Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes there is. Just search Purdue c/o 2020

Alohacat made that thread after asking if there was one, since there wasn't at the time ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know most interviews and things are via email and online portals now, but I still feel these need to be posted every year:

mailboxempty.gif

mailboxhappy.gif

Reactions: 2 users
You will have to hit the "reply" button on my previous post to see the images.

Damn SDN still can't figure out it's issues with imaging... getting really annoying.

I know most interviews and things are via email and online portals now, but I still feel these need to be posted every year:

mailboxempty.gif

mailboxhappy.gif
The first one is me, and I'm aware it's too early but I still do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Rather than posting in each individual school's thread, I'll just hit this here... I hope everyone manages to disconnect themselves from their computers/phones/ipads/whatever other digital device you're glued to and enjoy at least 48 hours away from checking portals and emails. It's pretty unlikely any significant changes will come over the next couple of days, so enjoy some family, food, or whatever gets ya going during Thanksgiving that doesn't revolve around stalking the application process.

Or don't. Whatever... haha:banana:

Reactions: 9 users
Rather than posting in each individual school's thread, I'll just hit this here... I hope everyone manages to disconnect themselves from their computers/phones/ipads/whatever other digital device you're glued to and enjoy at least 48 hours away from checking portals and emails. It's pretty unlikely any significant changes will come over the next couple of days, so enjoy some family, food, or whatever gets ya going during Thanksgiving that doesn't revolve around stalking the application process.

but....what if significant changes do in fact occur in they next few days? :eek: and I miss them when they exactly happen, or don't check my mailbox for a whole day...you mean I'll be ok? The result will still be the same?? :wideyed:

Bahahaha.

I totally would but I actually do have an interview application due on Friday so I've got to finish that up rather than waiting until the last minute. But otherwise I'll be fairly unplugged. ;)

Definitely stuck at work with 88 college kids to watch out for. Lol. I'll be on the computer a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
How bad is it going to look for schools who consider Fall grades if I don't do as well as I have been doing?

Freshman and Sophomore year I had 3.7s, but then junior year I had practically a 4.0. Now senior year I think I'm looking at a 3.7 at best again. Is this going to look bad? I know a 3.7 is good, I'm concerned about looking them seeing a "downward trend."

Edit: also adding that my GREs aren't that great, but most schools I talked to told me that because of my GPA they didn't care, but with a GPA going down, I'm afraid that'll be different too.

How bad is it going to look for schools who consider Fall grades if I don't do as well as I have been doing?

Freshman and Sophomore year I had 3.7s, but then junior year I had practically a 4.0. Now senior year I think I'm looking at a 3.7 at best again. Is this going to look bad? I know a 3.7 is good, I'm concerned about looking them seeing a "downward trend."

Edit: also adding that my GREs aren't that great, but most schools I talked to told me that because of my GPA they didn't care, but with a GPA going down, I'm afraid that'll be different too.

I can't say from experience because this is my first year applying, but I do think they understand that while your GPA may have gone down slightly, your course load and difficulty probably went up and they look at that trend as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it because you certainly didn't drop to a non competitive level.

If your GPA is that high, MOST schools are not going to care.

Reactions: 1 user

They most likely won't care. They focus more on the overall average than your average for each year. My freshman year was a 4.0 but then it went downhill from there, with each year being lower than than the first. My average overall ended up being 3.6 with science around a 3.4 and I got in and I was never asked about it during interviews.

How is everybody holding up? Hanging in there okay? Interview season is upon us now :eek:

I still have 6ish weeks till my interview at WSU. I wish they hadn't pushed IS back so much this year. Still need to buy a suit (I hate shopping! Been putting that one off :p), and am trying to decide if it's worth it to do a mock interview at my undergrad.

The associate at work that just graduated offered to help me prep, and same with my friend currently in the program, so I'm leaning towards just having them do mock interviews with me.

Edit: Jk, mock interviews are $60, not $90. And they've added back free mock interviews for students that have graduated within the last year. Last time I looked they weren't offering them anymore. Guess I'll be doing one then!

Last edited:
$90 for a mock interview? Dang! I think mock interviews from other people could definitely be just as useful. I know doing mock interviews with a couple friends helped me out a lot when I interviewed for other things in the past. I would go that route, personally. :)

I had success with suit shopping at Macy's. Spent a little more than I was hoping to originally, but I think it'll last a long time. Still looking for a good shirt to wear with it.

Edit: Just saw your edit-- disregard! :D Yeah, might as well take advantage of that!

Last edited:
How is everybody holding up? Hanging in there okay? Interview season is upon us now :eek:

I'm doing okay, I guess. Starting to get kinda nervous and my optimism is slipping a bit.
I only applied to one school so it's that or nothing this time around. My interview is January and at least few acceptances for the school I applied to have gone out already. Just wish I knew how many because I like to crunch numbers to make myself feel better. :p

I'm graduating this weekend, so I'm trying to just be excited about that rather than worrying about vet school. Haha.

