Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else having issues with the dates showing up wrong on VMCAS? For my achievements and GRE section the date I entered isn't what shows up in the preview.. but when I go to edit, the right one is there, so it's not like I entered it wrong by mistake
I've noticed this, as well. It's always shifted by a day or two. I'm personally not worrying about it for experiences, but for "official" stuff like GRE scores and the like, it is rather annoying.

I'd say that I hope VMCAS fixes this (I'm reporting it to them regardless), but I also know better from the rest of the issues that have arisen from this new version of the application... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say that I hope VMCAS fixes this (I'm reporting it to them regardless), but I also know better from the rest of the issues that have arisen from this new version of the application... :rolleyes:

Yes, my OCD went into overdrive when I realized you couldn't change the order of things after inputting them. I spent like 2 hours redoing everything, then called VMCAS the next day to get the response "Don't worry about it, we know."

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, my OCD went into overdrive when I realized you couldn't change the order of things after inputting them. I spent like 2 hours redoing everything, then called VMCAS the next day to get the response "Don't worry about it, we know."

My OCD is irrupting all over this application! All my experiences are entered and in order but then.... I just remembered two (kinda) important things to add... I have a feeling I am going to be redoing it all :bang:

Members don't see this ad :)
My OCD is irrupting all over this application! All my experiences are entered and in order but then.... I just remembered two (kinda) important things to add... I have a feeling I am going to be redoing it all :bang:
:dead:

Reactions: 1 users
A creative mash-up of "irrational", which OCD as a medical condition generally is, and "erupting", which captures the explosive volcanic imagery she was trying to convey. Don't hate on poetry. ;)

A creative mash-up of "irrational", which OCD as a medical condition generally is, and "erupting", which captures the explosive volcanic imagery she was trying to convey. Don't hate on poetry. ;)

No no no, not erupting, not like a volcano :nono:... Irrupting- To increase rapidly in number, especially beyond the normal range (brought to you by the thefreedictionary.com) :)

No no no, not erupting, not like a volcano :nono:... Irrupting- To increase rapidly in number, especially beyond the normal range (brought to you by the thefreedictionary.com) :)
I still find the usage suspect, as OCD being a singular subject cannot increase in number :p
now if you were going for the "to break or burst in" definition...I might let it slide ;)

Ok. Ok. I was wrong. Where is the emoji waving the white flag when you need it?

Regardless.. VMCAS is a big ole pain! I guess I should get off here and start entering (again) my experiences in the correct order (again) hoping I didn't forget anything (yet again) +pity+

I didn't even notice the GRE date was off, but now I see it. Now I see it and I'm not happy.
Darn this whole application process.
Like we don't have enough to worry about without the app having issues.

You know... for about three months when I was 7 years old I didn't want to be a vet anymore. I wanted to bag groceries for a living instead.
Seems like it would have been a lot easier to accomplish.
imjustsaying

Since VMCAS is incredibly slow at responding...wonder if anyone here can help. I have submitted my official transcripts and entered the coursework on VMCAS and have reviewed and finalized my transcript. When I go to program materials and click on the pre-requisites tab, it says the following: You opted not to enter any colleges attended, you do not have to enter any prerequisites. I don't recall every clicking something say I have opted to not enter any colleges I've attended, as I have added two colleges attended and their coursework. I'm wondering why it says this, is it because I have not submitted my application yet? I think this was asked earlier in the thread but still unsure what the deal is. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ok. Ok. I was wrong. Where is the emoji waving the white flag when you need it?

Regardless.. VMCAS is a big ole pain! I guess I should get off here and start entering (again) my experiences in the correct order (again) hoping I didn't forget anything (yet again) +pity+

Don't re-enter them! The dude I talked to said not to worry about it. The system should take care of it later.

If you have an uncontrollable urge to redo it, well, I can't help you there.

Don't re-enter them! The dude I talked to said not to worry about it. The system should take care of it later.

If you have an uncontrollable urge to redo it, well, I can't help you there.

When I called regarding the same thing (a few weeks ago) they instructed me to add them in order if possible and if not schools wouldn't mind so much as they mostly care about adequate descriptions. Ugh.

If they will fix it then awesome! If not, I do not want my stuff being sent off all out of order and a mess :) If only the VMCAS could be consistent in their answers!

When I called regarding the same thing (a few weeks ago) they instructed me to add them in order if possible and if not schools wouldn't mind so much as they mostly care about adequate descriptions. Ugh.

If they will fix it then awesome! If not, I do not want my stuff being sent off all out of order and a mess :) If only the VMCAS could be consistent in their answers!

Agreed. If most of your stuff is in order, one or two tacked on at the end is fine, I would think. I remembered an achievement after adding all the rest in, so that one's out of order.

For my experiences, since I'm continuing research and shadowing hours throughout the summer, those will be out of order and submitted on September 14.

I think I'll be ok with 3 entries out of order. I love beta testing software I didn't sign up to test ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I am so glad I am not applying this cycle. I had absolutely no problems last cycle with VMCAS hehe

I've had several experiences where I just shadowed vets at various hospitals - mere observation, taking notes and asking questions. Does anyone know how I would list this in the "Experiences" section? What would my "position" be called? And is there anything else I could write in the description section other than shadowing vets?

I've had several experiences where I just shadowed vets at various hospitals - mere observation, taking notes and asking questions. Does anyone know how I would list this in the "Experiences" section? What would my "position" be called? And is there anything else I could write in the description section other than shadowing vets?

I just wrote my position as shadow.

It seems to me that you would just write what you did. If all you did was observe and ask questions then write that, but take the time to phrase it in a way that indicates the experience was valuable/useful. That would be my take on it.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say about ti.

I would explain procedures you observed and such

I would explain procedures you observed and such

So in my case, I have two surgeries that I observed at separate hospitals. The only thing I ever did at those hospitals because they're just too darn far for additional shadowing.

To what degree should I cover what the procedures were? Should I just mentioned that they were c-section/spays and then focus on what I did (ie first observe and then help wake up puppies) or should I make mention of the complications that arose?

So in my case, I have two surgeries that I observed at separate hospitals. The only thing I ever did at those hospitals because they're just too darn far for additional shadowing.

To what degree should I cover what the procedures were? Should I just mentioned that they were c-section/spays and then focus on what I did (ie first observe and then help wake up puppies) or should I make mention of the complications that arose?

I would think you may not have enough space for complications and I wouldn't say it was necessary. However, if you have the room then I don't see why not. I personally just listed out some of the procedures I saw and if they think it's interesting enough to bring up in a potential interview, then I can elaborate then. If you can fit it in without taking away from anything else you want to say I don't think it would hurt though.

I would think you may not have enough space for complications and I wouldn't say it was necessary. However, if you have the room then I don't see why not. I personally just listed out some of the procedures I saw and if they think it's interesting enough to bring up in a potential interview, then I can elaborate then. If you can fit it in without taking away from anything else you want to say I don't think it would hurt though.

Oh, I definitely have the space because it's just one procedure in each of these two slots and since these vets were not familiar with me they didn't have me do much other than observe. I'm just not sure that the complications--cool as they were--are relevant to that section of the application so that's why I was asking.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Also, does anyone know how the experience section descriptions should be formatted? Do they have to be in complete sentences or can something like "Medicated, restrained, took x-rays, etc." be ok? I'm trying to save character space!

Can no one else login? All of a sudden VMCAS is saying my password is incorrect. I just reset it on the password reset page that was coded horribly by the webmaster (it shows strange code on it), and even after successfully changing my password, I still can't login.

This site is getting on my nerves.

Can no one else login? All of a sudden VMCAS is saying my password is incorrect. I just reset it on the password reset page that was coded horribly by the webmaster (it shows strange code on it), and even after successfully changing my password, I still can't login.

I managed to log in.

Hope the issue sorts itself out. :(

I had the same exact thing happen. One minute, my password (which I had written down in my notebook when I first made it up) worked. Then I timed out, logged back in, and it didn't work. I also had to reset and also had the code show up on the buttons and header on the reset page. It did work for me after I changed my password, so you may have to try emailing them if you're still having trouble.

The application really is terrible.

Oh, I definitely have the space because it's just one procedure in each of these two slots and since these vets were not familiar with me they didn't have me do much other than observe. I'm just not sure that the complications--cool as they were--are relevant to that section of the application so that's why I was asking.
I personally wouldn't . The whole point of the "job description" is that. Not to use every character available to babble on because you have nothing relevant to write.

This is the response I recieved from VMCAS when asking about the ordering question. In addition, I had an advising appointment with MSU and they said it was no big deal if it comes in out of order.

