Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applying this cycle!! Very excited but also nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't keep good track of my vet hours in the past (oops) and now I've been having to guesstimate how many hours each experience is. How accurate do I have to be do you think? Is a rough estimation okay, or will "the powers that be" (whoever reads my application, I dunno) think I'm lying because I can't be exact?

I didn't keep good track of my vet hours in the past (oops) and now I've been having to guesstimate how many hours each experience is. How accurate do I have to be do you think? Is a rough estimation okay, or will "the powers that be" (whoever reads my application, I dunno) think I'm lying because I can't be exact?

A rough estimate is fine, just be reasonable. If you worked somewhere for 6 months stating you got 7,000 hours is going to raise some eyebrows. If you state you got a few hundred hours over 6 months, you will be fine.

Nobody is going to throw your application in the trash because you can't say that you worked for 432 hours 43 minutes and 10 seconds.. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A rough estimate is fine, just be reasonable. If you worked somewhere for 6 months stating you got 7,000 hours is going to raise some eyebrows. If you state you got a few hundred hours over 6 months, you will be fine.

Nobody is going to throw your application in the trash because you can't say that you worked for 432 hours 43 minutes and 10 seconds.. ;)

Okay, thank you!! That's what I figured :cat:

Does anyone have an idea on the need for Avian Veterinarians in the field? A current vet student said there was a need for them and I am going to start shadowing one starting tomorrow and this vet is literally the only one in the area for strictly birds. Would this fall under "exotics" hours or "small animal"? It may be a dumb question but I've heard both so I just wanted to get a solid verification on the matter.

Does anyone have an idea on the need for Avian Veterinarians in the field? A current vet student said there was a need for them and I am going to start shadowing one starting tomorrow and this vet is literally the only one in the area for strictly birds. Would this fall under "exotics" hours or "small animal"? It may be a dumb question but I've heard both so I just wanted to get a solid verification on the matter.
It will go under exotics. I will say, in my area there does seem to be a need, but I'm unclear if it's a national need.

I saw that, too, and as an applicant with a lower-than-average cumulative GPA but much higher science/pre-req and last 45, it seemed tempting, but that price tag... ouch.

I think that I've actually decided to only apply to my IS, which is Mizzou. As much as I'd like to have another option on the (admittedly small) chance I get into somewhere OOS, just thinking about the jump in tuition makes my stomach curdle. As someone starting out with ~$40,000 in debt before vet school, I just don't think I can justify tacking on another $200,000+. I would have panic attacks everyday. Heck, even the prospect of $100,000 scares the bajeebus out of me. If I were fortunate enough to have gotten through my undergrad debt-free, then maybe I'd be less hesitant. Meh. It is what it is.

So I guess for me, it's going to be either IS or not at all.

Wisconsin has a fairly low OOS tuition rate, if you're looking for one more.

I'm interested in exotics/avian med, too! I mean, I have a lot of interests right now, because how would I know what I want to do now lol

Hey guys! Good luck, I'm so excited for you all!!!! Anyhow, I just wanted to say if anyone has specific questions about applying to east coast schools, feel free to shoot me a question. Also, this is a bit premature, but if you need any advice on choosing between these awesome schools feel free to PM me. A few people made posts like this last year and actually helped me a lot with my decision, so just figured I'd pass it on. (I ended up having to pick between cornell, tufts, ohio, and RVC just FYI). Anyhow, try not to stress too much, and good luck!!!!!

With regards to birds of prey, there is definitely a need for them in the current state I am in, but also there isn't really the money there to pay for them. My sisters vet is the main one for a good 2 hour radius (which incorporates a major city as well), but he ends up doing most of his birds there completely free of charge as the wildlife people that drop them off don't have the money to pay him for his help. Not sure with regards to pet birds, or how the situation differs across different states

Question about the animal experience section on the application. Does bunny-sitting a friend's angora rabbit for upwards of 6 months count as animal experience? The bunny had pneumonia when I got her, so I also had to give her eye-drops and syringe feed her antibiotics. What about cat-sitting a professor's cat? And walking an elderly couple's dog once a week? Also, can I list just general pet ownership as animal experience? All of these things seem so trivial to me, it's hard to imagine they could count for anything.

