Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maze Runner 1-3: Thought they were okay... But not the best.
Red Rising 1-3: Absolutely love this trilogy; I was blowing up my Snapchat every time something happened. Probably my second/third favorite series of all time.
Codex of Alera 3 (currently on 4): Think this is awesome as well. Finished 3 yesterday and got started on 4 and already on page 130.

I don't have a goal. But I'm not going to slow down any time soon. lol. The next one will be The Martian.

I've been in the mood for a good book, just googled Red Rising, definitely going to start reading this!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Red Rising 1-3: Absolutely love this trilogy; I was blowing up my Snapchat every time something happened. Probably my second/third favorite series of all time.
Codex of Alera 3 (currently on 4): Think this is awesome as well. Finished 3 yesterday and got started on 4 and already on page 130.

I don't have a goal. But I'm not going to slow down any time soon. lol. The next one will be The Martian.
The Martian is fantastic. Maybe my favorite book I read last year.

The Martian is really good and I highly recommend it.

EDIT: Warden beat me to it! :ninja:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have...60 something physical books plus maybe a dozen ebooks that I haven't read. So I like setting goals :laugh:
I read...
Batman: Knightfall volume 1-3 : recommend to any Batman fans out there, especially volume 1. Actually recommend to everyone. Read Batman comics!
Resurrection by Arwen Elys Dayton: Super cool sci-fi with archaeology and stuff
The Phantom of the Opera :love:
Spark volume 4: a collection of stories and poems by one of the publications I've submitted to before
Insomnia by Stephen King: this got me excited to run a dark tower WW again, because of all the references. Oddly enough it dragged in the middle though, which is unusual for King in my experience.
And now I'm reading Slaughterhouse-Five

I've been in the mood for a good book, just googled Red Rising, definitely going to start reading this!!

Highly recommend! Too bad we won't be at the same school, or else I'd just let you borrow mine. lol. All three are out now, so you can just marathon them! Let me know when you get to crazy spots!

The shining by Stephen King is one of my favorites... It makes it impossible to watch the movie though because it's horrendous compared to the book!

Reactions: 2 users
The shining by Stephen King is one of my favorites... It makes it impossible to watch the movie though because it's horrendous compared to the book!
I always think of that book and movie as being separate. Both good in their own right, but incomparable to each other.

Reactions: 3 users
A series I enjoyed but didn't think much of at first glance was Eon by Allison Goodman

I'm a huge fan of the Outlander series so far! (and the TV series too) I'm a binge reader though so I don't read while I'm in school or else I will not do anything until I finish the book...

I tend to binge read too. The worst book for that habit is House of Leaves. I wouldn't let that thing out of my sight while reading it. I slept with it within arms reach.

Reactions: 1 users
:love: did you read Doctor Sleep?
I tend to binge read too. The worst book for that habit is House of Leaves. I wouldn't let that thing out of my sight while reading it. I slept with it within arms reach.
Omg I loved that book. Took me forever to finish it because I was in one of my busiest semesters of school but i took it with me everywhere. Best birthday present ever.

I've been so bad at making time for reading the past few years. Hopefully that will change this summer! I've been slowly working my way through the Parasol Protectorate series lately. It's set in an alternate history steampunk version of Victorian England where vampires and werewolves are accepted in society, and the main character is a woman who has no soul. I know everyone is over the vampire/werewolf trend by now, but it's just amazing and hilarious.

Members don't see this ad :)

Funny stuff - I had today off and instead of working on one of the many upcoming homework assignments I have due I instead decided to finish reading the prequel to the Maze Runner trilogy. After spending Spring Break and last weekend reading the trilogy. Same thoughts on it though, okay but not great.

The Martian was much better. I listened to that one on audio book and it was far more entertaining.

Now that it's getting warmer, I want to make myself go outside and read in my hammock at least once a week.

