Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has a definitive release date for the 12 inch Air with Retina been announced yet?
Rumors saying this month, however I'd give it till the summer. Better wait it out then purchase a comp now and have it release before med school. Apparently Apply has this big event next week or something where they'll announce ish. (Source: Just Google'd it)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello~ Hopefully everyone is alive and well! :D

Reactions: 1 users
That's literally exactly what I did! The guy said that for my uses, the MBA and MBP would be the same speed and the Air is both cheaper and lighter. He said that MBPs are really for people doing graphic design or heavy duty multimedia work. His example was that I could use 3D anatomy apps on the MBA no problem, but I should get the MBP if I was the one making those apps.

@Sandmeezy, how is the processing power tangibly experienced to an owner only using the computer for word processing, Internet browsing, and Netflix?

If that's truly all you'll do, you won't notice a substantial difference from the processing power. Also, the air is cheaper, but honestly, not noticeably lighter when carried in a backpack.

I still can't recommend the air over the MBP, though. I do a lot of photoshop work, so I probably have a hint of the designer bias, but the IPS/color-accurate display on the pro is so much better than the TN screen on the air. I can't even enjoy 1080p screens anymore, and the air's 1440*900 resolution is just archaic by comparison. (Though, to it's favor, it actually gives more screen space to play with than the standard scaling on the 13in MBP.)

Just get the pro. Thank me later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Breaking News: We have a new school wearing the yellow jersey!

10. UCLA (NR)
9. Rosalind Franklin (8)
8. Miami (10)
7. MCW (5)
6. USUHS (6)
5. NYMC (7)
4. GW (4)
3. Mayo (3)
2. VCU (1)
1. Drexel (2)
And we're back with the latest irregular update of the Most Talked About School rankings! (They're guaranteed to be almost as useful as US News.)

Schools with the most posts in the school-specific discussions forum (previous rank in parentheses):

1. VCU (2)
2. Drexel (1)
3. Duke (NR)
4. Mayo (3)
5. Miami (8)
6. Rosalind Franklin (9)
7. NYMC (5)
8. UCLA (10)
9. USUHS (6)
10. GW (4)

Duke's been on the move. It seems like they are right where they belong, actually:
PA7aQkd.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
And we're back with the latest irregular update of the Most Talked-About School rankings! (They're guaranteed to be almost as useful as US News.)

Schools with the most posts in the school-specific discussions forum (previous rank in parentheses):

1. VCU (2)
2. Drexel (1)
3. Duke (NR)
4. Mayo (3)
5. Miami (8)
6. Rosalind Franklin (9)
7. NYMC (5)
8. UCLA (10)
9. USUHS (6)
10. GW (4)

Duke's been on the move. It seems like they are right where they belong, actually:
PA7aQkd.png
I heard these ranking are correlated with step scores and match lists, the best ways to decide on your school amirite?! :banana:

Reactions: 5 users
If that's truly all you'll do, you won't notice a substantial difference from the processing power. Also, the air is cheaper, but honestly, not noticeably lighter when carried in a backpack.

I still can't recommend the air over the MBP, though. I do a lot of photoshop work, so I probably have a hint of the designer bias, but the IPS/color-accurate display on the pro is so much better than the TN screen on the air. I can't even enjoy 1080p screens anymore, and the air's 1440*900 resolution is just archaic by comparison. (Though, to it's favor, it actually gives more screen space to play with than the standard scaling on the 13in MBP.)

Just get the pro. Thank me later.
But the pro is sooooo expensive...damnit, I thought the air was clearly the better choice. Now I have to ask my fb peeps which one is better suited for my purposes lololol.

And we're back with the latest irregular update of the Most Talked About School rankings! (They're guaranteed to be almost as useful as US News.)

1. VCU (2)
2. Drexel (1)
3. Duke (NR)
4. Mayo (3)
5. Miami (8)
6. Rosalind Franklin (9)
7. NYMC (5)
8. UCLA (10)
9. USUHS (6)
10. GW (4)

PA7aQkd.png
The Duke thread is out of control.

The Duke thread is out of control.
Yep. The top three schools really stirred the pot.

VCU: Changed their secondary prompt after sending the secondaries out. Plus, the champion of meaningless status updates.
Drexel: Decided that some applicants just wouldn't get their secondaries for a month or more.
Duke: Set their decision notification dial to "maximum stress."

Now that is how you get to the top of the Most Talked About rankings. Let's see more schools match that level of effort!

Reactions: 2 users
How so? (didn't apply, so I haven't looked)
They've been inconsistent with how/when they said they would notify us+people love duke+sdn neuroticism = rampant speculation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on it.

But I'm the ncaa rankings might have as much influence over who has heard back vs who hasn't as all of the speculations on there recently.

I personally accepted my waitlist/rejection after cuse was swept by Duke. They were swept by Pitt and that resulted in a waitlist for me after the first loss. Then a second tier notification after the second. Gotta be statistically significant.

