Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
speak for yourself. 810 here. :heckyeah: ;)

First year is much more intense than the rest. It will die down. I am always here for anyone that needs a confidence boost or to listen to rants though. Hang tough and the rewards will be most excellent.

Thanks for your advice. Had a rough day.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that the Facebook posting of their grade wasn't something I would do, but as far as I'm concerned if they did as well as they said in their post, they have every right to brag. Besides, I doubt they were really intending it for classmates. I know I use Facebook a ton to keep in touch with people back home. As for studying, even if you don't have to study much, if you aced the exam, you knew that material and followed through with it, so good for them. I mean yeah, I did great on one exam and not so great on another, so everyone is gonna have ups and downs. I was super proud when I got a good grade, did I go around bragging at school? No, but I was excited and posted here that maybe everything was gonna be okay, and vet school wasn't impossible. However I am way too exhausted both mentally and physically to even really listen other people talk about grades right now, so that also keeps me from caring.

What bothers me more is when you're trying to learn something in a group environment, such as labs, and one person somehow already knows it all super well from either previous courses or studying before class and then makes it crazy hard for you to learn the material because they keep shouting out the answers whenever you're trying to go over something and learn it yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
It was definitely private because I'm on the page too. I saw two classmates post, but they weren't in the class page.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that the Facebook posting of their grade wasn't something I would do, but as far as I'm concerned if they did as well as they said in their post, they have every right to brag. Besides, I doubt they were really intending it for classmates. I know I use Facebook a ton to keep in touch with people back home. As for studying, even if you don't have to study much, if you aced the exam, you knew that material and followed through with it, so good for them. I mean yeah, I did great on one exam and not so great on another, so everyone is gonna have ups and downs. I was super proud when I got a good grade, did I go around bragging at school? No, but I was excited and posted here that maybe everything was gonna be okay, and vet school wasn't impossible. However I am way too exhausted both mentally and physically to even really listen other people talk about grades right now, so that also keeps me from caring.

What bothers me more is when you're trying to learn something in a group environment, such as labs, and one person somehow already knows it all super well from either previous courses or studying before class and then makes it crazy hard for you to learn the material because they keep shouting out the answers whenever you're trying to go over something and learn it yourself.
Yeah, groups was always rough for me being extremely independent in my study methods. Good learning experience to adjust to all the, um, unique personalities. hehe

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, groups was always rough for me being extremely independent in my study methods. Good learning experience to adjust to all the, um, unique personalities. hehe

I just reallyyyyy need repetition, and to think and analyze why something is what it is, in order to memorize things. So for anatomy for example, I have to go over things more times to get it to stick than some other people do, so it's hard being with people who can look at it once, and have it. But that's when going into lab alone is the best part of your week because you can be super productive and get through it all individually. I feel like first semester has been equally as much about learning about myself as it has been actually learning new material. Plus I'm finding that I love subjects I thought I would hate, and hate subjects I thought I would love. Luckily I think we are pretty blessed with the professors we have.

One thing to keep in mind:

I personally found that as vet school went along, those that had.. uh.. intense personalities really seemed to mellow out. There's a lot of grade-talk and bragging and ridiculousness at the beginning but a lot of people calm down after the first semester/year. Give it some time to settle (AKA wait for vet school to crush their souls a bit :p), but in the meantime try not to listen to the boasting and do not compare yourself to anyone else. If you are passing and you are making it through that's all that matters.

Reactions: 4 users
These are also the same people who brag about how "rigorous" their undergrad education was and how they're destined for success, etc etc.

Oh FFS. :rolleyes: Most people grow out of this, but in the meantime, they're a bit insufferable. The only proper response to that is "cool story, brah" and a change of topic.

I don't fully understand posting about grades on Facebook, either. I get that people get excited and feel proud. It doesn't particularly bother me, but it usually comes off as attention-seeking and it strikes me as a bit uncouth. But I'm a bit of a boring stick-up-the-butt old bag when it comes to a lot of social media stuff, so I realize I'm probably super out of touch.

