Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got some very sweet celebratory/congrats emails from a couple of my mentors today. I look up to them tremendously as the type of veterinarian I want to be someday, so their kind words really meant a lot to me. Lots of warm fuzzies. :biglove:

Still wrapping my mind around the fact that I'm in and actually going to be a vet... It feels so surreal!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Yeah, the debt is the scariest part! For this reason a lot of people I know only applied to our IS. They take 65 residents out of the 89 seats. It's weird because I was under the impression that IS was always the cheapest option but looking at the VIN map, I find out that NCSU is cheaper than a lot of schools. In addition, even for IS Penn is the most expensive American school. And Ross was wayyyyyy higher than I thought it was, though much of that was cost of living on the islands, which I'm sure can be managed. It's a really neat map that factors in cost of living and tuiton with very recent data. I can provide a link need be!

yes! I would love that link please!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully the class of 2020 is battling senioritis and rocking out the last semester. I hope you all can have a summer to enjoy before vet school starts. I know I won't have one so you all should live it up!

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully the class of 2020 is battling senioritis and rocking out the last semester. I hope you all can have a summer to enjoy before vet school starts. I know I won't have one so you all should live it up!

I bought about picking up some summer work, but spending all my time at the beach sounds much more appealing.

Reactions: 5 users
Senioritis is hitting so hard

Reactions: 6 users
Thank God I graduated in December :shifty:

Reactions: 1 user
Just saw this thread! Congratulations to all the 2020's!!!!!

Thank God I graduated in December :shifty:
I'm actually pretty grateful that I waited to apply, after graduating last spring.
I already had bad senioritis to begin with. I imagine it would be several times worse knowing that I have somewhere to attend in the fall. :rolleyes:

My bf's family is planning a Mediterranean cruise for early July, so I'll probably leave my job just before then, and after the cruise just chill for a month before school starts. Try to stay healthy, too.

My bf's family is planning a Mediterranean cruise for early July, so I'll probably leave my job just before then, and after the cruise just chill for a month before school starts. Try to stay healthy, too.

I think the healthy part is really important...I'm working on getting in shape before the fall start so I have more stamina to rely on during classes.

I think the healthy part is really important...I'm working on getting in shape before the fall start so I have more stamina to rely on during classes.
I'm paranoid now because of last year ;) but certainly getting an exercise routine down is a good idea as well. Been working on that. Eventually I work on the healthier eating thing too. Much easier to figure that out and getting used to it now while I'm working part time than it will be during full time school!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm paranoid now because of last year ;) but certainly getting an exercise routine down is a good idea as well. Been working on that. Eventually I work on the healthier eating thing too. Much easier to figure that out and getting used to it now while I'm working part time than it will be during full time school!

Definitely agree. Habits take time to set (healthy habits even more so). I'm trying to get them locked in now so I can rely on them, rather than have them fail and backslide. Which...has happened too many times. ._.

I can finally post in this thread! Woohoo!

As far as the senioritis goes, I have 3 exams next week that I now care 0% about after hearing that I got in. Uh oh!

Reactions: 2 users
I very intentionally planned for my last semester to be full of relatively easy classes (aquatic ecology, evolution, medical terminology...) for this reason. Senioritis is hitting me pretty hard!

Same! I planned it so I'm only taking two classes (Physics 2 and Physiology). The amount of effort I'm willing to put in this semester probably wouldn't fly in any other classes :p

As far as the senioritis goes, I have 3 exams next week that I now care 0% about after hearing that I got in. Uh oh!

Same! I planned it so I'm only taking two classes (Physics 2 and Physiology). The amount of effort I'm willing to put in this semester probably wouldn't fly in any other classes :p

Don't forget, you still have to pass them and your classes LOL

I failed a class after I was accepted. It was a dumb lit class (usually I loved my lit classes but this one was just...bleh), but still. Don't be me.
Did the school say anything to you?

Do not fall for this trap!! I did nothing last weekend, and this week I took 2 tests and two more to go. In between my biochem and physics exam I have to go to my LSU interview... And my thesis is due in two weeks and I had to delete most of my final chapter. Really wish I had been more productive. I'm on he verge of crying about every 0.2 seconds. Class of 2021... If you are out there, say no to 20 hours in your final semester. Just don't do it.

Do not fall for this trap!! I did nothing last weekend, and this week I took 2 tests and two more to go. In between my biochem and physics exam I have to go to my LSU interview... And my thesis is due in two weeks and I had to delete most of my final chapter. Really wish I had been more productive. I'm on he verge of crying about every 0.2 seconds. Class of 2021... If you are out there, say no to 20 hours in your final semester. Just don't do it.

