Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
omg 6 inches lololol

Dude, when it "snowed" for 30 minutes (more like spat little bits of flaky freezing rain during a rouge 30 degree day) my high school gave us a snow day. I think that was the first time in 15+ years my hometown got "snow." SoCal is a wild, wild place.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody doing northwestern 2nd look? I can't make it but I'll be in Chicago on the Saturday after if you're still there!

EVMS just emailed their 2nd look weekend RSVP form. I'll be going since I don't have a choice lololol. @youmeandthesea, are you also going?

Thanks so much for the advice.
No problem! Sorry for butting in amid the rather serious discussion on Duke's fiasco.
I originally thought of just buying another MBA. But your post reminded me that I might need something more powerful when I get involved in research. I guess I can keep using my current MBA and then when situation calls for, I'll just get a powerful desktop. I do see a problem with that combination though, I'll be having one PC system among many Mac/iOS X gadget. Do you think it'll be very complicated to switch/divide work and data among those devices?
Depends on the level of research and the type of programs you'll be using! Any ideas? Since you already have an MBA, you could try running those software on your current computer - if they run without a hitch then you should be fine with a new MBA as well. Is there any reason you're going for a PC instead of an iMac (http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/) or MacPro (http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/)? If cost is holding you back, you can always build a hackintosh (http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-o-5841604) which is not too difficult and still functional. Otherwise, there may be a few things you have to keep in mind between gadget use (like the fact that only FAT32 will be readable between Mac's and PC's) but many people use both ecosystems without any headaches and as long as you know what you're getting into you should be fine!

One of the projects I was hoping to finish up just got given to a different researcher.

I feel like I should be relieved since it means I'll wrap up the year with less insanity and I have a few other things to do, but I spent so much time working on this last year that I'm really disappointed that I won't get to see it through while I'm here. I'd have no problem handing it off if I wasn't going to be here, but this is frustrating especially because the PI did it without telling me.

No problem! Sorry for butting in amid the rather serious discussion on Duke's fiasco.

Depends on the level of research and the type of programs you'll be using! Any ideas? Since you already have an MBA, you could try running those software on your current computer - if they run without a hitch then you should be fine with a new MBA as well. Is there any reason you're going for a PC instead of an iMac (http://www.apple.com/imac-with-retina/) or MacPro (http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/)? If cost is holding you back, you can always build a hackintosh (http://lifehacker.com/the-always-up-to-date-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-o-5841604) which is not too difficult and still functional. Otherwise, there may be a few things you have to keep in mind between gadget use (like the fact that only FAT32 will be readable between Mac's and PC's) but many people use both ecosystems without any headaches and as long as you know what you're getting into you should be fine!

Since you seem to be very knowledgable on the topic.... If you were to get a pro, would you recommend 13 or 15 inch?

Members don't see this ad :)
After throwing down $300+ for a flight to UVA's second look, I'm not sure if I'll be able to :\

You have my empathy there. :( I loved UVA, but it seems like Cville is a ludicrously expensive place to fly into.

Another problem with interview schedules/second looks are the odd timeframes; I can get a flight to the east coast that'll drop me off at 8 pm for $300, but if I want to make my midday finaid appointment the price jumps to $500. x____x

Reactions: 1 user
After throwing down $300+ for a flight to UVA's second look, I'm not sure if I'll be able to :\
Okay :( This probably would have been the only time I'd ever get to meet you in real life, but I understand. *Insert rant about how unfair the financial aspect of this application process, including attending second look weekends, is*

Saw this just now. Apologize if the humor is a bit dry, but...breaking news everyone!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1425675715.300646.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Just found out that all of the schools to which I have been accepted have Second Look at the same time...lol

Reactions: 10 users
I have the same problem, guys! I have four acceptances, and all four of them have the same Second Look weekend. The only school I have yet to hear back from post-interview has Second Look then too! Seriously, what is so fantastic about the weekend of April 16-18? I know in the grand scheme of things I am so lucky to have this problem, but how do I decide? :(

I have the same problem, guys! I have four acceptances, and all four of them have the same Second Look weekend. The only school I have yet to hear back from post-interview has Second Look then too! Seriously, what is so fantastic about the weekend of April 16-18? I know in the grand scheme of things I am so lucky to have this problem, but how do I decide? :(
April 10-12 is also apparently so fantastic that many med schools have their second looks then. I'd say make a list of pros and cons for each school based off whatever you learned/remember from interview day ASAP.

I haven't been here in a while, but you guys have been doing amazing with the acceptances! Good luck to everyone hearing back next week from the rest of the non-rolling schools!

Reactions: 4 users
Haha. We were all thinking it, but thanks for being the prick to say it. :rolleyes:

I can say it because I only got into Albany. AND I still haven't received my Miami decision AND he's had more interviews than me.

If it was one of you overachievers, it would have just been rude.

:p

I think ace knows I wasn't putting him down lol.
Always happy to play the part though ahahhahahhaha.

I should have said: "Look down at all your acceptances and be reminded."
ahhaha.

Last edited:

That's the weekend for mine too!! But I've already decided which to attend, luckily. I wish you all the best with your decision!!

LOL it's not a burn if I wasn't insulted. Also, going to second look is good if I get off waitlists and then still need to compare schools.

Reactions: 1 users
I can say it because I only got into Albany. AND I still haven't received my Miami decision AND he's had more interviews than me.

If it was one of you overachievers, it would have just been rude.

:p

I think ace knows I wasn't putting him down lol.
Always happy to play the part though ahahhahahhaha.

I should have said: "Look down at all your acceptances and be reminded."
ahhaha.

If I wasn't ____ right now, maybe I'd have been insulted lololol.

Last edited:
Anyone else going to UVA's second look coming up? It's the only one I think I'll go to as I'm fairly certain this is where I'll be attending.

unnamed.jpg

Parking spot(s) reserved specifically for @sunflower18.

Hope everyone has a brilliant weekend! Good luck with second look planning!

Reactions: 8 users
I've got two questions about AMCAS traffic rules that perhaps one on you smart and well informed SDNers might know. 1) when do the schools that have accepted you see what other schools you have been accepted to? 2) if one school has offered you a scholarship, does AMCAS allow other schools to see this?

I've got two questions about AMCAS traffic rules that perhaps one on you smart and well informed SDNers might know. 1) when do the schools that have accepted you see what other schools you have been accepted to? 2) if one school has offered you a scholarship, does AMCAS allow other schools to see this?
1) schools can already see other acceptances held by their accepted applicants, in a couple weeks they can see acceptances held by their waitlisted applicants.

2) merit scholarship isn't reported to AMCAS, you'll have to communicate your other offers to desired school yourself if they are willing to see what they could do.

Reactions: 1 users
Every time I hear second look, I think 'one look' and I'll share my mental image with you lot.

maxresdefault.jpg