Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
@hoihoi @breakintheroof ! I don't mean to @ridethecliche but @wowsers! Congrats on Hahvard! That is @hellanutella! Also thanks for being so @FriendlyFH on these forums and helping everyone in this @Cyberdyne 101 space! You are a true @Ace Khalifa !

Okay I'm done and I'll go get a life now...
P.s. Congrats, that's awesome! I'm so happy for you and your successful cycle!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I need to get a life as well. Everynight before I fall asleep I thought, tomorrow I'm gonna embrace the opportunity of this free time before med school to do something extraordinary. Every morning I wake up glued to SDN.

And btw @Tman90 , the PENN thread can really borrow some of your intelligence to comPENNsate for the anxiety of waiting.

Reactions: 2 users
@hoihoi @breakintheroof ! I don't mean to @ridethecliche but @wowsers! Congrats on Hahvard! That is @hellanutella! Also thanks for being so @FriendlyFH on these forums and helping everyone in this @Cyberdyne 101 space! You are a true @Ace Khalifa !

You spelled @hoihaie wrong. :p

But seriously, @breakintheroof deserves ALL THE CONGRATS. Also, HST sounds super intense and I would probably fail if I had to go through that curriculum lololol. I never took math higher than calc 2, hated physics, and barely scraped an A- out of 1st semester biochem. Is NP as PBL-heavy as it says it is? I know some schools like Mizzou have 90% PBL curriculum which is ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@hoihaie @breakintheroof ! I don't mean to @ridethecliche but @wowsers! Congrats on Hahvard, or as I like to call it, "the Crimson @RedPhys "! That is @hellanutella! Also thanks for being so @FriendlyFH on these forums and helping everyone in this @Cyberdyne 101 space! You are a true @Ace Khalifa !
I tried to come up with a response incorporating your username. Couldn't make it happen. I want us to savor this post because what @Tman90 has done is even more difficult than it looks!

Edit: And he's keeping it going. History is being made here, folks.

@hoihaie @breakintheroof ! I don't mean to @ridethecliche but @wowsers! Congrats on Hahvard, or as I like to call it, "the Crimson @RedPhys "! That is @hellanutella that you don't have to @moop around anymore waiting on them! Also thanks for being so @FriendlyFH on these forums and helping everyone in this @Cyberdyne 101 space! You are a true @Ace Khalifa ! you are @ProbablyAPenguin seeing how you did so well!

Edited for more funzies
I unliked your post so I could like it again.

Reactions: 7 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Actually @breakintheroof go to Stanford. The weather here suckssss!

hahaha thanks, but don't encourage the @Tman90 , he'll just keep making stupid puns

the-todd.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
@hoihaie @breakintheroof ! I don't mean to @ridethecliche but @wowsers! Congrats on Hahvard, or as I like to call it, "the Crimson @RedPhys "! That is @hellanutella that you don't have to @moop around anymore waiting on them! Also thanks for being so @FriendlyFH on these forums and helping everyone in this @Cyberdyne 101 space! You are a true @Ace Khalifa ! you are @ProbablyAPenguin seeing how you did so well! Maybe you can tell us your secrets, are you a @f4reignbeauty and bedazzled them with your looks or maybe @researchismymiddlename ? Either way, I hope you don't mind the cold and the snow because Boston ain't no @miamiheatfan!

Edited for more funzies
I unliked and reliked your post again. LOL I have no life either.

Reactions: 1 users
Went to a presentation today where one of the attendings I work for was discussing his translational research where they 3D print bones for implants as well as use 3D printing to make scaffolding for growing tumors so you can test different drug combinations against the 3D structure where drug diffusion and efficacy is very different than on traditional 2D models.

It's so freaking fascinating. I'm so tempted to just tell him I want to work for him for a few months, but that'd cut into my time of traveling abroad. I'll have to think about it. This stuff sounds like the only basic science thing I've been interested in in almost a decade!

Maybe in summer between MS1-2?

Went to a presentation today where one of the attendings I work for was discussing his translational research where they 3D print bones for implants as well as use 3D printing to make scaffolding for growing tumors so you can test different drug combinations against the 3D structure where drug diffusion and efficacy is very different than on traditional 2D models.

It's so freaking fascinating. I'm so tempted to just tell him I want to work for him for a few months, but that'd cut into my time of traveling abroad. I'll have to think about it. This stuff sounds like the only basic science thing I've been interested in in almost a decade!

