Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anything French is bottom of the barrel

Keep digging your hole man.

What are you...an italian brand fanboy?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah ... I think I might cry myself to sleep ...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The look on Richard Sherman's face was totally worth it.

Woo, taxes filed. Thanks dad!

Looks like I'll get enough play money to make this summer trip thing actually happen!

Its gotta suck to be Russel Wilson right about now. I could have sworn they had it in the hole...that was an amazing catch by Kearse though.

I think the look on Brady's face when that incomplete looking pass turned into a game changing pass was hilarious. It was also awesome to see him react well to the pressure and go through the hole to pass instead of staying back.

I'm happy that NE won, but honestly I think Seattle was playing better. Their defense was almost impenetrable and they had great coverage and they actually upped their offense game for their mid game while forcing Brady to try to gain inches instead of yardage in his passes. Seattle was buying time and setting up for the 3rd and 4th down on that last play. Honestly wasn't a bad call to run that play on their part since they'd have gone for beastmode on the 3rd and 4th down to gain that last yard and they'd have run out the clock. Sometimes sheet happens.

It was definitely a good game to watch though. That last interception was amazing and looked like it came out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Just cause I know several of us are waiting on them, it appears that Einstein just mailed out acceptance letters.

I'm still fairly confident they would send emails.

I probably still have at least another month. I wish schools were faster about this stuff once they got going. Then again, I interviewed less than 2 weeks ago so can't really complain.

I think the look on Brady's face when that incomplete looking pass turned into a game changing pass was hilarious. It was also awesome to see him react well to the pressure and go through the hole to pass instead of staying back.

I'm happy that NE won, but honestly I think Seattle was playing better. Their defense was almost impenetrable and they had great coverage and they actually upped their offense game for their mid game while forcing Brady to try to gain inches instead of yardage in his passes. Seattle was buying time and setting up for the 3rd and 4th down on that last play. Honestly wasn't a bad call to run that play on their part since they'd have gone for beastmode on the 3rd and 4th down to gain that last yard and they'd have run out the clock. Sometimes sheet happens.

It was definitely a good game to watch though. That last interception was amazing and looked like it came out of nowhere.

Yeah, but they were half a yard away on 2nd down, with timeouts remaining...

Regardless, the juggling catch that got them that close was pretty entertaining haha

Yeah, but they were half a yard away on 2nd down, with timeouts remaining...

Regardless, the juggling catch that got them that close was pretty entertaining haha

Yeah, the interception at the end was pretty much as much a 'woah' play as that one.

Brady's reaction to that juggle was beautiful.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/1/7961431/jermaine-kearse-catch-seahawks-super-bowl-omg

z3MN5HP.0.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Its gotta suck to be Russel Wilson right about now. I could have sworn they had it in the hole...that was an amazing catch by Kearse though.

He had a hole. The play was there. Butler made amazing read and Wilson's throw wasn't perfect enough. He led Lockette on a little too much and Butler just made an amazing jump on the slant. The chances of an INT on a quick slant are as much as that of a fumble on an dive but whatever... Sigh ........... I would've still ran it first but I've come to terms with it.

Anyways ......................... can UW accept me this week so I can be happy about something?

Reactions: 2 users
Found out last week I got into my number one choice! Now, to cancel my last interview. This doesn't feel real!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted! Officially joining the class of 2019. :)

Not my first choice but at this point I don't care, I'm so relieved that be in at all!

Reactions: 16 users
Reactions: 3 users
Vacation over and back at work ... lame ...........

And it such a nice warm 50+ degrees here in Seattle. I love it! Stupid cold ass Michigan.......................... :ninja:

Yay finaid vent time/questions!

1. So I just wanted to throw this out there but I have a fiery, burning dislike for NeedAccess. This application just needs to go away... I had no idea half of it would require estimations for the coming months. (Do schools even put any weight by this info?). I submitted the FAFSA in under 20 min, but I've been sitting on this beast for the past few weeks.

