Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone,
I have an interview scheduled at one school and just got an email from another school saying they scheduled me for the same date (the second school didn't ask my schedule and said the date is firm and that I cannot change it). Would it look bad if I contacted the first school to reschedule (i.e. would it seem like I didn't think as highly of them and that they're my "backup" school - which is totally not the case)? I just want the opportunity to interview at as many schools as I can and not ruin my chances!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I have an interview scheduled at one school and just got an email from another school saying they scheduled me for the same date (the second school didn't ask my schedule and said the date is firm and that I cannot change it). Would it look bad if I contacted the first school to reschedule (i.e. would it seem like I didn't think as highly of them and that they're my "backup" school - which is totally not the case)? I just want the opportunity to interview at as many schools as I can and not ruin my chances!
Every school has different policies about this.... I highly doubt it would effect your chances, given that you're polite about it. You can ever just tell them you have a conflict that you can't reschedule without specifying what it is. Worst thing I see happening is that they say no, and you have to choose which one you want to go to.

How many schools are there left to hear from at this point? I know a bunch of us are anticipating Illinois this week, but I can't imagine there are too many schools left.

I've only heard back from CSU (at least final decision wise). I interviewed with TAMU this week and we should hear back hopefully in February. I also applied to Wisconsin and NCSU and those should both release decisions around mid-February or early March.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have interviews scheduled at Tennessee & Virginia this coming weekend, then Mississippi and Auburn a couple weeks later. Haven't heard from Florida yet, but everyone seems to think that notifications will be coming soon for them(but they did do a set of early interviews/acceptances)! Then I applied to NC state and Georgia who don't interview, so I haven't heard from them yet either! So I have heard from 4/7 schools.
Congrats to everyone who has gotten interviews and acceptances so far!:)

It has to feel awesome to know you are in, congrats

Thanks! It's exciting! I really hope you get into your top choice schools!! :) I'm sure you'll do great at your upcoming interviews! Good luck with it all and I hope to hear great news from you soon!:highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just waiting to hear from Illinois, aside from my official rejection letter from Mizzou that should be coming in February. I've already interviewed and been accepted at K-State. I had an interview scheduled with SGU, but canceled it after getting the acceptance, and I withdrew my app to Midwestern (I was on their interview waitlist).

I'm not very hopeful about Illinois because I never got the email most people did about passing phase 1, which is a little surprising since I got an interview last year. But I oddly won't mind much if I get a rejection from Illinois, because it will mean I can commit to K-State. :) Illinois tuition is about $7k a year cheaper than Kansas if my numbers are correct, but there are several reasons I like Kansas a bit better, so it will be a tough choice if I get accepted to both.

Reactions: 1 user
And on the topic of work, I'm literally counting the days until I can quit my two jobs! I'll be leaving end of May when my lease here is up. I thought the Christmas rush being over, and knowing that I'll be leaving in a few months would make dragging myself to work every day a little easier, but it's still excruciating. :p I am grateful though for having the next few months to save up a bit more money. Both of my jobs make me feel very necessary and aren't cutting my hours or anything even though they know I'm leaving, so that's nice.

How many schools are there left to hear from at this point? I know a bunch of us are anticipating Illinois this week, but I can't imagine there are too many schools left.
NCSU is March 15 for residents. Seems so late relative to everyone else. Is anyone later than March 15?

Happy to read so many success stories already on this page though. Great job!

NCSU is March 15 for residents. Seems so late relative to everyone else. Is anyone later than March 15?
Mizzou doesn't interview IS until late February/early March, and doesn't send decision letters until late March.

And on the topic of work, I'm literally counting the days until I can quit my two jobs! I'll be leaving end of May when my lease here is up. I thought the Christmas rush being over, and knowing that I'll be leaving in a few months would make dragging myself to work every day a little easier, but it's still excruciating. :p I am grateful though for having the next few months to save up a bit more money. Both of my jobs make me feel very necessary and aren't cutting my hours or anything even though they know I'm leaving, so that's nice.
Same! I'm dragging my feet at my restaurant job these days...got my head in the clouds and cant' stop thinking about how I'm going to move thousands of miles and over an ocean, lol. I got more hours at the veterinary clinic though, and that helps. The restaurant job pays better so I can't quit yet.

Same! I'm dragging my feet at my restaurant job these days...got my head in the clouds and cant' stop thinking about how I'm going to move thousands of miles and over an ocean, lol. I got more hours at the veterinary clinic though, and that helps. The restaurant job pays better so I can't quit yet.
My customer service job pays better than my clinic job! It's kind of ridiculous. During Christmas it felt justified though.

I have been trying to look for full-time positions now any many places said I am over-qualified or that they don't want to hire me since I applied to veterinary school and possibly wouldn't be 6-7 months from now. :/ So alas, I am trying to work several part time jobs to pay for more than one application this time around (assuming I wont get into my IS). Why is being an adult so hard? Might be worth a $2 lotto ticket... hehe:joyful:
Ah, I had the same problem over the course of last summer trying to find just part-time jobs. I brought up the fact that I was in the vet school app process thinking it would help my chances (i.e. demonstrate my continuing interest/commitment to the field), but instead it made most of them assume I'd be gone within the year :( even though I always stressed that it's only my first try and VERY unlikely I would get in anywhere this cycle...(and I didn't). One place did call me "a little overqualified" too, I guess they were expecting non-degree holders :p

But I did interview at a newer clinic last week, they actually seemed interested in my experiences and not put off by my intent to apply since this cycle is coming to an end and I already know I'm not in anywhere. Crossing my fingers.

Ah, I had the same problem over the course of last summer trying to find just part-time jobs. I brought up the fact that I was in the vet school app process thinking it would help my chances (i.e. demonstrate my continuing interest/commitment to the field), but instead it made most of them assume I'd be gone within the year :( even though I always stressed that it's only my first try and VERY unlikely I would get in anywhere this cycle...(and I didn't). One place did call me "a little overqualified" too, I guess they were expecting non-degree holders :p

But I did interview at a newer clinic last week, they actually seemed interested in my experiences and not put off by my intent to apply since this cycle is coming to an end and I already know I'm not in anywhere. Crossing my fingers.

Good to know I am not the only one! I only applied to the one school so I am thinking the same thing may happen to me. Best of luck with the job hunt! Fingers crossed for you! :cat:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone applied to the Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph? I got accepted and wanted to see if anyone else was looking at going there!

Has anyone applied to the Ontario Veterinary College at the University of Guelph? I got accepted and wanted to see if anyone else was looking at going there!

I really wanted to apply there, but they wouldn't let me. I am a Canadian Citizen (living in the US), but I am not a resident of Ontario (born in Alberta), so I couldn't apply. I asked if I could apply as an international student and they said only if I renounce my Canadian citizenship. So only Ontario residents and everyone else in the world except other Canadians can apply.... Ok end of rant.

It seems like a really nice school. I know a DVM who is doing an Equine Internship there and she really likes it! I would be interested to know your thoughts!

I really wanted to apply there, but they wouldn't let me. I am a Canadian Citizen (living in the US), but I am not a resident of Ontario (born in Alberta), so I couldn't apply. I asked if I could apply as an international student and they said only if I renounce my Canadian citizenship. So only Ontario residents and everyone else in the world except other Canadians can apply.... Ok end of rant.

It seems like a really nice school. I know a DVM who is doing an Equine Internship there and she really likes it! I would be interested to know your thoughts!

That is so bizarre... I wonder why they have those rules.

That is so bizarre... I wonder why they have those rules.

No Idea. I get charging an out of province tuition, but they only have in-province and international. When I spoke to the admission lady, she said I was the second person they have encountered this with, but I couldn't apply. I must be the "other" Canadian. :p

I identify with this very strongly right now.

science.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
No Idea. I get charging an out of province tuition, but they only have in-province and international. When I spoke to the admission lady, she said I was the second person they have encountered this with, but I couldn't apply. I must be the "other" Canadian. :p
How strange! Do they take only a small number of international students? I'm unfamiliar with any of the school systems outside the US. Is in-province vs international tuition the same price hike as IS/OOS here in the US? Perhaps they are doing their best to ensure their students stay within the province upon graduating? Fascinating info though. Thanks for sharing, and sorry you are "the other" Canadian. :)

How strange! Do they take only a small number of international students? I'm unfamiliar with any of the school systems outside the US. Is in-province vs international tuition the same price hike as IS/OOS here in the US? Perhaps they are doing their best to ensure their students stay within the province upon graduating? Fascinating info though. Thanks for sharing, and sorry you are "the other" Canadian. :)

As a Canadian from Ontario I can try to give some insight. They only take Ontario students in Canada, and yes the in-province (IS) vs OOS (international/US) is the same sort of price hike they have in the US. They take up to 15 international/US student per year and around 120 Ontario students.

Last edited:

Haha yeah, I mean there is no since in actually making a fuss about it ;). I assume that there is some level of provincial funding to in-province students to motivate them to stay there and because they have lived and payed taxes there, etc. Similar to IS and OOS for us in the US. I am not sure of the exact ratio between the in-province: international fees vs IS:OOS, but the international fee is quite a bit larger.

Meh, oh well. Tis what it is.
As a result my eggs are all in one basket and I ended up only applying to one school. Maybe things will be a little different next year. I think it is kind of funny that they do it that way. It's so anti-Canadian not letting people of a certain origin (other Canadians) apply. lol :rolleyes:

In retrospect, I think the Calgary Vet school does the same. Perhaps they need to just have an out-of-province tuition.

I'm having a hard time staying positive at this point. I just have this sinking feeling that a rejection is headed my way. For those of without an acceptance yet but still waiting to hear... how ya holding up?

Seriously struggling with that impending doom feeling. Trying to stay positive and very busy. I am also planning a back up: grad school.

I'm having a hard time staying positive at this point. I just have this sinking feeling that a rejection is headed my way. For those of without an acceptance yet but still waiting to hear... how ya holding up?
No acceptances yet here, either. And seeing so many other SDNers starting to recieve them is beginning to make me impatient. :laugh: My hopes for this cycle are beginning to die a bit, too, especially with my cumulative GPA as low as it is and with an admittedly pretty crummy fall semester.

As of now, I'm an alternate at Midwestern, I should hear from ISU within a few weeks, I've got an interview with Glasgow on Feburary 4th, and I still have yet to hear anything from my IS, Mizzou.

No acceptances yet here, either. And seeing so many other SDNers starting to recieve them is making me super impatient/worried. My hopes for this cycle are beginning to die a bit, too, especially with my cumulative GPA as low as it is and with an admittedly pretty crummy fall semester. :lame:

As-is, I'm an alternate at Midwestern, I should hear from ISU within a few weeks, I've got an interview with Glasgow on Feburary 4th, and I still have yet to hear anything from my IS, Mizzou.

My worst fear is being wait-listed. I have a very good friend who was wait-listed at Western and she got an acceptance 2 weeks before the school started. I guess someone dropped out right before and she got offered the spot. It was a good thing, but she barely had enough time to quit her new job and had to live in a hotel for a while until she found housing down there. Now she is rocking it! But alas, it was very awesome yet stressful. And because I know that, I would be hoping right until the beginning of school to get off the wait-list. That would just drive me crazy. :eek:

I still have 2 months to go before I find out. Not so patiently waiting to plan out my spring/summer based on the answer. When do you expect to hear?

My worst fear is being wait-listed. I have a very good friend who was wait-listed at Western and she got an acceptance 2 weeks before the school started. I guess someone dropped out right before and she got offered the spot. It was a good thing, but she barely had enough time to quit her new job and had to live in a hotel for a while until she found housing down there. Now she is rocking it! But alas, it was very awesome yet stressful. And because I know that, I would be hoping right until the beginning of school to get off the wait-list. That would just drive me crazy. :eek:
Yeah, it's already starting to worry me a bit. I know the chances of eventually being accepted off of MWU's waitlist is generally high in comparison to other vet schools (since it is so new and... pricey... which sucks because it absolutely friggin' blew away all of my expectations during the interview), so now I'm panicking over the possible when. I would hate to wind up in a position like your friend's! That sounds so incredibly stressful! :scared:

No acceptances yet, but I'm actually still quite hopeful, probably because I haven't been outright rejected either (but that might change soon because I'm on the interview waitlist for one school and will definitively know today if I get one or not). I've had 2 interviews, 1 coming up, still being considered at a school that doesn't interview, and I haven't heard from my IS yet. They don't interview until later anyway. I keep saying that "no news is good news" and trying to keep myself occupied/distracted.

Focus on other life stuff, including improving your app for next year. There is no downside - even if you get accepted, building more experience is good.

Best thing you can do is stay busy enough that you aren't thinking about it.

Hang in there. Waiting sucks. Anxiety sucks.

I know the feeling. Waiting is rough and isn't getting easier. :(

Fingers crossed for everybody. :xf::biglove:

Yeah, it's already starting to worry me a bit. I know the chances of eventually being accepted off of MWU's waitlist is generally high in comparison to other vet schools (since it is so new and... pricey... which sucks because it absolutely friggin' blew away all of my expectations during the interview), so now I'm panicking over the possible when. I would hate to wind up in a position like your friend's! That sounds so incredibly stressful! :scared:

I know the feeling. Waiting is rough and isn't getting easier. :(

Fingers crossed for everybody. :xf::biglove:

You guys are awesome, and I have my fingers crossed for you! ❤️

Finally got an interview for the cycle! :soexcited:

Reactions: 24 users
I still have not heard a word from Kansas State... I'm an OOS applicant and I just want to know what's going on! Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I still have not heard a word from Kansas State... I'm an OOS applicant and I just want to know what's going on! Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I'm in the same boat and here's my info. So this happened last year. They sent out interview invites and rejections, but there were a chunk of us that didn't hear anything at all. So some of us called/e-mailed them. They had set aside a group of us that were "waitlisted to interview" because they had a ton of applicants. They even increased the amount of people they interviewed from 300 to 350. They told us they would let us know if they would be doing an extra interview weekend. They actually did end up doing the extra weekend with what sounds like an extra 40 or 50 people. After that we were kept on a "waitlisted for waitlist situation". So yeah.

I'm in the same boat and here's my info. So this happened last year. They sent out interview invites and rejections, but there were a chunk of us that didn't hear anything at all. So some of us called/e-mailed them. They had set aside a group of us that were "waitlisted to interview" because they had a ton of applicants. They even increased the amount of people they interviewed from 300 to 350. They told us they would let us know if they would be doing an extra interview weekend. They actually did end up doing the extra weekend with what sounds like an extra 40 or 50 people. After that we were kept on a "waitlisted for waitlist situation". So yeah.

A...waitlist for the waitlist? That sounds awful. D:

A...waitlist for the waitlist? That sounds awful. D:
I've seen a few schools this year having "interview waitlists." I get why schools do it, so if they end up having to do more interviews than initially planned they don't have to un-reject people, but you would think there would be a point where they would for sure know they're done with interviews and could then send rejection letters to those people. IDK, I don't get it and I'm sorry you guys are having to deal with this. :(

Not so hot. I'm trying to keep my head up but feeling pretty sure that what I hear in February will be "You put your family through the ringer for nothing. No matter what everyone who has actually met you thinks, including the professor that talked you into trying one last time, they will never let you into vet school because of your undergrad grades. You suck."

Lame sauce brain, lame sauce. :(

In retrospect, I think the Calgary Vet school does the same. Perhaps they need to just have an out-of-province tuition.

A friend of mine teaches at Calgary Vet, and he said they only accept students from Alberta. Out of curiosity, I looked up the other Canadian schools. Western only accepts Canadians from the four western provinces (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba) and from the Northern Territories. I can't figure out what the deal is with the University of Montreal, since their "future students" page is literally blank, but according to AAVMC, you need to be a Canadian and be fluent in French. AVC seems to accept students from the Atlantic provinces (PEI, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador) and international students.

I guess the idea is that the various provinces are serviced by the specific schools that they fund, so they want to limit admission to residents who contribute to taxes and who will hopefully stay. Maybe our schools in the US are just more willing to give seats to non-residents for the extra tuition money. I mean, the purpose of opening a new school used to be to serve the area and state it was in, but it obviously doesn't quite work like that here anymore. So if it doesn't really work that way, why not give some seats to OOS students instead of serving just your state?

Not so hot. I'm trying to keep my head up but feeling pretty sure that what I hear in February will be "You put your family through the ringer for nothing. No matter what everyone who has actually met you thinks, including the professor that talked you into trying one last time, they will never let you into vet school because of your undergrad grades. You suck."

Aww, Keep your spirits up! Grades are just numbers! I didn't have very good grades as an undergrad either... It is really hard feeling judged by others, but remember that only you truly know you. Drive, ambition, and passion are what make people successful, not numbers assigned by others. Those traits can appear at anytime in someone's life when we discover new interests. So many great people in history were failed, left college, or denied.

I know how you feel. I spent most of my savings re-taking classes for better grades, and now no one wants to employ me for my skills due to the possibility I may not be there in 7 months. I have concluded I'll be bagging groceries and mucking stalls to try and make rent.

But DAMN IT! WE FIGHT! We make our future! We miss 100% of the shots we don't take and a rejection is not a "never", just "not now". Its better than not trying at all. We will be veterinarians! And when we are, we will be the best. We are more than numbers. If it is numbers they are looking for, then I will make sure my application crosses their desk so many time that they know it by heart.

Do not give up! Stay Strong! I believe in you! ;)

Reactions: 4 users

Hi LadyOtheFarm and anyone else feeling discouraged...I just wanted to let you know that I've shadowed/worked with at least ten different veterinarians over the last several years. The one I look up to the most and who I consider my role model is a veterinarian, who is extremely compassion, kind, and respectful, and has a non-traditional story to becoming a veterinarian (took his at least ten years to get into vet school).

His story: graduated from undergrad, worked as a tech for about 7-10 years while applying to veterinary school 2-3 times, but not getting in. When he asked the admissions committee what was wrong with his app, they would basically say he was a strong applicant but there were a lot of applicants this year. Eventually he was way out of college. He had to retake all of the prereqs (and he did this in a year). He ended up applying to a school in the islands, was accepted, and graduated there.

I think (and he will say) that he is a really empathetic and kind person because of the journey and struggles he had to overcome to become a vet. I shadowed so many different vets and it wasn't until I was able to work for him that I had a very positive experience in a vet's office. While it might not sound like much that he makes the vet techs and vet assistants really enjoy the job, I can say it is really invaluable for me because I most likely would not have made the decision to go for veterinary school if not for his influence. Further, if I personally went straight to vet school and never worked as an assistant and got to know the vet techs and their problems, I think it would have gone straight to my head and I may have had an ego problem as a vet honestly.

Basically, in a really long way, I'm saying that if you wanted to become a vet and it took you ten years, you would be a different person than if you didn't go through that journey. I'm sure that journey would take a lot of picking yourself up, and you would be a different doctor for that. (more well-prepared, more mature , different interests)

(Also it's good interview material for name a time you faced a challenge! lol). Anyway, I know it's a tough situation. I've had a really hard week at work (breaking down and stuff) but I've been trying to remind myself that whenever I doubt myself, I won't do my best. I.e. think I can't get A's, I'll get B's. Don't think I'm a good athlete, do worse.

Anyway, work on your app if you still want to be a vet. Try not to get overwhelmed with negative feelings--someone told me that there are so many qualified candidates for grad school that sometimes it's just luck getting in, who knows. Maybe you were like on the brink of getting in but next time, work on your app so your not on the brink. (sorry that wording was not the most inspirational but you get the idea!) Take the positive, constructive from this--pin point what you can improve and make a plan.

So sorry LOTF. I know how sad you must be feeling... But don't let them or anyone convince you that you're anything less than awesome! You've accomplished so much, and just because they don't see that doesn't mean it's not true. Hang in there!! You're amazing!

Last edited:
Thanks all! I try to stay positive. I just have a lot of bad ju-ju going on right now and the weight of it all kinda gets really heavy after awhile.

I personally don't have a fever anymore, so that helps too! My older kiddo is scaring the crap out of us and she'll be headed into the OR soon, so I also think that's part of it: I get so focused on staying positive for her that my future kinda falls into shadow and I feel a little guilty for us being where we are just because I wanted to give it one last shot... which in turn makes me feel like they'll have the same bad feelings (complete phooey) and then I really will have wasted my families' time.

At the same time, with all her sudden health problems and all the potential surgeries over the next year, part of me wants to stay in the area because some of the best care for Down Syndrome in the world is in this area, but there is no future for me here.

I just don't want to make adult decisions anymore. Somebody else wanna take a shot?

(I love this, but I am having moments lately where I think: the next person who tells me they couldn't juggle everything I do and thinks I'm amazing with that slack jaw look on their face... is gonna get handed a job. I've been a super mom for too long, an amazing super hero woman even longer before that... let a girl hang up her cape for a minute and step in here. I do ALL this ish because I have to. I'm tired.) But this all still might be the fever and sore joints and fear of the future talking.

My normal:

It's all going to be awesome, however it turns out! I strive for happy and luckily there are a ton of ways to get there! These ladies are beautiful! (My little girls) I have gorgeous creatures and get to breed my cow soon... there is a whole lot to be excited for!

Next step is work on the resume and hope I don't need it;)

Reactions: 10 users
Thanks all! I try to stay positive. I just have a lot of bad ju-ju going on right now and the weight of it all kinda gets really heavy after awhile.

I personally don't have a fever anymore, so that helps too! My older kiddo is scaring the crap out of us and she'll be headed into the OR soon, so I also think that's part of it: I get so focused on staying positive for her that my future kinda falls into shadow and I feel a little guilty for us being where we are just because I wanted to give it one last shot... which in turn makes me feel like they'll have the same bad feelings (complete phooey) and then I really will have wasted my families' time.

At the same time, with all her sudden health problems and all the potential surgeries over the next year, part of me wants to stay in the area because some of the best care for Down Syndrome in the world is in this area, but there is no future for me here.

I just don't want to make adult decisions anymore. Somebody else wanna take a shot?

(I love this, but I am having moments lately where I think: the next person who tells me they couldn't juggle everything I do and thinks I'm amazing with that slack jaw look on their face... is gonna get handed a job. I've been a super mom for too long, an amazing super hero woman even longer before that... let a girl hang up her cape for a minute and step in here. I do ALL this ish because I have to. I'm tired.) But this all still might be the fever and sore joints and fear of the future talking.

My normal:

It's all going to be awesome, however it turns out! I strive for happy and luckily there are a ton of ways to get there! These ladies are beautiful! (My little girls) I have gorgeous creatures and get to breed my cow soon... there is a whole lot to be excited for!

:=|:-): Pretty sure you are a super ninja! Hats off to you! Best wishes for a speedy recovery for you older girl, hope it all goes smoothly.:xf::luck:
You are an inspiration! :bow:

You. Go clean my fish tank! ;)
Actually, thought about it a bit more. With your title... let's go with: Go round pen my heifer. She needs more ground work before I chuck the bareback pad on her. Or I need to find and fit a harness. Either way, poor thing is getting ignored right now and it's turning her into a grumpy pocket cow.

My normal:

I'm just catching up on everything, but you have such an amazing attitude about everything, and a great outlook on life. I wish you the best of luck with everything, and sending you and your family my good vibes.

My normal:

Your girls are seriously so lucky to have you as a role model! Good luck with everything