Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a very character-driven reader. First time I tried to read it I couldn't keep the characters straight because there were too many introduced too quickly. Now I'm hesitant to go forward with the series because I know lots of characters die. The death itself doesn't bother me as much as the idea of constant character turnover. Leaves a reader like me without a tether to keep me going in the series. I don't keep reading g to find out what happens in general, but rather to find out what happens to particular people and how they evolve. If the ones I care about keep getting dead...:shrug:
I can definitely relate to this. I like to have a few characters that are well developed and when there's too many I tend to lose interest. I flew through 1-3, made it through 4, but have stalled out on 5. The combination of so. many. characters and not a lot happening in the last two books (compared to the relatively quick pace of the first three) has kind of killed the magic for me. I'll probably get around to finishing it this summer.

Maze Runner 1-3: Thought they were okay... But not the best.
Red Rising 1-3: Absolutely love this trilogy; I was blowing up my Snapchat every time something happened. Probably my second/third favorite series of all time.
Codex of Alera 3 (currently on 4): Think this is awesome as well. Finished 3 yesterday and got started on 4 and already on page 130.

I don't have a goal. But I'm not going to slow down any time soon. lol. The next one will be The Martian.

Just finished the Red Rising Trilogy. Couldn't put it down for a second, it was fantastic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished the Red Rising Trilogy. Couldn't put it down for a second, it was fantastic.

Amirite?!?! Seriously my second favorite series ever. I really hope that if they make it into a movie, they go R rated and go all out on it. But they also don't necessarily need to make a movie ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Finally broke the news to my boss. She handled it much better than I expected her to. At least once she got over her initial panic when she thought I was leaving this week.
She even offered letters of rec from her or some of our pathologists if I ever needed them.

Reactions: 10 users
Bumping this thread! How's everyone else doing with finding housing? I put down a deposit on an apartment in Manhattan this past weekend! So relieved to have that taken care of. It's kind of expensive, but I was impressed with the place, it's close to campus, and I think I'll be happy there.

Also only 39 more days until my last day of work! It cannot go by fast enough. The clinic I work at has been super busy lately, and I'm beyond ready to get away from one of my co-workers in particular. Although that also means 40 days until I have to move out of my current apartment. :( This place is gorgeous, super cheap and has great management, so I'm really going to miss it. If I hadn't gotten into vet school this year, the one silver lining would have been getting to stay in this apartment. Plus it feels like I JUST moved in here, and ughhh I hate packing. But anyway, then I'll be going on an epic road trip with my boyfriend for almost all of June, living with my parents and being a couch potato for all of July, and then beginning of August I'll be moving to Manhattan! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Bumping this thread! How's everyone else doing with finding housing? I put down a deposit on an apartment in Manhattan this past weekend! So relieved to have that taken care of. It's kind of expensive, but I was impressed with the place, it's close to campus, and I think I'll be happy there.

Also only 39 more days until my last day of work! It cannot go by fast enough. The clinic I work at has been super busy lately, and I'm beyond ready to get away from one of my co-workers in particular. Although that also means 40 days until I have to move out of my current apartment. :( This place is gorgeous, super cheap and has great management, so I'm really going to miss it. If I hadn't gotten into vet school this year, the one silver lining would have been getting to stay in this apartment. Plus it feels like I JUST moved in here, and ughhh I hate packing. But anyway, then I'll be going on an epic road trip with my boyfriend for almost all of June, living with my parents and being a couch potato for all of July, and then beginning of August I'll be moving to Manhattan! :soexcited:

That sounds awesome! I just nailed down an apartment this week, too - really happy with it, and really happy to have found a place to live! Roomie and I move in in a few weeks. Now to focus on to making it to graduation!

I signed a lease a week after I was accepted... In February... Woops :p I'm bringing two cats and the pet friendly one bedrooms in the area were either crappy or way over my budget, so when the leasing company I wanted let me sign before preleasing officially started, I jumped on it.

Your road trip sounds fun!

I'm probably working until the day before I move over, and only have a few weekend camping and beach trips planned.

We're about to sign a lease on a cute little house in Manhattan! When I say little, I mean really little, but we're excited to downsize from our large house. Less cleaning, yay!! And less yard work, double yay!! It feels good to have found something and we're moving in just a couple months.

The senioritis has hit me so hard especially since I'm in the process of planning my wedding. I keep picking out colors and flowers and stupid things like that instead of memorizing metabolism pathways.