For the income estimation sections, how rigorous are you guys being with your entries? Like for parental undergrad contributions, my parents technically "covered" food/housing because I lived at home, but I also was required to pick up some of their expenses... so a good chunk of my income has gone to paying my parents' mortgage, grocery bills, utilities, healthcare, auto loans, etc. :shrug: I don't have the documentation or time to find even a fraction of this info. And things like relocation costs could range anywhere from 2k to $50 depending on the school I end up at.

2. So I submitted my FAFSA. Do you guys know if the EFC included in the confirmation email is based off of the parental income or solely off student income (since we are technically considered independent in FAFSA's eyes)? The number I got was rather low, which makes me think they based it solely off of my paltry 2014 income.

Is this needaccess form school specific or is it a federal form like FAFSA? I haven't read in my school's faid site that we need to do this :oops:

NeedAccess is only for specific schools. IIRC, you're headed to UVA which (blessedly) does not require this cursed application. ;)

1. So I just wanted to throw this out there but I have a fiery, burning dislike for NeedAccess. This application just needs to go away... I had no idea half of it would require estimations for the coming months. (Do schools even put any weight by this info?). I submitted the FAFSA in under 20 min, but I've been sitting on this beast for the past few weeks.

For the income estimation sections, how rigorous are you guys being with your entries? Like for parental undergrad contributions, my parents technically "covered" food/housing because I lived at home, but I also was required to pick up some of their expenses... so a good chunk of my income has gone to paying my parents' mortgage, grocery bills, utilities, healthcare, auto loans, etc. :shrug: I don't have the documentation or time to find even a fraction of this info. And things like relocation costs could range anywhere from 2k to $50 depending on the school I end up at.

2. So I submitted my FAFSA. Do you guys know if the EFC included in the confirmation email is based off of the parental income or solely off student income (since we are technically considered independent in FAFSA's eyes)? The number I got was rather low, which makes me think they based it solely off of my paltry 2014 income.
Wowwww I have no idea I haven't even submitted fafsa yet :( my goal was to have fafsa done by the 14th and needs access done by the 21... I hope that's allowable.

Wowwww I have no idea I haven't even submitted fafsa yet :( my goal was to have fafsa done by the 14th and needs access done by the 21... I hope that's allowable.

It ought to be! I'm probably over-thinking a lot of things. NeedAccess is just going to require me to schedule some time to sit down with my parents and get them to cough up some information. (It asks things like how much money your parents have been giving to other siblings, how much their assets are worth, how much is in retirement, etc.). It's a headache, but totally doable.

My heart goes out to those with strained relationships with their parents. :( For all intents and purposes, my parents are decent people and I have a pretty great relationship with them, but any talk of finances makes things go downhill. :laugh: I can't imagine the crap some of y'all have to go through in order to get parental tax info.

It ought to be! I'm probably over-thinking a lot of things. NeedAccess is just going to require me to schedule some time to sit down with my parents and get them to cough up some information. (It asks things like how much money your parents have been giving to other siblings, how much their assets are worth, how much is in retirement, etc.). It's a headache, but totally doable.

My heart goes out to those with strained relationships with their parents. :( For all intents and purposes, my parents are decent people and I have a pretty great relationship with them, but any talk of finances makes things go downhill. :laugh: I can't imagine the crap some of y'all have to go through in order to get parental tax info.
Good luck hella and everyone else who has to go through a lot of trouble getting those information.

Since I'm only going to be working till June or July for 2015, I just multiplied my monthly income by that number and assumed that'd be my income for the whole year. DId the same thing for estimated tax to be paid - I looked at the chart in the 1040EZ instruction that shows you how much tax you are supposed to pay for a specific income range.

I also had to cover mortgage, insurance premiums...etc for my parents, but I lived away from home, so I just roughly estimated that amount per month and deducted that from how much they were helping me with tuition not covered by financial aid. But since my dad's been MIA for a while though my parents aren't technically divorced, I just skipped entering his part on the form

BengaliBrat had a series of negative experiences connected with her interview with WUSM. . .bad weather (going and coming) with flight cancellations and way-too-predawn travel, very chilling drafts in an otherwise great room in Olin, no pizza party because of the Super Bowl, and, worst of all, the worst-yet interview. Sometimes the chemistry just works from the outset. Sometimes just the opposite. I made the terrible error of mentioning a forbidden word as I described my overseas clinic experience. The word? "Homeopathy." As I wrote to one of my mentors, I think I would have fared better with my interviewer had I suggested that the healthiest diet would include quantities of human flesh. Oh, dear. How did that sensible-shoe-wearing foot cram itself so irretrievably in that orthodontist's dream mouth? Great campus, really nice students, wonderful opportunities--all vanished once the no-no was uttered. Sigh. And other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play? Sigh again.

But trying to be philosophical. Perhaps I'm sposta enroll somewhere else? (As in, somewhere where I'm accepted?) Also, Duke finally broke the news that I will never be a Duchess. Alas.
+pity+

I think you could have recovered from that. Did they ask any follow up questions on that?

I think things like homeopathy/alternative medicine can be great as complimentary alternative medicines. There are some things culture/heritage can't replace.

Atleast the interviewer didn't tell you that you lied on application like mine did at Miami!

Chin up! You have good options and at worst, you're allowed one bad day!

BengaliBrat had a series of negative experiences connected with her interview with WUSM. . .bad weather (going and coming) with flight cancellations and way-too-predawn travel, very chilling drafts in an otherwise great room in Olin, no pizza party because of the Super Bowl, and, worst of all, the worst-yet interview. Sometimes the chemistry just works from the outset. Sometimes just the opposite. I made the terrible error of mentioning a forbidden word as I described my overseas clinic experience. The word? "Homeopathy." As I wrote to one of my mentors, I think I would have fared better with my interviewer had I suggested that the healthiest diet would include quantities of human flesh. Oh, dear. How did that sensible-shoe-wearing foot cram itself so irretrievably in that orthodontist's dream mouth? Great campus, really nice students, wonderful opportunities--all vanished once the no-no was uttered. Sigh. And other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play? Sigh again.

But trying to be philosophical. Perhaps I'm sposta enroll somewhere else? (As in, somewhere where I'm accepted?) Also, Duke finally broke the news that I will never be a Duchess. Alas.
+pity+
Sorry to hear that...........but why would you ever mention alternative medicine at one of the best medical schools in the country?

+pity+
@gyngyn: "It is impossible to guess the outcome based on how you feel about the interview."
So don't stress.
Since WashU is receptive to updates and LOI. I'd suggest to include a brief explanation to restate things correctly in your thank you letter and write it ASAP.

Sorry to hear about your bad interview experience @BengaliBrat :( But definitely don't count yourself out!!! I thought for sure my app was headed for the trash at both Case and CCLCM based on some comments made by my interviewers, but the process is more holistic than that :)

On an unrelated note (really sorry to do this on the post addressing your woes, but it's time sensitive!) -- I have the same number of likes as posts!!!! I've been waiting for them to sync up for so long hahahahaha I'm unreasonably excited about this coincidence!!!!

Sorry to hear that...........but why would you ever mention alternative medicine at one of the best medical schools in the country?

Because even one of the best medical schools in the country is doing a disservice to its patients if it isn't teaching students to give culturally sensitive care.

Would you rather patients tell you what else they're doing or refuse because you put them down for believing in alternatives? Some of those alternatives can have catastrophic interactions with some medications. It's best to earn the trust of patients by being respectful to practices that won't hurt them (but aren't snake oil) so that they don't keep important information from you.

Reactions: 6 users
It can naturally come up in conversation from time to time, and it isn't an uncommon subject that's used to gauge one's cultural competence. I've had MMI scenarios which specifically deal with alternative medicine . It's certainly not anywhere as harmful as demonstrating anti-vaccination views. I find the general safest view towards alternative medicine is to be fine with it as long as one is convinced that the medicine itself is harmless (i.e. acupuncture done with sterile needles, nothing that contains significant amounts of mercury etc.), and that the patient is able and willing to pay the costs. The way I see it, it could also serve as a potentially positive placebo.

Reactions: 6 users
Because even one of the best medical schools in the country is doing a disservice to its patients if it isn't teaching students to give culturally sensitive care.

Would you rather patients tell you what else they're doing or refuse because you put them down for believing in alternatives? Some of those alternatives can have catastrophic interactions with some medications. It's best to earn the trust of patients by being respectful to practices that won't hurt them (but aren't snake oil) so that they don't keep important information from you.
Yeah I agree with you. I just would never bring it up in an interview because it's too risky (and as bengali told us...her result wasn't good).