I am sorry to hear that you are so swamped. It sounds like my last semester when I was an undergrad. I was enrolled for 21 credits with Biochem, Cell Bio, and Micro II all at the same time (hardest classes at our university). Plus, I was completing a research project in biophysics. I know how hard that can be. I am currently writing my thesis for my Master's, taking a class, drafting my abstracts for a conference and the journal that is publishing my research, and trying to keep up with the seminars I have to give. Unfortunately, I will be doing this until the end of July so I will not have much of a mental break before vet school. I'm remaining positive and getting through it. Don't give up! You can do it and finish your degree strong!

Thanks guys... I'll get there. I've never let stressful times stop me before. It's obviously what got me this far!

Thanks guys... I'll get there. I've never let stressful times stop me before. It's obviously what got me this far!

It is definitely good practice in managing stress for vet school :p

Congrats to all of you joining our awesome class! :biglove:

Anyone having trouble deciding on a school? If it were just me - single, with no family obligations - I'd go for the cheapest school, hands down. But my situation is pretty complicated, and location matters a lot. Each of the two realistic options for us has its own serious negatives, and I'm kind of stuck unless we win the lottery. Being an adult sucks sometimes.

I'm in the same boat. The cheapest option is a disaster for my husband's career, the best for my husband is the most expensive and a school I'm not really excited about. And my favorite school is somewhere in the middle. Decisions, decisions...

I'm in a quandary because I absolutely loved the one OOS school I applied to and was accepted. It felt like home to me. However, I still have to interview at my IS. If I get into both, it'll be very difficult for me to make the decision that's best for my future in terms of debt, but I'm willing to do it. My IS is a great place too and I'm sure I'll love it. You can feel comfortable somewhere for 4 years and just as uncomfortable paying back the extra 100K for next few decades, I'm afraid :(

Last edited:
I think I was taking 18 credits my last semester. A couple of those classes were "for fun". I don't know what the hell I thought I was doing.

I think I was taking 18 credits my last semester. A couple of those classes were "for fun". I don't know what the hell I thought I was doing.

I'm taking a lot of upper level science right now. I usually handle those very well but this semester, I'm just ready to be done. Took a virology exam today though and I think I aced it!! :D

I'm taking a lot of upper level science right now. I usually handle those very well but this semester, I'm just ready to be done. Took a virology exam today though and I think I aced it!! :D
One of the classes I was taking for fun was immunology :love: Wish I'd had the chance to take virology, but I had already finished my bio degree at that point and was mostly finishing up my English requirements. Which, incidentally, only halfway worked out...got my degree but didn't end up with the lit minor.

I'm in a quandary because I absolutely loved the one OOS school I applied to and was accepted. It felt like home to me. However, I still have to interview at my IS. If I get into both, it'll be very difficult for me to make the decision that's best for my future in terms of debt, but I'm willing to do it. My IS is a great place too and I'm sure I'll love it. You can feel comfortable somewhere for 4 years and just as uncomfortable paying back the extra 100K for next few decades, I'm afraid :(
Hands down take the cheaper option. Make the best of the time you have at your IS. You'll find a part of home there too. 100k in debt is HUGE. I looked at 5 schools. I applied to 1... There were aspects of every school that I liked better than my IS... but I knew I wasn't willing to pay OOS tuition.

Edit: There were also aspects of my IS school that made it hands down the best choice for me outside of money... I had already created a network here outside of school and that to me was very important since my family lives a 12+ hour drive away.

It's gonna take me 10 years to pay off my student debt, which is less than $100k at this point. So you are willing to take on my entire student loan debt in order to attend a specific university?

Just adding some perspective.

Hands down take the cheaper option. Make the best of the time you have at your IS. You'll find a part of home there too. 100k in debt is HUGE. I looked at 5 schools. I applied to 1... There were aspects of every school that I liked better than my IS... but I knew I wasn't willing to pay OOS tuition.

Edit: There were also aspects of my IS school that made it hands down the best choice for me outside of money... I had already created a network here outside of school and that to me was very important since my family lives a 12+ hour drive away.

Yeah I'm for sure going too. I had to make a similar decision for undergrad. I think I just carry this baggage of wanting to go to a dream school but finances always get in the way. It's just depressing to me.

It's gonna take me 10 years to pay off my student debt, which is less than $100k at this point. So you are willing to take on my entire student loan debt in order to attend a specific university?

Oh no, I'm definitely saying I'll go to my IS given the chance. It's just a little depressing to have to give up a spot at a place I really loved.

Oh no, I'm definitely saying I'll go to my IS given the chance. It's just a little depressing to have to give up a spot at a place I really loved.
I wish I had gone to a cheaper undergrad instead of a top 5 school for my major. I never dreamed I would be back getting a professional degree in something completely different, so having done it the other way....you aren't missing much. It's only your dream school because you've said it is. Make your IS your dream school :)

I never really understood the whole "dream school" thing, especially when there's (usually) such a big jump in cost. You're going to spend so much time inside a classroom, and will be able to do rotations in whatever areas you want...what's the big deal?