Ohhhh. lol got it. hahaha, lupin you creeper.
hiding.gif

Reactions: 5 users
I am excited about so many things. Exotics emergency team has just become a thing, along with opportunities to help with morning preparations in the exotics department (if only we had more open mornings!). We also just got our shift schedule for large animal emergency team. And Friday I get to play with goats and alpacas :D

Somewhere among all these fun things I'll find time to study but I saw a tiger yesterday so hanging around the exotics department seems way more important right now ;)

Reactions: 6 users
This weekend I get to sit in a kissing booth with a cute lil miniature horse :love:

Reactions: 2 users
I am excited about so many things. Exotics emergency team has just become a thing, along with opportunities to help with morning preparations in the exotics department (if only we had more open mornings!). We also just got our shift schedule for large animal emergency team. And Friday I get to play with goats and alpacas :D

Somewhere among all these fun things I'll find time to study but I saw a tiger yesterday so hanging around the exotics department seems way more important right now ;)
I suggest just skipping class and hanging out in exotics. It's what I did! :p

.../bad influence.

So jealous! I haven't made time to go hang out in the hospital at all yet, other than going to small animal rounds once.
This weekend I get to sit in a kissing booth with a cute lil miniature horse :love:
Sooo will people be kissing you or the horse?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've officially survived my first vet school anatomy exam! Three and a half hours, good lord... but I actually feel really good about how I did! :soexcited:

Reactions: 9 users
A single word can sum up my first vet school exam: humbling.

In all honesty, I don't think I did very well. Maybe I passed, maybe I didn't. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

I hate nerves. Hate them. And the thoracic cavity of our cadaver is basically a giant hematoma, which made lab about 10 times more frustrating and messy than it otherwise would've been. Also found out my husband has an extra business trip to go on, so I'm not going to see him at all until mid-October. We'll be missing my birthday (the big 30, which I'll be spending watching Netflix with my dog) and our anniversary. And exam hell week is right around there. I'm not looking forward to any of it.

I hate nerves. Hate them. And the thoracic cavity of our cadaver is basically a giant hematoma, which made lab about 10 times more frustrating and messy than it otherwise would've been. Also found out my husband has an extra business trip to go on, so I'm not going to see him at all until mid-October. We'll be missing my birthday (the big 30, which I'll be spending watching Netflix with my dog) and our anniversary. And exam hell week is right around there. I'm not looking forward to any of it.
can we PLEASE go out and celebrate your birthday?!?!?!!!
seriously, what are the chances that out of the two other penn 2020 students on here, I would end up lab partners with one and sitting right next to (in the very back row of the lecture hall) with the other :claps:

I had the kind of day where every single thing that can go wrong does, and enough things happened that I finally hit my breaking point and was sitting at my microscope in microanatomy desperately trying to save my notes on my tablet that was freaking out (I mean, FREAKING out) and started to cry in front of my professor.

I'm a little embarrassed. And crying into my chicken nuggets and mac n cheese that I'm letting myself have for dinner to make up for the day, while trying to study for my physiology quiz that I didn't get to study for because I was trying to deal with the tablet issues all day. And I forgot to eat lunch.

Just keep swimming, right?

Reactions: 3 users
My birthday is Sept 24th... 2 days before our biochem exam. If anyone is up for celebrating with me....

I suggest just skipping class and hanging out in exotics. It's what I did! :p

.../bad influence.
Due to my elected position it would be really bad if I didn't know what was going on in class since people ask me questions all the time. Heh.

So jealous! I haven't made time to go hang out in the hospital at all yet, other than going to small animal rounds once.
It's the best part! I've been to necropsy rounds a bunch, and large animal rounds a couple times. There aren't exotics rounds that I know of but they're cool with you just dropping by whenever (most parts of the hospital are that way). There tends to be at least one or two days a week where I have gaps in my schedule because of how labs work, so I try to use those for experience things since it's not usually worth it to drive home and lose my parking spot.

Soon there will be a bit of shelter volunteering too...my other great love :love:

Studying for exam #2, feeling those overwhelmed and anxious feels.

Today I decided to be more intentional about focusing on little victories each day, though, because I'm definitely starting to feel mired down with school/life.

