Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Personal Statement question to all my fellow applicants.... How important/ not important is it to clarify in your personal statement your clinical interest... i.e. small animal vs. large animals..... :help:
It's important to answer the prompt and your future goals are part of that, so definitely include it

Members don't see this ad.

Personal Statement question to all my fellow applicants.... How important/ not important is it to clarify in your personal statement your clinical interest... i.e. small animal vs. large animals..... :help:
I think stating your interests goes hand in hand with explaining how you became interested in the field, your experiences, and where you are today. I'd be careful to avoid making it seem like those are your only interests/plans. Don't box yourself in!

Reactions: 1 user

Answer it definitively. I'm sure it won't break you to give a wishy-washy "I'm interested in everything" bit, but I think definitavely stating your career goals (e.g. After growing up on my family's dairy farm, working closely with large animal veterinarians, and researching bovine disease pathways, I want to be a large animal veterinary pathologist) will come off strong in your application. This is my personal opinion and you should do what makes you feel comfortable. As long as you have a legitimate interest in that career path, you should use it. Again, you don't necessarily have to commit to that goal in vet school, and the application reviewers don't expect you to. People find new interests with exposure and experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can the VMCAS application be submitted prior to the professional transcript entry being completed? Freaking out over here because everything is done except that and I can't submit and pay for my programs.:eek:

Can the VMCAS application be submitted prior to the professional transcript entry being completed? Freaking out over here because everything is done except that and I can't submit and pay for my programs.:eek:
EDIT: I was incorrect, you need to submit as soon as possible (see posts below)

Last edited:

I asked them the same thing and they said you had to submit and pay for your applications before they could begin the professional transcript service.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. So now my academic history is saying I have 3/4 parts done. But the only thing its asking for is transcript review. I can't review them because the professional entry isn't done. So it isn't letting me submit to pay for the programs. Am I missing something here???

In that link wildzoo posted it looks like there should be an option to select you're using the professional entry, which puts your needing to select your prerequisites on hold and allows you to submit. Then when your transcripts are entered, you get a notification and go back in to select your prerequisites. I'd read over those links she posted, and then give VCMAS a call if you're still having issues.

ok I got it! I read of the links and was still confused so I called the VMCAS and found out I needed to review and finalize my transcripts. I was confused about that because I was doing the professional entry and didnt realize I had finalize the one university I still have a future course with. So everything is taken care of app has been submitted:D!! Wish I would have known that's all I needed a week ago! I thought I had to wait for the professional entry transcript to come back then submit. :(:oops::eek:

Hi guys, I'm confused with this whole professional entry transcript option. I'm still waiting on my transcript to be entered. Now I'm worried I won't meet the Sept 15th deadline. Does the application need to be verified by the 15th??

Hi guys, I'm confused with this whole professional entry transcript option. I'm still waiting on my transcript to be entered. Now I'm worried I won't meet the Sept 15th deadline. Does the application need to be verified by the 15th??
Did you already submit your application? I was confused, until I called VMCAS. You have to submit your completed application and pay for your programs. Once you do this then they will enter your coursework through the professional entry. Once they enter it will go back to you to verify all the entries are correct. It takes about 7-10 days to enter the coursework. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)

I believe emlady09 was just talking about the professional entry transcript service. That might help you out as far as your confusion there.

But I can tell you that no, the application does not need to be verified by the 15th. It just needs to be submitted by the 15th. The reason they recommend submitting earlier is because if there are issues with verification you won't be able to fix them if the deadline has already passed.

Did you already submit your application? I was confused, until I called VMCAS. You have to submit your completed application and pay for your programs. Once you do this then they will enter your coursework through the professional entry. Once they enter it will go back to you to verify all the entries are correct. It takes about 7-10 days to enter the coursework. Hope that helps!
yes I already completed my application and submitted it on the 28th of August. I had to wait for eLORs to be completed. I just hope I meet the deadline of the 15th now :/

I believe emlady09 was just talking about the professional entry transcript service. That might help you out as far as your confusion there.

