Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the Pitt acceptance. I am still in love with that institution.

Thanks :cool: Remember at the beginning of the cycle, before the penguins, when you were worried that your app was late because your secondaries weren't in until late July? Look at you now, with more full rides than your two hands can hold. Your cycle can definitely be entered into the SDN hall of fame for the progeny to gaze upon with awe and wonder.

I feel like I definitely lucked out this cycle. Lil' ole me going to a big ole place like Pitt. In other news, it looks like I might be roommates with @mik30102. Good times await hoho :pompous:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks :cool: Remember at the beginning of the cycle, before the penguins, when you were worried that your app was late because your secondaries weren't in until late July? Look at you now, with more full rides than your two hands can hold. Your cycle can definitely be entered into the SDN hall of fame for the progeny to gaze upon with awe and wonder.

I feel like I definitely lucked out this cycle. Lil' ole me going to a big ole place like Pitt. In other news, it looks like I might be roommates with @mik30102. Good times await hoho :pompous:
Oh Thank you @unnumzaan ! You are so sweet. You have perfectly summarized my emotional journey. What a pansies I was. I thought my cycle was ending after I haven't had an II for 7 days after the first one from Michigan in beginning of Aug. Seriously! And the scholarship? Really? Me? So much money for me? really? It's surreal.

This year we have a lot of legends to tell the future generation. Many have done a marvelous job and ended up at reach schools despite obstacles. Bravo.

That's amazing you and @mik30102 get to spend the years at Pitt together. Where are you guys gonna live? There are so many good options! SDN have been so good in supplying new friendships. I am really thankful for it.

@onceawolverine:

HARVARD
SCRIBE HOURS A FIFTH LETTER OF INTENT STANFORD MCAT ADCOM
DON'T GO CARIBBEAN ACCEPTED TO SGU LUCOM PERSONAL STATEMENT
ONLY INTERESTED IN ORTHO TROLL YALE SCHOLARSHIP VOLUNTEERING CALIFORNIA
MAYO DUKE ADMISSIONS CLASS OF LizzyM 4.0 NOT DO NEW YORK

POST BACC URMs WAITLIST MASTERS SCHOOL SHADOWING ADCOMS

Edit: oops, you meant only school names.
I just realized @Australopithekus came up this. I thought it was some kind of automatic survey. yeah, I'm not that smart....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Y'all.

Jeff vs. UMass. Thoughts?

Calling UMass in the morning to see about money stuffs. I think I'd change my mind for 15-20k a year (maybe?). If nothing else, perhaps I can leverage to get more aid from Jeff?

Hey Y'all.

Jeff vs. UMass. Thoughts?

Calling UMass in the morning to see about money stuffs. I think I'd change my mind for 15-20k a year (maybe?). If nothing else, perhaps I can leverage to get more aid from Jeff?

If UMass comes out to be 15-20k cheaper per year, I would definitely go there over Jefferson. Isn't that already established because you get resident tuition? Or did you get a nice package from Jeff.

Achievement unlocked: Summoning the banhammer.

@ConsultantMD and I noticed something fishy in a School X vs. School Y thread last week, Hofstra vs. Dartmouth. It looks like someone made a new account to talk OP into Hofstra with the intent of furthering their own cause at Dartmouth.

It was an incarnation of one of the most common criticisms of SDN: "It's full of liars who are just looking out for themselves!" Most of the time this isn't at all true, or we wouldn't be here. But, sad to say, it does seem to happen sometimes.

Reactions: 12 users

@ConsultantMD and I noticed something fishy in a School X vs. School Y thread last week, Hofstra vs. Dartmouth. It looks like someone made a new account to talk OP into Hofstra with the intent of furthering their own cause at Dartmouth.
LOL. Damn that's messed up. The banned poster's last words:

"And I've would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids"

under-the-mask.png

Reactions: 2 users

It was an incarnation of one of the most common criticisms of SDN: "It's full of liars who are just looking out for themselves!" Most of the time this isn't at all true, or we wouldn't be here. But, sad to say, it does seem to happen sometimes.

Are you sure you're in for the life as a doctor? You seem like the Sherlock type.

Reactions: 3 users
just got accepted to Weill Cornell !!!!!!
nyc !!!
holy **** I'm dying of happiness right now

Reactions: 32 users
Members don't see this ad :)
nyc !!!

Congrats!!! You need to try every single food truck in that area. They're all amazing!

