Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MDapps comes with a view counter! It's on the far right under the "share" button. (Idk why you'd want to share your MDapps on FB, but okay).
Wow, I didn't notice that either. Of the users that are listed as the "related searches" on google, sunflower18 and hellanutella have >28k, jeghaber has >38k, and NickNaylor has > 223k :wideyed:.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I didn't notice that either. Of the users that are listed as the "related searches" on google, sunflower18 and hellanutella have >28k, jeghaber has >38k, and NickNaylor has > 223k :wideyed:.

lol 223k? the eff

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
lol 223k? the eff
I know right. Obviously this is "views" and not "unique users", but still. That'd be the equivalent of more than 4 years worth of AMCAS applicants.

Having an extensive MDApps profile with a personal statement tagged in is guaranteed to have well over 50k views. Considering NickNaylor is finishing up medical school now, 223k views isn't farfetched.

@italiancowgirl CONGRATS!!!!!! I love Oregon :) :) Withdrawing from OHSU was hard, since I've spent so much time on campus and know so many people there. And that new building is gorgeous, as is the Center For Health and Healing, and gah the view from the tram!!! But it's best for me to experience something new, I think.... But Portland, Oregon, and OHSU will always have a place in my heart! In fact, I put an oregon heart sticker on my car today, and a PDX carpet keychain on my keys too.

Have a great wonderful time at OHSU! Give it my love!!
@sunflower18 , I hope that you have delegated the job of "keeping Portland weird" to reliable people! I would hate for it to de-weird! (Un-weird?) :D

Reactions: 1 users
@sunflower18 , I hope that you have delegated the job of "keeping Portland weird" to reliable people! I would hate for it to de-weird! (Un-weird?) :D

Haha!!! I know plenty of odd ducks in Portland, no worries ;) it'll be just fine!

Also, re: MDApps. It's just crazy! I hope some things that I posted helped a few people out. I need to finish my impressions haha

Haha!!! I know plenty of odd ducks in Portland, no worries ;) it'll be just fine!

Also, re: MDApps. It's just crazy! I hope some things that I posted helped a few people out. I need to finish my impressions haha

I've been waiting on your UCLA review for over half a year! ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Reactions: 3 users
Wow! My hopelessly optimistic spirit was correct!
Another Ditherer Seeking Advice
@BengaliBrat, will you join the legion of Cardinals?!
image.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! My hopelessly optimistic spirit was correct!
Another Ditherer Seeking Advice
@BengaliBrat, will you join the legion of Cardinals?!
View attachment 192563
@Cyberdyne, thank you. You have been so kind and supportive throughout this whole train wreck! I am overwhelmed, really.

I leave for a brief trip to India Monday, and WashU needs a reply by Tuesday, so I have some pretty intense thinking and soul-searching to do. I dearly love Brown, but this school has another range of wonderful to offer, so I must let my conflicting impulse wrestle till one is pinned. Cardinal or Bear? Hmm. . . I do like red! :p

@Cyberdyne, thank you. You have been so kind and supportive throughout this whole train wreck! I am overwhelmed, really.

I leave for a brief trip to India Monday, and WashU needs a reply by Tuesday, so I have some pretty intense thinking and soul-searching to do. I dearly love Brown, but this school has another range of wonderful to offer, so I must let my conflicting impulse wrestle till one is pinned. Cardinal or Bear? Hmm. . . I do like red! :p
Thank you for being a constant source of sunshine!!! If you ask me, I think you'd make a magnificent Cardinal!!!! :)

Congratulations!!!! And have a wonderful trip!!!!

First week of medical school was a blast. Second week is pretty fun too! :D

Reactions: 10 users
So...anybody else get goosebumps looking at today's "2015/2016 verification" thread? It's been a whole year (minus one day, that is)!

Reactions: 8 users
So...anybody else get goosebumps looking at today's "2015/2016 verification" thread? It's been a whole year (minus one day, that is)!
Me! It's so weird to think that I'm not going to be applying and freaking out about it 24/7. It still feels like last week I was going crazy over my first interview!

Reactions: 4 users

I'm just so grateful it isn't me again. I know I have some heinous tests ahead of me but the knowledge that I will never have to take the MCAT again had me smiling into my celebratory glass of cava last night. Just lovely.

Reactions: 6 users

+1. Feels great knowing that I've passed this obstacle! :)

#ontothenext

All I could think of when I saw that was
Finallyover.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
all I know is, you couldn't pay me enough to go through this year again hahahaha

but at the same time, if you would have told me a year ago that I'd be attending an MD program I love, I would've smacked you for lying to me. so grateful!

Reactions: 5 users
all I know is, you couldn't pay me enough to go through this year again hahahaha

but at the same time, if you would have told me a year ago that I'd be attending an MD program I love, I would've smacked you for lying to me. so grateful!
With how bad my current financial aid package is I can think of a reasonable 6-digit number I'd be willing to take, but a month ago I would have absolutely agreed with you.

Reactions: 9 users
With how bad my current financial aid package is I can think of a reasonable 6-digit number I'd be willing to take, but a month ago I would have absolutely agreed with you.

haha poor expression to use given our terrible financial circumstances I guess :p

#TeamFullLoans haha!

Reactions: 7 users
Woah, holy crap! Hopefully people have been able some use out of my app.

I forget who pointed this out to me, but this is what you get when you google "mdapplicants."
View attachment 192518

Hahah I don't know if I should be creeped out or honored. I feel bad that I didn't keep up with school impressions -- oops! Anyways, I think it may be a sign that the next time I open SDN on a laptop, it's time to remove the mdapps link from my username :p

I've been binge watching TV shows lately. In the past two weeks I have: (finally) finished the last two seasons of 30 Rock, blasted through Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, did my annual re-watch of Firefly, started and then abandoned The Flash and Fresh Off the Boat, and got caught up on this seasons's Orphan Black and Game of Thrones. Now I'm trying to decide between Fargo and True Detective. Any votes either way??

