Class of 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know, the idea of a gap year is really appealing! Having everything together from day one is great but it feels like endless planning and executing, and it would be nice to have a break from that :)

I know how you feel! Haha sometimes I just want to know where I'm going already. The anxiety of not knowing the future is SO nerve wrecking.

If you apply early, you'll know early in the fall and can relax after that haha. It's probably a good thing I'm not taking classes during my gap year because I would have zero motivation for undergraduate course work once accepted lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel you! The anxiety of not knowing whether I will get in or not is making me a nervous wreck. I have a lot of good qualities that will easily get me in but I also have a mid/low 3-point GPA :(

Practice MCAT's are making me a bit nervous. Some turn out really well while others make me scared. I am taking a course and I have not brushed up on my psychology and sociology yet and I know for a fact that that is the area of the MCAT where I am most lacking...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told by an advisor (although we all know how unreliable some can be) that the new MCAT will force a few more students to take gap years due to extra courses and things like ochem being required as a prereq for biochem.. anyways I am definitely a nontrad even though I am just graduating from undergrad this may. Took some time off to figure life out. Glad I did!

Applying this cycle officially after I got my January MCAT back, took the last one! I am excited. Applied to a super cool research job I hope to get too.
Anyone doing any cool activities/jobs/volunteering? relevant to med school or just for fun!

I was told by an advisor (although we all know how unreliable some can be) that the new MCAT will force a few more students to take gap years due to extra courses and things like ochem being required as a prereq for biochem.. anyways I am definitely a nontrad even though I am just graduating from undergrad this may. Took some time off to figure life out. Glad I did!

Applying this cycle officially after I got my January MCAT back, took the last one! I am excited. Applied to a super cool research job I hope to get too.
Anyone doing any cool activities/jobs/volunteering? relevant to med school or just for fun!
Going to Cambridge for a summer fellowship in May, then starting a job in August full-time in New York

Last edited:
Going to Cambridge for a summer fellowship in May, then starting a job in August full-time in New York

Well yes this would be classified as interesting and cool lol I hope you enjoy it and have a good time and learn stuff!

Reactions: 1 user

I definitely think that it'll be harder for non-biology/biochem/chemistry majors to complete all of the required classes on time! I know that the only reason I have room is because I had AP credit for gen bio, gen chem, and gen physics. Sometimes I look back and kind of regret having such a rigorously defined schedule because there are so many more interesting classes I would have taken instead! (especially in psychology)

I did a thing this semester where I am taking organic chemistry II and biochemistry II. I shouldn't actually be able to take biochemistry II; however, the biochemistry professors allowed for me to take the course since I am in the process of applying to medical school. The class overall is just more of a challenge since I am taking the pre-requisite at the same time as the course. I do require more study time for the course and I get a little extra help on the side from my medical school mentor, but I do pretty good!

My high school did not have AP courses, so I opted to take classes over the summer and now I am a bit ahead of where I should be in school. I'm now struggling to fill my remaining schedules...Trying to determine what other classes I should take in the fall and next spring (I only have 3 more courses (2 in fall 2015 and 1 in spring 2016) to graduate).

The new MCAT is scaring me. Last weekend I had taken a practice exam and I did well in areas that I had least expected! However, I did not do as hot in the behavioral sciences section. That may be because in my studying for the MCAT I have not yet gone over the psych/soc section on my own or in my MCAT course.

I did a thing this semester where I am taking organic chemistry II and biochemistry II. I shouldn't actually be able to take biochemistry II; however, the biochemistry professors allowed for me to take the course since I am in the process of applying to medical school. The class overall is just more of a challenge since I am taking the pre-requisite at the same time as the course. I do require more study time for the course and I get a little extra help on the side from my medical school mentor, but I do pretty good!

My high school did not have AP courses, so I opted to take classes over the summer and now I am a bit ahead of where I should be in school. I'm now struggling to fill my remaining schedules...Trying to determine what other classes I should take in the fall and next spring (I only have 3 more courses (2 in fall 2015 and 1 in spring 2016) to graduate).

The new MCAT is scaring me. Last weekend I had taken a practice exam and I did well in areas that I had least expected! However, I did not do as hot in the behavioral sciences section. That may be because in my studying for the MCAT I have not yet gone over the psych/soc section on my own or in my MCAT course.

Oh wow ochem 2 and biochem 2! Fun semester! But good for you doing well, hopefully at least one adcom notices and sees that, shows you can handle a lot at once!

When are you taking the MCAT? Good news is the behavioral sciences section is probably the easiest to improve on in a short amount of time. If verbal is good then that section will be fine too I bet. Good luck, have you ever taken an old practice test? Just wondering how they compare!