Maybe in summer between MS1-2?
That sounds amazing! Would you definitely have the opportunity to work with him when you're med student? I wouldn't pass this up, but that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, if any of you end up in Boston or are here now and want contacts for this kind of ish, let me know. If you look decent on paper and come off well in person these guys love hard workers.

That sounds amazing! Would you definitely have the opportunity to work with him when you're med student? I wouldn't pass this up, but that's just me.

Yeah, I might start talking to him now about doing something 75% basic/translational and 25% clinical research so I can get a couple of pubs. I could start doing groundwork now. Having more research at a place like this never hurts...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
MANUSCRIPT RESUBMITTED. OMG I HAVE SPENT AN AVERAGE OF 10 HRS A DAY AT WORK OVER THE LAST WEEK JUST WORKING ON THIS INCLUDING THE WEEKEND.

Now to go nucking futs.

(aka sip some scotch at home and get my ass to bed. I need to catch up on everything else I missed over this last week while doing this.)

Reactions: 4 users
Went to a presentation today where one of the attendings I work for was discussing his translational research where they 3D print bones for implants

One of the orthos I work for does 3D printing for total knee replacements. They completely map the patient's knee joint and bone surfaces and then 3D print the replacement components so it is a much better fit and maintains the patient's natural joint mechanics... So. Freaking. Awesome!

Yah it's pretty cool. I'm honestly more interested in the tumor applications since it'll allow for radically different treatments and allow you to currettage and fill in bone matrix instead of having to do a more radical resection.

Also, I'm at a bar. Score!

One of the orthos I work for does 3D printing for total knee replacements. They completely map the patient's knee joint and bone surfaces and then 3D print the replacement components so it is a much better fit and maintains the patient's natural joint mechanics... So. Freaking. Awesome!
Omg! That is amazing!!!
image.jpg

Speaking of amazing, the Duke thread is at the 2,000-message threshold. There have been more than 1,000 posts in the last week and a half.

Reality is so distorted at Duke that a new term had to be invented for their notification style.
Oh Duke, I've heard of the silent rejection, but the silent acceptance is definitely a new one...

Reactions: 6 users
Speaking of amazing, the Duke thread is at the 2,000-message threshold. There have been more than 1,000 posts in the last week and a half.

Reality is so distorted at Duke that a new term had to be invented for their notification style.
The stress was not fun. Even though it was a rejection, I'm just happy to have an answer now.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1425492115.487206.jpg

In non application news...

Got into the Supreme Court today to hear the King v. Burwell oral arguments. Court is evenly split, swing votes Roberts and Kennedy ever so hard to predict. Definitely looking at a 5-4 decision come June. Waited outside from 2:30 am and got in 8:20. Worth it to witness some history :thumbup:

Reactions: 8 users
View attachment 189895
In non application news...

Got into the Supreme Court today to hear the King v. Burwell oral arguments. Court is evenly split, swing votes Roberts and Kennedy ever so hard to predict. Definitely looking at a 5-4 decision come June. Waited outside from 2:30 am and got in 8:20. Worth it to witness some history :thumbup:
I was wondering if you were going to try to get in to see it based on your interests. That's pretty awesome.

I was wondering if you were going to try to get in to see it based on your interests. That's pretty awesome.
Thanks. Honestly the five-hour one way amtrak ride and missing class probably doesn't make the best cost-benefit analysis, but whatever. It was cool and I saw how much the justices' chairs recline. Goddamn. Looked like Thomas was asleep for 3 min straight

Thanks. Honestly the five-hour one way amtrak ride and missing class probably doesn't make the best cost-benefit analysis, but whatever. It was cool and I saw how much the justices' chairs recline. Goddamn. Looked like Thomas was asleep for 3 min straight
When I took con law, an assignment required me to pose as Justice Thomas for a specific case. I had to act like him during the mock oral arguments and write an opinion through his lens. Naturally, I didn't utter a word during the oral arguments and I wrote the most ridiculous and hard line opinion possible. Easy A.

Only 3 minutes? must have had an extra cup of joe this morning.

Some people still haven't heard any decision and could not get an answer from the admission office. Some were accepted three times! Phone Call and two different mails. Why differentiate among all your accepted students by leaving some people out from this method? If using phone call as notification system then it's just fair to make sure everyone is called.

As Willy38 said, if anything happen to his mail, he'd never know! And why on earth they schedule their second look so close to the decision date and not informing everybody the detailed schedule when apparently it's already determined and published on some obscure corner on their website.

Even though I was not waiting for decision from Duke, I feel their pain so accurately. I underwent an hour and half of agony when UMichigan released the decision an hour late. Can't imagine being in that state of mind for way over a week. And Michigan apologized so profusely when it's not even their fault.