Last edited:
Ugh. I was so set on USC, and then UT southwestern throws me a curveball by accepting me from the waitlist.

I feel like I would do better at SC because I have a really tight-knit social circle there and I'd be living with my long-term girlfriend. But UT southwestern would mean I dont have to take out student loans (versus ~150k at keck), and my parents and some high school friends of mine live in dallas.

I hate this. Already losing sleep haha.

Any advice?

Ugh. I was so set on USC, and then UT southwestern throws me a curveball by accepting me from the waitlist.

I feel like I would do better at SC because I have a really tight-knit social circle there and I'd be living with my long-term girlfriend. But UT southwestern would mean I dont have to take out student loans (versus ~150k at keck), and my parents and some high school friends of mine live in dallas.

Any advice?

You should be excited! That is a great opportunity for you. You just have to weigh the 150k versus the personal considerations. 150k is a lot of money, and you could get into any field from either school.

Reactions: 5 users

Any advice?

150 still isn't bad, I decided that as long as my options were below my max debt (~180), I would choose the place that made me the happiest. But then again I didn't have any zero debt options.

Reactions: 1 user
nyc !!!

SO SO SO GLAD TO HEAR THIS! You were always active in the Cornell thread, so I can only imagine how sweet this must feel. :D Big congrats all around.

And serious shout-out to @breakintheroof for those unparalleled sleuthing skills. SDN needs more heroes like you.

Any advice?

Oooh man, that's tough. I don't have an inkling of a clue about what UTSW is like (other than it has some crazy good residency programs), but 150K is a daunting sum when compared to zero. Maybe take this to the SSD thread?

Half of me says proximity to a serious SO is worth the price tag, but this is pretty relationship-dependent. My BBF is currently doing a CA/TX LDR while his SO is in med school at Baylor. His SO chose Baylor over some of the CA schools for 1) price and 2) family in TX. While the evening Skype calls and sporadic weekend visits can't compare to being able to live with one another, they do not regret this decision. They're really hoping to settle down in the coming years and my BFF is looking into to further schooling, so the zero-debt option leaves them much better poised for this goal. However, I could very easily see this situation putting a lot of undue strain on some relationships. :shrug:

Full disclosure: I turned down a zero debt option for a school that will put me in debt (but less than 100K) based off of the happiness factor.

Reactions: 7 users
After receiving my first interview invite two hundred and seventy three days ago, traveling nearly 9,000 miles, spending thousands of dollars, and watching all of you go through the same process, I am happy to say I know where I am going for medical school. :)

WUSM Class of 2019! :clap:

Reactions: 38 users
After receiving my first interview invite two hundred and seventy three days ago, traveling nearly 9,000 miles, spending thousands of dollars, and watching all of you go through the same process, I am happy to say I know where I am going for medical school. :)

AAAAAWWWWWWW YYYEEEEAAAAHAHHHHHHH!!!!!! CONGRATSSSSS!!!!!!! #MidwestIsBest

You're a champion! Congratulations on your success and I hope our paths cross sometime during our careers!

nyc !!!
Congrats! Super happy for you! Go get out of FL and have a blast in NY!!!!! :D

Are you sure you're in for the life as a doctor? You seem like the Sherlock type.
@radiologyology and @breakintheroof, you probably know about the surgeon Joseph Bell, who was the inspiration and model for Sherlock Holmes? (Doctor Watson, on the other hand, was probably based on a much dimmer bulb!!)

From wikipedia: Arthur Conan Doyle met Bell in 1877, and served as his clerk at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Doyle later went on to write a series of popular stories featuring the fictional character Sherlock Holmes, who Doyle stated was loosely based on Bell and his observant ways.[2] Bell was aware of this inspiration and took some pride in it. According to Irving Wallace (in an essay originally in his book The Fabulous Originals but later republished and updated in his collection The Sunday Gentleman) Bell was involved in several police investigations, mostly in Scotland, such as the Ardlamont Mystery of 1893, usually with forensic expert Professor Henry Littlejohn.

Reactions: 2 users

YAY, @gettheleadout!!! Awesome sauce!

Reactions: 1 users
AAAAAWWWWWWW YYYEEEEAAAAHAHHHHHHH!!!!!! CONGRATSSSSS!!!!!!! #MidwestIsBest
internet-high-five.jpg

You're a champion! Congratulations on your success and I hope our paths cross sometime during our careers!
Haha I don't know about a champion...but thanks! Same to you and have fun at Columbia!
View attachment 191844
@gettheleadout, Wash U is an ideal place for you to land!! Congrats on your decision!!!!
Thanks! And thank you for the beautiful bird! Cardinal for StL I presume? ;)
YAY, @gettheleadout!!! Awesome sauce!
41_d.jpg

Excellent work wielding the banhammer! Why do people do that??