I'm planning on taking Kaplan's online MCAT 2015 practice exam this Thursday! Although I'm pretty sure it's only going to tell me what I already know, which is that I need to study :rolleyes:

Oh wow ochem 2 and biochem 2! Fun semester! But good for you doing well, hopefully at least one adcom notices and sees that, shows you can handle a lot at once!

When are you taking the MCAT? Good news is the behavioral sciences section is probably the easiest to improve on in a short amount of time. If verbal is good then that section will be fine too I bet. Good luck, have you ever taken an old practice test? Just wondering how they compare!
*insert crying* MIDTERMS!!! Anyways, yes! You're completely correct with me being in the position in which I am handing a lot all at once school wise. It's normally fine; however, this week and next I have midterms and I'm really starting to stress out...:/ and hey - with a good GPA, I'm sure an adcom would take notice. It may help that I work part/full time (full time only on the holidays or during breaks) as well as take all of the hard classes. I've also been told that I can deal well with situations under pressure - I'm pretty sure I became good at it because of my tough classes

I'm taking the MCAT May 22nd at 8AM! I'm glad that the behavioral sciences will be something i can pick up the concepts to fast. I was going to check the AAMC for some of their supplemental materials for that section...I took a practice exam of the old MCAT and got a 32 so it's not too bad? But the practice exam of the new MCAT I was just above average...which is okay, but I need to work on a few concepts and practice more.

I'm planning on taking Kaplan's online MCAT 2015 practice exam this Thursday! Although I'm pretty sure it's only going to tell me what I already know, which is that I need to study :rolleyes:

I did that, and will do all of the free exams until the end of time because I need so much practice...:(

*insert crying* MIDTERMS!!! Anyways, yes! You're completely correct with me being in the position in which I am handing a lot all at once school wise. It's normally fine; however, this week and next I have midterms and I'm really starting to stress out...:/ and hey - with a good GPA, I'm sure an adcom would take notice. It may help that I work part/full time (full time only on the holidays or during breaks) as well as take all of the hard classes. I've also been told that I can deal well with situations under pressure - I'm pretty sure I became good at it because of my tough classes

I'm taking the MCAT May 22nd at 8AM! I'm glad that the behavioral sciences will be something i can pick up the concepts to fast. I was going to check the AAMC for some of their supplemental materials for that section...I took a practice exam of the old MCAT and got a 32 so it's not too bad? But the practice exam of the new MCAT I was just above average...which is okay, but I need to work on a few concepts and practice more.

I did that, and will do all of the free exams until the end of time because I need so much practice...:(

Oh good luck! I know how hard it is to work a part time job while trying to keep your grades up :/ Nice job on the MCAT practice! How long have you been studying? I think I'm going to sign up for a Princeton Review course for the hyperlearning books and piece of mind.

Anyone else itching to start this process? I just want to start applying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Not really haha! My prehealth office just sent out a readiness questionnaire for those of us looking for committee letters and I completely freaked out again! I took a practice MCAT yesterday and got a 501, whatever that means :confused: It did confirm that I need to review gen chem as I haven't taken that in 3-4 years, although it's nice to have a starting point! I feel a bit better because I finished every section in about 1/2 the time allotted (to be fair, I wasn't taking it too seriously and I guessed on a lot of the PS & BS questions...)

I'm excited but nervous to start this process! It seems like its getting tougher each year to get in, but I want to finally throw my hat in the ring!

Oh good luck! I know how hard it is to work a part time job while trying to keep your grades up :/ Nice job on the MCAT practice! How long have you been studying? I think I'm going to sign up for a Princeton Review course for the hyperlearning books and piece of mind.
Oh, you have no idea how hard it can be! I'm just glad that I have a job now where I can make my own schedule. It's easier to keep up my grades now that I have a very flexible schedule :).
And thanks! MCAT studying has been going on since the beginning of this year in January. I'm starting to become really stressed about it since I basically have 2.5 months.

YES. I'm so ready it hurts...:/ I hate waiting

Results for my Pre-Medical society came in - I didn't get president but I got House of Representatives Officer! :)

ugh I hate asking for rec letters. I'm trying to finalize my list of people to ask right now.

ugh I hate asking for rec letters. I'm trying to finalize my list of people to ask right now.
Ughh it can be so hard!
One professor was super easy, great, done.
Other one I asked in DECEMBER, he said he would do it and he never got it in, not on campus anymore so I emailed, probably should call but he is super busy, and I haven't heard back. I guess I'll cut my losses and try and find someone else but ugh he didn't have to agree to do it he could have just said no! I would have found someone but now I feel like I'm scrambling.
Super annoying.
But yeah good luck ask maybe one extra just in case one professor has an issue, wish I had planned for that! I need mine in to the committee by May 1 so I'm not giving a ton of extra time now which I feel bad about. Are you going through a committee? Any specific deadline you're giving your writers?

