Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:eek:

Good luck with your move, rockatiel!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I was rather confused by the layout at first, but I think I've largely got the hang of it now. There is just a ton on that site and I'm very thankful that they allow free access for vet students; if it turns out that I find myself using it a lot during school, then I would certainly be more than willing to pay and keep my account active once I'm out (provided that I'm not completely financially destitute... which I guess is fairly likely, being vet med). It's really neat.

My job pays my membership, and they're pretty stingy in terms of benefits, so I think that's something you could work in.

Just found out there's an arts center not 2 blocks away from my new apartment, and they do weekly swing dances. More excited for that than gross anatomy, the thought of which makes me want to barf from worry. :laugh:

SWING DANCING IS TONS OF FUN YOU SHOULD GO. :D

Reactions: 1 users
My academic calendar is up. My syllabi are posted. I'm nauseous.

Reactions: 9 users
60 days til school starts for me...eeek! I go back and forth between "squee my life is starting!" and "OMG the loans WTF was I thinking?!" lol typical cold feet before the excitement of actually starting kicks in. We're finally all moved and mostly unpacked, which was one of the most stressful things I've ever done, despite the fact that we've moved about 8 times in the past 9 years. Talk about UGH. The cats have settled in but the dog is a mess, keeps following me around constantly like "MOM WHY DID YOU CHANGE THE WORLD?!"

It's all going to be okay, I tell her. And myself. Constantly. Ohgawdtheloans...

Reactions: 8 users
Two months for me from today! and I move in 6 weeks! My mom made me start packing some things already. Which I'm sure I'll appreciate in a month when I'm not scrambling to get things done, but man, stop trying to get rid of me mom :laugh:

Also, I've started buying some of my supplies, and I bought my stethoscope today. I opted for the Cardio III in Lavender with the rainbow finish. Because I'm an adult. And adults need rainbow :D

Reactions: 3 users
We don't start until August 22nd, but my move-in date got rescheduled to August 21st, and our orientation begins on the 17th... yeah. Long story short, mom and I are shelling out for a hotel during orientation. Really bites. But, hey, at least it is working out okay. And the hotel is really close to the vet school, so that does make it easier.

I've purchased most of my books (just have Coulson on the way) and supplies already. Still not sure what I'm going to do about the stethoscope, though. The school is recommending either the Cardio III or Master Classic II; the latter is cheaper but apparently doesn't have quite the same clarity as the Cardio...? Any opinions? Does it really make enough of a difference to a student to justify the higher cost? I'm likely going to wait until my loan money comes in to buy the stethoscope either way, so I've got a little while to mull it over.

My first day is tomorrow and I can't friggin sleep!!

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone hasn't got the books yet, I would hold off and see what you really need. You can either ask an upperclassman or just wait and see. If there is a dissection guide (like Miller's) then you probably do need that. Some other books may not be totally necessary. I know it feels good to fill your bookcase with vet med books, but it's a balance with empty bank accounts.

For the stethoscope, I had a Classic II throughout school and it was fine. I got the Harvey Allyn Elite Tycos about four months ago and I do really like it. But I haven't dropped it, or crammed it in a white coat pocket, or left it laying somewhere random - these things all happened in 4th year. So keep that in mind when considering the $300 stethy.

I *did* leave bleach on it too long after a parvo patient and fade the logo... :(

Good luck!!!!

200_s.gif

We don't start until August 22nd, but my move-in date got rescheduled to August 21st, and our orientation begins on the 17th... yeah. Long story short, mom and I are shelling out for a hotel during orientation. Really bites. But, hey, at least it is working out okay. And the hotel is really close to the vet school, so that does make it easier.

I've purchased most of my books (just have Coulson on the way) and supplies already. Still not sure what I'm going to do about the stethoscope, though. The school is recommending either the Cardio III or Master Classic II; the latter is cheaper but apparently doesn't have quite the same clarity as the Cardio...? Any opinions? Does it really make enough of a difference to a student to justify the higher cost? I'm likely going to wait until my loan money comes in to buy the stethoscope either way, so I've got a little while to mull it over.

I have a master classic II already that I've had for a few years. I don't plan on getting a new one, unless I find that there really is a major difference compared to some of the cardiology ones.

Good luck, Rocky! Let us know how it goes! :D

If anyone hasn't got the books yet, I would hold off and see what you really need. You can either ask an upperclassman or just wait and see. If there is a dissection guide (like Miller's) then you probably do need that. Some other books may not be totally necessary. I know it feels good to fill your bookcase with vet med books, but it's a balance with empty bank accounts.

For the stethoscope, I had a Classic II throughout school and it was fine. I got the Harvey Allyn Elite Tycos about four months ago and I do really like it. But I haven't dropped it, or crammed it in a white coat pocket, or left it laying somewhere random - these things all happened in 4th year. So keep that in mind when considering the $300 stethy.

I *did* leave bleach on it too long after a parvo patient and fade the logo... :(
Good to know! I've also heard great things about the Harvey Elite and was considering that, too, but thought that that would probably be overkill when most practioners wind up purchasing another scope after school, anyway. Thanks for the awesome advice, TT! :)

Yeah, I'm waiting on all of my textbooks right now for the most part. I bought the anatomy atlas at the rec from a friend, sanders dictionary, and the dissection of the dog (required to have it in first class) used on Amazon for crazy cheap. But I don't plan on buying through the school anyway, so I'm going to wait and see for everything else. Really hoping I won't need them for the most part. I've never been a textbook person, so I'd rather save the money.

Last edited:
I was really torn between getting a Classic II and the Cardio III since it's like half the price. But my boss is always borrowing our associates or our techs cardio over his peds model because he prefers the sound, so that pushed me towards the cardio. I figured I'd probably end up upgrading eventually anyway, so why not.

I don't think I've gotten any required materials yet. I'm not even sure school has sent me anything.

Good luck, rocky! Hope you had an awesome first day! :)

As for stethoscopes, I've had a Classic II SE for some time, and it works well enough. In just a year, I've gotten much better at using it and have had enough practice at work to become fairly accurate at spotting murmurs that are grade III or higher. Without yet knowing how to actually auscult properly, I feel like the differences between the nicer steths are going to be fairly minor. So I'm not planning on upgrading to a Cardio III just yet.

I own a Classic, Classic II (they came out in lime green and I'm a two year old impulsive buyer at heart), and then a couple months back my partner bought me a super sexy black/smoke Cardio III. Lots of stethoscopes. To be honest the biggest difference in my ears is between the classic and classic II... the cardio and II have slightly different sounds to them, but I don't feel like I hear more or less murmurs/heart sounds with one or another, just kind of a different crispness? Almost a "feeling" difference to me vs. a true sound difference. I didn't feel like I was at any detriment during my Cardiology rotation with the II.

It's definitely not enough for me to always reach for the cardio, and I honestly usually pick one or the other depending on how professional of a setting I'm going to be in (the lime one is a little ink stained).

I don't think I've gotten any required materials yet. I'm not even sure school has sent me anything.

I feel you. Haven't done much beside the immunization sheet and the big sib/little sib survey (both of which are due tomorrow). I have even managed to lose my login info for the school website.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Guysssss I adopted a 2 year old border collie to be my crying pillow, cuddle companion, and adventure buddy throughout vet school (and beyond of course)! I'd love for him to have a vet school furry friend (for those who are attending Mizzou) !

I also started packing! Less than two months before school starts!!!

View attachment 205397 View attachment 205398

Guysssss I adopted a 2 year old border collie to be my crying pillow, cuddle companion, and adventure buddy throughout vet school (and beyond of course)! I'd love for him to have a vet school furry friend (for those who are attending Mizzou) !

I also started packing! Less than two months before school starts!!!
When you get down here, we have a dog parking group that meets anywhere from 1 to 4-5 times a week, so you can definitely get tons of furry friends for him!

When you get down here, we have a dog parking group that meets anywhere from 1 to 4-5 times a week, so you can definitely get tons of furry friends for him!
Omg that's awesome!! He loves playing with other dogs! What does this group typically do?

Omg that's awesome!! He loves playing with other dogs! What does this group typically do?
Usually we go to twin lakes dog park, which is a fairly large dog park with a fairly large lake/pond and a wooded area with some small hiking(ish) paths. it's usually fun and relaxing for us and tons of fun for the pups

Usually we go to twin lakes dog park, which is a fairly large dog park with a fairly large lake/pond and a wooded area with some small hiking(ish) paths. it's usually fun and relaxing for us and tons of fun for the pups

I WILL BE JOINING THIS GROUP! I want him to have the best time possible during our stay in Missouri!!!! I'm so excited!!

I WILL BE JOINING THIS GROUP! I want him to have the best time possible during our stay in Missouri!!!! I'm so excited!!
There's several groups that go to the dog parks here (you will get a FB post about it at least once or twice a week), so there will be lots of opportunities to meet some other pups and their owners here! :)

There's several groups that go to the dog parks here (you will get a FB post about it at least once or twice a week), so there will be lots of opportunities to meet some other pups and their owners here! :)

I'm so happy. I was afraid my big boy would be lonely :(. This makes me super happy. Thanks! I'll definitely attend atleast 2-3 times a week! Or more if time allows!

Last edited:
I'm feeling the imposter syndrome blues bad tonight. Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking I'm gonna fail out within a month?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm feeling the imposter syndrome blues bad tonight. Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking I'm gonna fail out within a month?

I constantly wake up in the morning thinking my acceptance letter was a dream. I have two modes: excited or overwhelmingly stressed.

You are far from the only one that feels that way.

Would it be weird if I cried at my coating? Like the way people tear up at graduations or weddings? Lol for some reason I'm scared I'm going to.

Last edited:
How was your first day @rockatiel? :)

Very long, lol. But fun. They're not jumping straight into material but theyre givng us lectures on academic and financial matters and letting us break the ice with our class!

Very long, lol. But fun. They're not jumping straight into material but theyre givng us lectures on academic and financial matters and letting us break the ice with our class!

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of schools starting this soon! Hope you had a great day!!

3 weeks left at work and 5 til the move!

Honestly, you could get through school just fine with a Fischer-Price stethoscope. This is one of those perpetual student questions.... So that leaves two strategies:

1) Buy a cheaper one now, knowing it will get abused during school, maybe lost, etc., and then upgrade when you get a chance to figure out what you like; or

2) Spring for a more expensive one now so you don't have to buy it down the road, but running the risk of it getting mangled/lost/whatever during the crazy of school.

Doesn't matter which strategy you adopt. Just pick one. But the one 'reason' you SHOULDN'T factor in is thinking the more expensive scope will help you learn more. It really won't.

Honestly, you could get through school just fine with a Fischer-Price stethoscope. This is one of those perpetual student questions.... So that leaves two strategies:

1) Buy a cheaper one now, knowing it will get abused during school, maybe lost, etc., and then upgrade when you get a chance to figure out what you like; or

2) Spring for a more expensive one now so you don't have to buy it down the road, but running the risk of it getting mangled/lost/whatever during the crazy of school.

Doesn't matter which strategy you adopt. Just pick one. But the one 'reason' you SHOULDN'T factor in is thinking the more expensive scope will help you learn more. It really won't.

Yup, I kept using my craptastic Littmann Classic II or whatever it was until I lost it on clinics. I actually had some people who borrowed that steth and then hand it back and go find theirs because it was that bad. Once I lost it about half way through 4th year, I decided I would buy something that I really wanted since I would be graduating soon... found a really good deal on a Harvey Elite.... I really like it, however what has helped me the most is just listening to everything, the more I listen, the better I get. It is definitely more a practice thing than an equipment thing.

Though if people are borrowing your stethoscope and then saying it is **** and handing it back to find their own, you probably should get a new one.. eventually. Maybe. Sometime.

I am now very tempted to get through school with a Fisher-Price stethoscope. I probably still have one somewhere.

It would be entirely worth it to go into your cardio rotation in 4th year with it around your neck.
"I was told by a very reliable source that this is all I need to be successful here. Now tell me, where do you keep the lollipops? I've been told they'll make our patients feel better after shots."

Reactions: 2 users