Hahah I don't know if I should be creeped out or honored. I feel bad that I didn't keep up with school impressions -- oops! Anyways, I think it may be a sign that the next time I open SDN on a laptop, it's time to remove the mdapps link from my username :p

I've been binge watching TV shows lately. In the past two weeks I have: (finally) finished the last two seasons of 30 Rock, blasted through Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, did my annual re-watch of Firefly, started and then abandoned The Flash and Fresh Off the Boat, and got caught up on this seasons's Orphan Black and Game of Thrones. Now I'm trying to decide between Fargo and True Detective. Any votes either way??

absolutely True Detective. every episode of the first season is fantastic, with the next season coming soon I believe!

Fargo easily. Followup with Banshee and Justified!

Nooooo why abandon The Flash? The whole season was so good, especially the mid-season finale and actual finale.

Nooooo why abandon The Flash? The whole season was so good, especially the mid-season finale and actual finale.

Mostly, it was because I was getting sick of the angsty voice-overs and predictable storylines. I only made it to like the fifth episode though, so maybe I'll give it another chance?

So far it's 2:1, True Detective. My impression is that both these shows are kinda like Sherlock meets SVU -- is that way off?

True Detective. Just the way each episode ends makes you want to watch the next.

I haven't done true detective yet, but Fargo was amazing.

Even the bad episodes of true detective during the first season were amazing television. Definitely watch it. Next season is going to be interesting

I've read a couple books, watched a couple movies, and finally found a Korean drama that doesn't center around women and/or a romantic love plot.

Debating whether I should read Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude or Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain, though. Both seem very long, particularly The Magic Mountain (over 700 pages). Anyone have experience with reading either?

Good summer so far, though :) Got an email earlier this week about ordering the white coat and orientation week activities

Reactions: 3 users
@jeghaber
Other TV series for your binge watching consideration: Blacklist, Hannibal, House of Cards, Homeland, Gotham, Sleepy Hollow, and Friday Night Lights.

I've read a couple books, watched a couple movies, and finally found a Korean drama that doesn't center around women and/or a romantic love plot.

Debating whether I should read Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude or Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain, though. Both seem very long, particularly The Magic Mountain (over 700 pages). Anyone have experience with reading either?

Good summer so far, though :) Got an email earlier this week about ordering the white coat and orientation week activities

One Hundred Years of Solitude is a-ma-zing. It's actually denser than it looks and it took me twice as long as I thought it would. But it's definitely worth it! I actually recommend savoring it instead of rushing through it. One of my favorites for sure. Haven't read Magic Mountain though :p

@jeghaber
Other TV series for your binge watching consideration: Blacklist, Hannibal, House of Cards, Homeland, Gotham, Sleepy Hollow, and Friday Night Lights.

House of Cards and Friday Night Lights are on my list! Thanks for the other recommendations!

I was reading One Hundred Years of Solitude in the original Spanish and only got halfway through--I usually do well with dense books but for some reason this one didn't cut it for me (for example, I thoroughly enjoyed Don Quixote). I believe that it was the abysmally slow passage of time and the futility of the plot that got to me, so thanks Marquez. Never read The Magic Mountain.

While we are throwing out TV shows on Netflix, I would like to suggest The Killing (if you would like something dark, about detectives and murder and such) and The Honorable Woman (if you're interested in the Middle East being portrayed with some depth).

I believe that it was the abysmally slow passage of time and the futility of the plot that got to me, so thanks Marquez.
Hah, sounds exactly like my Mom. Says the guys has a knack for really making you feel like you're there, frozen in place, enduring the suffocating heat.
I guess I'll have to check it out for myself

Are you a native speaker as well (since you said you read it in Spanish)?

This week I am finally feeling like I can start transitioning because my work is mellowing out! I can think about a futon, a new computer and all the other little prep things! I just keep going back and forth between wanting to scream with joy and feeling totally terrified! Oh well one step at a time. This sort of waiting is alright and there is so much to do! Vacation in 2 weeks and lots of fun and practical things in the meantime. Where are you all at in the process? How are you all feeling?

This week I am finally feeling like I can start transitioning because my work is mellowing out! I can think about a futon, a new computer and all the other little prep things! I just keep going back and forth between wanting to scream with joy and feeling totally terrified! Oh well one step at a time. This sort of waiting is alright and there is so much to do! Vacation in 2 weeks and lots of fun and practical things in the meantime. Where are you all at in the process? How are you all feeling?

I'm counting down the days until I leave work (literally)! :) There won't be much of a break sense I start school like two days later lol. I'm just excited to shift back into school mode

Hah, sounds exactly like my Mom. Says the guys has a knack for really making you feel like you're there, frozen in place, enduring the suffocating heat.
I guess I'll have to check it out for myself

Are you a native speaker as well (since you said you read it in Spanish)?

I grew up in Central and South America as a child but was born in the USA, so it's a hard question to answer. I'm fluent, but not sure I would go so far as to call myself native. My vocabulary has taken a hit since we moved back and I've tried to remediate it by taking courses through high school and majoring in college, also studying abroad. I think what I need is to just move back, but I would have to convince my gringo husband that's a good idea first. Still working on that. ;)

I have exactly one week left at work... which makes me a little sad as I've been working here for the past 3 years since graduating undergrad, and I love all of the Drs. I work with! Three weeks later I'll move across the country, and two weeks after that I start school! I can't wait! :D