Question about the animal experience section on the application. Does bunny-sitting a friend's angora rabbit for upwards of 6 months count as animal experience? The bunny had pneumonia when I got her, so I also had to give her eye-drops and syringe feed her antibiotics. What about cat-sitting a professor's cat? And walking an elderly couple's dog once a week? Also, can I list just general pet ownership as animal experience? All of these things seem so trivial to me, it's hard to imagine they could count for anything.
You're going to get various answers on this one but yes that will all count as animal experience. I went to a pre-admissions meeting with the staff at UMN and they encouraged us to list pet ownership under animal experience (you will hear people here scoffing at that). But seriously, I listed mine and I think everyone should. It is animal experience. Besides, if schools don't want to look at it or count it they certainly don't have to. But they can't include it if you don't give it to them to start with. Just my 2 cents.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just went to an application clinic offered by my in-state and the general opinion from the folks on the board was general pet ownership can go on the app, but don't list hours. If you were responsible for something more than just general ownership, list it. So things like pet-sitting, agility, cani-cross, or 4-H would all be listed as valid hourly animal experience. Obviously this is going to vary by program, but focus on things where you can speak to the experience and how it makes you better prepared to become a vet.

I just went to an application clinic offered by my in-state and the general opinion from the folks on the board was general pet ownership can go on the app, but don't list hours. If you were responsible for something more than just general ownership, list it. So things like pet-sitting, agility, cani-cross, or 4-H would all be listed as valid hourly animal experience. Obviously this is going to vary by program, but focus on things where you can speak to the experience and how it makes you better prepared to become a vet.
So dog showing and Schutzhund can be documented then???

You're not going to have much space to explain each one, so I would lump all the pet sitting experiences into "pet sitting" and then pet ownership. It might get cumbersome to list each job individually.

Over the course of 3 application cycles I applied to these schools (for 2013-2015 matriculation): Cornell, Virginia, CSU, Auburn, Western, Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Purdue, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, SGU, Midwestern, Lincoln, Tuskegee

If any of you C/O 2020 applicants have questions on applying to any of these schools I'm happy to help, just shoot me a PM

When is everyone going to take the GRE/have you already taken it? I don't finish with classes until the beginning of June, so I was planning on taking it at the end of June or early July.

When is everyone going to take the GRE/have you already taken it? I don't finish with classes until the beginning of June, so I was planning on taking it at the end of June or early July.
I took it last July, but I'm retaking it this June. Honestly, I didn't put a huge amount of time into preparing for the test, so I know I could probably do better. My first time, I got 311 combined and a 4.5 AW, which is... meh-ish. :shrug:

I plan on July, maybe August if a retake is needed. I planned to incorporate studying into my semster but, um, it didn't happen... So now that school is out im hitting the books hard

I had a break in January between Christmas and leaving to study abroad so I studied for a few weeks and took it then. The biggest help for me though was the practice tests online and the ones you can purchase through Manhattan Prep.

This is my plan as well! Currently working my way through the Magoosh premium prep plan. I had been planning to take it this month, but decided to take longer to prep (and uh, didn't start prepping till two weeks ago haha) to hopefully only have to take it once.

I will probably shoot for end of June/beginning of July. I still have some ground to cover in terms of prepping.

I thought I had a pretty good vocabulary until I started studying GRE vocab. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
I have a 3.0. I won't get in this cycle, but I'm applying because why not? :clap:

I have a 3.0. I won't get in this cycle, but I'm applying because why not? :clap:
Ya know what though?? It gives you a chance to go through the application process and say you don't get in, you can get app reviews to give you a chance to polish up for the next cycle! That's how I am looking at it because I don't have a super strong GPA either

Reactions: 1 user
GPA isn't everything. If the rest of your application is strong, and you choose schools that don't put a lot of emphasis on GPA, then you still have a chance.

