Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I WAS THERE!!!

RAHZEL WAS THERE TOO AND DID THE 'IF YOUR MOTHER ONLY KNEW' BEATBOX THING TOO!
I met him and the Roots as well. IMO, Illadelph Halflife is one of the best hip-hop albums ever.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I met him and the Roots as well. IMO, Illadelph Halflife is one of the best hip-hop albums ever.

Wait the roots were at that show? Dint remember that.

Ugh I love the roots. Game theory is so Freaking good.

When I used to lift pre injury, nas' illmatic was my heavy lifting playlist. Ny state of mind is so clutch.

Wait the roots were at that show? Dint remember that.

Ugh I love the roots. Game theory is so Freaking good.

When I used to lift pre injury, nas' illmatic was my heavy lifting playlist. Ny state of mind is so clutch.
Yep, they were there. I also met Nas a couple of times-lol.
Ain't Hard to Tell is probably my favorite song on Illmatic.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
MRW reading through the last few pages of this thread:
:whoa:

...oh cool, you guys are talking about rappers now. Err..anyone a classical music fan?? +pity+

Reactions: 4 users
MRW reading through the last few pages of this thread:
:whoa:

...oh cool, you guys are talking about rappers now. Err..anyone a classical music fan?? +pity+
I am!!!! The usual Mozart, Bach (is he considered classical?) and Beethoven. I also love Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone! I've been reading and liking posts, so I must speak from time to time to not seem like a lurker! I teach (at a charter at that), therefore I don't have as much time as I'd like for sdn! Okay...have a wonderful day!

Reactions: 5 users
Yep, they were there. I also met Nas a couple of times-lol.
Ain't Hard to Tell is probably my favorite song on Illmatic.

Great, so I saw the roots before I knew who they were lol. Nas was there too? I'll be pissed at my younger self if both those are true lol.

Happy Monday! Have a great week everyone!!!

Current Mood:

Ready for Monday?
B0VbTv_CEAE2Ytm.jpg

Reactions: 17 users
Great, so I saw the roots before I knew who they were lol. Nas was there too? I'll be pissed at my younger self if both those are true lol.
Nas wasn't there. Although, I did run into him on other occasions (I've also been to a few of his shows). I've always wanted to meet Ice Cube. Maybe in California?! :)

Cyberdyne101 you just became my new favorite person. I'm the only person of my friend group who likes legit 90s rap. Tupac was the greatest lyricist that I have ever heard, he was magical. What was even more amazing is that him and his Outlawz were all amazing rappers, and every song featuring the outlawz (Hit 'em up! [best diss song ever], and when we ride, etc, was amazing.) Tupac was also able to deliver the most powerful messages of any music I've ever heard. Dear Mama was so touching, I still get goosebumps when I think about it. Changes was revolutionary, his lyrics were amazing and the message was so powerful (shoutout to Bruce hornsby for the instrumental from "That's the Way it is." But I have to recognize Biggie's flow, which is legendary. I actually saw an old video of Tupac and Biggie back in the early 90s freestyle at a club, and Tupac actually heldhis own, which was awesome.NWA was a similiar deal to the outlawz, I mean Easy was a great lyricist as well. Dre pulled the crowd out (was a shame to see them fight when Easy fell out with NWA, but so touched when I Need a Doctor showed his reconciliation with Easy at his grave). Ice Cube was amazing overall, great lyricist and great flow, not to mention his crowd appeal. Ice-T is one of my faovirtes. Ice was the original O.G, and he grandfathered a lot of what the 90s rap era was all about: flowing lyrics to a bumping beat that delivered a message. Everyone keeps saying Ice is old, well yeah he is, but he is wise, he has earned his greatness so many times over (O.G., I must stand, B****s 2, Mind over Matter, and so many more).

Reactions: 2 users
To keep this theme going:

I also really like the funky stuff like del tha funkee homosapien, MF Doom, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all need to be happy that you're going to A medical school. Perspective. ;)

Anyways, Temple on Thursday. I heard it's still cold and miserable there .... Hopefully I can join you guys in your arguments soon. hehe

Reactions: 19 users
To keep this theme going:

vidz

I also really like the funky stuff like del tha funkee homosapien, MF Doom, etc.

Love me some tribe.

To switch gears, here's a Scottish dude with some serious soul. Love this jam (recorded at legendary Abbey Road)

Just wanted to drop by and say I officially became part of the class of 2019 over the weekend! Thrilled to be able to join you all!

Reactions: 21 users

Anyways, Temple on Thursday. I heard it's still cold and miserable there .... Hopefully I can join you guys in your arguments soon. hehe

CAN YOU KICK IT?

YES YOU CAN!

Good luck man!

Last edited:
Good luck on Thursday! It's actually getting a little warmer! I hope you enjoy your time in Philly! I'm gonna be on the beaches of Spain when you're here but lemme know if you need any suggestions on where to stay, sight see, etc...
Sigh ... Spain sounds awesome ........ Probably no sight-seeing for me. Already did that in my trip last month. lol

I'll probably just get wings from Moriarty's and pretzels from Terminal Market. Maybe I'll have dinner in there instead. We shall see.