But just about 2 weeks til my last class, 3ish weeks til finals, 4ish weeks til graduation, and 5ish weeks til I'm a married lady!

Reactions: 3 users
So 2020-ers... how are things these days? :)

I just moved into my apartment about a week ago, and start my summer job in a few days. I've been enjoying some quiet days in the meantime. Hoping to get out and do some birding at some point this weekend.

Reactions: 2 users
15 days left of work for me! Also 16 days until I move out of my current apartment, put most of my stuff in storage for 2 months, and move back in with my parents for a bit. 23 days until my 24th birthday, and 26 days until my boyfriend and I set off on our road trip! :D

Two more finals to go, graduation on Saturday, and then getting rid of a bunch of junk and preparing for the move to Iowa! Possibly a small vacation, too...? I'm excited. :D

Finishing up my thesis and preparing to defend July 8, then preparing for a conference from July 19-24. Then I'm done until vet school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduate on Saturday. All my family got in today! Then working through June before moving to Oklahoma in July! I'm excited to have some time off this summer.

Reactions: 4 users
Just graduated today!!!
ImageUploadedBySDN1463096799.010212.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Just graduated today!!!
emoji4.png
Congrats! And cute dress!!!

As for me, I'm still chugging along at my postdoc. We're trying to perform as many animal surgeries as possible before I leave at the end of July, so it's going to be a busy last few months. I'm also trying to get some weekend trips planned, because I can't take a long vacation unfortunately. Trying to relax as much as possible!

I am a long time follower who just now decided to come out from the shadows....:ninja:

I can't believe I am actually going to be starting vet school in August. (This was my second time applying. I first applied for the class of 2018 and then took a gap year.) It still feels surreal, that I have been accepted! I have 5 weeks left at my job as a research associate and then I too am moving to Oklahoma in mid-June. I guess @alohacat319 that makes us classmates?! :)

Reactions: 7 users
Finally finished up biochem and am officially done with everything I need! Just have to update my tetanus tomorrow so I can get my transcript released and sent to school.

Then it's work until the end of July and move sometime in August. Not going to lie - I'm anxious as hell and more anxious than anything.

I am a long time follower who just now decided to come out from the shadows....:ninja:

I can't believe I am actually going to be starting vet school in August. (This was my second time applying. I first applied for the class of 2018 and then took a gap year.) It still feels surreal, that I have been accepted! I have 5 weeks left at my job as a research associate and then I too am moving to Oklahoma in mid-June. I guess @alohacat319 that makes us classmates?! :)
I see that you're from KC. MO or KS, out of curiosity? I'm in Joplin for undergrad but I'm originally from the Belton/Raymore area. Always good to see someone from that general neck of the woods around here.

Congrats on OkSU and welcome to SDN! :hello:

I graduated this past Saturday! I'm just going to be working until July 14th. I have some exciting trips and vacations planned for the summer! Gotta get in all the fun before vet school starts :smuggrin: Planning on moving to Columbia, MO the second week of August... We have our orientation on August 14th and start classes on the 22nd of that month! When does everyone else start? :)

I also graduated this past Saturday. Now I'm working until I move to Baton Rouge towards the end of July! They are offering an anatomy pre course the first week of August so I'll be participating in that. That is followed by a "leadership experience"day and three days of orientation that culminate in a professional coating ceremony. Classes start August 18. It can't come soon enough.

I also graduated this past Saturday. Now I'm working until I move to Baton Rouge towards the end of July! They are offering an anatomy pre course the first week of August so I'll be participating in that. That is followed by a "leadership experience"day and three days of orientation that culminate in a professional coating ceremony. Classes start August 18. It can't come soon enough.
I'm taking the prep class, too. Are you signed up for morning or afternoon?

I'm trying not to think about moving, even though it's coming up quickly. Paring down and packing are not my strong suits.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I see that you're from KC. MO or KS, out of curiosity? I'm in Joplin for undergrad but I'm originally from the Belton/Raymore area. Always good to see someone from that general neck of the woods around here.

Congrats on OkSU and welcome to SDN! :hello:

Thank you for your congratulations. And congrats to you on ISU!

I currently live in KCK but I have only lived here for a few years. I was born and raised in the Sunshine State.

For Oklahoma State, orientation is the week of Aug 8th and then classes begin Aug 15th.

Thank you for your congratulations. And congrats to you on ISU!

I currently live in KCK but I have only lived here for a few years. I was born and raised in the Sunshine State.

