an education and network. If you're the kind that likes to socialize, then go for that. Excurrics and community involvement are good as well.

Money is not a piss poor reason to push for a 3 year degree. Some people don't have the luxury of making things 4 years if they can do it in 3. It honestly depends on the person. That one year of loans is substantial after repayment. Interest is a biyatch.

So much touchy feely stuff. Point of college is to get an education and network. If you're the kind that likes to socialize, then go for that. Excurrics and community involvement are good as well.

Money is not a piss poor reason to push for a 3 year degree. Some people don't have the luxury of making things 4 years if they can do it in 3. It honestly depends on the person. That one year of loans is substantial after repayment. Interest is a biyatch.
I simply offered my advice because I hate seeing people burn out. For proactive people or rockstars/superstars in general, then yeah, getting out of college early is a viable option. I was not one of those people, and neither were most of my friends. It was very difficult at my school to get out in 3 years unless you did an easier major.

Reactions: 1 users
I simply offered my advice because I hate seeing people burn out. For proactive people or rockstars/superstars in general, then yeah, getting out of college early is a viable option. I was not one of those people, and neither were most of my friends. It was very difficult at my school to get out in 3 years unless you did an easier major.

Most private schools don't give you credit for lots of AP classes, instead letting you just take upper levels and more electives.

If you take summer classes and 5 classes instead of 4 during the school year, it's tough but doable and possible to have a social life during the school year and also work or do extra curriculars during the summers. I've taken 5 classes a couple of times and I just had to be really on top of my work or it would bite me in the ass.

Most private schools don't give you credit for lots of AP classes, instead letting you just take upper levels and more electives.

If you take summer classes and 5 classes instead of 4 during the school year, it's tough but doable and possible to have a social life during the school year and also work or do extra curriculars during the summers. I've taken 5 classes a couple of times and I just had to be really on top of my work or it would bite me in the ass.
My school allowed you to use AP credits toward your graduation total (120 is required). For the college of arts and sciences (mine), only a max of 15 AP credits could be used. For business school and school of engineering, there was no cap. One of my friends (BME) came in with 33 AP credits. Too bad BME at my school requires 100ish credits by itself, and he still had to take distribution requirements.

Most people at my school do take 5 classes per semester since most classes are 3 or 4 credits. However, not everyone was good at time management. I've seen friends who took 16-20 credits in one semester, with EC's and other commitments, who subsequently crashed and burned (GPA tanked or they did a crappy job with their EC responsibilities).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Boom, taxes done, fafsa submitted!

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah yeah word. I wanted to give the most basic and easily attainable result, though.
It can be very easy to get a scholarship from private schools. The trick is to do some research. A school is more likely to give you a generous scholarship if you have killer grades and SAT/ACT scores AND if the school is trying to improve their reputation (and rankings), and happens to offer the same resources that a more prestigious school would offer. Those schools are trying to grab the students who would have gone to a school with a somewhat more renowned name by offering those students money. All you have to do is figure out which schools are borderline "elite", and research how many of their students receive merit-based scholarships, which most schools transparently mention in their financial aid section of their websites.

Another thing to consider is that some med schools don't accept AP credits as a substitute for a pre-req. Maybe @Ace Khalifa could attest? It's not all med schools and if you take other upper level science courses you could fill those pre-reqs. However, it's just another thing to consider that you may limit some of your options if you don't do it right. Also, speaking as someone who went to a university that the typical term was 5-7 classes and also had required summer terms, it is difficult to be in school straight and that was just 1.5 years for me. I can't imagine doing it 3 years with taking that kind of course load and still have enough time for EC and social life. Oh right....med school :p
There are schools where more advanced classes can't sub prereqs???? That's ******ed. Why make someone take intro bio if they can handle the harder stuff? Something about admissions needs to desperately be reformed..

There are schools where more advanced classes can't sub prereqs???? That's ******ed. Why make someone take intro bio if they can handle the harder stuff? Something about admissions needs to desperately be reformed..
No, I think he's saying that AP courses by themselves do not sub for pre-reqs without taking more advanced courses in that specific subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
It can be very easy to get a scholarship from private schools. The trick is to do some research. A school is more likely to give you a generous scholarship if you have killer grades and SAT/ACT scores AND if the school is trying to improve their reputation (and rankings), and happens to offer the same resources that a more prestigious school would offer. Those schools are trying to grab the students who would have gone to a school with a somewhat more renowned name by offering those students money. All you have to do is figure out which schools are borderline "elite", and research how many of their students receive merit-based scholarships, which most schools transparently mention in their financial aid section of their websites.
This is the nice thing about the top 10 (or, more generally, the top med schools). If you're special enough (in any metric), the numbers can be somewhat dismissed. For the mid-top, it's a number-whoring contest (i.e. if you have top numbers, you're mostly golden).

This is the nice thing about the top 10 (or, more generally, the top med schools). If you're special enough (in any metric), the numbers can be somewhat dismissed. For the mid-top, it's a number-whoring contest (i.e. if you have top numbers, you're mostly golden).
I was referring to undergrad colleges (hence my referral to SAT/ACT scores).

But with medical schools, I've found that even for mid-top schools, high stats alone don't mean anything, since a lot of applicants have high GPA's and >35 MCAT scores, so even with those, one usually still needs solid EC's. Ultimately, in my personal experience, I find that statistically one is generally more likely to receive attention from schools whose average accepted stats are the same as yours rather than the schools whose average accepted stats are higher or lower than yours.

I agree. Some people pull it off and good for them! However, it's definitely not for everyone. And I believe that in most cases, it's better to wait a little longer in order to be more certain about your career choice.

Boom, taxes done, fafsa submitted!

Jelly jelly. Still waiting on one measly W-2. :mad:

But what a weight off your shoulders! And now for yet another waiting step in the process...

Passed my background check! #NotACriminal

Reactions: 7 users
Jelly jelly. Still waiting on one measly W-2. :mad:

But what a weight off your shoulders! And now for yet another waiting step in the process...

Waiting on my PARENTS' taxes. There is no end in sight.

It's snowing here in Michigan ...

I hate this place.......................... :ninja:

My dad does my taxes. Just got W2 and he's filing them for me. I think I should get a reasonable return this year. I'll either use it to attend a few late interviews and/or put it into a travel fund.

#NoShame

75 degrees where I'm at right now, not sure what snow is!:laugh:

Being in sunny south florida was certainly nice, but seeing snow everywhere when I got home to Boston was really nice.

I saw people walking around in down jackets when I was in miami. I did a double take. It was hilarious.

Just cause I know several of us are waiting on them, it appears that Einstein just mailed out acceptance letters.

I'm watching masterchef instead of the Super Bowl

Reactions: 5 users
I wanna cry ..............

Stupid ass Darrell Bevell...

WHY WOULD YOU NOT FEED MARSHAWN LYNCH!?!?!?

So much angst....

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Reactions: 1 users