Ya know what though?? It gives you a chance to go through the application process and say you don't get in, you can get app reviews to give you a chance to polish up for the next cycle! That's how I am looking at it because I don't have a super strong GPA either
I put in my personal statement that between working 40+ hours a week and going to school full time that a 3.0 was good to me. Because it is! I bust my tail.

This thread makes me feel old.

Reactions: 6 users
New to this forum and applying this cycle for the first time! I don't want to apply to more than 5 schools though. Right now I want to apply to Washington State, Wisconsin, PEI, and Virginia-Maryland (IS).

Hey guys :( I took the GRE this morning, didn't go as I hoped... 157 Verbal, 159 Quant... I really I wanted 160s+. I didn't send it anywhere yet because I was too upset when I first saw the scores

Do you guys feel it'd be worth it to retake? I got 160+ on like 6 different practice tests, so I don't know what happened on this day. For reference, GPA is 3.7, and my expirience is good but not perfect (almost 2000 hours small animal, 750 exotic, no LA or equine).

Thoughts anyone? I'm also concerned with VMCAS opening in 3 days (!!!!!) that I'll be wasting time I could be spending on PS and supplement essays if I continue to study for the GRE... If I thought I had time to study more, I'd take it again, no question but if my scores are okay now then I won't. I'm also in classes this summer (Junior in college).

Hey guys :( I took the GRE this morning, didn't go as I hoped... 157 Verbal, 159 Quant... I really I wanted 160s+. I didn't send it anywhere yet because I was too upset when I first saw the scores

Do you guys feel it'd be worth it to retake? I got 160+ on like 6 different practice tests, so I don't know what happened on this day. For reference, GPA is 3.7, and my expirience is good but not perfect (almost 2000 hours small animal, 750 exotic, no LA or equine).

Thoughts anyone? I'm also concerned with VMCAS opening in 3 days (!!!!!) that I'll be wasting time I could be spending on PS and supplement essays if I continue to study for the GRE... If I thought I had time to study more, I'd take it again, no question but if my scores are okay now then I won't. I'm also in classes this summer (Junior in college).

Honestly? Those are pretty good stats all around in terms of GRE, GPA, and your abundance of hours and variety. But, if it's really more of a personal battle with yourself, then go for it. Those GRE scores are above average but if your goal is 160+ and it's itching you to go higher, then go higher (remember that the max is 170). Just make sure your summer courses don't suffer because of GRE studying and vise versa. Also take into account the schools that weigh the importance of the GRE vs the GPA. I know for Mizzou it's only like 4% of your score while 40% of your score is GPA.

Honestly? Those are pretty good stats all around in terms of GRE, GPA, and your abundance of hours and variety. But, if it's really more of a personal battle with yourself, then go for it. Those GRE scores are above average but if your goal is 160+ and it's itching you to go higher, then go higher (remember that the max is 170). Just make sure your summer courses don't suffer because of GRE studying and vise versa. Also take into account the schools that weigh the importance of the GRE vs the GPA. I know for Mizzou it's only like 4% of your score while 40% of your score is GPA.

Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate it! I think you may be onto something with it being a personal battle, and I definitely don't want my summer course grades or my essays to suffer due to my personal battle if it won't make a huge difference. But at the same time I just feel like I'm capable of better, and I don't want to be at a disadvantage if I don't have to be... I know I'm average overall but a little low for my favorites.. Tufts, Cornell, Penn...of course I would be ecstatic to go anywhere of course, but again, I don't wanna say goodbye to those schools until I absolutely need to.