But the pro is sooooo expensive...damnit, I thought the air was clearly the better choice. Now I have to ask my fb peeps which one is better suited for my purposes lololol.

Save $100 with the educational discount on all apple computers, I believe. But, hold off until you know where you're going; some schools require & provide a certain computer.

That duke thread is pretty amazing. It's almost like my miami saga, except I don't give an eff about that school.

Yet, I'm too legit to quit bitching about it. Atleast till I get a decision. They've seriously just given me the run around since I wrote the email complaining and I haven't heard anything from any of the deans there. RIDICULOUS!

Last edited:
Save $100 with the educational discount on all apple computers, I believe. But, hold off until you know where you're going; some schools require & provide a certain computer.
EVMS doesn't provide you with a free computer lol. Pretty sure Miami doesn't either, or the other 3 schools I'm waitlisted at.

Members don't see this ad :)
EVMS doesn't provide you with a free computer lol. Pretty sure Miami doesn't either, or the other 3 schools I'm waitlisted at.

You and I must have very different definitions for 'free'.

You and I must have very different definitions for 'free'.
I consider a "free" computer from med school the same as "free" food from Wash U....gotta love that student activities fee!

Finishing revisions and citations for a manuscript and I'm writing the names in a citation and one of them sounds incredibly familiar. Turns out it's a girl from my school district and we used to work at the same pizza place when I was in 8th/9th grade and she was a graduating senior. Research is in the same niche field.

Small world.

Reactions: 4 users
Finishing revisions and citations for a manuscript and I'm writing the names in a citation and one of them sounds incredibly familiar. Turns out it's a girl from my school district and we used to work at the same pizza place when I was in 8th/9th grade and she was a graduating senior. Research is in the same niche field.

Small world.
You do your citations manually? Dude what year is this, 1999?

You do your citations manually? Dude what year is this, 1999?

Haha there were only 13, now 18 of them. I didn't have my bosses reference database saved so just ended up doing it manually. It's teh suck.

You should have seen how insane it was for my first publication. There were like 50 references and the author did it all by hand. I wanted to kill him.

But I guess he made me third author so...

(I did all the stats for the paper, not just the references).

lolol when i wrote my masters thesis, i did all my 40 or so references by hand and ended up getting rejected 3 times for formatting issues in that section

Yep. The top three schools really stirred the pot.

VCU: Changed their secondary prompt after sending the secondaries out. Plus, the champion of meaningless status updates.
Drexel: Decided that some applicants just wouldn't get their secondaries for a month or more.
Duke: Set their decision notification dial to "maximum stress."

Now that is how you get to the top of the Most Talked About rankings. Let's see more schools match that level of effort!
I saw that on their thread they were debating whether it would be "entitled" for them to feel like Duke should be more straight forward with their decision releasing process.

Are the schools required to be efficient, consistent and transparent in the admission process? No.
Would it be a considerate thing to do? Yes.
Was Duke being considerate to their applicant waiting for decisions? No.
Has it caused a lot of unnecessary stress and anxiety? Yes
Especially after people have written as many as five secondary essays with no upper word limits? Yes
Has it impacted negatively the perception of the students regarding the quality of the administration? Yes.
Would Duke Med care? Probably not.

lolol when i wrote my masters thesis, i did all my 40 or so references by hand and ended up getting rejected 3 times for formatting issues in that section
LaTeX + BibTeX. Learn it once, never look back.

Or even just use Google Scholar and plug it into EndNote??????

LaTeX + BibTeX. Learn it once, never look back.

Or even just use Google Scholar and plug it into EndNote??????

lol yes, i have EndNote now

Last edited:
I usually use refworks as that's what we have available and it's pretty easy to share libraries.

Goin' to Disneyland today, hope I survive the masses. (This is only the 3rd time I've gone in my life... SoCal native fail).

I feel the perks of being a to-be med student are dwarfed by those of almost every other job. Case in point: my friend just got a job with Disney, so they furnished her with this "gold" pass that grants her unlimited visits (without blackout days), 30% all in-park purchases, free parking (this is important), and up to 3 guests per visit.

Like, what I can I offer in comparison?!? Outdated MCAT tips?

Reactions: 13 users
@ridethecliche What do you do your statistical analyses with? Excel, R, ...?

Trying to learn stata, want to learn R. Piddling along using sigmaplot for now. It's decent, but not really great for more involved stuff. My samples are usually small and analysis isn't crazy so it's fine.

I'd recommend R or Stata. Both have great user wikis, but R is free and has great classes on coursera.

Since I'm looking into research during med school, would knowing java and/or python be beneficial? Or am I better off learning R?

Since I'm looking into research during med school, would knowing java and/or python be beneficial? Or am I better off learning R?

I've never seen python or java cited as a statistical package in a manuscript...

Even R isn't all that common in medicine yet since it's more technical. One usually sees STATA, SASS, SPSS, Graphpad, etc.

I've never seen python or java cited as a statistical package in a manuscript...

Even R isn't all that common in medicine yet since it's more technical. One usually sees STATA, SASS, SPSS, Graphpad, etc.
Sorry I should've clarified. I didn't mean specifically for statistics, but moreso bioinformatics, etc. Thanks for the heads up though. (Please don't hate if I am coming off as ignorant, I just seriously don't know and am looking to learn more about the coding aspect of research/pubs).

We learned R in our intro bio lab course (all that knowledge went out the window as soon as the semester was over, though)
I think knowing Python (or MATLAB) would help, if you're a physics/engineering type of guy looking to do simulations (e.g. for fluid flows)

EDIT: No idea about bioinformatics, though.

Sorry I should've clarified. I didn't mean specifically for statistics, but moreso bioinformatics, etc. Thanks for the heads up though. (Please don't hate if I am coming off as ignorant, I just seriously don't know and am looking to learn more about the coding aspect of research/pubs).

I work in clinical research in spine. The guys in the biomechanics lab here do stuff that goes way over my (and the attendings) head as far as the programming aspect is concerned. If you're interested in biotech etc research in med school, then the knowledge base and applications/stats stuff are totally different.

We learned R in our intro bio lab course (all that knowledge went out the window as soon as the semester was over, though)

I think knowing Python (or MATLAB) would help, if you're a physics/engineering type of guy looking to do simulations (e.g. for fluid flows)

EDIT: No idea about bioinformatics, though.

Yeah, I think MATLAB is an engineering staple. The biomechanics lab here uses it for finite element analysis etc.

My mom works in bioinformatics and I think she does a lot of database stuff like SQL. Although I'm not quite sure what she does... :oops:

I work in clinical research in spine. The guys in the biomechanics lab here do stuff that goes way over my (and the attendings) head as far as the programming aspect is concerned. If you're interested in biotech etc research in med school, then the knowledge base and applications/stats stuff are totally different.

Yeah, I think MATLAB is an engineering staple. The biomechanics lab here uses it for finite element analysis etc.
Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks dude.

Goin' to Disneyland today, hope I survive the masses. (This is only the 3rd time I've gone in my life... SoCal native fail).

I feel the perks of being a to-be med student are dwarfed by those of almost every other job. Case in point: my friend just got a job with Disney, so they furnished her with this "gold" pass that grants her unlimited visits (without blackout days), 30% all in-park purchases, free parking (this is important), and up to 3 guests per visit.

No perks now, but you'll have many later. Delayed gratification - it'll take 8-10 years, but eventually you'll be have a much higher salary, the privilege of helping really sick patients, the ability to advocate for whatever health-related cause you're passionate about, and intense personal satisfaction from doing what you love. Besides, doesn't it get boring to go to a theme park all the time?

Free healthcare advices from you in the future for her disney guest passes!

IOUs are totally legit in this case

Reactions: 4 users
Learn whatever you need to when you get a research gig. Trying to MATLAB, Stata, R, SQL on your own is dumb and probably a waste of time

Learn whatever you need to when you get a research gig. Trying to MATLAB, Stata, R, SQL on your own is dumb and probably a waste of time

Although if you want you could always try using some coding language to do Project Euler! I did that with MATLAB to brush up on my skills.

I wasn't going to try to any of those big guy, was just thinking of picking up a coding language for fun anyways over the summer, so I took it a step further to see if it would help with research in any way. Friend of mine hooked me up with a solid set of tutorials for java and python which I'm going to give a stab at when my schedule opens up.

Thank you @FriendlyFH and friends. This is the last place I ever expected to find myself in! It feels very strange.

I'm going to go for a little walk and clear my head.

Reactions: 16 users
He really is breaking the roof with that record

Reactions: 7 users

I'm not sure I agree. Understanding how statistical methods work is really helpful in setting up a project. I'd suggest picking a stats package and learning to do stats via coursera etc. You'll get a basic handle of stuff

Thank you @FriendlyFH and friends. This is the last place I ever expected to find myself in! It feels very strange.

I'm going to go for a little walk and clear my head.

Walk to clear your head? Whatever happened to taking a walk to the nearest bar and pounding a few shots! Congrats! If you end up in Boston, let me know. I can likely get you a research in if you're interested in tissue engineering or ortho.

Also:

@Cyberdyne 101 Thanks, man. You are a big source of support for me and for everyone here and I just want to give you a special shoutout. (Plus you're responsible for probably 50% of the likes I've ever gotten on my posts.)
He really is breaking the roof with that record
You know you're the first one to pun on my username on this site? Here's the source.
Bob Dylan said:
Well, I’m leaving in the morning as soon as the dark clouds lift
Yes, I’m leaving in the morning just as soon as the dark clouds lift
Gonna break the roof in—set fire to the place as a parting gift
Walk to clear your head? Whatever happened to taking a walk to the nearest bar and pounding a few shots! Congrats! If you end up in Boston, let me know. I can likely get you a research in if you're interested in tissue engineering or ortho.
Will do. ;)

Reactions: 5 users