Thanks for all the well-wishes all! Hopefully I still fit in my suit ... lol

1) schools can already see other acceptances held by their accepted applicants, in a couple weeks they can see acceptances held by their waitlisted applicants.

2) merit scholarship isn't reported to AMCAS, you'll have to communicate your other offers to desired school yourself if they are willing to see what they could do.

So do medical schools see your other acceptances also BEFORE they offer you their own acceptance or only AFTER? Does anyone know? If yes, it might make them to think twice if you have already been accepted to rival schools? Thanks.

So do medical schools see your other acceptances also BEFORE they offer you their own acceptance or only AFTER? Does anyone know? If yes, it might make them to think twice if you have already been accepted to rival schools? Thanks.
Only after they have made a decision on you, as far as I know.

Dove.jpg

Will do, Dove. :)

Reactions: 6 users
I think i'm going to throw caution to the wind and send a final update to jeff and tufts.

@FriendlyFH is trying to be coy in in the Michigan thread, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say congratulations on the moneys! :highfive:

Reactions: 9 users
@FriendlyFH is trying to be coy in in the Michigan thread, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say congratulations on the moneys! :highfive:
Thanks so much! It felt like yesterday when I heard about Dean's scholarship from an info session given by Michigan a couple years ago at my college. Can't believe it just happened to me. The scholarship is great that in addition to MD tuition, they cover one year tuition for any master program, so I might get an MBA for a very low cost. Also there will be a lot of additional interactions with faculties and leadership training.

Wish everyone here great fortune ahead of you.

Reactions: 14 users
Thanks so much! It felt like yesterday when I heard about Dean's scholarship from an info session given by Michigan a couple years ago at my college. Can't believe it just happened to me. The scholarship is great that in addition to MD tuition, they cover one year tuition for any master program, so I might get an MBA for a very low cost. Also there will be a lot of additional interactions with faculties and leadership training.

sooooo... no Wash U?

That sounds awesome! I don't know that much about you, but from what I've seen on SDN it sounds like you really deserve it and will put it to great use!!

That sounds awesome! I don't know that much about you, but from what I've seen on SDN it sounds like you really deserve it and will put it to great use!!
Thanks again for giving me the benefits of such kind assumptions. We all could have gone other routes that are easier and more lucrative and we all chose to put our life to great use. Really looking forward to work in the same field with you all.

I am!!!! The usual Mozart, Bach (is he considered classical?) and Beethoven. I also love Tchaikovsky and Rimsky-Korsakov!

Bach isn't from the classical period but he's still classical music :D If you like Tchaikovsky, check out Rachmaninov; he's also a Russian romantic! His piano concertos are the most well known, but my personal favorite is "Isle of the dead"

Reactions: 2 users

That's amazing!! Congratulations!!!!

@ProbablyAPenguin, I don't know...I'm not sure that I should be picking and choose. Seriously I would have come running given any of my options. Really not sure.

@jeghaber , welcome to the hood! I hope you've been having lots of fun in Korea and ready to start kicking ass at Stanford soon. So you play piano? Who's your favorite composer in the entire history?

Someone recommend me a book to read before fall :)

Quick fun read: The Martian by Weir
Scifi canon: Dune by Hebert
Beautiful writing: Blindness by Saramago
Literary monsterpiece: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Marquez
Old favorite: The Book Thief by Zusak
Non-fiction tearjerker: Unbroken by Hillenbrand
Foreign authors: anything by Murakami (his new one is pretty good so far)
Science non-fiction: The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks by Skloot
Book-turned-movie: Cloud Atlas by Mitchell
The quick Gaiman experience: Neverwhere by Gaiman

Cyberdyne101 you just became my new favorite person. I'm the only person of my friend group who likes legit 90s rap. Tupac was the greatest lyricist that I have ever heard, he was magical. What was even more amazing is that him and his Outlawz were all amazing rappers, and every song featuring the outlawz (Hit 'em up! [best diss song ever], and when we ride, etc, was amazing.) Tupac was also able to deliver the most powerful messages of any music I've ever heard. Dear Mama was so touching, I still get goosebumps when I think about it. Changes was revolutionary, his lyrics were amazing and the message was so powerful (shoutout to Bruce hornsby for the instrumental from "That's the Way it is." But I have to recognize Biggie's flow, which is legendary. I actually saw an old video of Tupac and Biggie back in the early 90s freestyle at a club, and Tupac actually heldhis own, which was awesome.NWA was a similiar deal to the outlawz, I mean Easy was a great lyricist as well. Dre pulled the crowd out (was a shame to see them fight when Easy fell out with NWA, but so touched when I Need a Doctor showed his reconciliation with Easy at his grave). Ice Cube was amazing overall, great lyricist and great flow, not to mention his crowd appeal. Ice-T is one of my faovirtes. Ice was the original O.G, and he grandfathered a lot of what the 90s rap era was all about: flowing lyrics to a bumping beat that delivered a message. Everyone keeps saying Ice is old, well yeah he is, but he is wise, he has earned his greatness so many times over (O.G., I must stand, B****s 2, Mind over Matter, and so many more).
I still listen to Me Against the World and All Eyez on Me on a regular basis.