Also, this is my first post on this thread! #participated

Reactions: 6 users
@radiologyology and @breakintheroof, you probably know about the surgeon Joseph Bell, who was the inspiration and model for Sherlock Holmes? (Doctor Watson, on the other hand, was probably based on a much dimmer bulb!!)

From wikipedia: Arthur Conan Doyle met Bell in 1877, and served as his clerk at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Doyle later went on to write a series of popular stories featuring the fictional character Sherlock Holmes, who Doyle stated was loosely based on Bell and his observant ways.[2] Bell was aware of this inspiration and took some pride in it. According to Irving Wallace (in an essay originally in his book The Fabulous Originals but later republished and updated in his collection The Sunday Gentleman) Bell was involved in several police investigations, mostly in Scotland, such as the Ardlamont Mystery of 1893, usually with forensic expert Professor Henry Littlejohn.

Interesting. So there you go. @breakintheroof can be the next Sherlock and great surgeon!

@radiologyology and @BengaliBrat you are far too kind with the Sherlock reference. In real life I am the kind of person who never correctly guesses the killer in mystery movies. Even suckers like me can catch someone in a lie sometimes, I guess.

And @Cyberdyne 101 I have heard that the mods have supernatural abilities, like seeing the posts people delete, the edits they make, even their IP addresses?! I am sure that I would fail to use my powers to protect the community, ignoring the counsel of my departed Uncle Ben.

300 pages errybody. Congrats!

Paging @DoctorLacrosse, get in here!

Edit: Guys our school threads got shoved out to the archives. Time to hand over the reins.

Reactions: 12 users
Man. A new cycle has started. Literally a year has passed since we've prepared for the application process. A sincere CONGRATULATIONS to everyone in here! We deeedddd itttt!

Reactions: 16 users
time goes by too fast

Right. Time went by so fast! I feel like I was JUST studying for the MCAT.

Edit: Guys our school threads got shoved out to the archives. Time to hand over the reins.
Nothing made me feel more like "Wow, it's over ... It really is over." than seeing our 2014-2015 threads pushed aside with the older threads.

Seems like we've had a great run this year, though :) (also, congrats again to @DoctorLacrosse !)

Reactions: 11 users
Paging @DoctorLacrosse, get in here!

YYAAAASSSSS @DoctorLacrosse

I work with a couple of NYMC grads, they're good people.
Nothing made me feel more like "Wow, it's over ... It really is over." than seeing our 2014-2015 threads pushed aside with the older threads.

Seems like we've had a great run this year, though :) (also, congrats again to @DoctorLacrosse !)
Yeah, WOOO @DoctorLacrosse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha! I didn't even know this thread existed. shows you what waitlist purgatory does to you lmaoo

WOOOOO SO PUMPED to be joining you guys. I couldn't think of a better group to be a part of. #2019letsgooooooo

Reactions: 14 users
Damn they moved us to archives? Gonna be so weird offering insight into "my school" in a few months.... crazy!

Reactions: 10 users
I AM SO EXCITED TO START MEDICAL SCHOOL AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I'm considering looking into whether med students can be paid graduate TAs at the undergrad campus.... Thoughts? I love teaching but I don't want to take on too much.

Reactions: 9 users
I AM SO EXCITED TO START MEDICAL SCHOOL AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I'm considering looking into whether med students can be paid graduate TAs at the undergrad campus.... Thoughts? I love teaching but I don't want to take on too much.
I'm sure some of the UCLA undergrads will need help with organic :)

4 years from now, we'll all meet somewhere during residency, Class of 2019 let's go!

Reactions: 8 users
But I still have to pick between two schools.

oh yeah, I forgot you had umass now right? is this a money vs. happiness choice you have to make here?

Potentially. Hopefully I'll get my aid offer from Umass in a few days. If nothing else, maybe I can leverage from Jeff.

Potentially. Hopefully I'll get my aid offer from Umass in a few days. If nothing else, maybe I can leverage from Jeff.

that's def the route I'd suggest, it can't hurt. if aid ends up a little more at one than the other (within reason of course), I'm a big proponent of choosing happiness, but that's a choice you'll have to make when you have all the variables. you got this!