Thanks so much for your input, I appreciate it! I think you may be onto something with it being a personal battle, and I definitely don't want my summer course grades or my essays to suffer due to my personal battle if it won't make a huge difference. But at the same time I just feel like I'm capable of better, and I don't want to be at a disadvantage if I don't have to be... I know I'm average overall but a little low for my favorites.. Tufts, Cornell, Penn...of course I would be ecstatic to go anywhere of course, but again, I don't wanna say goodbye to those schools until I absolutely need to.
I honestly think you'd be wasting your time. Focus on your school, hours, and whatever else to make you a well-rounded applicant like getting involved in volunteering and being a leader etc.

Yeah, they are pretty good, and you have a good GPA, so I would think the academic side looks alright. As others said, just make sure your presentation is well rounded and find all the things that might make you stand out as an applicant. These schools are trying to fill a class with unique individuals that diversifies the student body in addition to just making sure you can handle the academics.

You would also need to check to see what the schools do as far as how they record GRE scores. Some take your highest effort, but others average them, if I remember correctly. Also, bummer that you didn't send them, since you will have to pay to send them now. Good luck with your application!!

Yeah, they are pretty good, and you have a good GPA, so I would think the academic side looks alright. As others said, just make sure your presentation is well rounded and find all the things that might make you stand out as an applicant. These schools are trying to fill a class with unique individuals that diversifies the student body in addition to just making sure you can handle the academics.

You would also need to check to see what the schools do as far as how they record GRE scores. Some take your highest effort, but others average them, if I remember correctly. Also, bummer that you didn't send them, since you will have to pay to send them now. Good luck with your application!!

I feel like I'm all in all your average traditional applicant... I gotta work on being unique. Awk.

And yeah hindsight I should've submitted but I was in tears and ready to run away and kiss vet school goodbye.... so yeah.

Also take into account the schools that weigh the importance of the GRE vs the GPA.
Where do schools give this information? I've looked at the websites of the schools I'm applying to (Tufts, UPenn, CSU) but they don't have any percentages or anything listed. Is there a page on vmcas with this info?

Where do schools give this information? I've looked at the websites of the schools I'm applying to (Tufts, UPenn, CSU) but they don't have any percentages or anything listed. Is there a page on vmcas with this info?
I have been to open houses and talked with the admissions reps. You kind of have to do your own digging for particulars like that. At K-State, Dr. Elmore did a slide show presentation on the academics percentage scale with GRE and GPA.

Also, I'm totally with you guys on the "why not" aspect of it. I'm only a junior in undergrad, so worst case scenario if things don't go as I hope they will, I have time to figure out my weaknesses through the whole process, and file reviews at the end... and then be more prepared for next year. I think that's what I decided I'm going to do about the GRE too... submit this one for now, and if I don't get in, it's an area I'm aware of being able to improve on.

VMCAS is live in two days o_O:eek::scared::eyebrow::wow:

I just had a file review of my application this week with UPenn and they told me GRE is weighed more than GPA there. And they care much more about the quant portion than the verbal so try to make the math your higher score, if you can only really focus on one.

I have been to open houses and talked with the admissions reps. You kind of have to do your own digging for particulars like that. At K-State, Dr. Elmore did a slide show presentation on the academics percentage scale with GRE and GPA.
Okay, thanks. So that means it would be totally okay to email the individual admissions offices and ask them?

I just had a file review of my application this week with UPenn and they told me GRE is weighed more than GPA there. And they care much more about the quant portion than the verbal so try to make the math your higher score, if you can only really focus on one.

Thanks so much for this tidbit, great to know. Any idea of the range you'd need to be competitive?

Okay, thanks. So that means it would be totally okay to email the individual admissions offices and ask them?
Absolutely. Don't rely solely on the websites. Attend admissions presentations, open houses, and contacting them directly will give you more insight and direction. I flew to Michigan State in March to attend their presentation. My husband and I made a little vaca out of it afterward and went to Frankenmuth and the Henry Ford Museum which was fun!

hi!! NY undergrad student- first time applying! cornell, upenn, ncsu, virginia tech, and colorado!