It can naturally come up in conversation from time to time, and it isn't an uncommon subject that's used to gauge one's cultural competence. I've had MMI scenarios which specifically deal with alternative medicine . It's certainly not anywhere as harmful as demonstrating anti-vaccination views. I find the general safest view towards alternative medicine is to be fine with it as long as one is convinced that the medicine itself is harmless (i.e. acupuncture done with sterile needles, nothing that contains significant amounts of mercury etc.), and that the patient is able and willing to pay the costs. The way I see it, it could also serve as a potentially positive placebo.
Ah I see.

+pity+
I don't think interviewers keep a list of buzzwords that automatically doom a candidate if uttered during an interview (outside of blatant racism, sexism, etc). Medicine is an imprecise science and it would be ridiculous for the school to take such a dogmatic stance, especially since they're interviewing a prospective student. It'd be different if you were at a residency interview and proclaimed that your medical education was just plain nonsense.

It really saddens me to see you upset. You often make me laugh and smile with your poetic posts. I realize that this is immensely frustrating, but keep in mind that the school you enroll at will be very fortunate to have you as a student!!

Reactions: 5 users

+pity+
As someone whose foot spends so much in his mouth that I should probably charge it rent, I've gotta say don't judge yourself too harshly. Unless you say something really heinous, and it doesn't sound like you did, it's usually the case that you upset yourself much more than you upset everyone else in these situations. I'm sure you did well.

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry to hear about your bad interview experience @BengaliBrat
On an unrelated note (really sorry to do this on the post addressing your woes, but it's time sensitive!) -- I have the same number of likes as posts!!!! I've been waiting for them to sync up for so long hahahahaha I'm unreasonably excited about this coincidence!!!!
Now you have more likes than posts ;)

@BengaliBrat sorry to hear about the travel hiccups! Again, as stated by our brilliant colleagues, do not write yourself off. I had two interviews this season that I wrote off as utter trainwrecks... one of which was at one of my dream schools. The weeks following I moped over the things I said/shouldn't have said, but when all was said and done I received outright acceptances to both schools. This is not to say that a shaky interview = acceptance, but that we have no reliable means of correlating post-interview impressions with ultimate outcome. Just rest your pretty head (which is easier said than done) and spend the post-interview waiting time doing things to keep your mind off the process. We have our utmost faith in you!

@ridethecliche excellent point. I agree wholeheartedly. I've worked with a lot of people who were heavily invested in alt. med and have a lot of mixed feelings on the subject. I personally do not believe CAM has any scientific merit but, assuming the alternative therapy has no adverse effects related to the patient's condition or concurrent treatments, I would never deny them that outlet.... But I can understand your interviewer's knee-jerk reflex, though I feel like he ought to have heard you out. I've seen people refuse to treat their either themselves or family members with traditional medicine and spend heaps of money on reiki/chelation/colonics instead to some very sad outcomes. :( [Oh and I absolutely LOVED writing VCU's alt. med prompt... before they changed it hahaha].

But just for kicks and giggles I'll repost my favourite homeopathy video of all time:

Just don't let me get started about anti-vax folks, though. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
While I'm all for biomedicine, I do urge caution when immediately dismissing alternative medicine. I find that for the most part, the pseudo-scientific elements in alternative medicine often arise when practitioners of certain treatments exaggerate the range of conditions that they can treat. For example, acupuncture is one form of treatment that I actually think does have merit for certain conditions. I've known plenty of runners who seek acupuncture treatments to treat muscle soreness and stiffness, and they seem to like the results. I've also personally been on the receiving end of acupuncture treatments to supposedly cure my seasonal allergies. Guess how well they worked? Hint: I still take zyrtec.

I also have some issues with people assuming that American biomedicine is always scientifically-based and sound, because it's not. It's also heavily influenced by politics, money, and our own cultural biases. Until the last 15 years, physicians were misdiagnosing women left and right when they suffered heart attacks because our research into heart attacks focused exclusively on men. Our techniques for interpreting angiograms are still borderline pseudo-science. Clinical studies are essentially profit-driven bastardized attempts at science where we black box the human body. There's a lot that is screwed up even with the way that we currently practice medicine.