I asked people way back in February for mine...I believe I chose a good few individuals in which know me quite well :)

Are you going through a committee? Any specific deadline you're giving your writers?

Yeah I'm going through my committee and they just say to have the letters in by the end of May. I think I'm going to give the deadline as the first week of May . One of my former PIs wrote a rec letter for me before and he sent it in late, so I want to avoid that this time. I hope I'm giving enough time.

I just want to check in with this thread, as I will be applying for the class of 2020 as well! Currently trying to focus my school list keeping in mind my limited interview availability this upcoming year...

Hmm...does anybody know of any interesting topics in physiology in which incorporate medicine?! I'm trying to think of topics for my independent study course I will be taking and I should preferably have a few select topics by next week :)

Hmm...does anybody know of any interesting topics in physiology in which incorporate medicine?! I'm trying to think of topics for my independent study course I will be taking and I should preferably have a few select topics by next week :)

Did you end up deciding on a topic yet?? Anything cool?

Also, unrelated but I have a weird question that someone here might know? The only big thing missing from my app is research experience, and this summer I was hoping to get involved. I ended up, however, getting a pretty great job opportunity with a physician as her "intern" helping with a lot of different things. Anyways, it is good clinical work but she does not do any clinical research.
Since I haven't heard from any research inquiries and this job seems cool, I am going to do it, but, is it at all possible or does anyone here have any experience doing research in evening hours or on weekends? This is a full time job during the week. I'm guessing it is rare, but thought I would ask

Did you end up deciding on a topic yet?? Anything cool?

Also, unrelated but I have a weird question that someone here might know? The only big thing missing from my app is research experience, and this summer I was hoping to get involved. I ended up, however, getting a pretty great job opportunity with a physician as her "intern" helping with a lot of different things. Anyways, it is good clinical work but she does not do any clinical research.
Since I haven't heard from any research inquiries and this job seems cool, I am going to do it, but, is it at all possible or does anyone here have any experience doing research in evening hours or on weekends? This is a full time job during the week. I'm guessing it is rare, but thought I would ask

You could possibly look into any sleep labs! I applied to a couple of internships at sleep labs and, based on the research they do, their labs have to be staffed 24/7. I'm sure that out of all of the shifts (7 AM - 3 PM, 3 PM - 11 PM, 11 PM - 7 AM, etc.), the afternoon/overnight/weekend shifts would be the least popular. As a plus, I think you get paid a differential (a little more) on weekends and holidays!

Are y'all still alive? lol

I think I finalized my school list! And I have one more rec to ask for from my academic adviser/professor; I tried to set up a meeting like 2 weeks ago but he never answers his email -_- Better get started on my PS soon but I have finals and graduation taking up all of my upcoming time.

Are y'all still alive? lol

I think I finalized my school list! And I have one more rec to ask for from my academic adviser/professor; I tried to set up a meeting like 2 weeks ago but he never answers his email -_- Better get started on my PS soon but I have finals and graduation taking up all of my upcoming time.
No...I'm not alive. I take my MCAT in a month and I'm a bit on "OMG I GOTTA STUDY AHH!" mode and it does not help that finals are next week as well and I still have to write a 10 page paper. *sigh*
I've got to start on my PS too! I have my school list finalized and my 15 things chosen. The letters of recommendation should be coming in as well!
Stress, we meet again...:help:

I guess I'll revive this thread since the application has been open for a few weeks now. How's everyone progressing? PS is giving me the most trouble at the moment.

Filling out this app makes me want to take a shot of potassium. /sobs

Haven't started any of my essays... Taking a 30+hr/week job for this week and the next was probably a bad idea.

I guess I'll revive this thread since the application has been open for a few weeks now. How's everyone progressing? PS is giving me the most trouble at the moment.
I'm done, just revising and waiting to submit. Some of my "most meaningful" blurbs could use a little work...new job starts next week so I'm prewriting any secondaries I can now before the time gets all sucked up.

Filling out this app makes me want to take a shot of potassium. /sobs
If anything, it teaches you to have some better record of your work! I learned that from college apps.....

I feel at this point my PS has gotten into the territory of "probably not hurting me anymore". Which is sufficient for me at least. Last major push is for the most meaningful blurbs, which have been written but I haven't had anyone look over them. Oh, and entering course information (which I hope doesn't lead to administrative hold ups).