Holy crap @breakintheroof big big big congrats on the Haahhhhhvaaaahhddd acceptance! It's so great to see this thread blow up in the 12 or so hours that I was away from SDN.

And condolences for everyone in the Duke thread. It was jolly good fun to watch everything unfold from afar, but I can imagine how awful it must be to go through all that for days on end. Hopefully this thread will live on in SDN fame/infamy, so your suffering will not be all for naught. ;)

And now some people never heard anything from Duke just got a second look email, and only then he was told that he was accepted. While some other people again heard nothing. In this day and age: why this happen

It has gone out of hand. They asked one guy who's still in limbo if "he actually interviewed at Duke"...

Wow. The Duke drama sounds crazy. They're just doing a really poor job of notifying people???

And HUGE congrats to @breakintheroof! Incredible!!!!!

Wow. The Duke drama sounds crazy. They're just doing a really poor job of notifying people???

And HUGE congrats to @breakintheroof! Incredible!!!!!
And some other things. Like being really inconsistent about requirements when asked for clarification.

And now some people never heard anything from Duke just got a second look email, and only then he was told that he was accepted. While some other people again heard nothing. In this day and age: why this happen
I can't look away. The frustration finally got to our friend @Willy38 with the second look email thing. And wow at the admissions staff going rogue, accusing one of their own applicants of not having interviewed!

I would've broken a week ago. Duke applicants, I am thoroughly impressed with your patience through this. The students posting on that thread have been sympathetic too--it looks like this isn't a symptom of Duke culture, just some kind of slowly unfolding administrative nightmare.

I can't look away. The frustration finally got to our friend @Willy38 with the second look email thing. And wow at the admissions staff going rogue, accusing one of their own applicants of not having interviewed!

I would've broken a week ago. Duke applicants, I am thoroughly impressed with your patience through this. The students posting on that thread have been sympathetic too--it looks like this isn't a symptom of Duke culture, just some kind of slowly unfolding administrative nightmare.
I mean, the only possible explanation (not claiming it's true!) that they've lost some interviewed students' file from the database. Instead of realizing or admitting this, they just chose to deny it forever. Otherwise why would not even know if someone has interviewed or not? Why they can tell one guy he's accepted over the phone, but was so confused when other people called--had to write down those people's name and phone number?

Wait, so someone interviewed at Duke and then the admissions office claimed that they never went to an interview?

Holy crap.

Wait, so someone interviewed at Duke and then the admissions office claimed that they never went to an interview?

Holy crap.
I should clarify. Someone reported that when they called to ask why they hadn't gotten any word about their decision, the office asked them if they had interviewed. The people answering the phones don't seem to have access to applicants' files. The way I put it earlier makes it sound like they said, "No you are mistaken, you never interviewed here," like they do with Jodie Foster's daughter in Flightplan. Not that extreme.

Still, the bungling is impressive. Hopefully they are on top of their game next year. Stanford was pretty bad last year, interviewing people in May and letting them know their decisions in June, and they have (I think) tightened things up a bit this year.

Last edited:
I should clarify. Someone reported that when they called to ask why they hadn't gotten any word, the office asked them if they had interviewed. The people answering the phones don't seem to have access to applicants' files. The way I put it earlier makes it sound like they said, "No you are mistaken, you never interviewed here," like they do with Jodie Foster's daughter in Flightplan. Not that extreme.

Still, the bungling is impressive. Hopefully they are on top of their game this year. Stanford was pretty bad last year, interviewing people in May and letting them know their decisions in June, and they have (I think) tightened things up a bit this year.
It's interesting. I called the duke admissions office to ask them if acceptance letters had anything time sensitive. They looked up my name. Confirmed I was accepted. Said they remembered me from my interview day and we're excited to see me at second look. Etc etc. All professional and polite and put together!

Reactions: 6 users
It's interesting. I called the duke admissions office to ask them if acceptance letters had anything time sensitive. They looked up my name. Confirmed I was accepted. Said they remembered me from my interview day and we're excited to see me at second look. Etc etc. All professional and polite and put together!
We've entered the Twilight Zone. There must be two Dukes.

Congratulations by the way!

This might be the @ProbablyAPenguin red carpet treatment ;)

Congrats people! Awesome acceptances! Hope you all got into your dream schools and are able to relax now :)

Also, I'm amazed by how social this thread is, thought sdn was full of adcoms and sub-100 post newbs (like myself ;))

How did you all get to know each other? Just on sdn?