I'm not saying that as a future physician, I will encourage alternative medicine. I'm simply saying that before one bashes the pseudo-scientific elements in other medical systems, one needs to take a step back and examine ours with that same mindset and scrutiny.

Last edited:
While I'm all for biomedicine, I do urge caution when immediately dismissing alternative medicine. I find that for the most part, the pseudo-scientific elements in alternative medicine often arise when practitioners of certain treatments exaggerate the range of conditions that it can treat. For example, acupuncture is one form of treatment that I actually think does have merit for certain conditions. I've known plenty of runners who seek acupuncture treatments to treat certain muscle soreness and stiffness, and they seem to like the results. I've also personally been on the receiving end of acupuncture treatments to supposedly cure my seasonal allergies. Guess how well they worked? Hint: I still take zyrtec.

I also have some issues with people assuming that American biomedicine is always scientifically-based and sound, because it's not. It's also heavily influenced by politics, money, and our own cultural biases. Until the last 15 years, physicians were misdiagnosing women left and right when they suffered heart attacks because our research into heart attacks focused exclusively on men. Our techniques for interpreting angiograms are still borderline pseudo-science. Clinical studies are essentially profit-driven bastardized attempts at science where we black box the human body. There's a lot that is screwed up even with the way that we currently practice medicine.

I'm not saying that as a future physician, I will encourage alternative medicine. I'm simply saying that before one bashes the pseudo-scientific elements in other medical systems, one needs to take a step back and examine ours with that same mindset and scrutiny.
My physiatrist does acupuncture. And she's a professor at one of the major academic centers here in NYC.

And I agree that there's much that we need to improve. Another example is the overprescribing of psychiatric drugs. (Obviously, I don't subscribe to the Tom Cruise doctrine of treating mental illness). Psychiatric drugs have definitely improved the lives of countless people. However, we often ignore other factors that contribute to (and exacerbate) mental illness.

My physiatrist does acupuncture. And she's a professor at one of the major academic centers here in NYC.

And I agree that there's much that we need to improve. Another example is the overprescribing of psychiatric drugs. (Obviously, I don't subscribe to the "Tom Cruise" doctrine of treating mental illness). Psychiatric drugs have definitely improved the lives of countless people. However, we often ignore other factors that contribute to (and exacerbate) mental illness.
I thought about bringing up psychiatry as well, but I decided that I didn't want to open up that can of worms.

I thought about bringing up psychiatry as well, but I decided that I didn't want to open up that can of worms.
It is a can of worms, but it must be addressed. The treatment of mental illness in this country is a disaster. It's possible that there are more mentally ill people in prisons than in hospitals (I'm pretty sure I read that in a recent study-- I'll look for it later).

On SDN, we are often reminded about the stigmas attached to mental illness, even in the medical field. It's horrible.

I've suffered from chronic muscular pain for years (which was caused by imbalances and overuse) and several doctors assumed it was "in my head" the moment I told them I had anxiety issues. At this rate, we might as well say that depression causes tumor metastasis :rolleyes:

It is a can of worms, but it must be addressed. The treatment of mental illness in this country is a disaster. It's possible that there are more mentally ill people in prisons than in hospitals (I'm pretty sure I read that in a recent study-- I'll look for it later).

On SDN, we are often reminded about the stigmas attached to mental illness, even in the medical field. It's horrible.

I've suffered from chronic muscular pain for years (which was caused by imbalances and overuse) and several doctors assumed it was "in my head" the moment I told them I had anxiety issues. At this rate, we might as well say that depression causes tumor metastasis :rolleyes:

You do know that pre-operative depression and/or anxiety is a good predictor for post operative back pain right?

There is a pretty large body of research showing that depression causes physical as well as mental symptoms, muscle/body pain being one of them.

If you have abdominal pain and rebound pain, the differential usually tries to rule out appendicitis before jumping the gun to cancer. Medicine is often algorithm based and that's a logical starting point for some of this. If the physicians were dismissive, then that's a totally different issue!