I'm mostly done with my application, just waiting for one last person to get back to me with feedback on my PS. I want to start pre-writing secondaries now because I start my full-time research job on Tuesday. But I just took the MCAT on Friday, and even though I think I did well, for all I know I totally bombed it. So I don't want to end up pre-writing secondaries for schools that I will have no chance at if I end up with a bad MCAT score. Should I start pre-writing now or wait until June 12th when I get my preliminary percentiles?

@Lannister I would start prewriting the secondaries that you know that you will apply to no matter what. Wait on the reaches until you have the preliminary percentiles.

How's AMCAS going for everyone now? Progress? I'm ready to submit next week, maybe on Friday. 3 of my 5 LORs are in already, hopefully the two other writers finish on time next week as well!

Ah it feels good (I think?) to be back on sdn! Still making my way through the AMCAS, not yet at the PS. Letter writers are a tad sluggish but I am not too worried. Still picking out school list...

I have 4/6 letters in and should have the last two in by the end of last week. Still have my essays to do and my work/activities section to finish. I'm aiming to submit by the 14th since I should be verified by July 1st if I submit then (assuming the trend from previous years continues). Once my job ends tomorrow I'll have so much free time to finish.

My school does a committee letter, but doesn't send it until we submit AMCAS. So I have to submit on Tuesday since apparently it will take them 4-6 weeks to write/send the letter. Hoping for the best!

My school does a committee letter, but doesn't send it until we submit AMCAS. So I have to submit on Tuesday since apparently it will take them 4-6 weeks to write/send the letter. Hoping for the best!
Same here. Need to provide full AMCAS before the letter is written/sent. Dumbbbb

How's AMCAS going for everyone now? Progress? I'm ready to submit next week, maybe on Friday. 3 of my 5 LORs are in already, hopefully the two other writers finish on time next week as well!

Exact same! 3 of 5 letters in, waiting for two more who'll hopefully send them in in the coming days. Hoping to submit by Tuesday or Wednesday

The letters are the most frustrating!! I asked one in MARCH and she is just now doing it, she is a known procrastinator but man does she write great letters. She will be my strongest and one that I think is vital to my app, so I am waiting patiently! Unfortunately I've been complete for TMDSAS for several weeks now and finished the secondaries early but had to wait on this. I think she is doing it today though! But seems like I will be all ready for AMCAS which my favorite schools are under so that's a plus! Hopefully that bit about OOS schools not considering Texans isn't all true, my top choices are OOS.

Anyways hope everyone is doing well! I can't believe it's time to apply already.

I wouldn't even worry. My undergrad's committee doesn't even start sending out letters until around August.

I never understand why committees wait until August, I've heard multiple people say theirs do though so you're not alone. Bu yeah that must be super frustrating.

Just a 2019-er popping in to bid everyone good luck! I remember being terrified the day before AMCAS submission, but once it's in you can put your feet up and relax (or frantically pre-write secondaries ;) ).

Even though I looked over my AMCAs nearly twenty different times, there were still a few little errors that slipped through... and even though I requested LORs back in March, there were still writers who flaked and those who sent the letter in somewhat late. At the time I was this great ball of nervous energy, worrying about my chances and this and that – but in retrospect I ought to have just taken a SDN break and waited for things to run their course. There comes a time in this process where everything is out of your hands. Over a year later, I can say that I've made some awesome friends in my "Class of" thread and that their support has been invaluable. You guys have a lot ahead of you, but you're all in good company.

tl;dr: try not to sweat the small stuff. Take a SDN break if need be. It's a long, anxiety-inducing, expensive, and tiresome process, but it can also be a helluva lot of fun. Best of luck and I hope to be seeing some of you come interview time! :luck:

Reactions: 8 users
I just need to stop editing my personal statement. I was "done", but then a med school friend who reviews applications gave me some major changes to consider, and now I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed. Will definitely be relieved tomorrow when I hit submit!

Just now started on AMCAS. Never again in my life will I ever procrastinate again :eek:

I just need to stop editing my personal statement. I was "done", but then a med school friend who reviews applications gave me some major changes to consider, and now I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed. Will definitely be relieved tomorrow when I hit submit!

Are you a Gothic horror fan?!? You should seriously check out Penny Dreadful!

Same here. Need to provide full AMCAS before the letter is written/sent. Dumbbbb

Oh hi! Didn't know you're also in the same boat as us!

Ahhhhhhh it opens tomorrow! :eek::eek::eek: