Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pretty sure my brain melted and went down the shower drain. Thanks, biochem!

My dog is stretched out at my feet and snoring, and I have an exam in the morning. So jealous. I wish I were a dog. Then people would feed me all the time and tell me how cute I am, and I could sleep most of the day, and no one would care if I couldn't explain the tangled web that is blood coagulation because they'd just be proud that I didn't poop on the carpet.
Oh hey, I have a physio exam in about an hour and a half on blood things, including coagulation. Boy am I grateful for multiple choice in times like these.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have our first clinical skills exam on Thursday... 10 bell ringer stations where we have to complete certain tasks like haltering a cow, small animal restraint, sheep tipping etc etc... Super nervous! We don't get a lot of opportunity to practice some of the skills after we learn them so I'm sure I'm going to completely brain-blank at least 3 times haha.

Vet school is winning the battle this week. I feel like such an idiot and it's only Monday.

We have our first clinical skills exam on Thursday... 10 bell ringer stations where we have to complete certain tasks like haltering a cow, small animal restraint, sheep tipping etc etc... Super nervous! We don't get a lot of opportunity to practice some of the skills after we learn them so I'm sure I'm going to completely brain-blank at least 3 times haha.

That test was bonkers. I definitely didn't study enough, but I knew that. Oh well, on to the next one. Bacteria for daaaayyysss...

Vet school is winning the battle this week. I feel like such an idiot and it's only Monday.

Studying for this anatomy test making me want to curl up and die. :(

the-Help_thumb8.jpg

:biglove:

Reactions: 5 users
Studying for this anatomy test making me want to curl up and die. :(
Take a break! go for a walk or run or some other kind of exercise, let the focused mode of your brain shut off for half an hour, then come back to it.

You can substitute a nap, an episode of a tv show, or whatever else in there that lets your brain relax, but I find exercise to have the most widespread benefits.

Reactions: 1 users
Recieved the lowest grade I have ever received in my life today. So glad we only have to sit in the lecture hall for two years here. I don't think I could do a third.

Recieved the lowest grade I have ever received in my life today. So glad we only have to sit in the lecture hall for two years here. I don't think I could do a third.
New achievement! :highfive:

I know it wasn't one you were trying for, but you still win a new award of life! Good job, now keep going, you awesome thing you!

(Sorry, just excited right now and I like you guys. You deserve cheering in the ups and the downs.:soexcited:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Take a break! go for a walk or run or some other kind of exercise, let the focused mode of your brain shut off for half an hour, then come back to it.

You can substitute a nap, an episode of a tv show, or whatever else in there that lets your brain relax, but I find exercise to have the most widespread benefits.
I actually decided to call it a night a little early. I haven't been sleeping well at all this past week or so and I'm just exhausted... I tried to study for a few hours but found I was getting nowhere with it because I was on the verge of passing out. I studied a LOT (as in, 12+ hours) this weekend so I don't feel too guilty about calling it quits for tonight. And if I've learned anything during these first couple of months in vet school, it's that quality of study time is far more important than quantity--if I can't get my brain to want to seriously focus, then that time is about as useful as not studying at all.

I just can't wait for the next two weeks to be over.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually decided to call it a night a little early. I haven't been sleeping well at all this past week or so and I'm just exhausted... I tried to study for a few hours but found I was getting nowhere with it because I was on the verge of passing out. I studied a LOT (as in, 12+ hours) this weekend so I don't feel too guilty about calling it quits for tonight. And if I've learned anything during these first couple of months in vet school, it's that quality of study time is far more important than quantity--if I can't get my brain to want to seriously focus, then that time is about as useful as not studying at all.

I just can't wait for the next two weeks to be over.
Yeah I usually call it quits if my brain just can't focus, because it's basically a waste of time at that point.

We're getting into another little test cycle here.
Monday - BacT (this is after Halloween party on Friday and large animal symposium on saturday, so that should go well...)
Friday - Advanced Anatomy
Monday - Immunology
and then a couple more Monday exams before Thanksgiving

So not as bad as Black Septober but it just means we're inching closer and closer to December and finals week :barf:

Yeah I usually call it quits if my brain just can't focus, because it's basically a waste of time at that point.

We're getting into another little test cycle here.
Monday - BacT (this is after Halloween party on Friday and large animal symposium on saturday, so that should go well...)
Friday - Advanced Anatomy
Monday - Immunology
and then a couple more Monday exams before Thanksgiving

So not as bad as Black Septober but it just means we're inching closer and closer to December and finals week :barf:
Urgh, that's gross. This past month has been really bad for us in terms of tests (a classmate counted and told me that there's been 18 tests in the past eight weeks), but the silver lining is that after radiology tomorrow, anatomy Thursday, and histo on Monday (and histo lab on Tuesday), we are free from tests until finals. I can't wait to finally be able to take a breath and actually catch up with the material. Almost there, almost there...

Urgh, that's gross. This past month has been really bad for us in terms of tests (a classmate counted and told me that there's been 18 tests in the past eight weeks), but the silver lining is that after radiology tomorrow, anatomy Thursday, and histo on Monday (and histo lab on Tuesday), we are free from tests until finals. I can't wait to finally be able to take a breath and actually catch up with the material. Almost there, almost there...
18....EIGHT-****ING-TEEN
ow. my brain hurts just thinking about it. We only have that many including finals for the whole semester. Though I guess there are benefits to more tests in terms of each one not counting as much for your grade, gives you some wiggle room if you mess up on a couple.