So, here are today's little victories for Ceph:
1). Almost put scrubs on inside out this morning while in non-caffeinated state, but I caught it and walked out the door looking uber fly with right-side-out scrubs.
2). I sat by and am now friends with someone in my class that I hadn't talked to yet.
3). We did the heart in anatomy lab today, and it was cool and I understood what was going on.

I had the kind of day where every single thing that can go wrong does, and enough things happened that I finally hit my breaking point and was sitting at my microscope in microanatomy desperately trying to save my notes on my tablet that was freaking out (I mean, FREAKING out) and started to cry in front of my professor.

I'm a little embarrassed. And crying into my chicken nuggets and mac n cheese that I'm letting myself have for dinner to make up for the day, while trying to study for my physiology quiz that I didn't get to study for because I was trying to deal with the tablet issues all day. And I forgot to eat lunch.

We've all been there. Maybe not in quite the same way, but in our own ways we've been there. If your tablet freaks out, let it and just sit back and pay attention to the lecture that's happening. You have resources, the microanatomy website, the lecture notes, your classmates, upperclassmen who may or may not have attended that lecture, lecture capture, or other ways to get the information. Don't let technology stress you out.

Also if you get to the point where you just hate everything about class and being in lectures and feeling stressed all the time... it's okay to take a day off. Or a lecture hour off. Maybe don't totally skip labs or exams, but if you have lectures from 8-5 sometimes it's okay to throw on lecture capture at home and watch in your PJ's. Or just Netflix all day and catch up with the lectures at 2x speed later.

Do what works for you, but don't forget to take care of YOU first. You're more important than vet school any day of the week. And vet school becomes a lot better once you take the time for yourself. And eat food, it's important!

Finally, if you need to talk or destress or whatever I'm around :) Either via PM or wandering the hospital (or Facebook or email or etc.)

@kcoughli thanks :) It honestly had very little to do with the coursework, and I think if all of my minor disasters had been spread throughout the day, I would have handled it better - they just all were smashed into about an hour-long window and I got overwhelmed. Most of it was drama that as class rep, I had to figure out a way to mediate and I was pretty horrified that it even happened (long, long story). Today will be better!

I think I just crushed my physiology quiz, so hoping that kicks the day off on a positive note.

If you're class rep, brace yourself for a lot of petty crap over the next four years. Yes, some things will be reasonable, but a lot of it will be whiny BS (from classmates and also from some professors, unfortunately).

I've officially survived my first vet school anatomy exam! Three and a half hours, good lord... but I actually feel really good about how I did! :soexcited:
Lesson of the day... never get your hopes up.

Got a C, and the class average was 84. Urgh. :(

Onto the next thing, I'spose. Two more tests next week.

Sorry sandy :( good luck on your tests next week! and the important thing is you passed :)

We have two tests next week. Phys Monday, and anatomy Friday. I need an 80 to pass phys and a 73 to pass anatomy and I've decided that's my only goal right now haha

Phys is going to suck though. Monday I have class from 9-5, and our phys teacher is using our lunch break for our test. So my break isn't until 2 instead of 12, it's going to suck.

Phys is going to suck though. Monday I have class from 9-5, and our phys teacher is using our lunch break for our test.

That's terrible. I would be up in arms if someone told me I had to take a test instead of having lunch.
Or. I hope the professor doesn't mind a handful of pb&j stains on the exam form!

That's terrible. I would be up in arms if someone told me I had to take a test instead of having lunch.
Or. I hope the professor doesn't mind a handful of pb&j stains on the exam form!

Right?! We were all pissed when he told us. Especially because on Fridays we have his class at 1 and its our last class. They preschedule all the exams and the profs work together to figure out the schedule. He could have easily planned all exams (we only have 3 during class weeks) for Fridays where we don't have anatomy tests, but instead all of them are on Mondays :(

repeat after me:

c=dvm

A C is nothing to be ashamed of in vet school. Now is the time to alter any study methods that don't work so you can do better next time.

