Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone. Does anyone know what the consensus is on sending multiple letters of interest/updates if you're on a waitlist? I've been waitlisted (top 1/3) at a school I'd really like to attend since December. I sent a letter of interest back in December but haven't heard anything from them since. I don't know if there has been any waitlist movement since then - according to SDN, there hasn't, but who knows how reliable that is.

If it's ok to send a second LOI, when should I do it? I do have an update to my activities that I could include.

I'm waiting to send in my updates until April-ish, since I figure that, with the drop deadline at the end of the month, they're more likely to have oomph then since that's when seats will actually open. But that's just me!

Does the school you're waiting on have a history of accepting students off the WL prior to the drop day? That would make a difference on when to send an update, imo.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm waiting to send in my updates until April-ish, since I figure that, with the drop deadline at the end of the month, they're more likely to have oomph then since that's when seats will actually open. But that's just me!

Does the school you're waiting on have a history of accepting students off the WL prior to the drop day? That would make a difference on when to send an update, imo.
According to last year's thread, they started accepting people from the waitlist in April. But this year, there was already some waitlist movement in late October (before I even interviewed) but none since then. Maybe I should send one in March?

According to last year's thread, they started accepting people from the waitlist in April. But this year, there was already some waitlist movement in late October (before I even interviewed) but none since then. Maybe I should send one in March?

That might not be a bad idea! On another note, late October waitlist movement sounds pretty crazy...

Members don't see this ad :)
don't look at me like I'm crazy but is anyone doing any sort of light touching of anatomy pre-august?

a close family friend who is a surgeon and on an adcom at a school told me she very much so highly recommends taking an anatomy course. I'm having trouble finding an actual course that isn't like $1500 or more but wondering if anyone else is looking at doing one.

Reactions: 1 user
don't look at me like I'm crazy but is anyone doing any sort of light touching of anatomy pre-august?

a close family friend who is a surgeon and on an adcom at a school told me she very much so highly recommends taking an anatomy course. I'm having trouble finding an actual course that isn't like $1500 or more but wondering if anyone else is looking at doing one.

i'm thinking of doing this too, at least reading some stuff over since I've never taken anything remotely close to anatomy..

I've had anatomy and physiology before, but I probably don't remember enough for it to be useful at this point. Honestly, I'm not doing any pre-studying because it's my last truly free summer and I plan to enjoy every second of it. However, if you're set on doing some review, just look up some good anatomy websites, youtube videos, and check out those free online courses that you can do at your own pace (MIT opencourseware, coursera, Harvard and carnegie mellon have them, etc.) That way you're not committed to anything and it's free.

Reactions: 1 users
That might not be a bad idea! On another note, late October waitlist movement sounds pretty crazy...

Yeah it was weird, apparently some people who were waitlisted on October 15th got pulled off of it just a couple of weeks later. Maybe they underaccepted or something?

I've had anatomy and physiology before, but I probably don't remember enough for it to be useful at this point. Honestly, I'm not doing any pre-studying because it's my last truly free summer and I plan to enjoy every second of it. However, if you're set on doing some review, just look up some good anatomy websites, youtube videos, and check out those free online courses that you can do at your own pace (MIT opencourseware, coursera, Harvard and carnegie mellon have them, etc.) That way you're not committed to anything and it's free.

I actually just signed up for the Carnegie one.

my job has BOUNTIFUL free time (double-edged sword) so i'll have plenty to do. might be able to run through a couple of the courses lol.

my interest in lifting should help quite a bit with the muscles... not so much the insertions but the physiology of them and names more than likely.

Jeez louise, you guys make me look lazy! My lab has been on a quiz-challenge spree, so thus far I've worked very hard on memorizing a bunch of non-medical info (I've successfully memorized all Gen 1 Pokemon!!). :laugh: I think I've pushed all the residual knowledge from my 4+ year old anatomy class well out of my mind by now.

I'm pretty sure med school will be a major adjustment, anatomy headstart or not. It's probably going to be a matter of whether you'd prefer a peaceful summer or the peace of mind from taking another class. :shrug:

As is I'm probably going to be working right down to the wire... :( so much for having a summer holiday. C'est la vie.

Reactions: 3 users
I actually just signed up for the Carnegie one.

my job has BOUNTIFUL free time (double-edged sword) so i'll have plenty to do. might be able to run through a couple of the courses lol.

my interest in lifting should help quite a bit with the muscles... not so much the insertions but the physiology of them and names more than likely.

I would try seeing if you can find something free through coursera or harvard/MIT/etc open courseware.

Side note. I think I'm going to leave my job in june.

Goal is to be able to Front squat 225 and hex dead 315 for 5 reps. Unsure about bench since I don't really care about it that much (don't feel it much in pecs), but I'd like to hit atleast 250x5. Bigger goal is to be able to bench 100lb dbs x10. I think I'll get there pretty soon. I can do 90's for 8. I've had to take 2-3 weeks off pushing because of my elbow issues, but should be able to get back into it next week I hope!

I would try seeing if you can find something free through coursera or harvard/MIT/etc open courseware.

Side note. I think I'm going to leave my job in june.

Goal is to be able to Front squat 225 and hex dead 315 for 5 reps. Unsure about bench since I don't really care about it that much (don't feel it much in pecs), but I'd like to hit atleast 250x5. Bigger goal is to be able to bench 100lb dbs x10. I think I'll get there pretty soon. I can do 90's for 8. I've had to take 2-3 weeks off pushing because of my elbow issues, but should be able to get back into it next week I hope!

I found at coursera:
*Introductory Human Physiology - Duke

Harvard:
*nada

MIT:
*nada

Oeconsortium:
*Human Anatomy w/ lab - The Saylor Foundation

what do you think you would recommend between the Carnegie, courseara, and OE consortium courses?

I would sign up for all of them, look at the materials and go with whichever suits your style best. If they're all free, you lose nothing.

I will say that I like coursera a lot.

Physio and anatomy aren't the same thing though so maybe sign up for both if you're just interested in listening and watching for an hour or so a day.

Honestly, I'd just listen to the lectures to familiarize yourself with the concepts if anything. I still think there are better things to do to occupy your time.

I would sign up for all of them, look at the materials and go with whichever suits your style best. If they're all free, you lose nothing.

I will say that I like coursera a lot.

Physio and anatomy aren't the same thing though so maybe sign up for both if you're just interested in listening and watching for an hour or so a day.

Honestly, I'd just listen to the lectures to familiarize yourself with the concepts if anything. I still think there are better things to do to occupy your time.

yeah true, I'm in my post-lunch blur right now... probably wouldn't have asked if you suggested anatomy OR physio if I wasn't deathly bored right now lol.

i'll start trying them all out like you said. definitely just getting used to the terminology and what not will help at least in the beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah true, I'm in my post-lunch blur right now... probably wouldn't have asked if you suggested anatomy OR physio if I wasn't deathly bored right now lol.

i'll start trying them all out like you said. definitely just getting used to the terminology and what not will help at least in the beginning.

man, just stare at the mirror every day for an hour. That's the best way to learn anatomy

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Ouch ... There's a fb group and I wasn't invited?

:(

Guys! Everyone is invited! This was not a private announcement -- everybody is welcome! Message me or a current FB member your email address and you will be added!

I'm torn about revealing myself to a big mass of people even though a few people know me.
I'm probably going to start a new account in med school anyway.

We are all about to witness history.

Sometime this evening, SDN will see the creation of its 1,000,000th thread.

B1FRxuv.png

The number above is already out of date as it has taken me a while to figure out how to take and post a screenshot on a Mac.

Reactions: 7 users

B1FRxuv.png

The number above is already out of date as it has taken me a while to figure out how to take and post a screenshot on a Mac.

Switching between OS X and Windows can be so confusing... Most notably the use of control vs. command for opening links in a new tab.

Switching between OS X and Windows can be so confusing... Most notably the use of control vs. command for opening links in a new tab.
SharpKeys. Use it on your PC. It will change your life and allow you to use your thumb to use the shortcuts like you do on a Mac.

B1FRxuv.png

For a full screenshot, you can do command + shift + 3, and for a targeted shot (like snipping tool) you can do command + shift + 4!

After many, many long months of waiting, stressing and agonizing, I just got accepted to my top choice med school and alma mater, USC! Thank you all for your support, and if anybody else is planning on attending please send me a shoutout! :):)

Last edited:
Reactions: 20 users
After many, many long months of waiting, stressing and agonizing over my bad luck, I just got accepted to my top choice med school and alma mater, USC! Thank you all for your support, and if anybody else is planning on attending please send me a shoutout! :):)

Congratulations @DirkN !! :highfive:

Last edited:
Just got rejected from UVA.

Also, moop found me of FB, commented 'damn yo old', and then didn't friend me. Hahahha.

Reactions: 5 users
So he just wanted to know who I was. Jeezum. I couldn't join the group because it was closed, so I guess someone has to friend me and invite me, no?

Side note: Do you guys know if there's a place here to put up job postings? I'm leaving my position in the summer and think it'd be cool to see someone come here if they're planning on taking a 2 year gap.

So he just wanted to know who I was. Jeezum. I couldn't join the group because it was closed, so I guess someone has to friend me and invite me, no?

Side note: Do you guys know if there's a place here to put up job postings? I'm leaving my position in the summer and think it'd be cool to see someone come here if they're planning on taking a 2 year gap.

I think it's only friends of current members that can be invited? I dunno how FB groups operate. PM sunflower your info and I'm sure she'll plug you into the loop.

Never have used this forum before, but there's an entire section on this thread for jobs. Not sure how active it is. Thanks for thinking of all the 'littluns! :) I would have tossed my position out to SDN, but the number of unemployed biotech people in my city is insane and I've been swamped with resumes. My boss is also looking for someone out there with a little more "staying power" than someone applying for med school... I think I racked up too many interview absences. :(

@ridethecliche Since you're in Boston, do you know which hospitals are shadowing-friendly? Shadowing and the MCAT are the last two things I need to address for my application so I'm trying to knock those out.

P.S. My school is talking about having Saturday classes. I just want all the snow to go away :(

I've never shadowed outside of work so I have no idea. I've worked in clinics for 4 years. I had more than enough shadowing at work lol.

Thank you so much everyone! I hope you'll still talk to me when I'm the crosstown rival of our leader and friend @sunflower18 :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users