But I can tell you that no, the application does not need to be verified by the 15th. It just needs to be submitted by the 15th. The reason they recommend submitting earlier is because if there are issues with verification you won't be able to fix them if the deadline has already passed.
oh ok that makes sense. thanks!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to check whether or not VMCAS actually received the official transcripts?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to check whether or not VMCAS actually received the official transcripts?

You'll get an email.

If you've submitted you'll also be able to see the status change (under program status) from "awaiting materials" to "verifying".

If you haven't submitted yet, I've heard that you will still be able to see that they've received the transcript under the programs status tab, but I can't confirm this.

Yep, I sent my transcripts in June and I got an email when both my transcripts were received, and in my notifications area there was a message about them as well.

Now I'm worried. I had both of my schools send out transcripts a few weeks ago. No emails or notifications about VMCAS receiving them :(.

Now I'm worried. I had both of my schools send out transcripts a few weeks ago. No emails or notifications about VMCAS receiving them :(.

Maybe you should call your school and find out what date they got mailed?
Maybe also call VMCAS too?

If it's been a few weeks you might need to resend.
There could have been a problem matching it to your application or something.

Hi, anyone who has not submitted their VMCAS... WHERE IS THE BOX FOR EXPLANATION STATEMENT? Mine is totally gone. Under essays, there is only a box for "personal essay."

Hi, anyone who has not submitted their VMCAS... WHERE IS THE BOX FOR EXPLANATION STATEMENT? Mine is totally gone. Under essays, there is only a box for "personal essay."

Woah, mine vanished as well... What in the world?

and with that I'm submitted and still shaking....

They need to have a user survey available so you guys can yell at them for all the **** they've done this cycle. What in the world were they thinking? Why bother moving it two weeks before the app closes? Smh.

Reactions: 4 users
Emailing questions to VMCAS is entirely useless. They don't even attempt to answer your question and just copy and paste non-relevant text from the website. UGHHHH. Looks like I will call them tomorrow. Fingers crossed they can actually look into my transcript issue and answer my question.

Emailing questions to VMCAS is entirely useless. They don't even attempt to answer your question and just copy and paste non-relevant text from the website. UGHHHH. Looks like I will call them tomorrow. Fingers crossed they can actually look into my transcript issue and answer my question.

Yeah, I realized that when I tried emailing them.
Totally freaking useless. I don't know why they have you explain your issue considering they clearly don't even read it.

Yeah, I realized that when I tried emailing them.
Totally freaking useless. I don't know why they have you explain your issue considering they clearly don't even read it.
I hope customer service speaks english :rofl:

to all my fellow military veterans. Mississippi state has a law that waives out of state tuition if accepted into the program. Tuition per semester is about 12k. Not a bad deal for serving your country. Good luck!!!

They need to have a user survey available so you guys can yell at them for all the **** they've done this cycle. What in the world were they thinking? Why bother moving it two weeks before the app closes? Smh.

Every once in a while, when I have heard of the problems from this cycle I have thought, "hmm, maybe I should create an account just to see how crappy the application is". Then I think, "nah, I get the idea."

Seriously someone needs to compete with them because this is absurd. And there really isn't any excuse for having all of these problems, it isn't like this is the first year they have ever attempted an online application format..

I found it. They moved it to Personal Info in the "other" section.
I'm in my genetics lab snickering at this. What sense does it make to move it to Personal Info at all? Why would they move it two weeks before deadline? It only serves to confuse applicants even more.

Tell me about it. Honestly, I had heard many VMCAS horror stories from previous cycles, but this one seems to have been particularly awful. They really ought to have just kept 3.0 in beta until these tweaks were adequately worked out. At least the darn thing worked consistently and stuff didn't disappear or get moved for seemingly no reason. That's not even mentioning all of the outages and small but bizarre errors (dates for awards and honors moving back one day, for example). I'm also pretty peeved about them lowering the already relatively minuscule character limit for the personal statement even more, but that's admittedly personal.

On the topic of technical difficulties... If any of your programs require entering pre-reqs make sure you doublecheck what was entered! I was reading my application through one last time before submitting and realized everything had been moved up to the class ahead of it... I have no idea how it happened, just glad I caught it!

I chuckled a little when I saw someone post on the APVMA page about how she called the VMCAS hotline, was given horrendously incorrect information and treated like ****, and called again and got a different person/answer. Sounds about right for them.

I'll compete with them. I'd probably do it for cheaper out of my own pity for everyone applying haha
Every once in a while, when I have heard of the problems from this cycle I have thought, "hmm, maybe I should create an account just to see how crappy the application is". Then I think, "nah, I get the idea."

Seriously someone needs to compete with them because this is absurd. And there really isn't any excuse for having all of these problems, it isn't like this is the first year they have ever attempted an online application format..
It also seems like they're having a lot of issues with the "Professional Transcript Entry." Taking forever, not communicating with the applicant, etc.

It also seems like they're having a lot of issues with the "Professional Transcript Entry." Taking forever, not communicating with the applicant, etc.
Honestly that service sounds like a scam for more money to me. It takes them 10 days to do what you could have done yourself in a few hours (if that), you have to pay extra (what is it, $50?), it doesn't make verification any faster, and you risk your application being late because they don't do it until all of your materials are in including at least 3 eLORs - it says on the help page that they aren't responsible for lateness if you don't have everything in early enough for the transcript entry to be done before the deadline.

Honestly that service sounds like a scam for more money to me. It takes them 10 days to do what you could have done yourself in a few hours (if that), you have to pay extra (what is it, $50?), it doesn't make verification any faster, and you risk your application being late because they don't do it until all of your materials are in including at least 3 eLORs - it says on the help page that they aren't responsible for lateness if you don't have everything in early enough for the transcript entry to be done before the deadline.
No kidding. Everyone on the APVMA page is asking if it's worth it. I keep saying "Is spending around $100 in exchange for saving yourself 2-3 hours worth it to you? It's $50 for x amount of transcripts, $100 for so many more, and I think it caps at $150. Entering coursework really is quite simple, but VMCAS has put pressure on applicants to make them feel like it's some impossible task. No one cares about course entry. How about treating GRE scores like you do transcripts and actually saving us money?

That's complete BS that they won't do it past the deadline. They know damn well they drown in applications every single year. I think you have to pre-pay for the service, too.

:thumbup: Indeed. Just didn't seem like it'd be worth the money at all. This makes me so, so glad that I entered my own coursework and submitted when I did (even if I kinda regret it a bit because I'd like to have made some very minor changes to my personal statement and experience descriptions). I downloaded the PDFs for my programs and, thankfully, everything seems to be in order. So with everything that has been going on with VMCAS lately, seeing that was quite the relief

I guess I could see the professional entry maybe being useful if you have an exceptionally complicated academic history and/or a lot of different transcripts to sort through, but even then... to request it at the risk of the application being deemed late because all of the other materials requisite for verification came in too close to the deadline and having to deal with the extra hurdles, as well as their mediocre customer service, just does not seem worth the exorbitant extra fee. :yeahright:

:thumbup: Indeed. Just didn't seem like it'd be worth the money at all. This makes me so, so glad that I entered my own coursework and submitted when I did (even if I kinda regret it a bit because I'd like to have made some very minor changes to my personal statement and experience descriptions). I downloaded the PDFs for my programs and thankfully, everything seems to be in order.

I guess I could see the professional entry maybe being useful if you have a lot of different transcripts to go through, but even then... to request it at the risk of the application being deemed late because all of the other materials requisite for verification came in too close to the deadline and having to deal with the extra hurdles, as well as their mediocre customer service, just does not seem worth the exorbitant extra fee. :yeahright:
It really, really looks like a trap to me almost. I don't want to make VMCAS sound that shady, but they are so clear that even if they can't get the service you purchased done in time, it's your fault they are poorly staffed and they will keep your money. And do who knows what with it. They never had all of these payment policies, payment dispute policies, etc. spelled out when I applied.

It really, really looks like a trap to me almost. I don't want to make VMCAS sound that shady, but they are so clear that even if they can't get the service you purchased done in time, it's your fault they are poorly staffed and they will keep your money. And do who knows what with it. They never had all of these payment policies, payment dispute policies, etc. spelled out when I applied.
Exactly. This is my first cycle, but from digging around some older threads, it seems like this year has had more random errors, complaints, and general hang-ups than any one prior. I understand that VMCAS is trying to adopt this new 3.0 platform, but I think it should have become very clear halfway through the summer that it was broken and needed further testing.