Now that it's getting warmer, I want to make myself go outside and read in my hammock at least once a week.
We have a fire pit in our patio. I've taken to lighting a fire and studying after work.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I've been so bad at making time for reading the past few years. Hopefully that will change this summer! I've been slowly working my way through the Parasol Protectorate series lately. It's set in an alternate history steampunk version of Victorian England where vampires and werewolves are accepted in society, and the main character is a woman who has no soul. I know everyone is over the vampire/werewolf trend by now, but it's just amazing and hilarious.
Steampunk :love: that setting is why Infernal Devices >>>> The Mortal Instruments for me

Offbeat sci-fi/mystery book recommendation - 14 by Peter Clines. It's weird as all get out, but definitely kept me interested, and it's kind of fun.

I tried to read Maze Runner but could never get into it.

I officially told my boss today that my last week at work will be the week before I leave for the cruise. So...just 2 and a half months left. Woah.
I leave my job in a little over a month to have ankle surgery. I've been with that clinic for five years. It's definitely a weird feeling.

I can like them separately too like @katashark because well, King and Kubrick are both masters of their given craft.

BUT. The topiaries are the effing creepiest part of the whole flipping book and they weren't even in the movie. SO. The movie is good, but the book is borderline poop your pants territory at times.

Reactions: 5 users
I can like them separately too like @katashark because well, King and Kubrick are both masters of their given craft.

BUT. The topiaries are the effing creepiest part of the whole flipping book and they weren't even in the movie. SO. The movie is good, but the book is borderline poop your pants territory at times.

OMG YES! The friken bush animals... I still get scared looking at them in real life at times. I also like the ending of the book way better. And there was so much extra detail in the book of what the characters were thinking... I loved it. Lol

There's a mini series that was more faithful to the book. It was OK, but the acting was a little unfortunate. I've resigned myself to never being entirely satisfied with King adaptations - a lot of the things he does in his books just dont seem to translate to the screen. Though 11/22/63 has been my favorite so far.

I leave my job in a little over a month to have ankle surgery. I've been with that clinic for five years. It's definitely a weird feeling.
I only started in September but I've had to remind myself not to feel bad that my leaving will probably cause stress because it takes forever for this company to replace people (we only just hired and started training another full time tech after one was fired MONTHS ago). Even though they've known I was going to leave during the summer since they hired me, still feel bad for my coworkers.

There's a mini series that was more faithful to the book. It was OK, but the acting was a little unfortunate. I've resigned myself to never being entirely satisfied with King adaptations - a lot of the things he does in his books just dont seem to translate to the screen. Though 11/22/63 has been my favorite so far.

The Green Mile is the only King book/movie that were legitimately on the same level. IMO.

Well I officially have a good book list to bring with me to vet school now ;)

Reactions: 6 users
I never mastered the whole "reading" thing... it seems to conflict with my body's natural desire to pass out when seeing multiple words on a single page.

I never mastered the whole "reading" thing... it seems to conflict with my body's natural desire to pass out when seeing multiple words on a single page.

Same! It's like a defense mechanism my body just shuts down

Although the only recent book able to keep my attention and is a great pool-side read... "I hope they serve beer in hell." It's been out for a while, but at least it keeps me awake ;)

Same. Plus I don't have the patience for reading.

I've always considered myself a reader, but the most I've ever read was about a book a week for a year in high school. More recently in undergrad, I've only been able to finish books over the summer. Somehow, procrastinating work via reading makes me guiltier than procrastinating via watching YouTube and shows online :confused:

Thanks to the readers here for inspiration and to the non-readers for being relatable :)

We're also at the point in the semester where the only major thing we have going on is hiring RAs. So I have a boat load of time from work as well. So I have read 200 pages in the last two day...... Though I say that and now I'll have an emergency a day for the next week.

We're also at the point in the semester where the only major thing we have going on is hiring RAs. So I have a boat load of time from work as well. So I have read 200 pages in the last two day...... Though I say that and now I'll have an emergency a day for the next week.
Exactly my thoughts, don't jinx yourself! :eek:

Offbeat sci-fi/mystery book recommendation - 14 by Peter Clines. It's weird as all get out, but definitely kept me interested, and it's kind of fun.