Reactions: 3 users
$90 for a mock interview? Dang! I think mock interviews from other people could definitely be just as useful. I know doing mock interviews with a couple friends helped me out a lot when I interviewed for other things in the past. I would go that route, personally. :)

I had success with suit shopping at Macy's. Spent a little more than I was hoping to originally, but I think it'll last a long time. Still looking for a good shirt to wear with it.

Macy's is on my list to try! I think I'll take a look at TJ Maxx, too. When my sister worked in corporate, she found most of her suits there for decent prices. I'm hoping after Christmas there may be some sales.

@finnickthedog, congrats on graduating! And good luck! I only applied to one school this year, too. Seeing everyone getting invites from the schools that I had been considering (Mizzou and ISU mainly), has had me sort of wishing I had applied to more haha.

I'm doing okay, I guess. Starting to get kinda nervous and my optimism is slipping a bit.
I only applied to one school so it's that or nothing this time around. My interview is January and at least few acceptances for the school I applied to have gone out already. Just wish I knew how many because I like to crunch numbers to make myself feel better. :p

I'm graduating this weekend, so I'm trying to just be excited about that rather than worrying about vet school. Haha.

Congrats on graduating! That's a big deal! :prof: :highfive: As is getting an interview! It ain't over 'till it's over - go in there and nail it. :) :woot:

I'm not gonna lie, I have been feeling the maybe-I-should-have-applied-to-another-school-or-two nerves a bit as well. Anxious to see how things shake out.

I never expected to make it even this far, so I am already so proud of myself an how much I've improved both as a student and a person. Just six years ago I was on the brink of suicide and at serious risk of failing out of high school... if you'd told me that I would stand a fighting chance in veterinary school admissions just a little down the road, I'd have called you a lunatic. ;)

You should be incredibly proud - that's awesome! :claps:

@ketone, I agree with ceph, you should be proud! I hope you get good news this cycle. Congrats on all those interviews!

I have been okay. It isn't so much the application stuff that's been annoying, it's been work stuff. But hopefully should be hearing from WSU this week and then CSU the 28th. Illinois and Minn are both mysteries. I have no idea what's going on with Kansas.

I've been really happy with the thrift stores in my area. I had to go shopping for business casual this summer for a research conference, and I found some really nice things - almost everything I needed for like, under $20. I haven't started looking for interview clothes yet, but I think I'll go around the thrift stores first. Macy's prices scare me. :eek:

Speaking of suits, I have these two beautiful ones that I've had for years... but this year has been so crappy and I've been so stressed that I put on just barely enough weight that they're too tight to look appropriate, and I might bust a seam in the skirts if I force myself into them. Off to the store, it is. :(

Congrats on your graduation, finnick!

This line made me giggle.

Story of my life the last two years with them. Last year, I was on the weird limbo waitlist to be waitlisted situation. If I haven't heard from them by the time I need to be back to my res hall at the end of December, I'm going to call them. No more of this limbo crap.

My inbox has been devoid of anything so every time I get a new email notification I psych myself up to see if it'll be something from WSU or OSU, but then it just turns out to be some other junk like order confirmations. I am so done man, so done.

I still have 6ish weeks till my interview at WSU. I wish they hadn't pushed IS back so much this year. Still need to buy a suit (I hate shopping! Been putting that one off :p)
I got my pants at Marshall's, jacket online, top at Old Navy. Spent less than $50 total if I recall. For the jacket situation I actually ordered 3 from amazon, tried them on, returned the ones that didn't fit. Worked out pretty well :D

Sometimes JC Penney's has nice stuff also, and tends to be a bit cheaper than Macy's.

I got my stuff at Kohl's and it was very reasonably priced.

I'm good, I've been pretty much running through very intense and thought provoking interview questions in my head just about all the time, it's actually getting annoying. "Oh, were you ready to order?" ...hmm I wonder if they will ask me about how my waitressing job will help me in veterinary school....wait how did you want that steak cooked?...five minutes later I have conjured up the perfect answer to my hypothetical question, and I still have a steak to order and drinks to make, it's not productive at all. I received my suit in the mail from Macy's just last week (I live in a town with a target, a walmart, and a tiny mall), and the pants actually came two sizes too big, and the jacket was the size I ordered but also too big, so I got the whole darn thing tailored for the first time in my life. I also had to buy nice professional shoes, and I walked around in them all day running various errands and got a few painful blisters, but my determination won and today they are very comfortable.

I recently got this overwhelmingly pessimistic feeling that I'm not going to be accepted anywhere. I have heard back for 2 interviews, but nothing yet from 4 other schools. Being on here and seeing that some people have already received invitations/acceptances from some schools I applied to also doesn't help. But I'm going to hang in there and try to turn this pessimistic attitude around!