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting VMCAS. You may list most recent first, though
currently the experiences are being re-ordered in the system after they are
entered. It is alright if these experiences are not listed in chronological
order.

Boo, the evaluator I was worried I'd end up having to constantly badger the last few weeks of this cycle to turn in her LOR went to turn it in on her own (she is amazing and I look up to her, but is a down to the minute person at times), but she couldn't because her account showed up as having no requests. She has logged in before to accept my request, so it was working before.

VCMAS said to check she is using the same email for her account that I have on my app (which I think she is, but if she isn't, how come she could accept the request before?) and to try using Firefox. Hopefully one of those work, cause there next suggestion was having her call them, which is not going to happen.

Good news is, just because I'm paranoid I asked about the experiences reordering since I was already on the line, and they again confirmed. Woot!

Just got my official scores on the GRE. 158 verbal and 152 quant with a 3.5 analytical. I'm applying to Auburn but couldn't find statistics on last years admitted class. Do you all think these GRE scores are acceptable?

Just got my official scores on the GRE. 158 verbal and 152 quant with a 3.5 analytical. I'm applying to Auburn but couldn't find statistics on last years admitted class. Do you all think these GRE scores are acceptable?

I have been perusing the successful applicants thread from last year to get a feel for what scores accepted people have had. If you search for "successful applicants" in the search bar it should pop up. Retaking the GRE or not is always a multifaceted decision-- is the cost worth it, how strong are other parts of your app, where are you applying and how much weight do they put on it, etc-- but that thread has been helpful for me when thinking about some of those things. :)

I have a dilemma:

I took O-chem in fall 2012, got an F. Retook at a school at home over the summer and the professor told me through e-mail (which I still have and printed out) that I received a 82.1%, which was a B on his grading scale. Because I'm an idiot and shouldn't trust the bureaucracy that is a college internal system, I didn't check my transcripts. This last February, I saw that it is listed as a C. For the past several months, I have been trying to get it changed to a B. Today I finally received an e-mail saying the dean denied my grade change request. Honestly, I'm not going to let that stand and I am going to get this grade fixed since I earned a freaking B.

With that being said, do you guys think it would be a good idea to include in my explanation statement that the grade is really a B and that I am trying to get it fixed? I have the proof and I have no idea why the dean denied my grade change request. Tomorrow I will learn why and he will learn how determined I am. I'm super irritated since I applied twice thinking this was a B.

I have a dilemma:

I took O-chem in fall 2012, got an F. Retook at a school at home over the summer and the professor told me through e-mail (which I still have and printed out) that I received a 82.1%, which was a B on his grading scale. Because I'm an idiot and shouldn't trust the bureaucracy that is a college internal system, I didn't check my transcripts. This last February, I saw that it is listed as a C. For the past several months, I have been trying to get it changed to a B. Today I finally received an e-mail saying the dean denied my grade change request. Honestly, I'm not going to let that stand and I am going to get this grade fixed since I earned a freaking B.

With that being said, do you guys think it would be a good idea to include in my explanation statement that the grade is really a B and that I am trying to get it fixed? I have the proof and I have no idea why the dean denied my grade change request. Tomorrow I will learn why and he will learn how determined I am. I'm super irritated since I applied twice thinking this was a B.

I wouldn't write in the explanation what the grade should have been, but I would explain that you are petitioning for a grade change in that class and that your academic records, specifically your pre-requisite coursework, may be affected if the petition goes in your favor. If anything it gives the school a heads up that you might need to submit a new transcript in the near future and that the school might have to manually change their calculations from whatever VMCAS sends.

Does anyone know how disability accommodations work in vet school? If we *might* need special accommodations for a disability, are we obligated to discuss the disability in the PS, or anywhere else on the application?

I was born with hearing loss, and I can only hear out of my right ear. I've needed accommodations before (like having the instructor wear a microphone), but I've managed to get by in undergrad without using the disabilities office at all. I'm concerned that if I don't disclose it, and I need accommodations later, that it will be an issue. Anyone have experience with hearing loss (or any other disability) in vet school?

According to the one ranking site I follow that gives GRE, GPA, etc., your scores exceed their average to get in already. Some schools don't care about the GRE and it's a formality, where as in some schools weigh 25+% of your potential acceptance on it. My friend got into Ohio State with GRE scores lower than yours.