And my 2cents related to a few posts prior:
I'm enamored by tech and so was happy to see y'all debating on what computer to buy!
Several options for ya with +ve's and -ve's:
  • Get a laptop and a desktop pc for home
    • Pros
      • can get an inexpensive (less storage, less specs), light laptop for class
      • can get a powerhouse pc for home and never worry about slowing down your computer or running out of storage
      • can get a big monitor (or 2!) for home use, increasing productivity (in most cases)
    • Cons
      • cost of 2 computers (though depending on what you get, can be still be cheap)
      • data is present in more than one location (can be resolved by having cloud storage or an automatic backup system or a NAS setup or old school copy and paste)
      • expensive (dependent on which computers you end up buying of course)
  • Get a laptop and an external display (or even 2!) for home
    • Pros
      • Just one computer, so no worries about moving data around, etc.
      • cheaper to buy a good laptop and just a screen instead of another desktop pc
    • Cons
      • As your sole computer, the laptop has to be powerful enough for all purposes
      • if it dies, you are without a personal computer
  • Get a laptop
    • Pros
      • Just one PC! No headache
      • Cheapest
    • Cons
      • Screen size has to be small to carry around but may not be optimal for productivity
      • Has to be powerful
      • same as w/screen
I'm currently rocking a lenovo yoga 2 pro and an external monitor - serves my purposes but for med school I may want to get a desktop as well, since I do some heavy programming and GFX design and may want to incorporate that stuff with my research.

If you want a touch screen, good display, good battery life, good specs and can live without a mac (important since lots of people can't :p) I'd suggest you go for the lenovo! It's served me well for the past year! Super light and high res display!

That last para made me sound like a lenovo rep so let's talk other laptops:
Macbook Pro w/Retina: my personal favorite! all around excellent laptop, only thing that held me back from buying it was the price and the fact that I use windows a lot. very light and gorgeous display (for all the detailed pics you'll be looking at in med school :))
Macbook Air: A nice laptop, good if you don't plan on doing anything too intense (word, email, music, etc.), crazy thin
Surface pro 3: Everything looks good, screen size is too small for a daily driver in my humble opinion. Perhaps the surface pro 4 will fix this? Specs are good and the digitizer included in teh display means your handwritten notes will be more precise!

Other options: you don't really need a high speced laptop. If you are only taking notes, watching movies, reading email, etc. I'd go for the laptop that is the lightest and with the best battery life (like the air) or something cheaper. This leaves room for a desktop pc in your budget.

A drawing tablet (like a wacom) takes a little getting used to but can be super useful if you like to draw things out and want them to be preserved on your PC. Taking pics of your drawings on paper would be an alternative but who wants to do that :p. If so, you might want to purchase it well in advance of med school to make sure you're comfortable with it. Low res alternatives include, drawing apps on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. I've actually just used my finger and MS Paint on my lenovo to draw synapses and it's served me well!

The ideal time to purchase is during the back to school sales but you can check the price changes on a site like http://camelcamelcamel.com/ to see if you're getting the best prices.

External HDDs are getting cheaper, but I wouldn't suggest having anything less than 200GB in your main PC as pics, vids, etc. take up a lot of space nowadays and you want to have extra space instead of having to delete files often to always make space. Otherwise, getting a TB of external HDD space is possible for less than $100 dollars so definitely get some to do frequent backups of your files!

Anyways I could probably talk about this forever so if you have more specific q's hit me up!

I feel bad for laughing at this irony. The situation ceased to be funny since Day 3. I feel so grave that an admission office can seem to be so unaffected by such prolonged suffering.
Or maybe the Duke admissions office is just secretly (or not-so-secretly) sadistic? "Dance, my pre-med puppets, dance!"

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats people! Awesome acceptances! Hope you all got into your dream schools and are able to relax now :)

Also, I'm amazed by how social this thread is, thought sdn was full of adcoms and sub-100 post newbs (like myself ;))

How did you all get to know each other? Just on sdn?