You'll find that as you go along you're expectations might start to change. I have a great friend who came out of her first exam crying at a high C, and then we hugged and whooped and danced during finals week when she got a low C. You stop worrying about grades and focus on passing.

The thing to remember is that a C truly is good enough. A C will allow you to become a competent vet, and one of my mentors once told me that they wouldn't allow you to graduate if a C wasn't good enough.

Keep your head up!

(If organic chemistry taught me anything . . . ) Don't let how other people do affect how you feel about your own exam. You were happy with how you felt after it, don't let number games drag you down. :)

You got it - just keep swimming. If you are <actually> getting sub-par grades that put you at risk of not moving forward, then you need to get in touch with the dean's office immediately. They'll engage and start helping. Guaranteed.

If you are struggling with the load but getting adequate grades, then you just need to keep swimming. Take regular time off to exercise, go do something fun, whatever. Disengage your brain from vet med for a short-but-real period of time, so that when you re-engage you are more efficient and effective at studying. If you just drown yourself in it, you'll become horribly inefficient.

I am totally on board with kcoughli's advice - it won't make or break anything to give yourself a day off. Just make sure it's a day you aren't missing anything critical. A classmate and I used to go down the road to Stout's and have apps and beer and watch lecture capture real-time - being able to MST3K that shiz made the lectures way more memorable and fun.

Don't be embarrassed about losing it in front of people. It happens.

You'll find your stride - trust the process.

And eat lunch.

I am in love with alpacas.

Meanwhile, lol our first anatomy exam is in a week, send help
Just finished testing on the forelimb, what are y'all covering first?

Just finished testing on the forelimb, what are y'all covering first?
We only have this exam, one in november, and then the final two weeks later. SO this exam is bones, muscles of forelimb and hindlimb, some of the skull, vertebrae, muscles of the neck, epaxial and hypaxial muscles...I think that's it?

We only have this exam, one in november, and then the final two weeks later. SO this exam is bones, muscles of forelimb and hindlimb, some of the skull, vertebrae, muscles of the neck, epaxial and hypaxial muscles...I think that's it?
Oh, cool, that's exactly what our first exam here was on.

I know you'll do great, WZ! :)

Oh, cool, that's exactly what our first exam here was on.

I know you'll do great, WZ! :)
Thanks :) The good thing about having everything on my tablet is that I can do stuff like help out with our class bake sale tomorrow and study at the same time. Because i'm pretty good on identifying stuff but the attachments and things just leave my brain...

Our first anatomy exam is all the muscles + bones of the entire dog, too:(

I have all the muscles down and most of their actions, and feel decent about forelimb origins and insertions. Hindlimb....

Supposedly it tests major muscles, bones and actions (they're big in clinical significance), so I feel okay about at least passing. Sill nervous though!

Yep, we're pretty much done with the musculoskeletal system; moving on to the viscera next week!

Our first anatomy exam is all the muscles + bones of the entire dog, too:(

I have all the muscles down and most of their actions, and feel decent about forelimb origins and insertions. Hindlimb....

Supposedly it tests major muscles, bones and actions (they're big in clinical significance), so I feel okay about at least passing. Sill nervous though!
Urgh, that darn pelvic limb... I had the worst time keeping the origins/insertions/courses for the crus flexors and extensors straight. On the antebrachium, they weren't too bad.

Yep, we're pretty much done with the musculoskeletal system; moving on to the viscera next week!

Urgh, that darn pelvic limb... I had the worst time keeping the origins/insertions/courses for the crus flexors and extensors straight. On the antebrachium, they weren't too bad.

The antebrachium and I are bbfs. For the most parts it's super easy to tell what they do and where they go based on there names. Hindlimb? Pffft, nope haha

Love the hind limb! Antebrachium, nah, that was hell.

I definitely learned the muscles themselves quicker on the hind limb, but the antebrachium muscles are just named so nicely for figuring out everything else haha

We destroyed our iliopsoas and external obturator while cutting through the adductor so I haven't actually seen what those look like yet. Whoops :whistle:

Our caudal gluteal artery and nerve are completely nonexistent due to dissection mishaps. Oops.