I saw that APVMA post - it is crazy that a customer service representative actually told an applicant to cancel their application entirely because of something that was 100% out of their control like that. :rolleyes:

Actually, I agree with you on the whole Professional Transcript Entry thing in general. For most people, it just isn't worth it, I'd imagine. The overwhelming majority of applicants will have 1-3 transcripts to enter; coursework entry in that situation should take a couple of hours at the most. I know a lot of people opted for the Professional Entry, but with all of the extra hurdles to jump through with submission and verification, I personally just don't understand how it's worth paying an extra $50+.

I'm very happy I didn't go for it, because entering coursework on my own was relatively quick, painless, and now it looks like I'm avoiding a whole other mess of issues that have cropped up within the past couple of weeks.

I wonder if VMCAS will offer this service for future cycles? Sure, it may have netted them more cash from applicants, but it seems to have caused far more harm than good (not to mention loads of stress on both their staff AND applicants).

Exactly. This is my first cycle, but from digging around some older threads, it seems like this year has had more random errors, complaints, and general hang-ups than any one prior. I understand that VMCAS is trying to adopt this new 3.0 platform, but I think it should have become very clear halfway through the summer that it was broken and needed further testing.

I saw that APVMA post - it is crazy that a customer service representative actually told an applicant to cancel their application entirely because of something that was 100% out of their control like that. :rolleyes:

Actually, I agree with you on the whole Professional Transcript Entry thing in general. For most people, it just isn't worth it, I'd imagine. The overwhelming majority of applicants will have 1-3 transcripts to enter; coursework entry in that situation should take a couple of hours at the most. I know a lot of people opted for the Professional Entry, but with all of the extra hurdles to jump through with submission and verification, I personally just don't understand how it's worth paying an extra $50+.

I'm very happy I didn't go for it, because entering coursework on my own was relatively quick, painless, and now it looks like I'm avoiding a whole other mess of issues that have cropped up within the past couple of weeks.

I wonder if VMCAS will offer this service for future cycles? Sure, it may have netted them more cash from applicants, but it seems to have caused far more harm than good (not to mention loads of stress on both their staff AND applicants).
It doesn't harm VMCAS, though. Anything that goes wrong is the applicants fault. ;)

What really irked me was the whole "Sorry, we will no longer be rolling over information from year to year." That was something we had all been asking for. Not too long after that was announced, the transcript entry service was announced. I know VMCAS had asked students if they'd utilize it, and a lot of people said yes. I don't think they considered costs or the problems that could go along with it, though.

Back in the day (a whopping 2 years ago), VMCAS was telling everyone different answers when it came to listing classroom experience. Now they're straight up changing the format of the application less than two weeks before it's due. Next year, they'll just close it early without warning haha

There were huge discrepancies between the VMCAS FAQ and the application portal: old dates, irrelevant and outdated protocols, and really important pieces of information buried within the pages.

For example, I pretty much immediately payed for the coursework entry service when I opened the VMCAS. There was no popup or any text whatsoever letting me know that once I pay for the service, I'd be unable to enter any future coursework. The sentence that did reference this was in the VMCAS FAQ, sandwiched between some other paragraph that mentioned October 2o14. Maybe they changed it, but I think there should be a little warning message before you pay the fee.

I had to fight on the phone to have them reopen my entry abilities after I submitted everything.

I don't think they considered costs or the problems that could go along with it, though
This. Even now it seems like they definitely weren't clear about things in the in-application instructions since people who used it aren't sure of the process. Unfortunately most people aren't going to go through and read the help and information pages that go into more detail on stuff like that.

This. Even now it seems like they definitely weren't clear about things in the in-application instructions since people who used it aren't sure of the process. Unfortunately most people aren't going to go through and read the help and information pages that go into more detail on stuff like that.
You don't think people are reading the instructions?!

;)

99% of VMCAS-related questions I answer involve me reading the instructions for 5 seconds.

There were huge discrepancies between the VMCAS FAQ and the application portal: old dates, irrelevant and outdated protocols, and really important pieces of information buried within the pages.

For example, I pretty much immediately payed for the coursework entry service when I opened the VMCAS. There was no popup or any text whatsoever letting me know that once I pay for the service, I'd be unable to enter any future coursework. The sentence that did reference this was in the VMCAS FAQ, sandwiched between some other paragraph that mentioned October 2o14. Maybe they changed it, but I think there should be a little warning message before you pay the fee.

I had to fight on the phone to have them reopen my entry abilities after I submitted everything.
You're one lucky duck that they reopened it for you, because a lot of people had the same issue and are screwed now.

I am really, really happy that you managed to get that worked out. From what it sounds like, many applicants are basically being told that they're screwed at this point.

And, yeah, you'd think that with how much everything costs (VMCAS - $195 + $100/additional school + $50+ for the Professional Transcript Entry), that they would have made the potential for issues more clear when opting for the service.

I do agree that a lot of the questions asked by many applicants this cycle were pretty easy to find the answers to (to say nothing of people asking the same ten basic questions on the terrible APVMA Facebook page). But there is still really no excuse for how disorganized much of the pertinent information is. The fact that you had to dig deep into a PDF from 2014 to find an answer to your question that wasn't addressed in the "current" FAQ/database doesn't reflect well on VMCAS.

I am really, really happy that you managed to get that worked out. From what it sounds like, many applicants are basically being told that they're screwed at this point.

And, yeah, you'd think that with how much everything costs (VMCAS - $195 + $100/additional school + $50+ for the Professional Transcript Entry), that they would have made the potential for issues more clear when opting for the service.

I do agree that a lot of the questions asked by many applicants this cycle were pretty easy to find the answers to (to say nothing of people asking the same ten basic questions on the terrible APVMA Facebook page). But there is still really no excuse for how disorganized much of the pertinent information is. The fact that you had to dig deep into a PDF from 2014 to find an answer to your question that wasn't addressed in the "current" FAQ/database doesn't reflect well on VMCAS.
The thing is that I'm pretty sure VMCAS knows they suck. The schools think they suck. So what now? Do you really need more than one application service for the sake of competition? Maybe, but that might make things worse before it gets better. I don't think the schools want to do all of this application processing themselves, either.

Guys I need help...

I accidentally typed that I worked somewhere for 62 weeks when it was actually only 38 making my hours way off. I have no idea where that typo came from or why it's occurring to me in the middle of the night, but does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do?

It clearly says my start date in January of this year, so 62 would obviously be impossible, but what can I do? Email schools embarrassingly and let them know about the typo, or hope they figure it out?

I looked through the downloadable report that's available on the program page (little blue arrow in top corner) and found that the explanation statement is listed in there twice. Once in the new place under personal information, as well as in the original position of following the personal statement. So it must have been a very quick and sloppy fix when they recently moved it.

Guys I need help...

I accidentally typed that I worked somewhere for 62 weeks when it was actually only 38 making my hours way off. I have no idea where that typo came from or why it's occurring to me in the middle of the night, but does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do?

It clearly says my start date in January of this year, so 62 would obviously be impossible, but what can I do? Email schools embarrassingly and let them know about the typo, or hope they figure it out?
If the application was only off by a few hours, I'd just let it slide, but that is a pretty big difference...

Personally, I would notify the schools and let them know. I know it's kinda embarrassing to admit you made a mistake, but hey, no one's perfect! I'm more than willing to bet that they would understand a typo. To be honest, I'd rather let the schools know it was an error ahead of time myself than have them figure out that it doesn't make sense as they're reviewing your application, wonder what happened, and even perhaps get suspicious.

Don't feel bad. I've emailed a bunch of schools this cycle with admittedly stupid questions/concerns. No worries. ;)

I looked through the downloadable report that's available on the program page (little blue arrow in top corner) and found that the explanation statement is listed in there twice. Once in the new place under personal information, as well as in the original position of following the personal statement. So it must have been a very quick and sloppy fix when they recently moved it.
Mine is like this, too, upon second inspection. I know it's not a make-or-break deal, but it is still sloppy. :rolleyes: