Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The fact that any school considers the GRE to be important frankly blows my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I have been to open houses and talked with the admissions reps. You kind of have to do your own digging for particulars like that. At K-State, Dr. Elmore did a slide show presentation on the academics percentage scale with GRE and GPA.

Could you share the K-State info? I have applied there for the last two cycles and been waitlisted or "waitlisted to be waitlisted" and so I'm trying to find that edge where if I push off, I'll fall onto the "Accepted" side.

Could you share the K-State info? I have applied there for the last two cycles and been waitlisted or "waitlisted to be waitlisted" and so I'm trying to find that edge where if I push off, I'll fall onto the "Accepted" side.
Yes. So they take into consideration your science gpa which is the science courses in the pre-requisites and that's worth 30%. Then GRE is 40% and you must make a 50% or higher on that. The averages for this last cycle were around 70%, 60%, and 60%. Now, it may not have been exactly but that is what I can remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. So they take into consideration your science gpa which is the science courses in the pre-requisites and that's worth 30%. Then GRE is 40% and you must make a 50% or higher on that. The averages for this last cycle were around 70%, 60%, and 60%. Now, it may not have been exactly but that is what I can remember.

Thanks for the info! My GRE is like dead center according to this because my written portion completely balanced out my quantitative.

Thanks for the info! My GRE is like dead center according to this because my written portion completely balanced out my quantitative.

Be careful with that. I don't think your written portion carries enough weight to balance anything out since most schools don't care about the written portion. I was told that for the most part, even the ones with high averages for the AW section is mostly due to the fact that people who perform well on other sections also can write well. Don't quote me on that though!

Dang, I wish WSU did that! I don't think they care about the AW section that much, but still.

Happy VMCAS season!! May the odds be ever in our favor.

I hope everyone gets into the school that they want!

Reactions: 2 users
Happy VMCAS day, all! Remember, don't leave things 'til the night before it's due... there's going to be a lot of people trying to submit then, and it'll clog up their servers.

Reactions: 1 user
Happy VMCAS season!! May the odds be ever in our favor.

I hope everyone gets into the school that they want!
Omigerrd yay!! My 10 hour work day will go by so slow!! I am excited for everyone! Yeeyee!

Tip: If you're planning on completing your application ASAP, don't. I submitted my VMCAS application 2 weeks after it was opened because I had everything done ahead of time and I 100% regret it. Not only will you miss out on putting in more hours and experiences, but you'll also be left waiting for months, which really sucks. Some schools will let you write on their supplemental app what you've done since submitting your VMCAS, but not all will and you might regret it if you get some unique experiences later on in the summer. Take your time filling it out and be as thorough as possible and if you think you're done early, hold off on submitting it and give yourself a few weeks/months to let it all marinate and then submit it a month before it's due with any changes or additional experiences you gained during the summer.

Reactions: 4 users
Are you out of state for k state

Out of state. Born and raised in Colorado, with some Nebraska love on the side.

Be careful with that. I don't think your written portion carries enough weight to balance anything out since most schools don't care about the written portion. I was told that for the most part, even the ones with high averages for the AW section is mostly due to the fact that people who perform well on other sections also can write well. Don't quote me on that though!

In addition to this, a lot of schools do not or barely utilize the AW section at all (bad news for me!). Most only weigh the Verbal and Quant, so I'd be sure to really try your best to beast those, as well. But the best policy is to always double-check with the individual schools you're interested in!

After two application cycles, I feel like I know this deep down. lol. But I am horrible at standardized tests all the way around (except written portions or reading) and so I have been trying to boost my application in other ways. I really wish that they would take the written portion into account cause I scored in the 95 percentile on that, but a 35 percentile on the quantitative. Like I said, it would balance out almost perfectly, since I was 65 percentile on qualitative. I have time if I want to retake it this summer after really researching the schools I have on my "short list". When I did my file review for CSU, the dean said the score wasn't bad and not to bother retaking it, but that might not be true for other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tip: If you're planning on completing your application ASAP, don't. I submitted my VMCAS application 2 weeks after it was opened because I had everything done ahead of time and I 100% regret it. Not only will you miss out on putting in more hours and experiences, but you'll also be left waiting for months, which really sucks. Some schools will let you write on their supplemental app what you've done since submitting your VMCAS, but not all will and you might regret it if you get some unique experiences later on in the summer. Take your time filling it out and be as thorough as possible and if you think you're done early, hold off on submitting it and give yourself a few weeks/months to let it all marinate and then submit it a month before it's due with any changes or additional experiences you gained during the summer.

THIS

Does anyone who has done the process before think that it'd be entirely terrible to ask for a LOR via email? My school is an hour and a half away and I'd love to ask one of my professors, by I won't see them again until August. I really wanted to ask in person and I know I should've done this earlier but...

Does anyone who has done the process before think that it'd be entirely terrible to ask for a LOR via email? My school is an hour and a half away and I'd love to ask one of my professors, by I won't see them again until August. I really wanted to ask in person and I know I should've done this earlier but...

Always ask in person if possible, or call on the phone if you can't possibly see them in person. You want them to write a good letter for you, and taking the extra time to see them or speak with them on the phone is a little more personal. If you have to e-mail them, make sure it's a polite, professional e-mail and tell them in the e-mail they can call you to ask questions, etc.

I'm of the opinion that email is often preferable. It gives the person an out and doesn't put them on the spot. I always include in my email an offer to meet with/have a phone conversation with that person to discuss my application/letter.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm of the opinion that email is often preferable. It gives the person an out and doesn't put them on the spot. I always include in my email an offer to meet with/have a phone conversation with that person to discuss my application/letter.
That's exactly why email isn't a good idea, in my opinion. Two of the professors that wrote letters for me specifically mentioned at the end of the semester that they don't write letters so we shouldn't bother. I spoke to both in person and I must have said something right because they both agreed to make an exception for me. It's a lot easier to ignore an email or straight up say no than it is to ignore the sad puppy face in person. ;) Showing up in person dressed decently and having a professional chat with them makes it look like their letter is more important to you. For vets, I say use your judgement based on how close you are with them. I asked the vet that I worked most with (and had a closer relationship with) through a text, whereas the other I asked in person. Just my $0.02 though. :)

That's exactly why email isn't a good idea, in my opinion. Two of the professors that wrote letters for me specifically mentioned at the end of the semester that they don't write letters so we shouldn't bother. I spoke to both in person and I must have said something right because they both agreed to make an exception for me. It's a lot easier to ignore an email or straight up say no than it is to ignore the sad puppy face in person. ;) Showing up in person dressed decently and having a professional chat with them makes it look like their letter is more important to you. For vets, I say use your judgement based on how close you are with them. I asked the vet that I worked most with (and had a closer relationship with) through a text, whereas the other I asked in person. Just my $0.02 though. :)

I definitely see that point of view. But some writers feel pressured when you're literally in front of them, waiting for their answer and I wouldn't want to feel as though I had pressured them in that way. One would hope they would decline if they didn't think they could write a good recommendation, but you'll never know the quality of the letter and people have been burned by that, getting a lukewarm letter in return. Those that I asked in person, I was extremely confident that I would get a positive response.

I see both sides of the coin, I just prefer email because that's how I would prefer to be approached as a potential writer.

Just started filling out VMCAS! Can't believe it!

excited-baby.gif

Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
Agreed, very user friendly and not intimidating at all! I'm a fan.

Thanks so much for this tidbit, great to know. Any idea of the range you'd need to be competitive?

Mr. Keiter from admissions said "Aim for 78th percentile. That's the magic number." Haha so though not really a range, that seems to be the average of the people accepted for interview. Of course yours could be lower or higher, just don't think you're out if you don't have that number.

Making my VMCAS account now!! :soexcited: Can't wait to take this exciting journey will all of you. :) Good luck everyone!!!!!

Yay! Applying this year (to 7 schools!).

Now, when VMCAS said they were changing, I saw something about the PPI thing being no more... but now I can't find that info. Nothing says PPI on the app, or in the school webpages anymore, but I'm scared I'm gonna mess up and not do it. Anyone know for sure if the PPI thing is bye bye?

Now, when VMCAS said they were changing, I saw something about the PPI thing being no more... but now I can't find that info. Nothing says PPI on the app, or in the school webpages anymore, but I'm scared I'm gonna mess up and not do it. Anyone know for sure if the PPI thing is bye bye?

I feel like this is something to check with individual schools for, since everyone doesn't use the PPI.

I'm basically half excited and half about to throw up.

Any thoughts on whether the transcript entry service is worth the cost?

I actually haven't taken the GRE yet... scheduled to do so in June. I was going to do it earlier but I have summer classes so it just isn't convenient and I want to give myself the best chance at a good score on the first try. I used to be good at tests like this... we'll see if I still am. I need it though, my GPA is lower than I would have liked.

Agreed. When I applied to under grad one of my college apps required all classes and grades to be self reported for all four years of high school (with predicted grades for the ones not completed). Since my HS was on quarters, I had to enter over 90 classes plus grades. Took maybe an hour? Boring, but fast.

Have any of you had any luck with Iowa or LMU's supplements? Both keep giving me error messages.

I also can't find Virginia-Maryland's, Missouri, or Cornell, but I'm guessing those just aren't available yet.

The PPI thing is indeed bye bye, ETS is discontinuing it per their website. :)

https://www.ets.org/ppi

PPI is an ETS thing, not VMCAS. And yes, it's gone.

Ahhhh just started the VMCAS so exciting (only been waiting 10 years to do this....)!! Is there a set of instructions somewhere on specifics of filling it out? Also, do you know if "achievements" includes things from HS? My college doesn't do the Dean's List/President's List thing (even if you have a 3.9+) so I have zero academic awards and I feel weird leaving an entire section blank :(

Very curious how there's a "I am not adding experiences" button... is that like an automatic rejection?

Is there a set of instructions somewhere on specifics of filling it out?

There is an FAQ with instructions for each part. I believe the link is on the VCMAS homepage :)

I'm just irritated that I can't start filling out experiences and go back later to edit them (at least that's what it sounds like from the instructions). Most of mine are not actually finished yet and I want to put down as many hours as I can. *grumps*

But SuperKelpie... I think I'm leaving the awards section blank too. And yes, it bothers me too to leave something totally blank.

You can go back and edit experiences.... You just can't put experiences that haven't happened at the time of submission, or count for hours that will happen after submission.

Right now I'm just listing experiences and leaving some info (ie: contact info for one of them because my supervisor is leaving and I don't know who the new one is yet) blank, and planning to edit before submission and will update hours then.

Also, for Iowa, does anyone know if there are additional essay questions than the ones listed on the "Questions" section of VMCAS?

You can't update info after you submit your app, maybe that is what you are thinking of?

There is an edit button next to each experience I've listed so far, and I can open the experience no problem to update.

Good luck everyone! You all should apply to Ohio :)

I'm just irritated that I can't start filling out experiences and go back later to edit them (at least that's what it sounds like from the instructions). Most of mine are not actually finished yet and I want to put down as many hours as I can. *grumps*

But SuperKelpie... I think I'm leaving the awards section blank too. And yes, it bothers me too to leave something totally blank.

After looking at the FAQ (thanks for the tip Caiter!) it appears you can list high school awards/achievements (so hopefully we won't be sending in that part blank)! Beware though it's a little confusing since the TMDSAS only lets you list things post-HS (except for vet/animal experience) in case you're applying to TAMU too.

When I entered in one of my eLORs it asked me for a deadline... is that different from the 9/15 deadline of VMCAS?

Missouri's isn't up yet. As for Iowa... I'm getting an error, too. I've been trying to set up my account but keep getting a message informing me that my VMCAS ID number is not long enough...

Ok that's what it's saying to me too

When I entered in one of my eLORs it asked me for a deadline... is that different from the 9/15 deadline of VMCAS?

I was wondering this, too! I think they are letting you set your own deadline for them this year that will be put in the automated email to them? I told all my evaluators I was hoping to turn in my app in late August, so I put the deadline as 9/1.

Question... if I have experience with wild birds does that go under zoo/wildlife or exotic/avian? Because they are definitely wildlife but they are also definitely avian. Which category wins here? Anybody know?

Also, I read in the instructions or something it recommends looking at your official transcript in order to fill out the coursework so it matches exactly. Is that actually necessary or will looking at my web transcript give me all the info I need?

/thisishardandthesearestupidquestions

Question... if I have experience with wild birds does that go under zoo/wildlife or exotic/avian? Because they are definitely wildlife but they are also definitely avian. Which category wins here? Anybody know?

Also, I read in the instructions or something it recommends looking at your official transcript in order to fill out the coursework so it matches exactly. Is that actually necessary or will looking at my web transcript give me all the info I need?

/thisishardandthesearestupidquestions

Since they're wild, I'd put them under wildlife. Generally avian/exotic is referring to pet parrots and small mammals like hamsters.

I selected wildlife for something similar, and then in the description box just mentioned a few of the species I've been working with.