I recently got this overwhelmingly pessimistic feeling that I'm not going to be accepted anywhere. I have heard back for 2 interviews, but nothing yet from 4 other schools. Being on here and seeing that some people have already received invitations/acceptances from some schools I applied to also doesn't help. But I'm going to hang in there and try to turn this pessimistic attitude around!
Yeah I totally understand that, it's hard seeing other people getting interviews, especially for places you applied! I think that's the only downside to SDN, it can be anxiety producing. But you have to remember that this is a subset of maybe 20 people give or take of the 1000 that applied, and not hearing back immediately is not a no! Try not to let what people here say stress you, it'll happen when it happens :)

But regardless I also want to say thanks to everyone here on this thread... I really love how supportive everyone, especially the class of 2020 has been on here! I really hope everyone gets into where they wanna go. <3

Reactions: 8 users
Question....I just found out that I got a C in physics this semester (why I had to take the same course as engineering and physics majors, I will never understand). Am I ****ed?

why would you be?
I'm worried that if they see that on my fall transcript that it will hurt my admission chances. Will they give a little bit of leeway or will a drop like that raise some red flags?

I'm worried that if they see that on my fall transcript that it will hurt my admission chances. Will they give a little bit of leeway or will a drop like that raise some red flags?
Have you already interviewed? I think as long as you pass, they don't really care at this point.

Question....I just found out that I got a C in physics this semester (why I had to take the same course as engineering and physics majors, I will never understand). Am I ****ed?
I feel your pain, I just bombed a physics exam (don't know the mark yet). I don't think its a huge deal at this point.

Have you already interviewed? I think as long as you pass, they don't really care at this point.

I've interviewed at a couple so far, I think I'm going to put off sending in my transcript for as long as possible

You can't change it, so don't sweat it. One class will have minimal impact on your GPA, so it won't matter. They won't care about that specific class and that specific grade, most likely. Even better, most schools probably have already calculated your GPA and won't re-calculate this go-around.

Let it go and keep a positive attitude. :)

It will be ok. Look forward to your interviews. Don't worry so much about the "right" answers to anything, and don't stress over should you do this, and should you do that. Just focus on the very basics and it is likely to go well: 1) Dress professionally, 2) Behave professionally and respectfully to *EVERYONE* regardless of their perceived position in the school*, 3) Smile a lot and be personable and try and engage with people and your interviewers.

Do those 3 things and everything else will fall in line.

* The story behind #2 is that I helped out with tours and stuff every year of vet school. One year I helped give rides for applicants to/from their hotel. Keep in mind this is during the school year with classes and exams and everything else. I went to the hotel at the time they (applicant+mom) requested and had to wait quite a while because they weren't ready. Then they griped to me about the hotel (the food, I think). Then they griped about my car being not as big as they would have liked. Then we got to school and they demanded I be ready to go at a specific time to drive them back. Not a word of thanks. All just griping and demands. I asked if there was anything she would like to know about the school and instead of questions got an earful about how lucky the school would be to have her. I have NO idea if it influenced that applicant's chances, but you can bet I passed on my experience to the admissions people. Maybe (probably?) it had absolutely zero bearing. But do you want that kind of feedback going to the admissions folks about you? I never did check to see if she got in, but I certainly hope not.

Contrast that with a current student who is there who I took on a tour. She sent me - the lowly student tour guide - a thank you note. You know I passed *that* on to admissions, too. That was classy of her. Probably also had zero bearing on her application .... but you never know.

Why risk it by being a jerk?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
You're not the only one. I got a C in biochem this semester (ruined my upward trend, grumblegrumble). If your GPA is already decently high and your transcript's littered with As and Bs, one C isn't going to kill things, believe me. ;)

You'll be fine!

You're not the only one. I got a C in biochem this semester (ruined my upward trend, grumblegrumble). If your GPA is already decently high and your transcript's littered with As and Bs, one C isn't going to kill things, believe me. ;)

You'll be fine!

I only have one other C (calculus II, unbearable) so here's hoping :luck: Thank you guys for making me feel better, this whole process has a way of making you question every little thing in your life :bang:

Don't worry about it. I doubt it will affect your chances.

Do you think this is also true for spring grades if you've been accepted somewhere? I'm sort of trying to figure out if I can relax a little next semester especially since I'm not taking any prerequisites just stuff to graduate but don't know if vet schools rescind offers if your grades drop etc. I also wanted to volunteer less to open up my schedule (maybe work more and save money or just take it easy I don't know)

Do you think this is also true for spring grades if you've been accepted somewhere? I'm sort of trying to figure out if I can relax a little next semester especially since I'm not taking any prerequisites just stuff to graduate but don't know if vet schools rescind offers if your grades drop etc. I also wanted to volunteer less to open up my schedule (maybe work more and save money or just take it easy I don't know)

My understanding is it doesn't matter as long as you finish any outstanding pre-reqs with the minimum grade! And any vet hours don't matter! So you are good to relax