Oh thank you!!!

@ProbablyAPenguin, I don't know...I'm not sure that I should be picking and choose. Seriously I would have come running given any of my options. Really not sure.

@jeghaber , welcome to the hood! I hope you've been having lots of fun in Korea and ready to start kicking ass at Stanford soon. So you play piano? Who's your favorite composer in the entire history?

Yeah! Never could have imagined saying this, but I can't wait for school to start! :) Unfortunately, I don't play piano -- I'm just a dorky orchestral musician, hahah. I dunno if I can pick a single favorite but my guess is Shostakovich? It really depends on my mood; Mahler when I'm looking for something grand, Stravinsky for when I want to listen with a score; Shostakovich for something darkly refreshing, Debussy for an intimate listening experience, Brahms when I just want something beautiful and easy to listen to...I could go on forever! :p

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah! Never could have imagined saying this, but I can't wait for school to start! :) Unfortunately, I don't play piano -- I'm just a dorky orchestral musician, hahah. I dunno if I can pick a single favorite but my guess is Shostakovich? It really depends on my mood; Mahler when I'm looking for something grand, Stravinsky for when I want to listen with a score; Shostakovich for something darkly refreshing, Debussy for an intimate listening experience, Brahms when I just want something beautiful and easy to listen to...I could go on forever! :p

Your choice does make you sound very dorky and very tastiful indeed! Haha. So surprised and so disappointed that I couldn't find any full interpretation for the Rite of the Spring at the 100th year since it was first performed.Debussy, yes yes and yes. I'll try some Shostakovich.

Thanks so much for the amazing book list! I've been catching up on reading, this will come in very handy. Right now. I've been moving very slowly through Will Durant. I also want to read a bit of Spinoza, but so much to read and so little time left, maybe I'll defer a year, reason: have to read.

:D:D
I'm listening to Respighi's Fountains of Rome right now :D

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is my favorite

Definitely one of his best! Was pretty disappointed by 1Q84 though so I'm pleased to see his latest one is more on track with what makes him such an intriguing read.

Your choice does make you sound very dorky and very tastiful indeed! Haha. So surprised and so disappointed that I couldn't find any full interpretation for the Rite of the Spring at the 100th year since it was first performed.Debussy, yes yes and yes. I'll try some Shostakovich.

Thanks so much for the amazing book list! I've been catching up on reading, this will come in very handy. Right now. I've been moving very slowly through Will Durant. I also want to read a bit of Spinoza, but so much to read and so little time left, maybe I'll defer a year, reason: have to read.

My favorite rite recording is Gergiev's. While it's one of the most savagely exhilarating, it's also completely draining. The polar opposite (and also high on my list) would be Boulez. His interpretation absolutely precise and makes the piece just *work* -- much more, er, pleasant to listen to and makes understanding the piece that much easier. The quintessential Shostakovich has to be his 5th -- check out any of Mravinsky's early ones with the Leningrad for a historical (and awesomely Russian!) interpretation.

Durant is an impressive undertaking! Best if luck as you make your way through his tomes hahah. The closest I've gotten to reading real philosophy since the intro course I took way back when has been reading Sophie's World :)

:D:D
I'm listening to Respighi's Fountains of Rome right now :D

Yassssss. Played Pines of Rome in both orchestra and band (protip: this piece is definitely not meant to be played in a band). How are you liking Fountains? I don't know that piece as well as the Pines :D

Definitely one of his best! Was pretty disappointed by 1Q84 though so I'm pleased to see his latest one is more on track with what makes him such an intriguing read.

My favorite rite recording is Gergiev's. While it's one of the most savagely exhilarating, it's also completely draining. The polar opposite (and also high on my list) would be Boulez. His interpretation absolutely precise and makes the piece just *work* -- much more, er, pleasant to listen to and makes understanding the piece that much easier. The quintessential Shostakovich has to be his 5th -- check out any of Mravinsky's early ones with the Leningrad for a historical (and awesomely Russian!) interpretation.

Durant is an impressive undertaking! Best if luck as you make your way through his tomes hahah. The closest I've gotten to reading real philosophy since the intro course I took way back when has been reading Sophie's World :)

Yassssss. Played Pines of Rome in both orchestra and band (protip: this piece is definitely not meant to be played in a band). How are you liking Fountains? I don't know that piece as well as the Pines :D
It makes me wish that I were a master oboe player. Maybe in another life-lol.

Someone recommend me a book to read before fall :)

+1 (or a thousand) for The Book Thief. One of my absolute favorites!

+1 (or a thousand) for The Book Thief. One of my absolute favorites!
WAIT
QUESTION
Does your username mean

"M1 to be" Like "I am going to be a M1"?

BECAUSE IF SO THEN I GET IT NOW

:prof:

Reactions: 11 users