I wouldn't write in the explanation what the grade should have been, but I would explain that you are petitioning for a grade change in that class and that your academic records, specifically your pre-requisite coursework, may be affected if the petition goes in your favor. If anything it gives the school a heads up that you might need to submit a new transcript in the near future and that the school might have to manually change their calculations from whatever VMCAS sends.

Thanks for the advice. It looks like that's what I will have to do. I tried to go in to talk to the professor today, but his mother has been sick for a while and he doesn't come and go on a regular schedule. So I'm going to have to settle for e-mail communication since I move Sunday. Hopefully this is just a big understanding since I have e-mails from the professor stating very specifically that I received a B.

Do you know if your school has a deadline for grade changes? My undergrad had a three term rule (excluding summers) for grade change requests.

Does anyone know how disability accommodations work in vet school? If we *might* need special accommodations for a disability, are we obligated to discuss the disability in the PS, or anywhere else on the application?

I was born with hearing loss, and I can only hear out of my right ear. I've needed accommodations before (like having the instructor wear a microphone), but I've managed to get by in undergrad without using the disabilities office at all. I'm concerned that if I don't disclose it, and I need accommodations later, that it will be an issue. Anyone have experience with hearing loss (or any other disability) in vet school?

Never experienced anything that would require accommodations, but on my acceptance letter to one school they specified that if you have a disability or need accommodations that you need to mail in a letter with specifications and appropriate documentation in with your admissions deposit. It might be one of those things that varies from school to school, though. Anyone else want to chime in on this?

Never experienced anything that would require accommodations, but on my acceptance letter to one school they specified that if you have a disability or need accommodations that you need to mail in a letter with specifications and appropriate documentation in with your admissions deposit. It might be one of those things that varies from school to school, though. Anyone else want to chime in on this?
School disability resource offices usually facilitate that. Students mail in documentation of disability and the disability center will work with the student to determine if/what accomodations are needed and notify instructors. My understanding is that these policies are in place because of national laws. As long as you're performing to the school's technical standards with acommodation it's your choice to disclose the nature of your disability.

While it's worth checking the school's technical standards to see that your hearing loss won't be a problem for your future career, it is NOT necessary to discuss your hearing loss in a personal statement. That's not really something the admissions committee needs to know when considering your qualifications. Write whatever you feel best reflects you as an applicant, but don't feel as if you're obligated to discuss your hearing difficulty in the PS.

Do you know if your school has a deadline for grade changes? My undergrad had a three term rule (excluding summers) for grade change requests.

Not that I can find for my situation. All the appeals processes are for within 6 weeks of the end of the term and I have been told by the professor, the academic advisor, and her replacement (because the original advisor went on maternity leave) that there is a completely separate process for later than 6 weeks that is brand new. All the processes described on the school's website state, "If you feel the grade does not reflect the quality of your work..." That isn't the problem. The grade was inputted incorrectly by the school.

Not that I can find for my situation. All the appeals processes are for within 6 weeks of the end of the term and I have been told by the professor, the academic advisor, and her replacement (because the original advisor went on maternity leave) that there is a completely separate process for later than 6 weeks that is brand new. All the processes described on the school's website state, "If you feel the grade does not reflect the quality of your work..." That isn't the problem. The grade was inputted incorrectly by the school.

Hopefully you can get it sorted then! I was going to say if you can't because of deadlines, and that professor knows you well enough for an LOR, perhaps having them write you one and including that you did better in the class than is reflected on your transcripts may be an option. Hopefully it won't come to that though and you are able to get the grade changed :)

Hopefully you can get it sorted then! I was going to say if you can't because of deadlines, and that professor knows you well enough for an LOR, perhaps having them write you one and including that you did better in the class than is reflected on your transcripts may be an option. Hopefully it won't come to that though and you are able to get the grade changed :)

Just got an e-mail back from the dean of the chemistry department saying that he never even saw my appeal. So the registrar grade change team denied my request by saying the dean denied it, without sending it to the dean. He told me who was standing in for him the next couple of weeks because his mom is dying, so I included them in the e-mail reply. One of the interim deans is the professor I took biochem I and II with. So hopefully he'll see this and be like, "Well, this girl isn't crazy; something is fishy here," and this ball will really get rolling for reals this time.

Stick a brief bullet point about it in your Explanation Statement portion if you feel comfortable doing that. I'm in a wheelchair from a spinal cord injury, so maybe we can be disabled pals if we get accepted and attend the same university. We can go on runs together or something.