For Oklahoma State, orientation is the week of Aug 8th and then classes begin Aug 15th.
Oh, awesome! I bet KS is quite a bit different from where you're from, then. Ha. I was just curious. ;)

Oh, and to answer ImAVet's question... our orientation starts August 17th, we have white coat on the 19th, and then the start of classes is the 22nd!

Every time I get an email at my vet school email address...

giphy.gif

Vdubs03 and Posey, I am taking the anatomy class as well. The morning session filled quickly. I'll be going in the afternoon. A friend of mine, who also got in to LSU, and I have a place on Brightside and will be moving in the beginning of August. In addition to packing up and moving, even though I'm just a short distance away in New Orleans, I have to find homes for my two horses. UGH!!! The whole process makes me anxious!!!

Vdubs03 and Posey, I am taking the anatomy class as well. The morning session filled quickly. I'll be going in the afternoon. A friend of mine, who also got in to LSU, and I have a place on Brightside and will be moving in the beginning of August. In addition to packing up and moving, even though I'm just a short distance away in New Orleans, I have to find homes for my two horses. UGH!!! The whole process makes me anxious!!!
I'll be in the afternoon session with you.
This whole move has me a bit frazzled, too. Somehow, I think moving a short distance might be more difficult, though. I'd be tempted to try to do things in stages instead of one fell swoop.
Are you looking to board your horses or rehome them?

This whole move has me a bit frazzled, too. Somehow, I think moving a short distance might be more difficult, though. I'd be tempted to try to do things in stages instead of one fell swoop.
Are you looking to board your horses or rehome them?
I'm looking for a foster that will allow me to take them back in the summer. Good luck on that one though. People get attached. I can't really afford full board while in school and most of the pasture boarding is expensive as well. They are great horses but it's hard to find a home for them without the person wanting to show them (barrel racing) to death. My guys are used to hanging out and being lazy. haha!!! I'm just trying to get a grip on changing my entire lifestyle as I know it..... my job, my house, my horses, my friends..... ugh!!! My only normalcy is going to be my poodle. She's definately coming with me. Have you joined our facebook page?

I am so excited for you guys! Going to be an excellent year for sure. I usually get to welcome you guys during orientation before earning your hatred for histo, so I look forward to getting under your skins. haha

I'll be in the afternoon session with y'all too!

As for my summer, I'm officially done with work after 5 years, and now I'm recovering from ankle surgery. Making the most of it and getting in a lot of reading and Netflix! Then Disney World in July, after my foot heals. I'll be back just in time for LSU's anatomy prep course, and then it's time to hit the ground running. :nailbiting:

I'm looking for a foster that will allow me to take them back in the summer. Good luck on that one though. People get attached. I can't really afford full board while in school and most of the pasture boarding is expensive as well. They are great horses but it's hard to find a home for them without the person wanting to show them (barrel racing) to death. My guys are used to hanging out and being lazy. haha!!! I'm just trying to get a grip on changing my entire lifestyle as I know it..... my job, my house, my horses, my friends..... ugh!!! My only normalcy is going to be my poodle. She's definately coming with me. Have you joined our facebook page?
Random thought, but would they be good for therapy riding? Maybe a therapeutic riding organization could board them in exchange for letting them be ridden?
I hear you about the major lifestyle change.
I'm on the class fb and the buy, sell, trade pages.

I'll be in the afternoon session with y'all too!

As for my summer, I'm officially done with work after 5 years, and now I'm recovering from ankle surgery. Making the most of it and getting in a lot of reading and Netflix! Then Disney World in July, after my foot heals. I'll be back just in time for LSU's anatomy prep course, and then it's time to hit the ground running. :nailbiting:
Good luck with the ankle surgery!

Good luck with the ankle surgery!
Thank you! The surgery went pretty smoothly, I just can't bear weight on the foot for 6 weeks which is lame. But again, forced relaxation before vet school! Haha.
I am also in the afternoon session! This is awesome.
That's so cool!! I'm so excited to meet you guys!

Getting ready to move, finally have most of the logistics planned, now I just need to get packing. I'm so pumped. Cost of living is going to be so much cheaper.

A friend of mine is trying to pay her loan interest while she's in school so she only has to pay her principle to graduate. Anyone else heard of people doing that?

Oh, awesome! I bet KS is quite a bit different from where you're from, then. Ha. I was just curious. ;)

Oh, and to answer ImAVet's question... our orientation starts August 17th, we have white coat on the 19th, and then the start of classes is the 22nd!
You guys get your white coats before clinical year? Thats awesome! We get ours right before our clinical years (October of our third year)

A friend of mine is trying to pay her loan interest while she's in school so she only has to pay her principle to graduate. Anyone else heard of people doing that?
If you can figure out the math, it's typically better to just take out less loans to start with than use the same loans to pay off the accruing interest. My goals have been to take out as little loans as possible and I work very part time to make up any deficit along with my savings account.

Less than 50 days left at my current job. Then a week at the lake. Then Fur Trade Days. Then a week at the lake. Then my friends' wedding. Then a week and half at the lake. Then tooth implant surgery. Then two weeks on my parents' couch. Then school.

Graduated on the 6th! I just took up a waitressing job. I would only be working during the restaurant's busy times and I decided I'd take a break from animal related things, since that'll be my life's work here shortly :p my parents are moving soon, and since I moved back in, I have to move with them. On top of that, I'll be moving to Starkville Mid June. Orientation starts June 23rd, coating ceremony on the 24th, and my first block starts the following Monday!

Getting ready to move, finally have most of the logistics planned, now I just need to get packing. I'm so pumped. Cost of living is going to be so much cheaper.

I wish I could find it now, but there was a post a little while back (I believe by @Minnerbelle?) that went over the calculations, and in the long run it is as kcoughli said. If you have extra money, better to save that money and take out less loans the next year than use the money to pay interest.

I've never been a big fan of packing, but packing when I'm not moving to Kansas until August and most of my stuff is going in storage for 2 months is especially annoying. I'm moving out of my apartment next Saturday and I have about four boxes packed. :whistle:

I've never been a big fan of packing, but packing when I'm not moving to Kansas until August and most of my stuff is going in storage for 2 months is especially annoying. I'm moving out of my apartment next Saturday and I have about four boxes packed. :whistle:

I have been packing to move out of my apartment by the 31st too. It's horrible. I've probably packed 20 boxes and I still have more to pack. Where does all of this stuff come from??

I have been packing to move out of my apartment by the 31st too. It's horrible. I've probably packed 20 boxes and I still have more to pack. Where does all of this stuff come from??

I'm not looking forward to moving either and I'm an OSU student already. I have been at the research branch of OSU in Wooster and I have to move to Coulumbus less than a month before classes start since that will be when my thesis and publications are done. :bullcrap:

Coating ceremony a month from yesterday... Oh my glob o_O

Only two more days left of work!!! Tomorrow's my last day as a receptionist at the clinic, and our annoying new receptionist is off tomorrow. Then Friday (my last day EVER) I'm a tech, and my least favorite tech co-worker is off that day. :soexcited: Neither of my jobs is completely awful, and I will miss most of my co-workers, but I'm just so burnt out from working two jobs. Words cannot express how much I'm looking forward to a relaxing, lazy summer.

Congrats, LG! I hope you have an awesome summer. :)

Anyone else freaking out about money, aside from loans? Money. Moneymoneymoneymoney. Why does everything cost so much money? Every month that I think I'm going to save more than $100-200, something somewhere crops up, and I HAVE to spend it. This is why I have to work until just about the last minute.

Starting to worry about finding a roommate. Man I hope I don't need to rely on a general posting on Craigslist. If I'm going to get murdered in Philadelphia, it is absolutely not going to happen in my own apartment at the hands of my creepy Craigslist roommate, dammit.

Anyone else freaking out about money, aside from loans? Money. Moneymoneymoneymoney. Why does everything cost so much money? Every month that I think I'm going to save more than $100-200, something somewhere crops up, and I HAVE to spend it. This is why I have to work until just about the last minute.

Starting to worry about finding a roommate. Man I hope I don't need to rely on a general posting on Craigslist. If I'm going to get murdered in Philadelphia, it is absolutely not going to happen in my own apartment at the hands of my creepy Craigslist roommate, dammit.
That's why you have to be the creepy Craigslist roommate and murder them first. :p

I definitely feel you on the money front. Didn't realize how expensive it'd be to move, rent a place, and all the other assorted crap I've got to get done before we go.

I guess it's loan related, but we get the $7000 maximum summer aid dispersed next month since we start in a summer term. When I was working out my budget, I was thinking I could save some and not take the full amount. Well, then I remebered I still need to buy the $2500 required computer they want us to have. And my $800 rabies shot. And then a parking pass. And who knows what else will come up?