And my 2cents related to a few posts prior:
I'm enamored by tech and so was happy to see y'all debating on what computer to buy!
Several options for ya with +ve's and -ve's:
  • Get a laptop and a desktop pc for home
    • Pros
      • can get an inexpensive (less storage, less specs), light laptop for class
      • can get a powerhouse pc for home and never worry about slowing down your computer or running out of storage
      • can get a big monitor (or 2!) for home use, increasing productivity (in most cases)
    • Cons
      • cost of 2 computers (though depending on what you get, can be still be cheap)
      • data is present in more than one location (can be resolved by having cloud storage or an automatic backup system or a NAS setup or old school copy and paste)
      • expensive (dependent on which computers you end up buying of course)
  • Get a laptop and an external display (or even 2!) for home
    • Pros
      • Just one computer, so no worries about moving data around, etc.
      • cheaper to buy a good laptop and just a screen instead of another desktop pc
    • Cons
      • As your sole computer, the laptop has to be powerful enough for all purposes
      • if it dies, you are without a personal computer
  • Get a laptop
    • Pros
      • Just one PC! No headache
      • Cheapest
    • Cons
      • Screen size has to be small to carry around but may not be optimal for productivity
      • Has to be powerful
      • same as w/screen
I'm currently rocking a lenovo yoga 2 pro and an external monitor - serves my purposes but for med school I may want to get a desktop as well, since I do some heavy programming and GFX design and may want to incorporate that stuff with my research.

If you want a touch screen, good display, good battery life, good specs and can live without a mac (important since lots of people can't :p) I'd suggest you go for the lenovo! It's served me well for the past year! Super light and high res display!

That last para made me sound like a lenovo rep so let's talk other laptops:
Macbook Pro w/Retina: my personal favorite! all around excellent laptop, only thing that held me back from buying it was the price and the fact that I use windows a lot. very light and gorgeous display (for all the detailed pics you'll be looking at in med school :))
Macbook Air: A nice laptop, good if you don't plan on doing anything too intense (word, email, music, etc.), crazy thin
Surface pro 3: Everything looks good, screen size is too small for a daily driver in my humble opinion. Perhaps the surface pro 4 will fix this? Specs are good and the digitizer included in teh display means your handwritten notes will be more precise!

Other options: you don't really need a high speced laptop. If you are only taking notes, watching movies, reading email, etc. I'd go for the laptop that is the lightest and with the best battery life (like the air) or something cheaper. This leaves room for a desktop pc in your budget.

A drawing tablet (like a wacom) takes a little getting used to but can be super useful if you like to draw things out and want them to be preserved on your PC. Taking pics of your drawings on paper would be an alternative but who wants to do that :p. If so, you might want to purchase it well in advance of med school to make sure you're comfortable with it. Low res alternatives include, drawing apps on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. I've actually just used my finger and MS Paint on my lenovo to draw synapses and it's served me well!

The ideal time to purchase is during the back to school sales but you can check the price changes on a site like http://camelcamelcamel.com/ to see if you're getting the best prices.

External HDDs are getting cheaper, but I wouldn't suggest having anything less than 200GB in your main PC as pics, vids, etc. take up a lot of space nowadays and you want to have extra space instead of having to delete files often to always make space. Otherwise, getting a TB of external HDD space is possible for less than $100 dollars so definitely get some to do frequent backups of your files!

Anyways I could probably talk about this forever so if you have more specific q's hit me up!
Thanks so much for the advice. I originally thought of just buying another MBA. But your post reminded me that I might need something more powerful when I get involved in research. I guess I can keep using my current MBA and then when situation calls for, I'll just get a powerful desktop. I do see a problem with that combination though, I'll be having one PC system among many Mac/iOS X gadget. Do you think it'll be very complicated to switch/divide work and data among those devices?

Got my second look plane ticket. Bye bye tax refund. :(

So when I clicked on your previous avatar, it actually showed your current one! The effect was really cool!!

Hopkins?!

I have no idea what's up with my avatar! On Tuesday it started showing the one I had back in '12. Maybe when I get some free time this weekend I'll rustle up a brand shiny new one.

¡Sí! So stoked. It's a full 3 day revisit so I suppose you get a lot of bang for your buck. Hopefully the east coast weather is much better by then... today Hopkins was closed due to 6" of snow. (I know you Bostonians/North Dakotans are rolling your eyes right about now. ;)).

I have no idea what's up with my avatar! On Tuesday it started showing the one I had back in '12. Maybe when I get some free time this weekend I'll rustle up a brand shiny new one.

¡Sí! So stoked. It's a full 3 day revisit so I suppose you get a lot of bang for your buck. Hopefully the east coast weather is much better by then... today Hopkins was closed due to 6" of snow. (I know you Bostonians/North Dakotans are rolling your eyes right about now. ;)).
omg 6 inches lololol

omg 6 inches lololol

Dude, when it "snowed" for 30 minutes (more like spat little bits of flaky freezing rain during a rouge 30 degree day) my high school gave us a snow day. I think that was the first time in 15+ years my hometown got "snow." SoCal is a wild, wild place.