I wish I had gone to a cheaper undergrad instead of a top 5 school for my major. I never dreamed I would be back getting a professional degree in something completely different, so having done it the other way....you aren't missing much. It's only your dream school because you've said it is. Make your IS your dream school :)

I like your perspective a lot.

I never really understood the whole "dream school" thing, especially when there's (usually) such a big jump in cost. You're going to spend so much time inside a classroom, and will be able to do rotations in whatever areas you want...what's the big deal?

I think it has to do with the fact that you may just feel really comfortable somewhere, as I did. But I know that is very short sighted. As I said, it's only 4 years. But it's decades of extra cost. I think in my situation I just need to realize that people would probably actually kill for a spot at any school period, so it's probably a bit selfish of me to desire one school when I know there is a potential for a cheaper alternative. Another lesson for class of 2021 today :)

I think it has to do with the fact that you may just feel really comfortable somewhere, as I did. But I know that is very short sighted. As I said, it's only 4 years. But it's decades of extra cost. I think in my situation I just need to realize that people would probably actually kill for a spot at any school period, so it's probably a bit selfish of me to desire one school when I know there is a potential for a cheaper alternative. Another lesson for class of 2021 today :)

Ah, okay. And not selfish, just human :)

And either way, I'll be attending an SEC school, which is automatically a dream, I know. ;)

One of the classes I was taking for fun was immunology :love: Wish I'd had the chance to take virology, but I had already finished my bio degree at that point and was mostly finishing up my English requirements. Which, incidentally, only halfway worked out...got my degree but didn't end up with the lit minor.

I'm just seeing this. I'm in both and they're so fun and interesting right now. Immuno is slightly harder to me, but the professor gives us a lot of detail. I took that exam yesterday but I don't feel as confident about it as I do virology. We will see!

You asked how I'm doing. I'm doing pretty well, thanks!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got my grade back on biochem exam that I thought I kicked ass on. 69.7%, class mean 61% high 97%. I haven't gotten the exam back yet, so don't know what I did wrong, but normally if I do that bad, I know it. Tiny part of me thinks prof made a mistake entering grades. Of course, I have another biochem exam monday so I won't be able to see what I did wrong before I take exam 2.
Senorities is hitting hard.

Just got my grade back on biochem exam that I thought I kicked ass on. 69.7%, class mean 61% high 97%. I haven't gotten the exam back yet, so don't know what I did wrong, but normally if I do that bad, I know it. Tiny part of me thinks prof made a mistake entering grades. Of course, I have another biochem exam monday so I won't be able to see what I did wrong before I take exam 2.

Oof, I'm sorry about your exam. :/ Hopefully it was just a mistake on the prof's part!

I second the senioritis comment. It's so rough. How is everyone dealing with it? I've been drinking too much wine and taking too many baths hahaha

Look into it, but always be polite and non-accusatory. The mis-entering of grades has happened to me several times (whether it be mixing up the digits of my actual grade, or me getting the grade of the person above/below me on the class roster). I usually just showed up during office hours asking for more feedback. It usually was a pretty quick "Oh, wait, hold on...." kind of thing. If it isn't you can still get valuable feedback.

Look into it, but always be polite and non-accusatory. The mis-entering of grades has happened to me several times (whether it be mixing up the digits of my actual grade, or me getting the grade of the person above/below me on the class roster). I usually just showed up during office hours asking for more feedback. It usually was a pretty quick "Oh, wait, hold on...." kind of thing. If it isn't you can still get valuable feedback.
Thanks, that what I am planning on. I teach supplemental instruction for the prof gen chem class, so I know him fairly well. He is not the type who admits mistakes easily/ever, so I will just have to be careful mentioning it to him, unless it is clearly a mistake when I pick up exam. Really hoping he mixed up the digits - I'd love a 96.7 %.

Oof, I'm sorry about your exam. :/ Hopefully it was just a mistake on the prof's part!

I second the senioritis comment. It's so rough. How is everyone dealing with it? I've been drinking too much wine and taking too many baths hahaha

I've been dealing with senioritis about the same way... Wine, puppy and calf snuggles, and pretending I don't actually have a huge amount of things I need to get done until a few hours before they need to be done :whistle:

Thanks, that what I am planning on. I teach supplemental instruction for the prof gen chem class, so I know him fairly well. He is not the type who admits mistakes easily/ever, so I will just have to be careful mentioning it to him, unless it is clearly a mistake when I pick up exam. Really hoping he mixed up the digits - I'd love a 96.7 %.
I actually had a prof put my grade in wrong on a final exam while I was in undergrad which altered my final grade in the class substantially. I had an A in the class overall and got a 96 on the final. She put in a 69 on the final which really messed up my course grade. Luckily, I asked her and she looked into it and realized her mistake. Even though the final grade was submitted, she filed the load of paperwork to get the grade on the transcript changed. Moral of the story, it helps to double check. However, as already stated, just be polite about it.

Got a 78% on a microbiology exam today #senioritis #iactuallystudiedmybuttoffandimsad

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app