We have 25 for the whole semester excluding finals. And only 4 of those to go! But our semester is 7 months long so ya know.

Figures that the two hour histo lecture I skipped is the one that's a 104 slide Powerpoint.

Figures that the two hour histo lecture I skipped is the one that's a 104 slide Powerpoint.
This must be a common thing in histo. We had almost 300 slides on bones and cartilage over 3 50 minute lectures.

We had our class Halloween party last Thursday since we didn't have an exam last week, but we have an anatomy lecture exam this Friday, and anatomy lab on Halloween. :( I keep forgetting that Halloween hasn't actually happened yet!

Then next Thursday and Friday we have microanatomy lab and lecture exams, a physiology exam the 11th, and then we just coast until Thanksgiving break! Let's not even talk about December yet. We have 22 exams this semester (including finals) and we're currently halfway through, 18 tests in 8 weeks sounds truly miserable.

Spent a good 4 extra hours in the anatomy lab with some classmates going over things for this test tomorrow... feeling a little bit more confident, but still not great. Oi.

On the flip side, though, I did get an A on the radiology test. So that's good. But the class is only worth 1 credit, so... :meh:

I just ate half a roll of cookie dough. Part of me feels disgusting, the other part of me has no regrets.

Reactions: 9 users
I know you will all be upset, but I am reusing 2015's Halloween costume this year because I didn't have enough time to make a new one. Tis ok since it's epic and no one here has seen it.

Next year I will be Lieutenant Dan, Corky will be Forrest Gump, and my chair will be Jennnnay

Reactions: 8 users
I know you will all be upset, but I am reusing 2015's Halloween costume this year because I didn't have enough time to make a new one. Tis ok since it's epic and no one here has seen it.

Next year I will be Lieutenant Dan, Corky will be Forrest Gump, and my chair will be Jennnnay

I remember 2014 because we had class together.... what was 2015 again? I just remember a smoke machine was involved.

the genie lamp, right?

Reactions: 7 users
I remember 2014 because we had class together.... what was 2015 again? I just remember a smoke machine was involved.
He was the Genie and his pup was Aladdin. Smoke machine, music, much awesome involved. He made a video and posted it last year.

Got my lowest grade so far on that physio exam, which was not unexpected. I already know it was just that I didn't spend enough time with the material (don't take several nights off before a test, kids), which was already more difficult than the material for the prior two tests. So brushing it off and moving on. Not that the bact exam will go any better but that's just how that class is!

Just got out of my third anatomy test (cardiovascular stuff)... due to a Blackboard glitch, I already know that I got an 80% on the lecture/theory part, which is an improvement. But I am pretty confident that I failed the lab/practical again, despite feeling like I knew the information much better this time around. I spent so long at one station that I didn't even notice that I hadn't been to one whole part of the room yet, with five minutes left to go. So basically, I turned the sheet in with, like, seven blank answers.

I felt so, so confident going in, too. I just don't understand vet school. I really, sincerely hope that this didn't doom me to failing the class. :(

Starting to lose steam... :(

Got my lowest grade so far on that physio exam, which was not unexpected. I already know it was just that I didn't spend enough time with the material (don't take several nights off before a test, kids), which was already more difficult than the material for the prior two tests. So brushing it off and moving on. Not that the bact exam will go any better but that's just how that class is!

I just... I can't do this.

I creep on this thread all the time and just want to say that every time you 2020-ers post, I'm always rooting for you. Ya'll are awesome and you can do it! That is all.

Reactions: 6 users
Not quoting it all because I don't believe it. I know people have posted good advice in the past, so I won't rehash that part. If you want to talk or rant or vent or anything feel free to shoot me (or I'm sure a lot of us here) a PM. Remember, your school admitted you because they believed in you and your ability. You can do it, just have to figure out how to make it work for you.

Reactions: 8 users
I feel like the only people who know how I feel are you guys... but even I don't know how I feel. I study study study, feel like I know the material, and then take the tests. During the tests, I panic because I skip about half of the questions because I don't know the answer. I leave the test feeling awful, depressed, sad, confused, because I can't handle not knowing. How will I be a good doctor if I don't know the science behind my diagnoses and treatments? I know I'll be a good vet and have good people skills and love all the animals and treat their issues and blah blah blah, but how will I be a good DOCTOR of veterinary medicine if I don't know this stuff? How will I CURE patients of their diseases if I don't know how the disease is working?

And then I get my grade back. And everything I thought I didn't know, I apparently did know, or at least did a good job at guessing correctly. I don't know how to explain it. I feel crappy because I SHOULD be glad that I'm doing well in a really hard program... but I'm not. I'm disappointed in myself because I feel like I don't know it. I can't possibly know it all, but I feel like I should know more than I do... and ugh. Idk. I just don't know. I know it's silly but I don't know how to stop this way of thinking. Whatever I'm doing is working to get me good grades, and I'm NOT just memorizing stuff... I feel confident and like I know it. But then I don't. Idk :(

To start with, I think any speculations on whether or not anyone on this board will be a good DVM are just silly. we would have never been admitted if someone thought we would be bad vets. There are no such flukes in a competitive admissions process.

Secondly, did you sit outside the door and survey all 100+ people on how they felt about the exam? I am willing to guarantee you there are at least 10 other people in your class who felt just as you did.

Reactions: 6 users
Thirdly, a good number of people proclaim things were easy or that they did well when they really weren't to make themselves feel better or not feel out of place. I wouldn't put stock into it.