I tried to read Maze Runner but could never get into it.

I finished Maze Runner out of pure stubborness. I started it, I was darn sure I would finish it.

Exactly my thoughts, don't jinx yourself! :eek:

Just 37 days until I kick the kiddos out! They made the first 6 weeks of the semester hell, why not the last 6? lol.

Although the only recent book able to keep my attention and is a great pool-side read... "I hope they serve beer in hell." It's been out for a while, but at least it keeps me awake ;)
Hah! I read this book in high school when it came out. It's definitely an entertaining read

It's hard for me to get into to novels, I normally like autobiographical stories and memoirs. The last novel I read was "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and it was fantastic...told from a dog's point of view :)

Currently reading Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin...I've been reading it for a long time though because I normally only read on vacation. This thread is making me want to spend a whole day reading!!

On the topic of book recommendations, is there a thread dedicated to this? There's the OT: Pre-Vet Gamers, and if there isn't one already, there should definitely be one for books :D

On the topic of book recommendations, is there a thread dedicated to this? There's the OT: Pre-Vet Gamers, and if there isn't one already, there should definitely be one for books :D

Nope, start one if you wish.

I finished Maze Runner out of pure stubborness. I started it, I was darn sure I would finish it.
This gets me into trouble a lot... and is the only reason I read all of: Divergent, Twilight, 50 Shades, Maze Runner...

Didn't particularly enjoy any of the series, but I'll be damned if I didn't at least give them all a fair shot and finish them. Also I just have to know how the story ends... even if it's not a well written story and I don't particularly care about the characters, I still have to know how it ends...

This gets me into trouble a lot... and is the only reason I read all of: Divergent, Twilight, 50 Shades, Maze Runner...

Didn't particularly enjoy any of the series, but I'll be damned if I didn't at least give them all a fair shot and finish them. Also I just have to know how the story ends... even if it's not a well written story and I don't particularly care about the characters, I still have to know how it ends...
That's what wikipedia is for ;) i used to finish books out of spite but i no longer have the time or patience for it. If I'm not into it, it gets shelved until i feel like giving it another chance. This happened with A Game of Thrones the first time i tried to read it.

That's what wikipedia is for ;) i used to finish books out of spite but i no longer have the time or patience for it. If I'm not into it, it gets shelved until i feel like giving it another chance. This happened with A Game of Thrones the first time i tried to read it.
o_O
I devoured that series. So much so that the second time I read them I learned so much new stuff that I had completely skimmed the first time :p

o_O
I devoured that series. So much so that the second time I read them I learned so much new stuff that I had completely skimmed the first time :p
I'm a very character-driven reader. First time I tried to read it I couldn't keep the characters straight because there were too many introduced too quickly. Now I'm hesitant to go forward with the series because I know lots of characters die. The death itself doesn't bother me as much as the idea of constant character turnover. Leaves a reader like me without a tether to keep me going in the series. I don't keep reading g to find out what happens in general, but rather to find out what happens to particular people and how they evolve. If the ones I care about keep getting dead...:shrug:

I'm a very character-driven reader. First time I tried to read it I couldn't keep the characters straight because there were too many introduced too quickly. Now I'm hesitant to go forward with the series because I know lots of characters die. The death itself doesn't bother me as much as the idea of constant character turnover. Leaves a reader like me without a tether to keep me going in the series. I don't keep reading g to find out what happens in general, but rather to find out what happens to particular people and how they evolve. If the ones I care about keep getting dead...:shrug:
there are still tethers. He just kills most of them, not all of them

I would suggest not doing what I did and start doing so the week before finals. I've never read so many pages so quickly in my life.
Haha. It took me a couple months to finish AGOT. Does not seem to be one that inspires binge reading for me.

Loved game of thrones!!